Roster Building Thread - Part XII

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If the reports are true, Drury is smart to get Lafreniere locked up before Igor. He should then approach KAM and see what he wants, and work backwards. Then he can go to Igor and say hey, look. This is all I have left are you really going to reject XX million AAV?
So Drury should corner himself leaving no room to maneuver and then ask Shesterkin to help him out of it? Got it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So Drury should corner himself leaving no room to maneuver and then ask Shesterkin to help him out of it? Got it.
If Shesterkin wants to get let's say, 12 million on an 8 year deal here, that's like 13.7M on any other team with a 7 year term. What team is willing to give that? And let's say that some team is, it ain't New York.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Shesterkin wants to get let's say, 12 million on an 8 year deal here, that's like 13.7M on any other team with a 7 year term. What team is willing to give that? And let's say that some team is, it ain't New York.
Completely agree on this point. Drury should stick to the whole contract value on 8 year deal that other teams would have to do in 7.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I vacillate over this all the time. On the one hand, goalies are kind of voodoo and Shesterkin doesn't quite seem to have the every year he's a Vezina finalist quality that Hank had. On the other, he really is very good and you can survive with a bad contract. If we're going to have someone overpaid anyway, I'd rather it be Shesterkin than Trouba.

I don't know. No easy answers. Que sera, sera.
This is basically how I feel every time I think about it. It sounds/looks kinda stupid written out, but I feel like both sides are equally likely to be the right choice. You can pretty easily make strong arguments for and against both sides. I feel like there's no way Igor doesn't get signed by NYR, and that the hang up is probably with term/protection more than anything. It will be interesting to see how the money tied up between Trouba and Lindgren is allocated.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why would Igor want a shorter deal?

If he goes into free agency at 34, he's not getting $11+M for those three years.
I refuse to believe that

1. Igor would be that stupid to take a shorter deal
2. Drury would be so stupid not to get the papers ready in 10 seconds if Igor showed any interest in signing for less than 8 years

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I have a feeling Igor signs for 11. He will realize that its far more money than he will get anywhere else cause of the 8th year. Perhaps he rejected it cause it didn't have an NMC that he wanted? I just find it impossible that someone will show up to UFA Day with 13 million plus.
I dont at all. Some team with a ton of cap room (likely a bottom 15 team) sees an opportunity to became a legit playoff team with Igor, an opportunity to market that and sell tickets and turn their franchise around? Someone will easily offer him that contract. Whether or not he wants to play for them is another story.

Reactions: kovazub94

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They are going to need to find another Dman somewhere. Kakko, who there is no way that they can pay this summer unless Igor leaves, is probably their best tool to do that. It’s simply asset management

I’ve been saying trade Igor for 3 years but here we are. Still think Igor deal gets done, but then other guys are going to get sacrificed. It’s inevitable, and we have no internal solutions on defense to replace Lindgren and Trouba who are both gone; and they might need to lose Jones too if they can’t bridge him. The NEED to find a Dman that isn’t breaking the bank in 2025-26

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They are going to need to find another Dman somewhere. Kakko, who there is no way that they can pay this summer unless Igor leaves, is probably their best tool to do that. It’s simply asset management

I’ve been saying trade Igor for 3 years but here we are. Still think Igor deal gets done, but then other guys are going to get sacrificed. It’s inevitable, and we have no internal solutions on defense to replace Lindgren and Trouba who are both gone; and they might need to lose Jones too if they can’t bridge him. The NEED to find a Dman that isn’t breaking the bank in 2025-26
Mancini is possibly one solution. Our first pick was a Dman. We may need a short term filler

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
And fans have spent a year plus trashing Kakko and wanting him dumped in many ways. Now it’s horrible thing f we can’t keep Kakko if we sign Igor? It’s between Igor and Kakko?

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
And fans have spent a year plus trashing Kakko and wanting him dumped in many ways. Now it’s horrible thing f we can’t keep Kakko if we sign Igor? It’s between Igor and Kakko?
I am one of the bigger fans of keeping Kakko around but if the only impact of Igor's contract is having to find someone cheaper in Kakko's spot, I would sign up for that in a heartbeat. I'm worried it'll cost us way more than that.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
If kappo has a break out year he will probably get traded. Ranger prospects are all wings and I doubt they break the bank on a guy who has had more mediocre seasons then good ones. Plus he has never had success on the top two lines. Terrible combo

Rangers nightmare.....Shesty signs in Carolina next year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mancini is possibly one solution. Our first pick was a Dman. We may need a short term filler
Yup. That’s why I said something along the lines of Kakko for Liljegren. Not flashy but makes sense. Liljegren 1 year left at 3m (saves money compared to Lindgren); if he doesn’t work out just let him walk. See if Laviolette can do what he did with Sandin again. Don’t think there are a ton of options out there that make as much sense as this; as of now anyway. Mancini getting a spot would be great; but we need more than one

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Igor may just think he's more likely to get 12 x 4 or 5 than 12x8. None of this has earned Igor points with me. I dont love Friedman and others reportage of the situation either.

There's this whole legend of Igor building bc we played two series against spam-shooting teams and Igor had a great performance. He's not a god he's a goalie. And if his hold up is needing to be the highest paid player on the roster, then he should do the math on his $/gp.

Bro sits on the bench for half the season. Hank got his contract, he was playing a CAREER LOW 62 game vezina season, a 42 out of 48 possible gp vezina runner up season, and a season where he would play ONLY 63 times bc of injuries.

Igor has yet to play 59 games in a year.

8.5mil/58 = $146,551.72 per game
11.6mil/82 = $141,463.41 per game

Just FYI, Igor.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

yes we need an LD upgrade but dealing Kakko there is not productive b'c remember, bread is buh bye AT LEAST end of his term, if not before [to avoid a visual mess]
KK deal is not huge bucks more, don't need to overreact and Lilj at 3.5 cap wise is NG, also you are dealing youth for vet
WHICH USUALLY SHORTENS YOUR WINDOW

Emery projects well but we just drafted him
Fortescue ditto but has been marinating. If lucky, he competes next training camp; if not then 2 yrs instead of 1
point being a good add at right price = yes
but
what we need is a stopgap

per the main board, Leaf fan makes case to move Lilj for a mid pick b'c they have close to zero cap and are ok on backliners
KK worth more than a mid pick in a vacuum and more to us than that for reason noted, plus like I said and now being proven, kid line has chemistry and works so don't screw w/it

Do my 2 deals
get RD Nemic - a 2OA guy + another stud D prospect +
for
bread retained + Trouba retained+

costs dolan dollars and short term cap retention we jettison Trouba now for younger cheaper if not better soon enuf
helps w/D

then flip Shesty + zib +
for
Nylander + Knies + including Palat
flip older mo expensive Palat for a D upgrade

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If kappo has a break out year he will probably get traded. Ranger prospects are all wings and I doubt they break the bank on a guy who has had more mediocre seasons then good ones. Plus he has never had success on the top two lines. Terrible combo

Rangers nightmare.....Shesty signs in Carolina next year.
KK breakout = trade = likely no,
you have to gauge move [is it sell high or dump?] vs production and factor in need
short term need KK on kid line
long term need for moving bread as soon as he allows so we get something for him

Yup. That’s why I said something along the lines of Kakko for Liljegren. Not flashy but makes sense. Liljegren 1 year left at 3m (saves money compared to Lindgren); if he doesn’t work out just let him walk. See if Laviolette can do what he did with Sandin again. Don’t think there are a ton of options out there that make as much sense as this; as of now anyway. Mancini getting a spot would be great; but we need more than one
totally does not make sense for reasons already noted

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
yes we need an LD upgrade but dealing Kakko there is not productive b'c remember, bread is buh bye AT LEAST end of his term, if not before [to avoid a visual mess]
KK deal is not huge bucks more, don't need to overreact and Lilj at 3.5 cap wise is NG, also you are dealing youth for vet
WHICH USUALLY SHORTENS YOUR WINDOW

Emery projects well but we just drafted him
Fortescue ditto but has been marinating. If lucky, he competes next training camp; if not then 2 yrs instead of 1
point being a good add at right price = yes
but
what we need is a stopgap

per the main board, Leaf fan makes case to move Lilj for a mid pick b'c they have close to zero cap and are ok on backliners
KK worth more than a mid pick in a vacuum and more to us than that for reason noted, plus like I said and now being proven, kid line has chemistry and works so don't screw w/it

Do my 2 deals
get RD Nemic - a 2OA guy + another stud D prospect +
for
bread retained + Trouba retained+

costs dolan dollars and short term cap retention we jettison Trouba now for younger cheaper if not better soon enuf
helps w/D

then flip Shesty + zib +
for
Nylander + Knies + including Palat
flip older mo expensive Palat for a D upgrade
I would have gladly traded Igor. That’s not the reality that we live in though. We are going to be making moves to accommodate Igor rightfully or wrongfully. If losing Kakko is inevitable because they need the money to sign Igor and plug holes on defense, you simply have to trade Kakko for a Dman/assets to get a Dman. Nothing else on the roster, other than an Igor trade , is able to accomplish that. And again I have been saying trade Igor longer than everyone on here. That’s no longer a realistic option

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $25.00