Roster Building Thread - Part XII

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If the reports are true, Drury is smart to get Lafreniere locked up before Igor. He should then approach KAM and see what he wants, and work backwards. Then he can go to Igor and say hey, look. This is all I have left are you really going to reject XX million AAV?
So Drury should corner himself leaving no room to maneuver and then ask Shesterkin to help him out of it? Got it.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
So Drury should corner himself leaving no room to maneuver and then ask Shesterkin to help him out of it? Got it.
If Shesterkin wants to get let's say, 12 million on an 8 year deal here, that's like 13.7M on any other team with a 7 year term. What team is willing to give that? And let's say that some team is, it ain't New York.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Shesterkin wants to get let's say, 12 million on an 8 year deal here, that's like 13.7M on any other team with a 7 year term. What team is willing to give that? And let's say that some team is, it ain't New York.
Completely agree on this point. Drury should stick to the whole contract value on 8 year deal that other teams would have to do in 7.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I vacillate over this all the time. On the one hand, goalies are kind of voodoo and Shesterkin doesn't quite seem to have the every year he's a Vezina finalist quality that Hank had. On the other, he really is very good and you can survive with a bad contract. If we're going to have someone overpaid anyway, I'd rather it be Shesterkin than Trouba.

I don't know. No easy answers. Que sera, sera.
This is basically how I feel every time I think about it. It sounds/looks kinda stupid written out, but I feel like both sides are equally likely to be the right choice. You can pretty easily make strong arguments for and against both sides. I feel like there's no way Igor doesn't get signed by NYR, and that the hang up is probably with term/protection more than anything. It will be interesting to see how the money tied up between Trouba and Lindgren is allocated.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why would Igor want a shorter deal?

If he goes into free agency at 34, he's not getting $11+M for those three years.
I refuse to believe that

1. Igor would be that stupid to take a shorter deal
2. Drury would be so stupid not to get the papers ready in 10 seconds if Igor showed any interest in signing for less than 8 years

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I have a feeling Igor signs for 11. He will realize that its far more money than he will get anywhere else cause of the 8th year. Perhaps he rejected it cause it didn't have an NMC that he wanted? I just find it impossible that someone will show up to UFA Day with 13 million plus.
I dont at all. Some team with a ton of cap room (likely a bottom 15 team) sees an opportunity to became a legit playoff team with Igor, an opportunity to market that and sell tickets and turn their franchise around? Someone will easily offer him that contract. Whether or not he wants to play for them is another story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad