Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rempe skates better at 21 than Boyle did, and it's not really that close. He skates better than most 21 year old 6'8 hockey players. That's the intrigue.

Boyle I think would have been at BC or in the AHL Kings system I think at 21. I don't remember that but Boyle even after he started playing with us was kind of average skater and never had more than average speed. Rempe can cover a lot more ground because he's actually fast even if he does have some awkwardness to work out.

The one I like to compare Rempe to is Chara. Chara's first 2/3 years with the Islanders he was kind of like a baby giraffe. Easy to knock down and falling a lot sometimes just trying to turn quick. That said Chara never had anything like Rempe's speed either.

There is no reason why Rempe with time won't work that awkwardness out and by the time that happens he'll be an even bigger problem for opponents. The one thing that could potentially stop him is he continues to take too much punishment in the fights he gets into. Need to stay away from getting concussed too many times. Needs to use his reach better. It's also why it was necessary for him to train for a few days with Laraque this summer.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Boyle I think would have been at BC or in the AHL Kings system I think at 21. I don't remember that but Boyle even after he started playing with us was kind of average skater and never had more than average speed. Rempe can cover a lot more ground because he's actually fast even if he does have some awkwardness to work out.

The one I like to compare Rempe to is Chara. Chara's first 2/3 years with the Islanders he was kind of like a baby giraffe. Easy to knock down and falling a lot sometimes just trying to turn quick. That said Chara never had anything like Rempe's speed either.

There is no reason why Rempe with time won't work that awkwardness out and by the time that happens he'll be an even bigger problem for opponents. The one thing that could potentially stop him is he continues to take too much punishment in the fights he gets into. Need to stay away from getting concussed too many times. Needs to use his reach better. It's also why it was necessary for him to train for a few days with Laraque this summer.

Boyle, at 21, scored 52 points in 42 games at BC. It's not just about being a fast skater.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Thanks Trouba and Rangers GM for that.

Imagine if they had the cap space to sign Holloway and Broberg

PLEASE BOO TROUBA ON OPENING NIGHT

You do realize how on its face right now that Broberg contract is absolutely absurd for what he's accomplished so far in his career. He was picked #8-OA in 2019 (the Kakko draft) and has very much struggled to make the Oilers ever since. His career total for 81 NHL games is 2 goals and 13 points. Last year he played a lot more in Bakersfield (49 games) than with the Oilers (12 games and 2 playoff games). If you think Kakko has been disappointing and too lazy to improve this guy was taken 6 picks later and has proven much much less and if the Rangers had handed Kakko a 2 year contract for $4.58 mil per year instead of the 1 year for $2.4 mil Rangers fans should have rightfully been up in arms. The Blues had the cap space to poach both him and Holloway but they're really taking a big chance that either of them are going to give good value for those contracts.

Similar Holloway had not earned a permanent spot in Edmonton's lineup. 89 games played over two years--3 goals 9 points the first year and 6 goals 9 points last year and 18 games in Bakersfield. He played quite a bit in the Oilers playoff run and scored 5 goals and 7 points but he's not shown a lot as an NHL player yet either. He's a 2020 14th OA pick (Lafreniere draft) and they've basically given him Lafreniere's second contract $2.29 mil for two years compared to Laf's $2.35 for two years. It's not as absurd as Broberg's but it's still kind of undeserved.

Reactions: surlysailor

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Similar Holloway had not earned a permanent spot in Edmonton's lineup. 89 games played over two years--3 goals 9 points the first year and 6 goals 9 points last year and 18 games in Bakersfield. He played quite a bit in the Oilers playoff run and scored 5 goals and 7 points but he's not shown a lot as an NHL player yet either. He's a 2020 14th OA pick (Lafreniere draft) and they've basically given him Lafreniere's second contract $2.29 mil for two years compared to Laf's $2.35 for two years. It's not as absurd as Broberg's but it's still kind of undeserved.
It's an offersheet so it shouldn't be comparable to Laf's contract. Broberg's cap is quite high who what he's brought to the table. Maybe that risk pans out, maybe it doesn't. But Holloway is a 1st round pick that you're dropping 1m more on/short term. Whatever replacement player is probably going to be in that 900k-1.5 range, depending on who you get, so you're not exactly breaking the bank to take that risk. I think Holloway will get a larger role with St. Louis to justify spending more than a simple call-up/replacement player money.

Reactions: eco's bones

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Not that I want to see what happens if this happens; but, if the Rangers start the season sluggish, say .500 or something, bottom 1/3 of the league, and we get to like December. I bet Kakko (assuming everything is par for the course) is shipped out as one of the first pieces for a shake up.

I'm pretty done with any hopes for Kakko as well. If he turns it around then great, I'm not rooting against him, but he just doesn't have it.

I also finally figured out who Kakko is. He is Benoit Pouliot.
would be insanely stupid of them my friend
remember
bread not gonna be offered huge $$$$ expect b'c bad look + pride he will not take huge amount less to stay
could = early Panarin exit
we need to keep KK, develop his max potential, try to put on line w/chemistry
once he is old/experienced enuf, having more chem w/mo linemates will get real

do not sell KK short

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You do realize how on its face right now that Broberg contract is absolutely absurd for what he's accomplished so far in his career. He was picked #8-OA in 2019 (the Kakko draft) and has very much struggled to make the Oilers ever since. His career total for 81 NHL games is 2 goals and 13 points. Last year he played a lot more in Bakersfield (49 games) than with the Oilers (12 games and 2 playoff games). If you think Kakko has been disappointing and too lazy to improve this guy was taken 6 picks later and has proven much much less and if the Rangers had handed Kakko a 2 year contract for $4.58 mil per year instead of the 1 year for $2.4 mil Rangers fans should have rightfully been up in arms. The Blues had the cap space to poach both him and Holloway but they're really taking a big chance that either of them are going to give good value for those contracts.

Yeah Blowberg is not much of a loss for Edmonton.

He’s living off of his draft status as he’s done nothing in the NHL besides suck.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
KK.png

I love that

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Honestly to me Rempe’s biggest issue is his agility. If he can fix that then he’ll be in a much better spot, but right now it takes forever and a half for him to turn when he overshoots where he’s trying to go
I dont worry much about the 12th forward, some people think he has to be as good as Cuylle or something, he doesn't, he brings a different style than anyone else on the team, I'd really love if our 4th line had both him and edstrom on it, teams hate that much size on the forecheck and imo it's seriously needed here. That line is basically gonna play when players need a break or the team needs energy.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I dont worry much about the 12th forward, some people think he has to be as good as Cuylle or something, he doesn't, he brings a different style than anyone else on the team, I'd really love if our 4th line had both him and edstrom on it, teams hate that much size on the forecheck and imo it's seriously needed here. That line is basically gonna play when players need a break or the team needs energy.
Edstrom is close to being a solid bottom 6. He was a guy I would’ve loved to see vs Florida.

I think sykora is closer to make the team regularly though.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's an offersheet so it shouldn't be comparable to Laf's contract. Broberg's cap is quite high who what he's brought to the table. Maybe that risk pans out, maybe it doesn't. But Holloway is a 1st round pick that you're dropping 1m more on/short term. Whatever replacement player is probably going to be in that 900k-1.5 range, depending on who you get, so you're not exactly breaking the bank to take that risk. I think Holloway will get a larger role with St. Louis to justify spending more than a simple call-up/replacement player money.

I more than less agree on Holloway. That's not a lot of money that it should be much of a problem and with both players you would expect they'll get better. To look at these players as someone with room to grow and Kakko not when Broberg came out of the same draft and Holloway the following draft is one of the issues I had with the poster I was commenting to. Broberg has been banging along just as long as Kakko with a lot less accomplishment to talk about and yet Kakko is the failed pick in his eyes and Broberg is a guy we could have signed instead if Trouba hadn't stopped his trade.

FWIW over the next two years Broberg might justify the deal he signed but so far in his young career he's been somewhat underwhelming and arguably more underwhelming to his expectations than Kakko has.

To add there's no question that Jacob Trouba is making way too much for what he brings but he is still a legit NHL defenseman......and that's something that Broberg still needs to prove. I don't see an upgrade replacing Trouba with Broberg. He's a player that still finding his way.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
The jump to the NHL is crazy, even for can't-miss prospects.

If you put Jimmy Vesey in the Q or in the Finnish league, he'd walk on water.
I've seen this story too many times to know that this is not how it works...

No, just because you have made it as a bottom-6 forward in the NHL, doesn't mean you are anything more than a bottom-6 forward in Europe either. You might be, but that's not because even the 4th liners in the NHL are so skilled that they are better than players in Europe.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

No, just because you have made it as a bottom-6 forward in the NHL, doesn't mean you are anything more than a bottom-6 forward in Europe either. You might be, but that's not because even the 4th liners in the NHL are so skilled that they are better than players in Europe.
I mean... Vesey is a Hobey Baker winner. He has shown that he can dominate lesser leagues.

He was also a top three finalist in his junior year for it. It was not a fluke.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

If you're talking about degenerates like Carrick, then yeah, he'd struggle in Europe, where the game is very mature compared to NA junior.

I use Vesey as an example because he's talented despite being a pretty whatever NHL player.

If you're talking about junior hockey, then yeah, pretty much anybody who made the NHL would tear it apart.

• Haha
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
If you're talking about degenerates like Carrick, then yeah, he'd struggle in Europe, where the game is very mature compared to NA junior.

I use Vesey as an example because he's talented despite being a pretty whatever NHL player.

If you're talking about junior hockey, then yeah, pretty much anybody who made the NHL would tear it apart.

The fact that you have to break it down like this is hilarious. I think people here are so bored with this offseason they're one step away from arguing the blackness of a shadow with you lol!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad