Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I've mentioned it a few times that on here Spitserov should just play 3 on 3 hockey always lol He showed out a few times in that format when he came to dev camp.

Maybe it was something you wrote either on your site or on SJHN. Because that 3-on-3 comment feels really familiar now that you say it. I have a big folder full of links to scouting reports and pick discussion that was my reference material for creating those briefs, but stupidly I didn't make a proper citation list for what elements came from where.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Gonna be an interesting case study with Chernyshov being one of the few guys going from the KHL to the CHL.
It'll definitely be interesting.

One thing that also happened with Silayev though is that many on these broad HFBoards (myself included) may have overstated the "playing in the KHL regularly" fact.

Silayev in the last ~3 months of the season was regularly the 6/7th D and getting <10min a night, and not playing in all phases of the game (e.g. no PP,PK). (EDIT: looking at his games on EP, he definitely played more than Chernyshov, bottom pairing mostly and at times middle pairing or higher).

Looking at EP, Chernyshov was playing similarly. He played 16 games in the KHL from Feb-Mar, and here were his top 5 TOI numbers:
12:35
11:30
11:13
10:21
8:35

Lowest 5:
1:13
2:01
3:11
3:38
4:22

So while it is obviously awesome that he was playing KHL minutes, he was getting 4th liner or 13th F minutes most of the time. Meanwhile in his MHL games he was 19-23min and well over 1PPG.

As I mentioned earlier, the Russian mafia on his main prospect page seem to think that leaving KHL for CHL is a kiss of death. I don't really see the clear reasoning why, and the Saginaw situation seems as good as any to see if he has what it takes to keep growing quickly. Short-ish season in Saginaw, half season in AHL and a Jan 2026 call-up to the show is the best/target outcome in my opinion.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I was told the Sharks were idiots for picking Svoboda over First Team All-Smurf Jayden Perron. What's he up to these days?

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I was told the Sharks were idiots for picking Svoboda over First Team All-Smurf Jayden Perron. What's he up to these days?
some people had a preference for Perron but nobody actually said anything like that. Svoboda was 100% a weird pick for his player profile. it's nice he's doing pretty well in a very limited sample size but it's summer hockey. you really don't have to be that combative about it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Svoboda might make the US U20 team as a 4th liner as a 19 year old and you gotta act like this.

FYI: Perron scored at the same pace in the NCAA that Svoboda did in the USHL. So I really wouldn’t start up the “Brandon Svoboda pick vindicated!!!” campaign just yet. And I’d still take half the guys picked in the 3rd round over him.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
You've heard the saying "don't start celebrating a meter from the finish line"?

It may not be clear, but this also implies that you shouldn't celebrate 5 kilometres from the finish line as well.

Reactions: themelkman and Cas

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

If you ever wonder why you pretty much can't have normal conversation with like 90% of the board because everyone reflexively can't stand interacting with you, here's exhibit A. Or probably more like exhibit R at this point.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Svoboda was a bust pick for me too. I wrote it off like Fischer too, so I admit I’m surprised to see him doing so well. Early as it is, it’s nice to see that his pick wasn’t completely off base. If they get any nhl games from him, it will be a nice win.

Maybe he’s a “sell high” guy right now? He’s so low on the forward depth chart but his showing might intrigue some other gms? Perhaps flipping him for a good D prospect or even in a package to get a solid nhl dman?

I dunno, wishful thinking. I just don’t know if Dickinson, phlcamp, lsw, Mukhamadullin, and Cagnoni is a good enough group to be the future on the blue line.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Svoboda was a bust pick for me too. I wrote it off like Fischer too, so I admit I’m surprised to see him doing so well. Early as it is, it’s nice to see that his pick wasn’t completely off base. If they get any nhl games from him, it will be a nice win.
Important to note that too many people do a reverse-Hodge at the draft as well (looking at you, @Juxtaposer
Maybe he’s a “sell high” guy right now? He’s so low on the forward depth chart but his showing might intrigue some other gms? Perhaps flipping him for a good D prospect or even in a package to get a solid nhl dman?
Right now, Svobda's value is probably a 3rd-round-pick at best. Players like him just aren't traded because it's very odd from a logistical point of view.

He probably is still a bust pick. I remember Rourke Chartier made team Canada and I was sure he would amount to an NHLer.
Chartier did make the NHL! And, ultimatley, injuries prevented him from being a 200-game NHLer

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You've heard the saying "don't start celebrating a meter from the finish line"?

It may not be clear, but this also implies that you shouldn't celebrate 5 kilometres from the finish line as well.
Who's celebrating? The most likely scenario with every pick outside the top 10 is that they will bust. It's still just common sense to prefer a 6'3 right handed center prospect over a 5'9 winger who needs to develop into Johnny Gaudreau to have any semblance of value. Except among internet scouts who think they know better than NHL teams.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021
Svoboda, like a number of Grier's later round picks in his first two drafts, is a "Grier"--a guy who has the physical attributes of an NHL player but has never played at a high level, so you don't know if he can process the game at a higher speed and be effective. If they step up once they play at a higher level, such as the NCAA, you've got an NHL player. If not, you don't have to even sign them. And these guys often have long runways because they play college. You can wait to see they put it together at age 23 before you have to sign them.

Let's see how Svoboda does at BU before we get excited. His USHL stats ain't great.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Svoboda, like a number of Grier's later round picks in his first two drafts, is a "Grier"--a guy who has the physical attributes of an NHL player but has never played at a high level, so you don't know if he can process the game at a higher speed and be effective. If they step up once they play at a higher level, such as the NCAA, you've got an NHL player. If not, you don't have to even sign them. And these guys often have long runways because they play college. You can wait to see they put it together at age 23 before you have to sign them.

Let's see how Svoboda does at BU before we get excited. His USHL stats ain't great.
Svoboda will never put up the stats. If that is what is used to judge him then people will be disappointed. Yes you want to see some points but he will make teams by being big with plus skating. That is probably the skills that lead to the highest floor.

You could say why draft a low ceiling player over the 5’9” lottery ticket? I say that the low ceiling player could be a cost controlled bottom six staple that helps win hockey games and lets salary to be spent on high end skill.

If you can always run a sub 27 year old 4th line and then ditch them for internal replacements once they hit UFA and get expensive it will lead to healthy cap and extend the window of contention.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who's celebrating? The most likely scenario with every pick outside the top 10 is that they will bust. It's still just common sense to prefer a 6'3 right handed center prospect over a 5'9 winger who needs to develop into Johnny Gaudreau to have any semblance of value. Except among internet scouts who think they know better than NHL teams.
Um, you are over a 3rd round pick having a decent showing at a U20 camp. Your constant need to throw everything you can into everyone's faces just for having different opinions than you is a bit much.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Why draft Stankoven, a 5'8" winger at 47 when Samuel Helenius a 6'6" center with great defensive habits is right there at 59!

Some of them are undrafted forwards Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Mats Zuccarello, or Jonathan Marchessault.

Or 2nd/third round stars like Marchand, Point, Debrincat or the aforementioned Stankoven.

Or 4th/5th/6th rounders like Atkinson, Gaudreau, Kaprizov, Mangiapane, Garland.

I would agree that drafting high skill small forwards in the first round generally can be risky. I think it's really stupid when internet scouts have guys like Perron and Stiga in the top half of the first rounds. Guys like Benson and Catton I get, because they have a real shot to be a star based on their production, but these non-consensus first round small forwards I'm hesitant on that high. Still makes it dumb later on when Catton and Benson become top 5 guys drafted outside the top 5, but that's not what we're arguing.

However, once you get into the second is when you can get tremendous value for these picks like Perron and Stiga, as well as small defensemen. It also goes without saying that a guy like Lane Hutson is the shining example of falling because of size, and rising because of play. He's a second rounder that's going to make the NHL this season after breaking NCAA records for scoring by a defenseman. Are we super stoked as a Sharks fanbase that we chose Cam Lund instead of Lane Hutson? How about Havelid? He's a couple inches taller and a bit heavier, clearly the better pick?

And you know who were championing guys like Hutson and Stankoven the most in recent years? Internet scouts.

It's not cut and dried, and it certainly isn't after whatever you think is happening between Perron and Svoboda. Even if it was, let's say Perron wasn't outpacing Svoboda and was already a bust, it's still a good pick. There were no more top goalies left at the spot, most of the real skill was gone by the second.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Why draft Stankoven, a 5'8" winger at 47 when Samuel Helenius a 6'6" center with great defensive habits is right there at 59!

Some of them are undrafted forwards Tyler Johnson, Yanni Gourde, Mats Zuccarello, or Jonathan Marchessault.

Or 2nd/third round stars like Marchand, Point, Debrincat or the aforementioned Stankoven.

I would agree that drafting high skill small forwards in the first round generally can be risky. I think it's really stupid when internet scouts have guys like Perron and Stiga in the top half of the first rounds. Guys like Benson and Catton I get, because they have a real shot to be a star based on their production, but these non-consensus first round small forwards I'm hesitant on that high. Still makes it dumb later on when Catton and Benson become top 5 guys drafted outside the top 5, but that's not what we're arguing.

However, once you get into the second is when you can get tremendous value for these picks like Perron and Stiga, as well as small defensemen. It also goes without saying that a guy like Lane Hutson is the shining example of falling because of size, and rising because of play. He's a second rounder that's going to make the NHL this season after breaking NCAA records for scoring by a defenseman. Are we super stoked as a Sharks fanbase that we chose Cam Lund instead of Lane Hutson? How about Havelid? He's a couple inches taller and a bit heavier, clearly the better pick?

And you know who were championing guys like Hutson and Stankoven the most in recent years? Internet scouts.

It's not cut and dried, and it certainly isn't after whatever you think is happening between Perron and Svoboda. Even if it was, let's say Perron wasn't outpacing Svoboda and was already a bust, it's still a good pick. There were no more top goalies left at the spot, most of the real skill was gone by the second.
So I'm not allowed to say anything remotely positive about Brandon Svoboda but somehow Lane Hutson is already a successful pick despite having proven nothing at the pro level. I look forward to the first time he goes into the corners against a Tkachuk brother.

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

I'd love to have some numbers behind the arguments, which of course would take work that most of us don't have time for, but my hypothesis is that in the outer rounds, all players have a very small chance to make it as an NHL regular, but small players are no more likely, probably less likely to have a shot. Therefore the "value" argument is only relevant in the draft year itself -- someone has great numbers in a lower league, so they "should" go higher, but they don't, so it feels like great value.

I suspect that confirmation bias would show that small players who make it are almost always "great value" when they're drafted, because they're drafted later than their junior/lower league numbers/profile due to size bias, but if you actually took all the undersized players, versus just ones that make it, you wouldn't see a probability any higher than a bigger player, and possibly lower.

So if all you were doing was using pure statistics kinds of approaches in drafting, you may always favor the bigger player even if smaller players who hit are typically "good value."

In simpler terms, for every Stankoven (or the other players you mentioned) there are 20 who we aren't talking about, but maybe for every big guy who also isn't expected to make it but does (wildly optimistically, Svoboda), there are only 17 others who we aren't talking about.

I'm not stumping for Svoboda, or any of our prospects by the way... all of them could bust, any of them including Macklin could be a disappointment in 5 years. Definitely not time to declare victory on anything. But that also extends to Lane Hutson and Benson.

Even using our own best draft pick ever -- Doug Wilson himself said "if we were so smart, why'd we wait until the 7th to pick Pavelski." He would have been a steal in the late first/2nd 32 teams passed on him 150 more times. Were they wrong? Probably not, because who the hell would have predicted him? Outliers existing and being great value shouldn't define a strategy imho, and overvaluing "draft value" and therefore picking small players is banking on a strategy that may be riskier probabilistically and depends on "full hits" rather than partial hits. That is my theory, anyway, but it's unproven.

EDIT: by the way, it's clear the Sharks today are not using such a simple heuristic, because for example we have LSW picked right before Pulkkinen. I would have gone Pulkkinen, not the least for his size. Just one example we can follow in the coming years of picking a player who was probably higher "value" at that draft spot over one that was bigger.

Last edited:

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
So I'm not allowed to say anything remotely positive about Brandon Svoboda but somehow Lane Hutson is already a successful pick despite having proven nothing at the pro level. I look forward to the first time he goes into the corners against a Tkachuk brother.
You're allowed to say positive stuff about Svoboda. The incessant appeals to authority that you punctuate nearly every post with are tiresome and only serve to get under the skin of other posters. Your house is also glass, put the f***ing rocks down already.

• Love

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I'd love to have some numbers behind the arguments, which of course would take work that most of us don't have time for, but my hypothesis is that in the outer rounds, all players have a very small chance to make it as an NHL regular, but small players are no more likely, probably less likely to have a shot. Therefore the "value" argument is only relevant in the draft year itself -- someone has great numbers in a lower league, so they "should" go higher, but they don't, so it feels like great value.

I suspect that confirmation bias would show that small players who make it are almost always "great value" when they're drafted, because they're drafted later than their junior/lower league numbers/profile due to size bias, but if you actually took all the undersized players, versus just ones that make it, you wouldn't see a probability any higher than a bigger player, and possibly lower.

So if all you were doing was using pure statistics kinds of approaches in drafting, you may always favor the bigger player even if smaller players who hit are typically "good value."

In simpler terms, for every Stankoven (or the other players you mentioned) there are 20 who we aren't talking about, but maybe for every big guy who also isn't expected to make it but does (wildly optimistically, Svoboda), there are only 17 others who we aren't talking about.

I'm not stumping for Svoboda, or any of our prospects by the way... all of them could bust, any of them including Macklin could be a disappointment in 5 years. Definitely not time to declare victory on anything. But that also extends to Lane Hutson and Benson.

Even using our own best draft pick ever -- Doug Wilson himself said "if we were so smart, why'd we wait until the 7th to pick Pavelski." He would have been a steal in the late first/2nd 32 teams passed on him 150 more times. Were they wrong? Probably not, because who the hell would have predicted him? Outliers existing and being great value shouldn't define a strategy imho, and overvaluing "draft value" and therefore picking small players is banking on a strategy that may be riskier probabilistically and depends on "full hits" rather than partial hits. That is my theory, anyway, but it's unproven.
That's throwing it all in the wash. The odds are dramatically in favor of the scoring small forward than the non-scoring big forward for making the NHL. People have already done that analysis from past drafts. Size is one of the factors that leads to a prospect falling relative to their production, and it bites the GMs who don't take them over and over again. Again, don't take them too high, but your team is built from stars from your first round primarily. You might as well swing with your other rounds, especially a third to try and find good players rather than fourth liners.
You're allowed to say whatever you want. Very clearly. Watch a game of Svoboda and say what you like about him. I've done that. I did that last week in fact. I like the prospect for what he brings and I wrote that since he was drafted. I think throwing shade at internet scouts because of a player you've never watched or have any idea about because you like to stir the pot is a little silly. But we're on year idk 4 of this so who cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad