Hawks, Bulls, & Sox new channel is Chicago Sports Network (CHSN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
I mean, that sounds just like what I remember from when I was ....8 years old.

This is a good resource to figure out what kind of signal you can expect to receive for the OTA broadcast.

You aren't looking good even in somewhere like Naperville....
anti-game-watching gang stays winning

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I mean, that sounds just like what I remember from when I was ....8 years old.

This is a good resource to figure out what kind of signal you can expect to receive for the OTA broadcast.

You aren't looking good even in somewhere like Naperville....

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So let's get this straight for all of us Chicago fans here. The Seattle Kraken, who have been a sports organization for all of three years.... struck a deal with Amazon, so their fanbase can catch their games on Prime. Meanwhile, the Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Bulls, and Chicago White Sox....have yet to announce a presence on any streaming platforms. Just f***ing lol.
Was just coming to say... the Kraken, an infant organization, have managed to secure streaming on Prime Video... and the Hawks still haven't secured even cable as a provider. What a shitshow. :laugh:

You're leaving out something here

Amazon (Seattle Based) signed deal with expansion Seattle team. It was a big PR move to support Seattle sports from Amazon and lucrative for them because of that local connection

So, let's not act like its comparable to other situations

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
You're leaving out something here

Amazon (Seattle Based) signed deal with expansion Seattle team. It was a big PR move to support Seattle sports from Amazon and lucrative for them because of that local connection

So, let's not act like its comparable to other situations
Yeah. Amazon definitely needs the lucrative income. Lol.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Antenna TV is more reliable than my old satellite TV if we're getting anecdotal.
I mean, that's just great. For you. Who is citing anecdotes here, though? The site I linked literally gives you the signal strength for all the channels available OTA, in your location... It's not anecdotal. It's just pure science.

For instance...if you live in Yorkville, which really isn't that far outside of the traditional Chicago market, your chances of having a usable signal for channels 62.2 and 62.3 are slim to none.
yorkville.jpg

If you live in Dekalb....lol. OTA isn't an option for any channel. Elgin? Good luck. Naperville? Same. As is the case for Joliet, Plainfield, etc. And once you're outside the major Chicago metropolis? It's not an option at all.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I’m not buying an antenna to watch something in 2024. This is absurd and can’t be justified.
The flip side is for the first time in 40 years you don't need to pay a third-party vendor to watch the games.

OTA television has one huge flaw - it can not broadcast in 4K unless a station upgrades to ATSC 3.0 and so far only 5 Chicago stations have - WBBM-TV (CBS, channel 2); Fox’s WFLD-TV (Fox, channel 32); NBC’s WMAQ-TV (NBC, channel 5); WGN (WGN, channel 9); and Univision’s WGBO-TV (Univision, channel 66)

However, a small station in Oregon discovered a workaround

ATSC 1.0 was launched almost 30 years ago but full rollout was delayed until 2009 because all the TV transmitters in New York were destroyed in 2001.

I have to assume CHSN will soon announce an in-market streaming app :dunno:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The flip side is for the first time in 40 years you don't need to pay a third-party vendor to watch the games.

OTA television has one huge flaw - it can not broadcast in 4K unless a station upgrades to ATSC 3.0 and so far only 5 Chicago stations have - WBBM-TV (CBS, channel 2); Fox’s WFLD-TV (Fox, channel 32); NBC’s WMAQ-TV (NBC, channel 5); WGN (WGN, channel 9); and Univision’s WGBO-TV (Univision, channel 66)

However, a small station in Oregon discovered a workaround

ATSC 1.0 was launched almost 30 years ago but full rollout was delayed until 2009 because all the TV transmitters in New York were destroyed in 2001.

I have to assume CHSN will soon announce an in-market streaming app :dunno:

You also need an ATSC 3.0 tuner on your TV. Which, very few have. And ATSC 3.0 has major issues with signal quality. It's just not good.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The fact we are discussing TV antenna to watch a Hawk game in 2024 is embarrassing

People can spin all they want but this rollout is not a positive or being handled well. They had months to get shit done and have smooth process and here we are 6 months later with this mess

Neither Reinsdorf or Wirtz should be immune to being criticized for it

Also, there is still major questions about how quality will be on production/etc and still no answers about what happens if Bulls/Hawks games conflict (If there is no alternative channel option that is problem)

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The fact we are discussing TV antenna to watch a Hawk game in 2024 is embarrassing

People can spin all they want but this rollout is not a positive or being handled well. They had months to get shit done and have smooth process and here we are 6 months later with this mess

Neither Reinsdorf or Wirtz should be immune to being criticized for it

Also, there is still major questions about how quality will be on production/etc and still no answers about what happens if Bulls/Hawks games conflict (If there is no alternative channel option that is problem)

The mystery is why Reinsdorf simply didn't buy NBC Sports Chicago and keep the distribution in place. as Ted Leonsis did in Washington.

20 years ago Reinsdorf made the deal that created Comcast Sportsnet that became NBC Sports Chicago and killed FOX Sports Chicago. What wound up happening was the old FOX Sports Chicago became the B1G Network.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I mean, that's just great. For you. Who is citing anecdotes here, though? The site I linked literally gives you the signal strength for all the channels available OTA, in your location... It's not anecdotal. It's just pure science.

For instance...if you live in Yorkville, which really isn't that far outside of the traditional Chicago market, your chances of having a usable signal for channels 62.2 and 62.3 are slim to none.View attachment 907648

If you live in Dekalb....lol. OTA isn't an option for any channel. Elgin? Good luck. Naperville? Same. As is the case for Joliet, Plainfield, etc. And once you're outside the major Chicago metropolis? It's not an option at all.
Yeah I'm right next to Elgin in West Dundee. This kind of sucks.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
This is so bush league and disappointing. As a Canadian, not sure what affect it will have here ... and for others outside the immediate Chicago area. I am having flashbacks of the old man Wirtz days when it was impossible to see the Hawks on the tube. Maybe I'll end up like my late father, listening to games on the radio.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I'm in Canada and i'll get 95% of the hawk games on center ice
I already get many games on TSN that I can watch if I want and I don't need access to all other NHL teams games that comes with Center Ice. In other words I would have to dish out an extra $200+ to see Hawks games as the most of the other games don't interest me and/or I don't have the time to watch. If push comes to shove I probably will bite the bullet and pay the extra money.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
The mystery is why Reinsdorf simply didn't buy NBC Sports Chicago and keep the distribution in place. as Ted Leonsis did in Washington.

20 years ago Reinsdorf made the deal that created Comcast Sportsnet that became NBC Sports Chicago and killed FOX Sports Chicago. What wound up happening was the old FOX Sports Chicago became the B1G Network.
What's the mystery? They want to create something broader and more accessible, they didn't want to be locked into a dying medium like the Cubs are.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'll refrain from judgement until we get details, but decent start. However, hopefully their idea of "most" of Illinois doesn't cut off many fans.

Now give Xfinity news.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
How far does Blues/Cards coverage usually go into Illinois?

Do Preds eat at any portion of Southeast IL?

I can't speak for Little Egypt, but across Central Illinois, St. Louis and Chicago channels are considered pretty standard fare (barring Bally's shenanigans and weird carrier issues on that front). No clue about the Preds, but I'd have to imagine that the extreme south of Illinois is firmly St. Louis territory, albeit I'm not sure if that's a Cards and Blues thing or just a Cards thing.

I'd almost liken the non-Cards St. Louis teams of the Blues and formerly the Rams as more akin to the White Sox. They have, and had, firm fanbases in the city and close to the city, but once you got out of Metro East it never felt like the Blues or Rams had much of a presence.

I'm originally from Champaign-Urbana, which is pretty evenly split between the Cubs and the Cards, but growing up there I can scarcely remember seeing any Blues or Rams gear around town. I saw more White Sox gear around town, and those guys were barely an afterthought in the overall mix.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I know it's ignorant but I don't care...

I met some people over the weekend and they had southern-ish accents. So I asked how long they were in town for and asked if they'd been to Chicago before. They said [paraphrase] "Oh yeah we're here a few times a year, we just live over in Varna".

Varna, Illinois is here...

iu

I've never heard of Varna and never would've guessed people who sound like that would be from Illinois. Illinois is Chicagoland and the surrounding suburbs in a 40 mile radidus from the city to me and nothing else lol.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I know it's ignorant but I don't care...

I met some people over the weekend and they had southern-ish accents. So I asked how long they were in town for and asked if they'd been to Chicago before. They said [paraphrase] "Oh yeah we're here a few times a year, we just live over in Varna".

Varna, Illinois is here...

iu

I've never heard of Varna and never would've guessed people who sound like that would be from Illinois. Illinois is Chicagoland and the surrounding suburbs in a 40 mile radidus from the city to me and nothing else lol.
Reminds me of when my family and I took a road trip to Memphis when I was a kid and we stopped at a gas station somewhere downstate along 57. We felt like we may as well have been in Mississippi by how these people talked.

• Haha
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'll refrain from judgement until we get details, but decent start. However, hopefully their idea of "most" of Illinois doesn't cut off many fans.

Now give Xfinity news.
I mean, I would settle for "We are working diligently to get a deal done with Xfinity before the regular season starts."

SOMETHING. This lack of any mention of Xfinity or streaming partners is mind boggling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad