Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
My definition of a functioning powerplay is one that doesn’t go 0 or 1 for 10-12 chances over 4 games in the playoffs…
As I tried to make clear already I'm not saying our powerplay hurts us regular season, but a powerplay that goes at 35% for one post season series then 13% (and I may be being generous there) the next f***s us in the playoffs even though it’s 24% overall… what’s the point? It is exactly akin to Zibs feasting on Wash diminishing during round two and disappearing against FL. He scored a ppg, but we lost (in part) because he couldn’t do jackshit in the semis.
Maybe a second unit can’t go 25%, but if it can go 18-20 when the 1st inevitably, it seems, goes ice cold we are still ahead of the game. It requires regular season investment though, even if it costs s a little regular season ground.
Again, I’m not saying to scrap the PP1, just have a functional backup. And Fox can play on both as far as I’m concerned. Hahaha.

See my above response
How common is a second PP unit being at 18-20%

Reactions: kovazub94

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I think Ruhwedel is a perfectly suitable 7D, but these Mfers are really running it back with essentially the same squad lol
Out - Goodrow, Pitlick, Wheeler, Gus, Bonino/Wennberg/Roslovic. In - Smith, Jones, a healthy Chytil(hopefully), Carrick, 2 of Rempe/Edstrom/Berard/Othmann. That's still a decent turnover from last year and it's only July 12th so maybe something else still happens.

Wtp99

May 8, 2021
I disagree with the win the cup or you suck narrative. It's reached idiotic levels on this board. It's hard to win the cup and to even have a legit shot at it. I would rather have a shot at winning and being in the final 4 than a bottom feeder making off season plans in January.
To be honest, I never said or would say they suck if they don’t win the cup. It is the situation or disappointment of not winning the cup that sucks. 65 of my years have been spent with the rose colored glasses on hoping to get that shot and thankfully I do know the feeling of winning it. I would love to have that feeling again.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think Ruhwedel is a perfectly suitable 7D, but these Mfers are really running it back with essentially the same squad lol
It's not the worse thing IMO. We are still the president's trophy winning team. We took the cup champs to 6. We upgraded Wheeler with Smith. We're starting off 2024 with a rising star instead of a potential bust-- rather... instead of two potential busts. Tro and Bread both unlocked with career high seasons. Year 2 Cuylle. Zac is a bit of a wild card compared to Gus. We don't really have cap to make a big off season move. Our Trouba gambit did not work. The squad is pretty much set up to be a TDL roster. That's probably the best scenario for Kakko. Let him play and we can make a better informed decision later in the season.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Not really dramatic, more like realistic. Likelihood he’ll be a ranger in the next year? There’s a question mark there

No I know I’m not saying he’s at the top but I just rarely see it get brought up
It was pretty dramatic. You’re acting like he’s damaged goods.

The Rangers will not replace Chytil until he proves he’s healthy or not. His trade value is likely limited by the season he just had, so there’s no point in moving on from him. So you hope he comes back strong and has a good year and reassess.

I don’t really see a need to sit here in July and worry that chytil’s career may be over when he was inserted into the lineup in the playoffs and he took some big hits and was fine. He’s a hard working kid and he battled back from the issue. Plenty of guys have done it. Crosby missed like 16 months or something.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
imo moderate 3-4 seasons, w/chance it could be shorted 1 season or expanded another 2-3 years, depending on if we are smart w/drafting/trades, and also to what extent we commit to youth over vets

youth will extend window
Agree on youth. Shesty Laf Fox Miller Schneider Gabe and more. I’m thinking our window looks 7 years if Shesty stays.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I hope Othmann and Berard make it. I think they should have been the trade deadline call up for depth this past season. It’s not like these rentals have really helped much. Another issue is depth on defense. Rangers don’t have much defense in Hartford that is young, that is a big issue. Do the Rangers need to keep relying on Harpur and Mackey AHL players when injuries happen. They don’t have another Schneider type meaning type as in young and close to NHL ready in Hartford, Let’s hope Mancini can be that diamond in the rough that they need in the future. He seems to progress nicely so far, based on his little AHL experience towards the end of last season and the playoffs. Maybe he surprises and gets a few games this season. Rangers should have signed some UDFA or defensive prospects that other teams did not sign to ELC for more depth instead of guys to AHL contracts on d for depth for Hartford. Organization defensive depth is a huge issue but Rangers seem to ignore that for some reason. Drafting a dman who is in college or juniors is nice for the future but as of now, not much defensive prospects that are playing pro hockey. Rangers could trade a forward pro prospect for a defensive pro prospect.

People are down on Robertson but I still believe he will be an nhl player. I look at Schneider when he spent time in Hartford and he looked mediocre there too but looked like a different player when he stepped up to the Rangers, and imo it comes down with playing with good forwards you can make an easy exit to. I hope he gets a stretch to see what he can do, a game or two isn't good enough I wanna see a couple weeks of play, maybe a call up, practice for a week or two as 7d and then a stretch to see if he can get comfortable.

Agree on youth. Shesty Laf Fox Miller Schneider Gabe and more. I’m thinking our window looks 7 years if Shesty stays.
Garand is in the minors too

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
How common is a second PP unit being at 18-20%
How many second power plays have a Lafreniere, and to my mind, Fox on it? Yeah I think Fox could play on both. And if Laf gets on PP1 who moves to 2nd? Zibs? We have more layers we’d like to see on PP1 than we have spots on PP1.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Brunson also has ties to the Knicks. His father is an assistant coach and his ex agent is Leon Rose. Can the Rangers hire Igor's father? LOL.
It’s much different bc Brunson is getting like $37M a year and will opt out and get paid anyway.

Hockey players don’t make as much but it would be nice to see Igor say okay, highest paid G is 10.5 give me 10.8 and that’s enough for me

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The amount of money the NBA throws around is in a different stratosphere than hockey. Shout out Gary Bettman

Igor should go get every dollar from the Rangers and not think twice

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
It was pretty dramatic. You’re acting like he’s damaged goods.

The Rangers will not replace Chytil until he proves he’s healthy or not. His trade value is likely limited by the season he just had, so there’s no point in moving on from him. So you hope he comes back strong and has a good year and reassess.

I don’t really see a need to sit here in July and worry that chytil’s career may be over when he was inserted into the lineup in the playoffs and he took some big hits and was fine. He’s a hard working kid and he battled back from the issue. Plenty of guys have done it. Crosby missed like 16 months or something.
I mean is he not damaged goods? He came in one game and then was out the very next game for another undisclosed injury.

what’s the likelihood chytil will play 82 games next year based on his passed history?

I don’t think it’s that far of a reach

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
It’s much different bc Brunson is getting like $37M a year and will opt out and get paid anyway.

Hockey players don’t make as much but it would be nice to see Igor say okay, highest paid G is 10.5 give me 10.8 and that’s enough for me
The difference is nobody is paying 76 billion for the NHL's TV rights anytime soon.

Reactions: jerseyjinx94

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I mean is he not damaged goods? He came in one game and then was out the very next game for another undisclosed injury.

what’s the likelihood chytil will play 82 games next year based on his passed history?

What’s the likelihood any player will play 82 games next year?

Reactions: tiggles

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I get it, but you can’t exactly blame me for having premonitions based on this franchise’s ability to develop forwards.

Save for the miracle of Laf (ha who knew playing him with good players would make a difference), it’s been pretty bleak. I don’t buy the bad luck bs with the draft picks. Okay maybe one, but when three and almost a 4th look to fail, it speaks more to an organizational fault than blaming these kids.

It was a really good year but then the end was disappointing....almost depressingly so if you don't have decent coping strategies anyway.

......and so people now are cycling all kinds of worst case scenarios in part because nothing is going on because July's are dead and at least for me the negativity can get old particularly because people borrow a lot of these scenarios from each other after which they become narratives (whether there's much too them or not) that take on lives of their own. I guess it's a way of keeping a conversation going.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
My hopeful roster given we're looking like we're stuck with Trouba.

Panarin Zibanejad Lafreniere
Kreider Trochek Smith
Othmann Chytil Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Vesey

Miller Schneider
Lindgren Fox
Jones Trouba ...Robertson

Imo that's a fairly heavy lineup that can compete with physical teams and as well as skilled teams.

Reactions: RagFinMet

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

You mean an illness?

I get the concerns here, but lets not re-write what actually happened.

Reactions: cheech70

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I disagree with the win the cup or you suck narrative. It's reached idiotic levels on this board. It's hard to win the cup and to even have a legit shot at it. I would rather have a shot at winning and being in the final 4 than a bottom feeder making off season plans in January.
for me it’s not whether they win it or not, but if they bow out with shitters in the lineup when they didn’t have to. All I ask is the team puts their best 6D and 12F in the lineup and I can live with the result. Especially when the difference in the series is a couple goals even with the self inflicted cheeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad