Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Remember last pre-season when Laf looked absolutely horrible and Kakko looked like a stud ready to break out?

iu
Kakko being a soft euro doesn’t know how to play softball so no chance for a breakout

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kakko's career so far, looks improved every preseason only to look worse than the season before. Signs of a consistent NHL bust. Can't wait until he gets traded for nothing as his trade value gets worse as each day passes by

• Haha
Reactions: surlysailor

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Ummm, not 4 years in a row. Two seasons ago he put up 45 points, you can’t pretend that didn’t happen. And both the 19-20 and 20-21 seasons were shortened by COVID.
Facts don’t matter. Clearly chytil is a bust and should be traded for a 7th round pick. And Kakko put on waivers.

Reactions: bhamill

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
If they're trying to shed Kulak as salary, Drury would be completely foolish to not inquire about him. He often makes his teammates better and has a strong history of being very good defensively at 5v5 and on the PK

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If they're trying to shed Kulak as salary, Drury would be completely foolish to not inquire about him. He often makes his teammates better and has a strong history of being very good defensively at 5v5 and on the PK
The Oilers cant take salary back. Rangers dont even have 1/4th the cap space they would need.

Reactions: bernmeister

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
The Oilers cant take salary back. Rangers dont even have 1/4th the cap space they would need.
They can trade Kakko to a rebuild team to dump his cap space. I'm sure that would be enough cap space to acquire Kulak but he has 1 year left after this season. UFA in the summer of 26

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
no
better move is long term not win now which may/may not work and shortens window
add youth if Oil effed themselves cap wise
could have already dealt Ceci, etc but nooooooooooooooooooo they waited
now they are not dictating terms on a deal

offer a reasonable alternative gives them part of a loaf
let them keep older mo expensive vets

Holloway + Broberg + two EDM 3rds
for
Sykora + Jones + two NYR 2nds

on F, they kick the can w/Sykora season or 2
and upgrade picks

we get better talent, larger, faster etc
Holloway looks interesting bookended w/Kreider

Broberg, we're gonna move Lindy anyway

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You might be exaggerating a bit. The number of posters that wanted Kakko gone at any cost was pretty minimal (but very vocal). That number should be even smaller after Drury effectively exchanged Goodrow for Smith at the same cap hit at the cost of only 2nd rounder (well done, Chris) to address a gaping hole at 2RW that Kakko couldn’t seem to fill.

Other factors were that Kakko produced a significantly worse season compared to his two years ago so falling well short of expectations. Also this downfall was happening with exceptional progress from Lafreniere for side by side comparison - probably the same people who wanted Lafreniere traded for a 2nd a year before.

Like it or not but this is the show me season for Kakko if he wants to build a career here. Even if he shows good progress it possibly could be too late.

They can trade Kakko to a rebuild team to dump his cap space. I'm sure that would be enough cap space to acquire Kulak but he has 1 year left after this season. UFA in the summer of 26

Case in point...

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Friedman rumor is Broberg wants out and this is an easy way to just take the 2nd

They will match Holloway

Problem is they need Kakko

Berard or Othmaan are the only young guys that could step in and that’s still not for sure

Edstrom and Rempe are more 4th like options that I could see coming up and down all year

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Honestly, I am just not ready to give up on Kaako yet. He might never be the player we hoped for and envisioned, but he can still be a solid NHL player. I do think that there is another level to his game that we have just only seen glimpses of. Another disappointing year and I will likely feel differently. But not yet.
Kakko will likely end up a defensively stalwart 2nd line winger who can play up when needed. As you said, not what we were hoping for, but valuable nonetheless.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They would not trade Kakko for a vet. Another cheaper young player in a similar situation. To upgrade the defense

Cap space to use to get another vet dman that is defensive that is mobile enough to move the puck outside the defensive zone quickly
Stop

Do you realize the hypocrisy that is evident from 2 sides of your same mouth?

After saying "not for a vet" you say his cap space for a "vet" dman.

=========
We are not renewing bread.
Even at less it is too much $$$$ and too much term
plus he's older and not built for POs

Smart move is to be sure about Kakko by adding guys who have chemistry.

Exploit Holloway + Broberg if we can, like I said
see if Helleson from ANA can be had reasonable

move on from Lindy, Vesey, Jones

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kakko will likely end up a defensively stalwart 2nd line winger who can play up when needed. As you said, not what we were hoping for, but valuable nonetheless.
Defensive stalwart is a bonus for a 2nd line winger who can play up. If he struggles again on offense in the upcoming season people and very likely front office will lose patience with waiting on Kakko to blossom. The point where he finally will be in control of his destination and the organization might be losing him for nothing then. Bringing Smith bought Drury some time to give Kakko to prove himself again. What do you do if we’re in the same position with Kakko again next offseason?

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Defensive stalwart is a bonus for a 2nd line winger who can play up. If he struggles again on offense in the upcoming season people and very likely front office will lose patience with waiting on Kakko to blossom. The point where he finally will be in control of his destination and the organization might be losing him for nothing then. Bringing Smith bought Drury some time to give Kakko to prove himself again. What do you do if we’re in the same position with Kakko again next offseason?
Then you sell him for pennies on the dollar because you’re forced to, and it will have been the right decision.

He is a young cost controlled NHL player with potential upside. I have my doubts on whether he can take another step, but I believe the ability to have him for one more season to see if he can make improvements is of more value to the team than the perceived loss in value by waiting to trade him for another year.

Assuming he does not make any improvements and is status quo next season, these are the choices we have:

• trade him now for a similar struggling prospect, or a 3rd round pick (2nd if you're lucky)
  • trade him next offseason for a 4th or 5th round pick.
Are we really sweating the potential of missing out on mid round draft picks that will very likely never be what Kakko already is for us? Add in the potential for improvement and I'd say it would be pretty dumb to sell low on him now.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If Kakko doesn't improve he's gone next summer. No room with wingers knocking on the door.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Then you sell him for pennies on the dollar because you’re forced to, and it will have been the right decision.

He is a young cost controlled NHL player with potential upside. I have my doubts on whether he can take another step, but I believe the ability to have him for one more season to see if he can make improvements is of more value to the team than the perceived loss in value by waiting to trade him for another year.

Assuming he does not make any improvements and is status quo next season, these are the choices we have:

• trade him now for a similar struggling prospect, or a 3rd round pick (2nd if you're lucky)
  • trade him next offseason for a 4th or 5th round pick.
Are we really sweating the potential of missing out on mid round draft picks that will very likely never be what Kakko already is for us? Add in the potential for improvement and I'd say it would be pretty dumb to sell low on him now.
I agree. There’s pretty much a consensus at this point that that this this is a show-me season from Kakko where he’ll need to provide offense to have any kind of future with the Rangers. But even if he does and a season from now the team would want to keep him long-term, would he want the same then?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Define “same position”… another injury impacted season? Or just numbers wise? If he plays like a decent defensive 3rd line winger you offer him a commensurate contract, unless someone will offer the value of something more than that in a trade.
There’s no doubt it’s an important season for him as far as defining how he is slotted and paid in this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: majordomo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Define “same position”… another injury impacted season? Or just numbers wise? If he plays like a decent defensive 3rd line winger you offer him a commensurate contract, unless someone will offer the value of something more than that in a trade.
There’s no doubt it’s an important season for him as far as defining how he is slotted and paid in this league.
As position means unrealized offensive performance while not getting too-6 opportunities which is a very likely scenario. He’ll be one year from free agency and pretty sure would want to find a longterm location where he’d be given opportunities to play with linemates that compliment his game and more minutes all around.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If Kakko doesn't improve he's gone next summer. No room with wingers knocking on the door.
I don't know, I think this might be an overreaction to his abilities vs his draft position. I mean as long as his contract isn't out of line with what he provides what's the issue with keeping him? Trading him now gets you a lotteries chance at getting an nhl player, wouldn't it just be better to keep a young player, in the nhl, who can play defense and possibly improve in other areas going forward as long as his cap in line with his value on the team? I'd prefer the lottery to be him improving instead of a 2nd rounder that may never be an nhl player.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
As position means unrealized offensive performance while not getting too-6 opportunities which is a very likely scenario. He’ll be one year from free agency and pretty sure would want to find a longterm location where he’d be given opportunities to play with linemates that compliment his game and more minutes all around.
I think if he gets time with a healthy Chytil he’ll top what he did two seasons ago. KK, Chytil, Cuylle IMO would compliment each other and be a dangerous 2 way 3rd, or 2nd if Mika and Kreids continue to score at a third line rate off of the PP, line.
The main thing should be finding out just what Kakko is capable of, so we can make an informed choice on what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad