Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Rangers have enough if Igor does what he done and either -

1. The defense is good enough to support the forwards

2. Their top guys show up.

The issue is BOTH of the above have failed them in their last 3 years. They could have won last year if they had better players in place of Trouba and Lindgren and Perhaps could have won if Panarin didn’t dud out again and Mika hit a heater instead of going goalless for the final 11 games even with those 2.

Those are pretty big ifs comprised of your 2 highest paid forwards and half of your top 4.
The first run was mostly out of nowhere and just like their miserable outing in the 2 of 3 was impacted by Gallant’s coaching.

Could’ve last year or in the future Zibanejad play better and have a better scoring conversion. Could Kakko and Chytil also play more as they did prior to 23-24. Would the team have a better chance if (especially) Fox and also Trouba were healthy?

That’s the point some of us are trying to make - this team had and will have another chance but at the same time we need to acknowledge and accept that a lot of things will have to go right to win SC because the odds are stacked against everybody by definition. At start of the season the odds are no better than some 10% - 15% so “conversion” into reaching the goal is so difficult and largely impossible to predict.

At this point I'd be happy if Rempe can get over the boards and not put us at a massive disadvantage.
As long as he’s not tripping on the wire during season opener introductions…

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
The issue is the defense. You don't need Mcdavid up front to win a cup. does it help? i'm sure.

but you need a defense that can move the puck under pressure and snuff out the opposing rush.

fix the D, and we'll be right there taking kicks at the can in the east.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It was posted here earlier this off season by one of the better sources.
This either / or proposition re. Othmann does not make any sense. His taste of the NHL showed there’s plenty for him to work on, he’s still eligible to be in Hartford without a need for waivers and as of now there’s no obvious spot in the lineup for him unless he manages to beat Cuylle for the top-9 spot who obviously got an advantage at this point. Whatever report you’re referring to - something is missing or misinterpreted.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The issue is the defense. You don't need Mcdavid up front to win a cup. does it help? i'm sure.

but you need a defense that can move the puck under pressure and snuff out the opposing rush.

fix the D, and we'll be right there taking kicks at the can in the east.

Trouba was the attempted D shakeup but they couldn’t get it done.

They could have also used an O shakeup but it doesn’t look like they even considered it. I get it, everyone has NMCs, but there wasn’t even a hint that they were asking guys to waive.

They will make the playoffs, win a round or two, but barring a miracle or incredibly good luck, get knocked out again in the ECF or SCF, and we’ll be having this same conversation about the roster again 10 months from now.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This either / or proposition re. Othmann does not make any sense. His taste of the NHL showed there’s plenty for him to work on, he’s still eligible to be in Hartford without a need for waivers and as of now there’s no obvious spot in the lineup for him unless he manages to beat Cuylle for the top-9 spot who obviously got an advantage at this point. Whatever report you’re referring to - something is missing or misinterpreted.

Yeah, I'm with you here. I don't think this is a thing.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I hope waiver eligible players realize that playing 18-20 minutes a night in Hartford is going to be much better for them than playing 5-6 minutes in New York. Othmann got a chance last season and failed to make himself indispensable. Getting the callout via an injury gives you a big chance to really perform outside of those 4th line minutes. But I get the desire. I just hope they don't rush it and really go out to earnestly earn their ice time instead of whining to get handed it.

Reactions: Kupo

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I hope waiver eligible players realize that playing 18-20 minutes a night in Hartford is going to be much better for them than playing 5-6 minutes in New York. Othmann got a chance last season and failed to make himself indispensable. Getting the callout via an injury gives you a big chance to really perform outside of those 4th line minutes. But I get the desire. I just hope they don't rush it and really go out to earnestly earn their ice time instead of whining to get handed it.
Othmann's makes 832k if he plays all 82 games. He got a signing bonus of 92k each year. But if he doesn't play in the NHL on his elc thats money he just doesn't get...
His minors salary is 80k.
If he plays 7ish games in the NHL he'll make more money than he had all last season. 14 games doubles that.

The difference is staggering.

Reactions: UnSandvich

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
They are essentially running it back with Smith instead of Roslovic and Jones instead of Gustafsson. I thought we agreed this core wasn’t good enough to win more than two series.
Well the problem is they can’t trade anyone to make any moves because they give out NTCs like candy.

I’ll give them credit for at least trying to move Trouba.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Trouba didn’t notify these teams. He didn’t go to any of them specifically. He just said in the open that if he’s traded he’s not going to report. That’s fine. Same general way as when a player would announce the last year of playing / retiring after a season.
Is it confirmed he said that?

That would be my problem. I don’t have an issue with him utilizing his no trade clause list. That’s what he signed his contract for.

But the contract indicates he has teams he WILL report accept trades to, so if he was leaking that he wouldn’t, that is a problem requiring relief.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Is it confirmed he said that?

That would be my problem. I don’t have an issue with him utilizing his no trade clause list. That’s what he signed his contract for.

But the contract indicates he has teams he WILL report accept trades to, so if he was leaking that he wouldn’t, that is a problem requiring relief.
It has not ever been confirmed he said that.
I don't believe it was ever actually said.
Every report that has an actual quote has said basically said that things are pleasant between the rangers org and the trouba's.

Someone posted it earlier, it seems like Trouba was asked "would you waive early to go xx place" trouba said no, asked for one more year, and then probably gave a list that didn't have that place.

People are treating a very unconfirmed rumor as fact. Drury is never going to confirm yes or no, but considering he had zero issue shipping goodrow out the way he did, if it was that bad Drury likely would've filed a grievance.

Hopefully Othmann crushes it in camp, takes the 3rd line spot, and you send Cuylle to line 4.
I think the team is significantly stronger if Othmann is on the third over Cuylle.
I think the player cuylle is, he does better on the 4th line, and we as a team are deeper.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
A good way to have a bad 4th line is to intentionally play worse players because they fit a "4th line role."

You need to aim for two 3rd lines basically, meaning, your fourth line should play with an edge but also score relatively consistently.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Barring a trade, people should be prepared for Vesey and Carrick to be in the everyday lineup, they PK, Lavy absolutely likes Vesey, and Carrick was obviously signed for a reason.

Let Edstrom and Rempe go to Hartford, and not sit in the pressbox. There will be injuries, trades, bad play that they will get games this year.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You need to aim for two 3rd lines basically, meaning, your fourth line should play with an edge but also score relatively consistently.
That is the modern game.
You need skill up and down the lineup.
You need to be able to win in different ways, and from different players.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Barring a trade, people should be prepared for Vesey and Carrick to be in the everyday lineup, they PK, Lavy absolutely likes Vesey, and Carrick was obviously signed for a reason.

Let Edstrom and Rempe go to Hartford, and not sit in the pressbox. There will be injuries, trades, bad play that they will get games this year.
No we need upgrades to da bold
Eds + Rem need to play here, now. Stabilize 4th line w/effective, punishing big guys who make a dif in POs
Then maybe possible for Eds + Rem to advance 1 line

Stop win now bs
build properly
build

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
No we need upgrades to da bold
Eds + Rem need to play here, now. Stabilize 4th line w/effective, punishing big guys who make a dif in POs
Then maybe possible for Eds + Rem to advance 1 line

Stop win now bs
build properly
build

Build properly by playing them 5 minutes a night where they don't PK or play the PP? The coach has no faith in Rempe playing once the first 30 minutes of the game is over.

Smith will take Goodrow's minutes on the PK, and Carrick will take Wennberg's.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
The Rangers have a good enough team to make the final 4. Sim that however many times over and they don't come out on top from there much at all.

But, someone like Adam Fox has the rare capability to put a team on his back through an insane playoff performance to pull that through. We've seen other stars do it.

Now, you don't count at that. You want something more so you don't have to have that as your only get out of jail free card.

But it's not insane. I think insane would be saying Zibanejad could wake up like he never has before beyond the 1st round and carry a team. That just won't happen, it is what it is.

But we've seen Fox perform at that level. We've seen Igor perform at that level.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Build properly by playing them 5 minutes a night where they don't PK or play the PP? The coach has no faith in Rempe playing once the first 30 minutes of the game is over.

bold = sez you
that is not "build[ing] properly"
full regular shifts
no excuses

everybody needs to be ready come POs
requires everybody gets mins needed
build correctly per bern
no win now bs
Lavi too, no favoring vets (he's been good but I wanted Knob - arguably better)

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
bold = sez you
that is not "build[ing] properly"
full regular shifts
no excuses

everybody needs to be ready come POs
requires everybody gets mins needed
build correctly per bern
no win now bs
Lavi too, no favoring vets (he's been good but I wanted Knob - arguably better)
bern, there's not a hockey coach that has ever existed in human history that's playing Rempe more than 5 minutes in the NHL right now.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'm a little concerned with waiving a guy like Edstrom honestly. I could see a 4th line of Edstrom-Carrick-Vesey though. Edstrom also PK's.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Smith pk’s? I don’t remember him on the pk on Vegas.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
They will make the playoffs, win a round or two, but barring a miracle or incredibly good luck, get knocked out again in the ECF or SCF, and we’ll be having this same conversation about the roster again 10 months from now.
Let’s say there are 10 teams with strong SC aspirations for 24-25 season. The above can apply to all of them and will be true for 9/10. THINGS WILL HAVE TO LINEUP JUST RIGHT FOR THE TEAM THER WILL ULTIMATELY RAISE THE CUP.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad