Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hot take alert: Marner is a better player than Draisaitl. If we weren't already lacking sufficient cap space for the Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller extensions, I would look into trading for Marner.
That is not a great take at all. When games get tough Marner is a non factor. Draisaitl played better in the playoffs on one leg than Marner.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I am not sure why anybody would hype on the JVR signing. It really sounds like frustration that we didn't do a whole lot this offseason so fans/writers just want something to happen even if it makes no sense. I won't even touch on the other 2. Articles that talk in absolute like "For the Rangers, he would once again provide some decent bottom-six scoring" aren't worth spending much time talking about.

1- where is he playing?
2 - He scored 6 of his 11 goals on the powerplay. We scream the kids aren't getting a chance and they went want to make it even harder for them to see powerplay time.

I don't see Kreider/Zibanejad/JVR working when 2 of them are going to the same net front area. For a 3rd line role, we have too many options that will take a back seat for this, and it would be understandable if JVR was younger and faster.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Coincidence that all three grew up as Rangers fans?

Doubt Shattenkirk. That didnt really work out to well last time.

I could see JVR. Another Prentiss guy. Seems close with Kreider from the videos.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Hot take alert: Marner is a better player than Draisaitl. If we weren't already lacking sufficient cap space for the Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller extensions, I would look into trading for Marner.
Marner hasn't had his 1st 100p season yet. He's come close twice (94, 99). Drai is coming off his 5th 100+ season. Would be 6 if he didn't miss time in '21.

When the games matter most, Marner averages .87PPG versus Drais 1.45.

Marner's not better. He's not even equalish. Drais shits on Marner, 7 days a week.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wouldn't hurt to have some veteran competition for the final top 9 spot.

Just handing a spot to Kakko based on nothing is how we ended up with a horrendous trade and a hole in the lineup.
JVR is not what some posters remember him to be from awhile ago. IMO it’s not about Kakko but I do see a benefit in bringing him as competition for our prospects - in his current state he’s not a high hurdle to overcome. And if they can’t - it’s on them, plus a potential extra body in case of injuries if his form is actually better than what I expect.

Reactions: Machinehead

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Marner hasn't had his 1st 100p season yet. He's come close twice (94, 99). Drai is coming off his 5th 100+ season. Would be 6 if he didn't miss time in '21.

Marner's not better. He's not even equalish. Drais shits on Marner, 7 days a week.

Marner has outscored Draisaitl at 5v5 on a rate basis for four consecutive years. He just doesn't get to boost his production by playing the full two minutes on the PP with McDavid. In terms of raw 5v5 points, he has 1 less point than Draisaitl over the last 3 years in 20 less games and almost 500 less minutes.

The playoff scoring is true but at the same time over the last 3 years, in the playoffs, Marner has the 6th best GF% of any forward (300+ mins) and Draisaitl the 35th. There's a huge difference in their defensive play.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

and twice on Sun

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

This. This is what matters.

Reactions: Kupo

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I wouldn't hurt to have some veteran competition for the final top 9 spot.

Just handing a spot to Kakko based on nothing is how we ended up with a horrendous trade and a hole in the lineup.
Then hand it to a rookie.

Most teams do that. We don’t need to always bring in a bunch of has beens every year and watch them shit themselves all over the Ice half the season until mgmt finally cuts their losses in February

This. This is what matters.
Look beyond the numbers. Drai pads his stats against cupcakes out west , Toronto always comes up against solid teams , also the Toronto debuff that all their players get in the playoffs. Also no McJesus for Marner to mooch off of.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
JVR is not what some posters remember him to be from awhile ago. IMO it’s not about Kakko but I do see a benefit in bringing him as competition for our prospects - in his current state he’s not a high hurdle to overcome. And if they can’t - it’s on them, plus a potential extra body in case of injuries if his form is actually better than what I expect.
I prefer to let the prospects compete with each other, and vets we already pay, instead of inserting another veteran into the mix. JVR doesn't bring anything we are missing.
JVR is a LW, he wouldn't be competition for RW Kakko (who without PP time outscored JVR in Kakko's last healthy season), he'd be blocking Othmann, Berard and possibly Edstrom if they decide he's better at wing.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Only if you're of the belief that past playoff results are predictive.
Well that's how most people do pretend to look at things. Not just talking about rating hockey players here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad