Roster Building Thread - Part XII

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
How about swapping CK and Bread.

Let Bread and Mika play pond hockey and CK/Tro/Laf play N/S crash and cycle hockey.

Two different looks that cause match up problems for some teams.

Play what works and make ice time adjustments based on opponent reactions.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It’s like Art Laffer writing Nixon an economic theory on a napkin at dinner except we get it from Bern 24/7
thanks except don't compare me to screwball Art Laffer w/his discredited trickle down shit that doesn't work
when I say I may have reinvented the wheel on restructuring the international monetary system
given time I can prove my theory checks out, dots connect etc

and unlike Nixon, I am not a fraudster
or some SOB who wants to use Constitution for toilet paper
burn in hell tricky dick and go eff yourself after you kiss my patriotic USA lovin ass

get to know me peeps
buy some of my IP

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
We're outscoring the opposition 9-3 so far at 5v5 through two games and already are talking about blowing up all the line combos?

It's been a conversation for awhile tbh.

Two games, great...this has been a multiple season issue with the same players. We've seen streeks before.

The 5v5 argument has merit because that's been an issue so ill give you that there.

Other then that, if clauses prevent trades of players that don't work, then shuffling is the only option, no?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's been a conversation for awhile tbh.

Two games, great...this has been a multiple season issue with the same players. We've seen streeks before.

The 5v5 argument has merit because that's been an issue so ill give you that there.

Other then that, if clauses prevent trades of players that don't work, then shuffling is the only option, no?

No shuffling should occur after two games regardless of how good or bad the two games were

Reactions: Chytilmania

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Doesnt have to be career ending. Say he injuries his hip or knee late season and doesnt come back. It could be career altering but u dont know.

How can u justify that contract for 8 years?

Just saying its not cut and dry.

At this point the best course is to sign laf and let the season play out. No point in bidding against yourself.

Plus if jones, miller and kakko have big years it might change the dynamic.

Alot of factors in play. I would let the year play out if i were drury. Igors price cant go much higher, but things could happen over the course of the year that can make u think “ is igor really worth it?” Is losing players better to keep igor?

They should be in no rush. Especially since igoers list of suitors is probably almost non existent after us.
You let the year play out and all of a sudden he signs with the canadiens, no thanks

Also, not directed at you but I'd hate to mess with the 3rd line but Mika needs to be demoted and Chytil elevated to light some sort of fire under Zibs

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Money puck has our third line with a 70% xgf.

It’s also chytil and Kakko mostly, but cuylle does some heavy work on the forecheck.

It works because the line has players in a good role. Kakko can make plays with the puck, Chytil likes to carry the puck, both Kakko and Cuylle can retrieve pucks

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Dont know why people keep bringing that up, then just ignore the playoffs?

90% of goalies dont play back to back games, do we need him playing against buffalo and the sharks of the league to wear him down?

Also last i checked he’s playing 60 min a game, while forwards are playing 20. Can we factor the salary like that too for minutes played per dollar?

Lastely, how many games does he miss whem the real season starts? You know, the playoffs? Where he also elevates his game to godlike mode and has the best numbers by any goalie in the last 4 post seasons?

He’s getting paid, by the Rangers. The sooner some posters come to terms with that better off everyone will be.
First of all, 20 mins at forward is very different than 20 mins at defense is very different than 20 mins at goalie.

In no way am I suggesting Igor should be playing more games than he does; the point is that goalies do not play a workhorse workload anymore, not even close and that is a HUGE part of the reality of goalie contracts. Helly just signed for 8 and he's the closest thing to a true #1 with respect to games played, but somehow Igor seems to believe that he deserves a near 50% raise off that guy?

Igor has played great in the playoffs, that's true. How much of that is due to the fact that he gets platooned by a good team and good backups so that he can come into the playoffs rested and ready? I would say, comparing him to helly or saros or even vasi, quite a lot.

Where did I say he is or isn't getting the contract he wants. The discussion is about whether or not he should. You don't want to talk about it? Don't go to the message boards...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
First of all, 20 mins at forward is very different than 20 mins at defense is very different than 20 mins at goalie.

In no way am I suggesting Igor should be playing more games than he does; the point is that goalies do not play a workhorse workload anymore, not even close and that is a HUGE part of the reality of goalie contracts. Helly just signed for 8 and he's the closest thing to a true #1 with respect to games played, but somehow Igor seems to believe that he deserves a near 50% raise off that guy?

Igor has played great in the playoffs, that's true. How much of that is due to the fact that he gets platooned by a good team and good backups so that he can come into the playoffs rested and ready? I would say, comparing him to helly or saros or even vasi, quite a lot.

Where did I say he is or isn't getting the contract he wants. The discussion is about whether or not he should. You don't want to talk about it? Don't go to the message boards...

I was talking about it, you just didn't like my opinion. Can't handle other people opinions? Dont go the the message boards...

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I do not think Kreids should be going anywhere. He’s at 6.5m he could get us 40 goals again this year, and he’s unlikely to decline much during his contract. He’s a freak. Plus with the cap going up he’s worth his hit. At worst cut his 5v5 time and give younger guys more responsibility.
I could handle him as a 3rd line guy .....I'm not so sure though he could ! Some of these guys have been coddled forever . Even a shift every now and then here early in the season might give our current 3rd line some extra incentive and also push the old guys to get off their ass at 5 on 5 . Does Lavi have those kind of stones ?

Reactions: bhamill

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
It's not about consistency, its about paying for future performance vs past performance.
Kakko took a "show me" deal. he signed it 2 days after the season ended. That was absolutely a "i want to stay here, and i'm going to earn the deal".
Drury fails to pay kakko if he breaks out, it sends a message that a player should never want sign a "show me" contract.
We have the cap to sign kakko, its not that hard.
We're moving Lindgren, we're moving trouba, Shesty isn't going above 11 or he walks.
The cap is going up more than the 5 million it has.
We're gonna replace smith on our right side with perreault next year.
We actually have prospects. We've done well recently with drafting. The only thing we don't have is a center but thats a very very hard thing to get where we draft.

We'll be tight for 1 year, and thats it.
Kappo did not sign a show me deal as a favor. He signed a deal coming off a 19 point season. He had no choice to sign that deal as he did nothing last year. He still needs to prove he is an every day NHL player. If he has another 19 point season his value is almost nothing and he probably ends up on another team as a change of scenery candidate.

There is absolutely no message that is being sent to anyone if he breaks out. 19 point season and you think the Rangers should of signed him for more? Pretty sure the message on that 1 year deal is you do it again and you are gone.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I’m resisting the urge to give you a ton of snark.
The goals were good goals, 4 of the goals came from very in close and tough angle shots. Theres not really much you can do when that happens, and Igor made a bunch of good saves.
This is the argument against paying top goalies in case you’re not aware.

They can’t win games by themselves. If the team sucks, it doesn’t matter how good they are.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Igor is going to go take a blank check from like Chicago. He isn’t leaving NY to go to Carolina. If Carolina breaks the bank it’ll be for a forward(s). They wanted Guentzel back BAD, and you can see the Guentzel sized hole in their lineup right now
Chicago is another option. Guentzel was only in Carolina for a hand full of games their success wasn't based on him. Anderson is 35 years old and was medicore in the playoffs. Igor in their system would dominate. He covers up a ton of mistakes by Miller, Trouba, Lindgren and the kids. They sign Igor and I guarantee they top 2 in the metro for years.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Kappo did not sign a show me deal as a favor. He signed a deal coming off a 19 point season. He had no choice to sign that deal as he did nothing last year. He still needs to prove he is an every day NHL player. If he has another 19 point season his value is almost nothing and he probably ends up on another team as a change of scenery candidate.

There is absolutely no message that is being sent to anyone if he breaks out. 19 point season and you think the Rangers should of signed him for more? Pretty sure the message on that 1 year deal is you do it again and you are gone.
He was and is an RFA. That means if he thought he was worth more, he could've waited for free agency to begin, and seen if he'd get an offer sheet. Drury doesn't make that offer if he doesn't want kakko on the team, Kakko accepted because he wants to stay.

He signed it immediately, which says he knew his year was poor, and thus its a "show me deal"

Also lets keep this in context. He had 19 points in 61 games, which is .3 ppg with absolutely terrible center play. He went from Bonino to wennberg last season. His underlying metrics have looked positive.

Lastly. My discussion has been around "if he puts up 40 points again" then yes re-sign him because he does things that win games in the playoffs, and 40 points with his level of 5v5 and pp time, is not bad production.
My argument has been fairly consistent all off-season, and the past 2 games haven't hurt my argument either. He's a power forward and sometimes they take longer to develop. He also happens to be a power forward with really good defense. Those aren't easy to find.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
That might all be true, but none of it addresses the point I made about their cheapskate owner. He's not paying Igor or anyone else $91M.
A cheapskate owner would be up against the floor and not close to maxing the cap out. They have 2 or 3 million in cap space if they carry 13 forwards. 2 with and 3 without. Cheapskate is overblown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad