F Gavin McKenna - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2026 Draft)

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Great skater but turns the puck over more than most Decision making at times is suspect. Trying to do too much and it is not working.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Let’s be real, he had a very disappointing Hlinka.

Doesn’t mean he’s not on pace to be a great player, but it wasn’t his best hockey. Might slow down the hype a little at this point, and that also could be a positive.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Let’s be real, he had a very disappointing Hlinka.

Doesn’t mean he’s not on pace to be a great player, but it wasn’t his best hockey. Might slow down the hype a little at this point, and that also could be a positive.
I would say he had a slightly or maybe moderately disappointing tournament. I think its still clear that he is easily the most talented offensively in the 07 age group and has the highest upside of any player.

But for those people who labelled him better than Bedard or a generational talent or whatever, then year they will probably slow down. It was pretty ridiculous to begin with - he isn't a Crosby, McDavid or Bedard level prospect and never has been. He is still amazing though. I have no doubt he could become a top 10 or even top 5 offensive talent in the NHL someday, but I don't see the type of player who is considered the best for a decade like Crosby or McDavid were, nor is he anywhere near them at the same age. Honestly I could see him becoming the next Spezza type and I don't mean that in a bad way. Spezza had finishes of 4 and 6 in pts and would have 2-3 100 point seasons if he could stay healthy. Or something like a Huberdeau, maybe with more seasons like his peak.

Regardless, he's an amazing prospect and we shouldn't really take it as a slight when he falls short of ridiculous expectations that like 10% of posters on here repeat and try to speak into existence. I know Button said it too but it is literally his job to promote these guys. He's still the favorite to go #1 in 2026 and could very well be an elite offensive superstar in the NHL, nothing about this tournament made me think otherwise.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Disappointing effort compared to the spring; some of that comes down to him not being able to penetrate in transition like he did in the spring, forcing plays along on zone entries, and general more loose play than the sprint. He was also straddled with the worst forward on the team, which did not help as they looked clueless playing with each other, and had difficulties playing off and finding each other.

But one thing that appeared more evident was his extremely strong defensive play. He ripped the puck off several defenders and made great plays on backchecks and transition passes.

I maintain that he is a first line elite talent, but not generational and not franchise. Granted, different positions, but with his otherworldly hands and defensive thievery, is outside the realm of possibility to imagine a Datsyuk-style player at the next level? We shall see

MikeyS

Aug 28, 2023
He’s still going to be good, but not a generational talent like many were spewing.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I've never thought he was generational like with Bedard(and potentially DuPont) but he should end up a face of a franchise like a Kucherov or Kaprizov. Someone you can definitely build around as the main piece

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Thinking folks should maybe pump the brakes on making assessments of this kid based on the Hlinka. That was a very disjointed Canadian team, despite being loaded with talent. They were never fully in sync, and never really unloaded on anyone. They played ok defensively, and were bailed out by some pretty solid goaltending.

The value in these tournaments from a scouting standpoint is playing against elite competition could expose a particular weakness. Can someone cite an instance where he was exposed? I saw a player who was creating chances against every team he faced. Is it a problem he didn’t finish more? Sure, but I don’t think can argue that he’s historically shown a lack of finish, so a five-game sample isn’t enough to really put a damper on what’s been a good start to his prospect career.

wickedwitch

Mar 21, 2010
Thinking folks should maybe pump the brakes on making assessments of this kid based on the Hlinka. That was a very disjointed Canadian team, despite being loaded with talent. They were never fully in sync, and never really unloaded on anyone. They played ok defensively, and were bailed out by some pretty solid goaltending.

The value in these tournaments from a scouting standpoint is playing against elite competition could expose a particular weakness. Can someone cite an instance where he was exposed? I saw a player who was creating chances against every team he faced. Is it a problem he didn’t finish more? Sure, but I don’t think can argue that he’s historically shown a lack of finish, so a five-game sample isn’t enough to really put a damper on what’s been a good start to his prospect career.
All people are saying is that he may not be as good as Crosby/McDavid. Does that really qualify as "putting a damper on?"

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would say he had a slightly or maybe moderately disappointing tournament. I think its still clear that he is easily the most talented offensively in the 07 age group and has the highest upside of any player.

But for those people who labelled him better than Bedard or a generational talent or whatever, then year they will probably slow down. It was pretty ridiculous to begin with - he isn't a Crosby, McDavid or Bedard level prospect and never has been. He is still amazing though. I have no doubt he could become a top 10 or even top 5 offensive talent in the NHL someday, but I don't see the type of player who is considered the best for a decade like Crosby or McDavid were, nor is he anywhere near them at the same age. Honestly I could see him becoming the next Spezza type and I don't mean that in a bad way. Spezza had finishes of 4 and 6 in pts and would have 2-3 100 point seasons if he could stay healthy. Or something like a Huberdeau, maybe with more seasons like his peak.

Regardless, he's an amazing prospect and we shouldn't really take it as a slight when he falls short of ridiculous expectations that like 10% of posters on here repeat and try to speak into existence. I know Button said it too but it is literally his job to promote these guys. He's still the favorite to go #1 in 2026 and could very well be an elite offensive superstar in the NHL, nothing about this tournament made me think otherwise.
Bedard isn't a Bedard level prospect.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
I thought he was really snake bit, he created a lot of chances for himself and team mates but just did not have the luck that he had at the U18 for whatever reason.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
He was very snakebitten at the Hlinka, but I agree. Overall it was a very lackluster tournament by him compared to his underage U18 tournament earlier in the year. It could be attributed to summer hockey, and that U18 team in Spring being far better on paper than this summer Hlinka team, but he really didnt have the x-factor or drive the pace of play at a superstar level here in August.

I still think hes going to have a big year in the WHL and go for 100+ points, that will be the important factor that decides whether hes an elite, superstar NHL prospect he's made out to be by scouts and rankings.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
People put too much stock on the Hlinka tournament.

His WHL performance is a much better indicator who he is than a summer tournament.

Cayden Lindstrom just went 4th overall, Basha was considered a late first by many in the draft.

McKenna is 2 years younger than both and scored at a higher pace.

He's only 16 now, he's still 2 years away from being drafted. He has good size for a 16 year old, he's likely going to grow another inch or two before he makes it to the NHL.

He's already a good step above where Celebrini, Fantilli, and Carlsson were at when their 15 year old seasons ended, he's on pace to be quite a bit higher than those guys are and those 3 all project to be high end NHL centres.

No he's not at the level of McDavid, Crosby, or Tavares at the end of their 15 year old seasons but his developmental numbers are still pretty similiar to Bedard. Watching him play this year (as a 15 year old), you could see he can already keep up to 18/19 year olds in junior.

Generational title wouldn't be appropriate for him but superstar tier is well within his grasp.

Every great player had tournaments where they didn't break out and do great things. Bedard had one when he was 15 where he was less than a point per game, those things happen.

People are reading way to much into the Hlinka like they always do.

Reactions: Bubbles

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
People put too much stock on the Hlinka tournament.

His WHL performance is a much better indicator who he is than a summer tournament.

Cayden Lindstrom just went 4th overall, Basha was considered a late first by many in the draft.

McKenna is 2 years younger than both and scored at a higher pace.

He's only 16 now, he's still 2 years away from being drafted. He has good size for a 16 year old, he's likely going to grow another inch or two before he makes it to the NHL.

He's already a good step above where Celebrini, Fantilli, and Carlsson were at when their 15 year old seasons ended, he's on pace to be quite a bit higher than those guys are and those 3 all project to be high end NHL centres.

No he's not at the level of McDavid, Crosby, or Tavares at the end of their 15 year old seasons but his developmental numbers are still pretty similiar to Bedard. Watching him play this year (as a 15 year old), you could see he can already keep up to 18/19 year olds in junior.

Generational title wouldn't be appropriate for him but superstar tier is well within his grasp.

Every great player had tournaments where they didn't break out and do great things. Bedard had one when he was 15 where he was less than a point per game, those things happen.

People are reading way to much into the Hlinka like they always do.
He just finished his 16 year old season, not his 15 year old season, insane how many times that needs to be said

In the same season that McKenna just finished, Celebrini led the USHL in scoring by a disgusting, disgusting amount, and bypassed the Hlinka for the WJ camp.

The only tournament Bedard played in as a 15 year old he had 14 in 7 games. The only tournament he was less than a point per game was as a 16 year old in the World Juniors. McKenna never played in any international tournaments in his 15 year old season.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I saw one hell of a toolbox and dynamic player. He kepts getting chances but didn't bury them. Gold medal match he beat the shit out of stebetaks shoulder. He probably had 3 grade A scoring chances and didn't bury one.

So does that mean there is a problem... I doubt it. Learn from it and move on. Work on your release and shot placement.

Definitely an NHLer and worthy of a 1st. Doubled in scoring by Benak when benak was an underager (Benak has 10 last year 11 this year).

Not sure I'd put him on the U20.squad this year. But I do expect him to torch the WHL and make team Canada decision easy.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
He just finished his 16 year old season, not his 15 year old season, insane how many times that needs to be said

In the same season that McKenna just finished, Celebrini led the USHL in scoring by a disgusting, disgusting amount, and bypassed the Hlinka for the WJ camp.

1Mack CelebriniChicago86
2Ryan WalshCedar Rapids79
3Nick MoldenhauerChicago75
4Jack HarveyChicago74
5Jayden PerronChicago72
5Ryan St. LouisDubuque72

7 points is disgusting, disgusting? :laugh: And also, Celebrini was 16-17 that year.

Reactions: Just Linda

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
1Mack CelebriniChicago86
2Ryan WalshCedar Rapids79
3Nick MoldenhauerChicago75
4Jack HarveyChicago74
5Jayden PerronChicago72
5Ryan St. LouisDubuque72

7 points is disgusting, disgusting? :laugh: And also, Celebrini was 16-17 that year.

When you see he played 11 less games, with 16 more goals, yes, disgusting...105 had he kept that pace

3.png
Macklin Celebrini (C)San Jose Sharks
Chicago Steel504640861.726227
6.png
Ryan Walsh (C)Boston Bruins
Cedar Rapids RoughRiders613049791.302921
3.png
Nicholas Moldenhauer (C/RW)Toronto Maple Leafs
Chicago Steel553045751.361810

Yes, that's how seasons work in Junior leagues :laugh:. He was in his 16 year old season, exact same as McKenna. McKEnna being a late birthday doesn't magically turn his seaosn into an exceptional status season, that he was denied.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Yes, that's how seasons work in Junior leagues :laugh:. He was in his 16 year old season, exact same as McKenna. McKEnna being a late birthday doesn't magically turn his seaosn into an exceptional status season, that he was denied.

Most prospect analysis involves comparing their D, D-1 or D-2 seasons. Celebrini in the USHL was in his D-1 season, and McKenna has yet to play his D-1 season.

He was never denied ES. He never applied. I find it weird that McKenna "doubters" keep using an inaccurate piece of info just to make their point. Repeat. He was never denied, he never even applied.

And ES is no sure fire indicator of success anyways. Veleno, Day and Misa(maybe) are examples of not always indicating a prospect potential.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

The only tournament Bedard played in as a 15 year old he had 14 in 7 games. The only tournament he was less than a point per game was as a 16 year old in the World Juniors. McKenna never played in any international tournaments in his 15 year old season.
When people say 15 year old season, they mean D-2. Casually, 18 year old season = D+1 season, 17 = d, 16 = d-1, 19 year old = D+2 etc

Im referring to McKenna the prospect on a prospect forum, of course me (and everyone else here) is referring to his D-2 season when we say 15 and are comparing to other players in their D-2 season.

You can keep dying on your hill but you are talking about something different than everyone else.

Edit: 17 is D, 16 is D-1 etc. Y'all know what I meant lol.

Attachments

• 9033x4.jpg
    9033x4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Some of the takes in this thread are hilariously bad.

Mckenna is a beast. One mediocre tournament in the summer doesn’t override the insanity he just put forth last year.

Reactions: Just Linda

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
When people say 15 year old season, they mean D-3. Casually, 18 year old season = D season, 17 = d -1, 16 = d-2, 19 year old = D+1 etc

Im referring to McKenna the prospect on a prospect forum, of course me (and everyone else here) is referring to his D-3 season when we say 15 and are comparing to other players in their D-3 season.

You can keep dying on your hill but you are talking about something different than everyone else.
We have literally always talked about prospects in terms of their birth year because that's what the cutoff for jumping to the next level of hockey is. Last season was Zeev Buium's 18 year old season because he turned 18 before January and did not have to accelerate his schooling or hockey path to play in the NCAA. Last season was Macklin Celebrini's 17 year old season because he was 17 all year and did have to accelerate his schooling to play in the NCAA. Last season was Carter Yakemchuk's 18 year old season, and his third season playing in the CHL. Last season was Sam Dickinson's 17 year old season; and his second year playing in the CHL.

I don't understand how it's such a hard concept for people to understand that having a birthday between September 16th and December 31st is beneficial for top North American prospects because they have an extra season of development in a higher level of hockey than guys in their draft class who are born from January on.

I think it's fine to compare Bedard's D-2 season to McKenna's because Bedard was exceptional status and so both players will have played the same number of CHL seasons. But you would have to account for age correction within those seasons because Bedard was 7 months younger in his equivalent CHL season.

No one is saying that there's a huge physical difference between a player born on December 31st and one born on January 1st. But the former will have had an extra CHL season (or the ability to play NCAA in their draft season), which benefits their development and can make them appear more developed at the same "age" as the latter. It's really not rocket science.

Reactions: BondraTime

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad