OHL Trade Thread 2024-25

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I am starting to think that North Bay is going to trade their elite overagers like Dalyn Wakely and Owen Steensel earlier than many of us expected. With the higher than usual returns for overagers traded this week my feeling is they are going to make these trades before the start of the season and go into the season with their overages set for the year. I think they will likely keep Andrew and Jacob LeBlanc and Brice Cooke as their overages.

I think NB would prefer to trade the twins because they have 7 signed 2005-08 born defencemen, yet end up with the OAs that you suggest.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Wakely & VanSteensel?
Are there are teams that could take the twins as a package?
I think Brampton could be interested in both. They have a need a top nine winger and a veteran defenceman. However right wing is more of a need than left wing. I think the likely return on both would be a 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 6th. I am basing this on the return in previous trades for similar players. Peterborough traded a 4th, 5th and 6th for Sahil Panwar and Guelph traded a 3rd, a 5th and a 25th for Brayden Hislop. I think they would each bring in more if they were traded separately. I think the Petes may be interested in acquiring Jacob LeBlanc but have no room for Andrew LeBlanc.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think Brampton could be interested in both. They have a need a top nine winger and a veteran defenceman. However right wing is more of a need than left wing. I think the likely return on both would be a 3rd, 4th, 5th and a 6th. I am basing this on the return in previous trades for similar players. Peterborough traded a 4th, 5th and 6th for Sahil Panwar and Guelph traded a 3rd, a 5th and a 25th for Brayden Hislop. I think they would each bring in more if they were traded separately. I think the Petes may be interested in acquiring Jacob LeBlanc but have no room for Andrew LeBlanc.

I think Brampton will be bigger fish hunting for sure.

I think the twins stay in NB. They will add some decent experience and support on a rebuilding NB team. Those two will keep them respectable.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I think the twins stay in NB. They will add some decent experience and support on a rebuilding NB team. Those two will keep them respectable.

The twins staying in NB does seem most likely; but, are there better OAs out there for Brampton to fish?
Leonard maybe. I do not know of any OA RW that are available. It might make sense for Brampton to acquire an OA goalie if trading Leenders.
Picks likely do not entice Sudbury as they already have the second best collection of picks in the league. Would Leenders and Dragusica or VonRichter be on the table for DeAngelis, McCoy, Krawchuk?

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brampton can wait through to the deadline. More often than not, the best OAs only come available at the deadline. Poor teams ride them for additional points in the standings. When they are officially not contending, the selloff happens. Only excess OAs are available right now. Teams that have already thrown in the towel on the season may make one available but even then, only if they already have an excess.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Brampton can wait through to the deadline. More often than not, the best OAs only come available at the deadline. Poor teams ride them for additional points in the standings. When they are officially not contending, the selloff happens. Only excess OAs are available right now. Teams that have already thrown in the towel on the season may make one available but even then, only if they already have an excess.

That does not help me realize the OA big fish that Brampton might be hunting for though. Are you thinking Wakely so JVV and Karmiris are on wings? That might be a way to go considering there are no OA RW that could be considered a big fish.
Other than that you’re counting on being able to make a deal with London or Sudbury for the best OAs, if they’re selling OAs at the deadline.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
That does not help me realize the OA big fish that Brampton might be hunting for though. Are you thinking Wakely so JVV and Karmiris are on wings? That might be a way to go considering there are no OA RW that could be considered a big fish.
Other than that you’re counting on being able to make a deal with London or Sudbury for the best OAs, if they’re selling OAs at the deadline.
Konnor Smith would seem, at least to me, to be a good fit based on the way they like to play in Brampton. They have that physical/tough team identity that he would seem to fit with. Smith and Leskovar wouldn't be much fun to play against.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

If a team like Saginaw can add Owen Beck and shift Haight to the wing, so can Brampton. You could argue that none of the Brampton centres are elite in any way. None of them take faceoffs at a >50% clip. None of them are particularly great two-way. They are very serviceable but the strength on that team is the overall skill of the forward group. They added Rehkopf as the #1. Wakely could be #2. Shift Karmiris to the wing. Maybe a better two way 19 year old centre could become available that feeds the wingers?

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Konnor Smith would seem, at least to me, to be a good fit based on the way they like to play in Brampton. They have that physical/tough team identity that he would seem to fit with. Smith and Leskovar wouldn't be much fun to play against.

literally a BIG fish :) not sure that’s what OMG67 meant though.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Needed to edit my original post and started having technical difficulties. I neglected to add Rehkopf to the post so it didn’t read as I planned…

So, what I am saying is they can add either the OA RW (whomever comes available) OR as you mentioned, another OA Centre and shift the current centre to the wing. Like I said, it is not like the existing centres “returning from last year” are elite. All of them play as average two way centres so shifting them to the wing shouldn’t be a big deal.

They may not need to go get Wakely. In their situation, it may be better to get a solid 19yo two-way centre that provides less offence but is able to feed the wingers, especially if moving a couple centres to the wing. Adding a more dynamic winger like Van Steensel would be more impactful IMO. Maybe a centre like Brad Gardiner if Ottawa were so inclined to move him would be a good fit in that style of system there. You give him wingers like he’d get in Brampton, he’d go get pucks and feed them nicely while taking care of his own end.

Misa - Rehkopf - Martone
MacDonell - Gardiner - Karmiris
Van Steensel (OA) - JVV - xxx

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If a team like Saginaw can add Owen Beck and shift Haight to the wing, so can Brampton. You could argue that none of the Brampton centres are elite in any way. None of them take faceoffs at a >50% clip. None of them are particularly great two-way. They are very serviceable but the strength on that team is the overall skill of the forward group. They added Rehkopf as the #1. Wakely could be #2. Shift Karmiris to the wing. Maybe a better two way 19 year old centre could become available that feeds the wingers?

If not necessarily looking for the top OAs, and preferably not moving roster players; O.Allard would be an excellent 3rd centre option.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
They have two open OA spots do they not? Maybe I'm wrong but they could get the big man out of Owen Sound and then grab an OA forward piece. I think Leskovar is the only rostered 04 as of now. They certainly have options anyways.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
They have two open OA spots do they not? Maybe I'm wrong but they could get the big man out of Owen Sound and then grab an OA forward piece. I think Leskovar is the only rostered 04 as of now. They certainly have options anyways.

seems a bit unlikely Leskovar and K.Smith co-exist. It is entirely possible one of Dragusica or VonRichter is moved out to make room for the best available OA RD or a 19 yr old LD better than either of those two OAs.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Needed to edit my original post and started having technical difficulties. I neglected to add Rehkopf to the post so it didn’t read as I planned…

So, what I am saying is they can add either the OA RW (whomever comes available) OR as you mentioned, another OA Centre and shift the current centre to the wing. Like I said, it is not like the existing centres “returning from last year” are elite. All of them play as average two way centres so shifting them to the wing shouldn’t be a big deal.

They may not need to go get Wakely. In their situation, it may be better to get a solid 19yo two-way centre that provides less offence but is able to feed the wingers, especially if moving a couple centres to the wing. Adding a more dynamic winger like Van Steensel would be more impactful IMO. Maybe a centre like Brad Gardiner if Ottawa were so inclined to move him would be a good fit in that style of system there. You give him wingers like he’d get in Brampton, he’d go get pucks and feed them nicely while taking care of his own end.

Misa - Rehkopf - Martone
MacDonell - Gardiner - Karmiris
Van Steensel (OA) - JVV - xxx

Gardiner would be a real nice add for any team, I think.
Maybe Karmiris can stay at centre share face-offs with MacDonell. Karmiris lead the team with 950 draws at 17; and imo, has Romani like offensive upside.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
seems a bit unlikely Leskovar and K.Smith co-exist. It is entirely possible one of Dragusica or VonRichter is moved out to make room for the best available OA RD or a 19 yr old LD better than either of those two OAs.
Fair enough but if it were me, I'd love having those two giants on the back end the way the team plays. I think it would be tough to move Von Richter as he should be a big piece for them this year. Dragusica maybe if he had to be part of a deal to bring in an upgrade but he seems to profile the style they like. Gee seems like the most logical spot to upgrade in my opinion. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with the two open OA spots. They should be in a position of strength in that regard as they don't have excess OAs to sort through which should make deals easier to make.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014

If the twins stay in NB, this STH will not be happy. Average skill with low hockey IQ. A throw in to get Vilmanis.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
This all comes down to how far “all in” Brampton truly is. They acquired Rehkopf to help nail down the centre ice position. They have some depth on the wings. They have two open OA slots. They could add a centre and push KArmiris to the wing. They could choose to go get a pest like Stonehouse and sacrifice a bit of offence. They could get a high flying LW like Van Steensel and move someone to the off wing. They could jsut roll with the offence they have and simply add two D-Men instead of just one(one big and one skilled). That is all just considering the open OA slots. That doesn’t consider adding another 19 year old.

Brampton has a lot of flexibility in so far as how much they want to push the envelope. Personally, I think they need a skilled D-Man that Q-B’s the PP at a high level. IF they can nail that down with an OA slot, I think that would be super helpful. They may need to wait for that market to open up though. See who is returned to Junior. At first glance, DeAngelis seems to be the best fit there.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If the twins stay in NB, this STH will not be happy. Average skill with low hockey IQ. A throw in to get Vilmanis.

I think other teams will determine the battalion OAs.
The twins were pretty darn good in NB imo.
A.LeBlanc is not exactly creative; but was nearly pt/g, and controlled the puck deep for good amounts of time. He would be probably be very good with the colts.
J.LeBlanc was better defensively than I previously thought. He will get a lot of points with NB with Nelson graduated.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
This all comes down to how far “all in” Brampton truly is. They acquired Rehkopf to help nail down the centre ice position. They have some depth on the wings. They have two open OA slots. They could add a centre and push KArmiris to the wing. They could choose to go get a pest like Stonehouse and sacrifice a bit of offence. They could get a high flying LW like Van Steensel and move someone to the off wing. They could jsut roll with the offence they have and simply add two D-Men instead of just one(one big and one skilled). That is all just considering the open OA slots. That doesn’t consider adding another 19 year old.

Brampton has a lot of flexibility in so far as how much they want to push the envelope. Personally, I think they need a skilled D-Man that Q-B’s the PP at a high level. IF they can nail that down with an OA slot, I think that would be super helpful. They may need to wait for that market to open up though. See who is returned to Junior. At first glance, DeAngelis seems to be the best fit there.

Fibigr is the offensive D, Harding the all-purpose D. They most certainly can add an OA D that can do well on the right side to have three good pairs.
And they can add an OA goalie if trading Leenders. That would be a cost effective way to ensure a good goalie each start and insurance.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fibigr is the offensive D, Harding the all-purpose D. They most certainly can add an OA D that can do well on the right side to have three good pairs.
And they can add an OA goalie if trading Leenders. That would be a cost effective way to ensure a good goalie each start and insurance.

You don’t need a good goalie for every start. The only reason to employ an OA goalie is if you honestly want a potential injury replacement but that is a big sacrifice to make because even if they do manage to get a decent OA goalie willing to play as the backup, how good will that guy be compared to Ivankovic if they had to go to him in the playoffs?

If you have a Championship calibre team, a competent backup should win most of the easy games they would be employed in. It isn’t often that a team plays 3 in 4 agaisnt all contender types. As long as you have a goalie that isn’t a complete nag, you should win those games against the weaker competition. Provided the starts are properly assigned, a Contending team may have 3-4 games where a backup plays against a quality team. To me, that is not worth burning the OA slot.

In Brampton’s situation, they only need a capable backup. From a deployment of assets perspective, having an OA goalie sitting on the bench opening the door as a backup is no different than having both Leenders and Ivankovic. Just a waste of assets when only one can play at a time. Maybe it is a nice luxury but even Ottawa wasn’t able to keep two goalies happy last year with MacKenzie and Donoso. Both of them knew one needed to go and let’s face it, Donoso wasn’t a stud OA goalie. HE was capable but no stud. Even he wanted to be the starter. What would that look like in Brampton with Ivankovic?

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Konnor Smith and Stevie Leskovar were teammates on the Peterborough Petes for a season and a half and I think they were defence partners for period when they both played for the Petes. Teams wanting to win a championship need players like this. In the playoffs shot blocking and physical defencemen are an important part of a successful team. Plus Konnor has Memorial Cup experience.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You don’t need a good goalie for every start. The only reason to employ an OA goalie is if you honestly want a potential injury replacement but that is a big sacrifice to make because even if they do manage to get a decent OA goalie willing to play as the backup, how good will that guy be compared to Ivankovic if they had to go to him in the playoffs?

If you have a Championship calibre team, a competent backup should win most of the easy games they would be employed in. It isn’t often that a team plays 3 in 4 agaisnt all contender types. As long as you have a goalie that isn’t a complete nag, you should win those games against the weaker competition. Provided the starts are properly assigned, a Contending team may have 3-4 games where a backup plays against a quality team. To me, that is not worth burning the OA slot.

In Brampton’s situation, they only need a capable backup. From a deployment of assets perspective, having an OA goalie sitting on the bench opening the door as a backup is no different than having both Leenders and Ivankovic. Just a waste of assets when only one can play at a time. Maybe it is a nice luxury but even Ottawa wasn’t able to keep two goalies happy last year with MacKenzie and Donoso. Both of them knew one needed to go and let’s face it, Donoso wasn’t a stud OA goalie. HE was capable but no stud. Even he wanted to be the starter. What would that look like in Brampton with Ivankovic?

was definitely thinking about a good OA goalie in case of injury, and does not cost the team some easy points in the regular season.
There are a lot of OA goalies to be had cheap. Stutzka might be the only trustworthy 19 yr old available. It is sweet to do right by Leenders, but turning a team strength into a question mark doesn’t seem to me the right thing to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad