Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Tbh all it took was 5 minutes on Cap Friendly (RIP) to know that major changes weren’t really feasible.

I don’t expect them to do the right thing, but the most major net positive change they can make is still on the table (getting rid of Lindgren) so I guess there’s that.

I’d imagine it’s hard to find a 1 for 1 LD swap that makes sense so I’d expect Lindgren back

The only question is a 1 yr arbitration taking him to ufa or say 3 yrs at 4ish

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Guess it depends on your perspective. I’m of the belief that Lindgren is addition by subtraction, so I obviously don’t agree.

Have to replace him
I think the desire for change is making some overreact. He’s not a bum but if you want 1 yr then reevaluate next year I get it

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
While I think Weegar would be a good add, can he play the left side? He's listed as a right handed shot. With Fox, Schneider and (unfortunately) Trouba, there isn't any room on the right. Then there is trading Kakko who plays a position the Rangers are hurting depth wise to add to a position that isn't.

If he was naturally a LD that's a different story.
He plays both sides iirc

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Starting with Isles at 20.3% there were 14 teams that were under this percentage. Asking your second unit to be that is unrealistic.

(Just as unrealistic as saying keep Zibanejad - Kreider as a PK unit but somehow also cut their PK time by 3 min - math does not work).
Well first I said EIGHTEEN TO TWENTY, NOT TWENTY, and there were 8 teams below that. The Flyers at 12%. But even if a pp with Laf and Fox on it can’t do better than 16% it’s still better than what our #1 powerplay does when it goes cold for 5 games in a series and prevents us from advancing to the next series. I don’t understand the resistance to having options, but you do you, bud.

Your obsession with refusing to understand how to there is a lot of real estate between putting a player our for EVERY penalty kill or NONE of them is truly monumental. Congrats on that. Hahahaha. Amazing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Well first I said EIGHTEEN TO TWENTY, NOT TWENTY, and there were 8 teams below that. The Flyers at 12%. But even if a pp with Laf and Fox on it can’t do better than 16% it’s still better than what our #1 powerplay does when it goes cold for 5 games in a series and prevents us from advancing to the next series. I don’t understand the resistance to having options, but you do you, bud.

Your obsession with refusing to understand how to there is a lot of real estate between putting a player out for EVERY penalty kill or NONE of them is truly monumental. Congrats on that. Hahahaha. Amazing.
A. As it was said to you the way to get out of PP slump was via playing more, not less. I also just showed to you that asking for 18%-20% out of your SECOND unit is quite a reach.

B. You’re obsessed with avoiding a pretty simple math or just looking up an average PK time per game realize what you’re proposing was not feasible (if not nonsense). There’s a reason PK time is allocated among 3 pairs of forwards on a game-by-game basis because there’s only only so little time to share..

In both instances it looks like you choose to continue debating just for the sake of it.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
A. As it was said to you the way to get out of PP slump was via playing more, not less. I also just showed to you that asking for 18%-20% out of your SECOND unit is quite a reach.

B. You’re obsessed with avoiding a pretty simple math or just looking up an average PK time per game realize what you’re proposing was not feasible (if not nonsense).

In both instances it looks like you choose to continue debating just for the sake of it.
A. How did that work out in the last two post seasons? That’s a fine idea in a regular season, but not in a series of seven games that you have to win a majority of to advance. You don’t have the runway for that sort of patience. Especially the further a series goes. The obstinate opposition to a fallback plan is pretty wild. Hahaha.

B. Kettle Black. If a player normally kills every penalty, say an avg of four a game and they normally are out for half of each, that’s four minutes. If you cut them back to an avg of one PK a game that is one minute. Are they still killing penalties? YES. Are they playing the same minutes? NO. They are playing three minutes less. And assuming a 20 min a game ATOI thats 15% less TOI and they ARE still killing penalties. THAT is simple math for most. How this is beyond your ability to reconcile is beyond me.

As I said, you do you.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The primary issue here is you're using "PP%" for different units. What does that even mean? If PP2 comes out for an 8 second shift are you going to say they are 0/1? In that case the average success rate for a PP2 is going to be very low, likely below 10%. You very obviously need to look at things on a per minute basis here. Even that isn't perfect because the success rate of PP2 getting a rare shift to start a PP will be far higher than their success rate when getting the second shift on a PP.

Second, the Rangers didn't have any forwards (other than Bonino who was cut) average over 2 minutes/game on the PK so you're talking about such a minimum about of ice time that you're cutting out per game. The Rangers were shorthanded 2.83 times/game. Zibanejad played 1:54/game on the PK. So he averages about 40 seconds per PK. Cutting out one PK, so 40 seconds of ice time is going to make some massive difference? He's also an extremely good scorer on the PK so cutting his ice time there is stupid. It's not entirely unheard of for players to score at a higher rate at 4v5 than 5v5.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I would have been slightly pleased if the offseason played out as it has + a Lindgren trade for an upgrade at that position even with the Trouba f***ery.

Could have been a massive leap forward had they replaced both of the top 4 issues but instead it looks like they'll both be back. Such a missed opportunity and one of them is going to be completely self inflicted.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If Weegar can indeed play the left side proficiently, a trade around Lindgren (younger player for a Flames team looking to rebuild and also could be a trade deadline asset for them) for Weegar could make sense.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Fox and lafreniere are mad about a potential Lindgren trade, they can blame the captain. They could hold onto Lindgren if Trouba and his contract were hell bent on staying.

If they're mad about a potential Lindgren trade then all that tells me is that they shouldn't go into management after they're done playing.

Popular players get traded all the time, thats a part of the business.

Reactions: McRanger92 and Atax

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers power play was not good against the Panthers but the two biggest factors the Rangers ended up 1st overall in the regular season was special teams and Igor in the second half of the year. Coaches coach to win for their own job security and the Rangers power play was close to the top of the league the entire year. I just don't see big changes coming to that next season. The only player not on the first unit who I could see busting into it is Lafreniere and if it's not because of injury the two players most most replaceable for Laf IMO are Mika and Trocheck but even so they're face-off guys. Kreider is needed for net front chaos, screens and tips and Fox and Panarin are puck distribution and they have the highest hockey IQ's.

But anyway it would have been better for us if the power play had been more of a factor but the bigger issue is the Panthers outplayed us throughout the series and FWIW they have a very good and dangerous pk. IMO our power play isn't an issue.....our overall play if we're going to go farther than the conference finals is going to have to improve. That might come at the expense of someone we use right now on our top power play unit though so it doesn't mean that guys who aren't on it now won't ever get the chance.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Have to replace him
I think the desire for change is making some overreact. He’s not a bum but if you want 1 yr then reevaluate next year I get it
Have to replace him NOW
and unless we get some crazy stupid good deal out of nowhere
from within

do not want to retain Lindgen another minute
should have already been dealt
his wear and tear is signif, everyone knows that
and the longer we keep him, the more that cuts into value of his return

Only going 2 years on Schneider with such a low AAV has to make you think that Drury isn't too impressed with him.
Or,
we don't have lots of cap space to go long term now b'c we instead went w/mo expensive vets
which eat up cap

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I highly doubt they will follow that logic. They will blame Drury.

It’s nice to dream but replace Lindgren with who ?

Unless a Lindgren and Kakko for something crazy like Colton and Girard happens

It’s gonna out of left field so unlikely

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad