Roster Building Thread - Part XII

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Some insider mentioned Utah could make a big splash this year. Send Shesterkin to Utah where he can sign his big money, 8 year deal and play with Sergachev. Aim for Tij Iginla and a 2025 1st round pick.

Then pipe dream would be flipping Iginla (and Garand?) to Calgary for Dustin Wolf. Let him grow into the starter role with Quick as his mentor.

View attachment 914016
Iginla notwithstanding, why would Calgary trade Wolf? They just traded Markstrom, and I don't think they see Vladar as a long-term answer.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think he'd get paid by Toronto.

Thats it though.

With what cap? Are they letting marner walk?
Shesty + Zib + Jones
for
Nylander + Knies + Liljigren

I think both Marner and Tavares come
Off their cap this year.

That a massive chunk of change.

With what cap. Also you thought Panarin was bad in the playoffs?

Tavares comes off, and marner isn’t “off” he needs to be re-signed.
And the Tavares money goes to marner who’s getting a raise.
They’re not giving all of Tavares money to a goalie.
If you did my deal above they can extend Shesty before + know what lesser # to extend Marner

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Best part about that is Hank did the exact same thing. He didn't take a single cent of a pay cut.

The difference being that Hank actually was the only reason we even made the playoffs for years. Igor has had 1 historic season but never shown the consistency of Lundqvist. And nothing against Igor as a playoff performer, but wake me when he shuts out a team in a Game 6 or 7 (or back to back) like Hank did every year.

Also sad to say but isnt the fact that we paid Henrik and he retired cupless a good reason not to pay Igor an exorbitant amount?

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Per Spotrac, in 25-26 the following teams have have significant cap space

Anaheim $38M
Winnipeg $36M (Hellebuyck 8.5M)
San Jose $36M (Askarov)
Columbus $35M
Calgary $33M
NYR $30M
Chicago $29M
Dallas $28M (Oettinger)
Vegas $25M
Washington $25M
Toronto $24.5M
Carolina $23.8M
Buffalo $23.6M
NYI $22M (Sorokin)
Ottawa $20M (Ullmark)

I mean, when you're talking 11-13M contract, anything less than $20M it just doesn't seem feasible. Unless some other team moves out money, these are the teams that can sign Shesterkin.

If he wants to go to Anaheim, Columbus, or Calgary be my guest. San Jose invested in Askarov and I don't anticipate they will offer Shesterkin money instead.

Chicago may be able to afford him, but they have to keep in mind they need to pay Bedard soon and he will prob cost 10+M

Vegas likes to make splashes.

Seems most likely that it would be Chicago, if anyone.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He’s old and out of touch so we should cut him some slack.
He’s wrong of course, the King did the exact same thing holding out for and extra million. Lundqvist got it and the team didn’t get a cup.
Cutting him some slack? For what? He’s got a “following” and is a respected journalist, and is essentially using a bully pulpit.
And lying.

You want to say cut him slack, then his family needs to take his phone away.
But you can’t pretend to be a journalist and then lie and attempt to push a narrative.

We don’t give brooks slack (because he deserves to be frequently lambasted ) and I’m not giving Fischer slack.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
but as someone pointed out, brooks legit pushed a narrative that Kelly Trouba was the hinderance to Trouba moving, and pointed the narrative at "trouba would refuse to report" which was then carried as a "fact" instead of the gossip clickbate that it likely was.

Occam’s razor answer is they have different sources…Brooks’ likely being closer to the NYR org

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He’s old and out of touch so we should cut him some slack.
He’s wrong of course, the King did the exact same thing holding out for and extra million. Lundqvist got it and the team didn’t get a cup.
This is an abuse of causal inference worse than I see from first year grad students

Reactions: Takeahnase

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad