Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Why do Rangers fans hate our D corps so much. When I read articles reviewing various teams preparations for the season, the team generally gets praised for strong D.

Fox is a Norris candidate.
Schneider and Miller are young and good. Fans are so damn impatient with young D. Yet everyone always says D takes longer to develop.
Which brings us to Jones who fans have been demanding that he gets a chance. Well here it is.
Trouba is way over paid but talent wise as a 3rd pair he's better than what other teams are rolling out, when he's healthy.
Lindgren is the problem. Pairing him with Fox is a problem. Hopefully things get rearranged.

Reactions: deathb4disco

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Why do Rangers fans hate our D corps so much. When I read articles reviewing various teams preparations for the season, the team generally gets praised for strong D.

Schneider and Miller are young and good. Fans are so damn impatient with young D. Yet everyone always says D takes longer to develop.
Which brings us to Jones who fans have been demanding that he gets a chance. Well here it is.
Trouba is way over paid but talent wise as a 3rd pair he's better than what other teams are rolling out, when he's healthy.
Lindgren is the problem. Pairing him with Fox is a problem. Hopefully things get rearranged.
Tuba and Lindgren in the top 4 is the problem . And like you said Lindgren on the 1st pair dragging down our best player.

Schneider is a fine young cannibal , and Miller looked like he was going to be a beast in 2022-23 but was pretty bad last year.
I really really want to see a Miller - Fox pairing but it seems unlikely.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

Trouba traditionally has not been on the 3rd pair.
Lindgren is traditionally on the 1st pair.

That is why we hate our D corps.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
bern, there's not a hockey coach that has ever existed in human history that's playing Rempe more than 5 minutes in the NHL right now.
MH:
1. first time for everything
2 regardless, until they accept growing pains to develop Rem + Eds, we will remain in status quo.
THE SEASON is the time to play/develop these guys at NHL level

just do it

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Trouba traditionally has not been on the 3rd pair.
Lindgren is traditionally on the 1st pair.

That is why we hate our D corps.
It’s still one of the most talented d’s we’ve had.
We actually have a 1d, and not a 2/3 overslotted.
We have a defenseman who can run a power play, and we have guys who do well on the PK.
Lindgren was looked at as a top 4 guy before this past season.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s still one of the most talented d’s we’ve had.
no-maybe.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
bern, there's not a hockey coach that has ever existed in human history that's playing Rempe more than 5 minutes in the NHL right now.
In the playoffs? Probably not. In the regular season? There should be.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
5-6 minutes is the going rate for a 4th liner if you're not on special teams. Where do you guys want him to get these minutes, exactly?
Disagreed, it's more like around 10 minutes, even without special teams. A guy like Nick Bonino had a TOI average of 12:15 last season. 2:03 of that is PK time.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Bonino was playing 3rd line once chytil went down.
That doesn't bump him up that much I think. Goodrow played in the 4th for the majority of the season didn't he? Practically the same scenario for him. 2 minutes of PK on average per game, +12 minutes TOI.

It's pretty much the same around the league. Actual 4th liners do play more than 5 minutes of 5v5.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

On paper and on-ice performance are 2 very different things. I hate to burst bubbles, but NYR are in win-now mode, despite some fans not wanting to realize that because we got here quickly after a re-build. Our prospects don't scream we have a big window of opportunity coming, at least not without some major signings. The on-ice performance isn't translating to what the skill-set looks to be on paper.

Trouba way overpaid and classified as a 3rd pair is a major problem because that money is being tied up instead of improving other holes beside 3rd RD.

Both Miller and Schneider are young and nobody is saying that they can't improve but Miller's play has been a roller coaster, and when he has those moments in big game situations, it's a problem.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
That doesn't bump him up that much I think. Goodrow played in the 4th for the majority of the season didn't he? Practically the same scenario for him. 2 minutes of PK on average per game, +12 minutes TOI.

It's pretty much the same around the league. Actual 4th liners do play more than 5 minutes of 5v5.
It absolutely does. 3rd line sits around 10 minutes of even strength time.

The only time 4th liners play more than 5-8 per game are blowouts.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Overall ice time is misleading because who's on the 4th line changes. Will Cuylle averaged 11:08 per game which is firmly above a 4th line rate, but he played less than 10 minutes 22 times this year. Those are the games he was a true 4th liner.

Rempe is going to be a true 4th liner in every game.

Bonino was never a regular 4th liner. In 45 games with the Rangers he played less than 10 minutes eight times, and only two of those were under 9:30. He played north of 16 minutes FIVE times!!

• Wow
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Overall ice time is misleading because who's on the 4th line changes. Will Cuylle averaged 11:08 per game which is firmly above a 4th line rate, but he played less than 10 minutes 22 times this year. Those are the games he was a true 4th liner.

Rempe is going to be a true 4th liner in every game.

Bonino was never a regular 4th liner. In 45 games with the Rangers he played less than 10 minutes eight times, and only two of those were under 9:30. He played north of 16 minutes FIVE times!!

Bonino was also the type of guy who was on to close games out as well, which skews some of his numbers.

I agree with Rempe though, the 'goal' would be for him to play 6-8 minutes a night. I think that's a good number for a guy who doesn't PK or PP, especially on a team who should be solidly in a playoff spot and should distribute some minutes around.

If I were the Rangers and felt I could slide Brodzinski through waivers to start the season, I would actually start out with 12 forwards, including Edstrom, and recall players on an emergency basis as needed. Hartford is not far away and they SHOULD have a few viable options up front to fill in (Rempe, Othmann/Berard, Brodzinski, maybe Chmelar) and save that cap space. I also would prefer to see Rempe playing 12-15 minutes a night in Hartford on a regular basis

Reactions: Machinehead

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
In the playoffs? Probably not. In the regular season? There should be.
Depends on the opponent. Will also depend on whether he has improved his skating/game during the off season. And of course we can expect that he has continued to grow into his body and become less awkward. We won't know till training camp in all likelihood.
I'm in the "I have hopes" camp rather than the "I have expectations" camp as far as Rempe goes.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I was going to post some averages of Rangers players, but can't really bother to because that type statline really does skew things.

Regular season or not, Bonino playing more than 16 minutes is criminal btw. Or should be.

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad