Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I highly doubt they will follow that logic. They will blame Drury.

I don't know what would drive you to that conclusion.

Players have been traded away from the team before.

It’s nice to dream but replace Lindgren with who ?

Unless a Lindgren and Kakko for something crazy like Colton and Girard happens

It’s gonna out of left field so unlikely

Lets roll with the logic that they can't find a reasonable "actually fits the role" argument.

As of right now, you're probably right as they let the window to replacement him (UFA) pass by. It isn't a bad idea to fill the spot with a stop gap and upgrade it later (see: trade deadline) if need be. It's a better option than locking up an option for significant dollars who doesn't fit.

You're not going to find a perfect option at sub 2 million (thats all thats available via UFA right now) but you can find a better option at that price.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The primary issue here is you're using "PP%" for different units. What does that even mean? If PP2 comes out for an 8 second shift are you going to say they are 0/1? In that case the average success rate for a PP2 is going to be very low, likely below 10%. You very obviously need to look at things on a per minute basis here. Even that isn't perfect because the success rate of PP2 getting a rare shift to start a PP will be far higher than their success rate when getting the second shift on a PP.

Second, the Rangers didn't have any forwards (other than Bonino who was cut) average over 2 minutes/game on the PK so you're talking about such a minimum about of ice time that you're cutting out per game. The Rangers were shorthanded 2.83 times/game. Zibanejad played 1:54/game on the PK. So he averages about 40 seconds per PK. Cutting out one PK, so 40 seconds of ice time is going to make some massive difference? He's also an extremely good scorer on the PK so cutting his ice time there is stupid. It's not entirely unheard of for players to score at a higher rate at 4v5 than 5v5.
Facts but it will fall on deaf ear.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I would have been slightly pleased if the offseason played out as it has + a Lindgren trade for an upgrade at that position even with the Trouba f***ery.

Could have been a massive leap forward had they replaced both of the top 4 issues but instead it looks like they'll both be back. Such a missed opportunity and one of them is going to be completely self inflicted.
Agree that upgrading 1LD would already be an “acceptable” improvement. And I will continue to stay positive that it will happen until we get out of offseason to camp.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
A. How did that work out in the last two post seasons? That’s a fine idea in a regular season, but not in a series of seven games that you have to win a majority of to advance. You don’t have the runway for that sort of patience. Especially the further a series goes. The obstinate opposition to a fallback plan is pretty wild. Hahaha.

B. Kettle Black. If a player normally kills every penalty, say an avg of four a game and they normally are out for half of each, that’s four minutes. If you cut them back to an avg of one PK a game that is one minute. Are they still killing penalties? YES. Are they playing the same minutes? NO. They are playing three minutes less. And assuming a 20 min a game ATOI thats 15% less TOI and they ARE still killing penalties. THAT is simple math for most. How this is beyond your ability to reconcile is beyond me.

As I said, you do you.
You think we’re stupid? Where did you get a forward unit playing one whole minute per PK (a newbie soon find out it’s 30-40 seconds) so the whole thing is about 3 min per game. But even at your suggestion to cutting down to one PK shift per game (as you said it’s one minute long) - then why even bother? Goes back to where it’s started - if your idea is to cut their ice time is to look into PK then for any meaningful impact - remove them altogether (not some silly “reduced time” nonsense).

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
With Schneider signed, Rangers have $5.15M in cap space with a 22 player roster (14 F, 6 D and 2 G). Lindgren will likely get around $4M AAV, giving the Rangers $1.15M in cap space with a 23 player roster.

I doubt they carry 23, any one player the drop to the AHL will bring their available cap space to around $2M to start the season.

That equates to a pretty decent chunk of change at the TDL if the Rangers maintain that for most of the season.

Reactions: pld459666

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I also see the uncomfortable conversation that a lot of people here have not brought up.

Chytil is not a viable option to be 3C, or really anything else on the roster anymore. We’re just going to hold our heads down and pray that he magically recovers from the concussion issue? If this guy gets one more he’s cooked. Even if he doesn’t, he might be cooked. I think that’s a clear spot where we should upgrade. But that’s a conversation people seem to ignore.

I don’t see anything in the recent past and especially post concussions that would point to Chytil having a “breakout” or even being a regular in the lineup. I’m not really sure where the optimism is coming from.
Every time Chytil takes a bump, everyone holds their breath.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
With Schneider signed, Rangers have $5.15M in cap space with a 22 player roster (14 F, 6 D and 2 G). Lindgren will likely get around $4M AAV, giving the Rangers $1.15M in cap space with a 23 player roster.

I doubt they carry 23, any one player the drop to the AHL will bring their available cap space to around $2M to start the season.

That equates to a pretty decent chunk of change at the TDL if the Rangers maintain that for most of the season.
Their D is made of swiss cheese. The 6th and 7th options are terrible. I like Jones. He played very well in Trouba's absence. Jones is small. Ruhwedel is another small D.

Reactions: leetch99

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jones moves the puck a lot better than Ruhwedel but Ruhwedel though pretty much the same height is a lot stockier and stronger. He's also a right shot. Jones is a left.

Scanlin is pretty much a reach. I think Mancini will put himself into the picture some time this year but he's a right shot too.

Chytil's on ice awareness is one of the reasons he keeps getting concussed. He didn't see Rodrigues and he didn't see Jesper Fast. Both of those collisions were very hard and he and the guy he collided with were moving at a good clip and both of them he was concussed. When he's moving with the puck he sees who's in front of him and if someone's lurking off at an angle he doesn't always pick that guy up. Shit can happen fast. A player has to figure out how to protect himself and sometimes some luck helps too. There are guys who seem to have issues with this kind of stuff---Mark Pavelich was one. Petr Prucha was another and Filip looks like he could be one too. Jeff Skinner and Crosby have had some issues too.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The Panthers won with their best defensemen being 6 foot or under

Can we stop this shit about every defensemen needing to be some big lug

Fox is under 6 foot and arguably the best defenseman in the league. If Jones can move the puck with skill I don’t give a f*** how tall he is.
Jones makes Fox look like Chris Pronger.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gustav Forsling who I would call Florida's best D is listed on Florida's NHL site as 6'0 195 and the same on Hockey db. Elite Prospects has him at 6'0 198. He's average size...maybe slightly small as NHL D's go.

Reactions: UnSandvich

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Bourque: 5’11
Chelios: 6’0
Coffey: 6’0
Orr: 6’0

Yeah he was 5' 11 but one thing with Ray Bourque was he was thick. Hockey db lists him at 219 lbs. I can believe it. His son Ryan is a shrimp compared to him. Ray Bourque was not a small guy. Running into him was like running into a brick wall.

As far as Orr 6'0 in 1968--there weren't all that many really big players then. Maybe a handful of guys in the entire league even 6' 4. An average player then was probably 5'10/5'11. Bobby wasn't small---also he was tough and he had a temper. If he got pissed he would go after people physically. He didn't wait for his teammates though often they'd wade in after him. His career was spectacular but pretty short. For my money as good a player as Gretzky. He revolutionized the defense position---offense from defense but he also could defend pretty well. His career turned into one knee surgery after another and in the 60's and 70's surgeries were not nearly the same as today.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does anyone think that Marc Staal is gonna be back here on a PTO in training camp? Would be a good way to end his career.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
you have to stop being silly
An AHL random depth guy isn’t a good answer
you have to learn to be honest

Scanlin is not "random AHL depth guy"
he is a legit prospect
may be a bit of a reach, and will suffer growing pains short term
has sufficiient physical qualities we want
just needs development

again STOP favoring vets over youth

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

he is a legit prospect
just needs development

Scanlin is 25. He's not "youth". We have several defensemen on the team, who have been on the team for years, that are younger than him. He's almost at the point of not even being a "prospect" anymore.

Reactions: kovazub94

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

he is a legit prospect
just needs development

You even have to know your wrong right ? lol
Scanlin as the 7th ok sure
Robertson and him will clear waivers meaning NO other team cares to have them at the nhl level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad