Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
All the Orr comments do is open a window into his own motivations. Which given everything we know about him, tracks.
It probably does open a window into his motivations, yeah. Pretty much everything we say reveals something about ourselves. I'm doing it right now. You just did it, too. But that's not "all" it does. Orr had a valid point about motivation and incentives - and he even qualified it by making clear it wouldn't be true of all people.

If you're right about Orr, who is better qualified to speak about how some people are incentivized by money than someone who is incentivized by money?

Reactions: Reality Czech

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Depends if you're asking before or after people watched him play in the playoffs vs Dallas.
Before that showing, I think you're spot on... everyone expected an adjustment period.
After? Quite a few were already labeling Brock Faber as a Certified Stud.

It became a point of contention on HFWild on what to expect from him... many already anointing him a top 2-3 D-man on the team, others vehemently disagreeing. It wasn't until we got into the season and Faber proved his Certified Stud status that the very divisive subject was divisive no more.
yeah i meant at the time of the trade :)
as the sample size grew, confidence in his ascension grew.

Reactions: TaLoN

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He is McAvoy-esque. It’s a smart deal for both sides. Wild paying more now to have a great deal when they are back to being good again vs a bridge like the Bruins did with McAvoy because they were already in a window.

Reactions: Minnesota

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
That KHL time wasn't enough to "prove" anything for quite a few people. Wild fans of course were optimistic before he set foot on the ice and even moreso after his first season. Faber? We were certain he'd be an NHL defenseman but no one expected (im sure some hoped) him to be a top pairing defenseman let alone prove it in his first season. The fact that he did it with a mix of D and O convinces me his value relative this contract is sustainable; maybe he takes a step back offensively if other D are taking PP time or whatever but that should be made up for by getting more proficient at D through experience. Or vice versa, taking more risks at D but scoring more offensively. or Just failing that and staying balanced. Not worried.
also you had 60 games in the nhl to evaluate him. couple that with 6 years that he played against adults in the khl it becomes obvious that kaprizov was much more proven than faber. when kaprizov signed the deal it was obvious he was bent over, cant say the same about faber's deal.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
also you had 60 games in the nhl to evaluate him. couple that with 6 years that he played against adults in the khl it becomes obvious that kaprizov was much more proven than faber. when kaprizov signed the deal it was obvious he was bent over, cant say the same about faber's deal.
Wild fans (largely) counted on Kaprizov to be a a huge money player before he even got here but we got criticized for being happy about the contract when he signed it--not because it was great for us but because people thought he hadn't played enough NHL minutes to warrant it even though, as you said, he was a much safer bet. It was not obvious to most people that he was "bent over". IIRC he wanted 2-3 years (smart) and we wanted max term (smart). What happened was compromise. We had a couple years at a discount rate but he will still be young enough at the end to extend or sign elsewhere for a max term deal at inflated cap salary.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Faber is probably their future captain. It might not look like a 'steal' until year 4 or 5 but it will look like a good deal sooner than later.

His level of play will definitely be worth it. Probably one of the safest young D to bet on in the whole league. I struggle to find a modern day comparable but maybe someone like Ryan Suter. Never wowed with points but a solid contributor that will have a long career and was a top D in his prime.

Reactions: ctmagic

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Faber is probably their future captain. It might not look like a 'steal' until year 4 or 5 but it will look like a good deal sooner than later.

His level of play will definitely be worth it. Probably one of the safest young D to bet on in the whole league. I struggle to find a modern day comparable but maybe someone like Ryan Suter. Never wowed with points but a solid contributor that will have a long career and was a top D in his prime.
Why you gotta do Wild fans like that?

von Rantala

Jun 30, 2024
Finland
fearless-assassins.com
You think he's over paid, most every Minnesota fans who've been watching him since before he was even a Minnesota prospect (played locally for the Minnesota Gophers here at the U) love this deal and don't see overpayment at all, and can see this deal being a bargain for years.

Guerin had all the lavarage on his hands. Faber loves to play his hometown, he always talk how its/was his dream to play in Wild. Even if he get 60-70 points next season, they wouldnt have to pay a lot more than 8,5M or at least shouldnt. Making him earn more than your Captain, your best d-man, just after on season isnt great team/salary management. He should have got his hometown player cheaper. Now Wild players use Faber contract as a point of comparison in contract negotations. So good luck on keeping Buium, Öhgren and Wallsted when they will ask 8,5+ 😂

Personally i think, that you cant blame players on taking money, but GM's job is to get players as cheap as possible. I actually like Faber too and follow Wild, he is probably next Wild Captain. I am just tired Guerin always giving his players contract one season prior contract ending, he tie his own hands by doing that. Wild have bad contracts because that, like Middleton and Foligno.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Guerin had all the lavarage on his hands. Faber loves to play his hometown, he always talk how its/was his dream to play in Wild. Even if he get 60-70 points next season, they wouldnt have to pay a lot more than 8,5M or at least shouldnt. Making him earn more than your Captain, your best d-man, just after on season isnt great team/salary management. He should have got his hometown player cheaper. Now Wild players use Faber contract as a point of comparison in contract negotations. So good luck on keeping Buium, Öhgren and Wallsted when they will ask 8,5+ 😂

Personally i think, that you cant blame players on taking money, but GM's job is to get players as cheap as possible. I actually like Faber too and follow Wild, he is probably next Wild Captain. I am just tired Guerin always giving his players contract one season prior contract ending, he tie his own hands by doing that. Wild have bad contracts because that, like Middleton and Foligno.
Middleton and Foligno are UFA contracts and not full term. Signing UFAs early is a cost saving move when the cap is jumping up and the player only has one team negotiating with him vs 32. Just like all UFA contracts, they are gambles that are much closer to market value than an ELC, but established players bring stability to the roster and all of these guys are filling roles that we do not have in our current prospect pipeline. You can pay them cash now for a guy that you know and like, or trade for someone similar at the cost of cash and trade assets with even more risk if the player doesn’t fit.

Wallstedt is a goalie and if he gets paid, it won’t be until at least 3 seasons from now, Ohgren is not remotely in the caliber of player that Faber is to get that money. Buium won’t be eligible for a significant raise until Spurgeon is off the books and likely Brodin too. The likelihood of any of these guys having the same or greater impact as Faber is slim to none.

The Wild can also point to Boldy and JEE and tell their young players that you have to outwork and outplay those guys if you want the bag. Good luck and if they do, like Faber did, then you either pay them happily or trade them at very high value. So far Guerin and his scouting team have shown pretty well in trades and talent evaluation and everyone they have wanted to lock up, has been locked up.

And again, Guerin did not have all the leverage here, Faber already did the team a favor on his ELC or we would have $2MM less cap space this season and likely next season too. Spurgeon also hasn’t been the Wild’s best defenseman ever, he’s always been second fiddle to Suter and then Brodin.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

If Buium is as good as Faber, he'll get it.

If Wallstedt is in the Sorokin/Shesterkin discussion, he'll get it. Or he won't if they don't want to pay a goalie that much.

I'm not too worried about Ohgren.

How much cheaper are you thinking?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
1722957372030.png

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
DeepSouth of PNW

The way this kid plays defense, & if he puts up 60-70 pts on top of that. You're looking at Norris finalist(winner?). With rising cap you probably would be looking at an eight digit/max term contract.
You could make a few arguments about mismanagement or inefficient contracts on this team made by Billy G. Brock Faber's isn't one of them.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
I like Faber a lot but count me among the ones who don't really see the upside for Minnesota to do this so early.

8.5 million is already in the upper echelon for Dmen the way the market is currently set.

I understand that Makar signed his deal a few years ago and the cap is going up, but the market hasn't recalibrated so significantly that a guy is going to make 1-2 million more than Makar on the back of a season being good defensively and adding 55 points.

What are the Wild afraid of happening next season that would make this deal such a good gamble? Prime Larry Robinson defensively and 80 points?

With a guy like Jack Hughes, he had shown the skill level and had the draft pedigree where I can imagine being scared he's going to explode for 90-100 points on a bridge deal and tack 3-4 million onto his ask.

Don't really see what Faber will do next year to present a similar risk and be worth much more than 8.5

Reactions: Regal

von Rantala

Jun 30, 2024
Finland
fearless-assassins.com
Middleton and Foligno are UFA contracts and not full term. Signing UFAs early is a cost saving move when the cap is jumping up and the player only has one team negotiating with him vs 32. Just like all UFA contracts, they are gambles that are much closer to market value than an ELC, but established players bring stability to the roster and all of these guys are filling roles that we do not have in our current prospect pipeline. You can pay them cash now for a guy that you know and like, or trade for someone similar at the cost of cash and trade assets with even more risk if the player doesn’t fit.

Wallstedt is a goalie and if he gets paid, it won’t be until at least 3 seasons from now, Ohgren is not remotely in the caliber of player that Faber is to get that money. Buium won’t be eligible for a significant raise until Spurgeon is off the books and likely Brodin too. The likelihood of any of these guys having the same or greater impact as Faber is slim to none.

The Wild can also point to Boldy and JEE and tell their young players that you have to outwork and outplay those guys if you want the bag. Good luck and if they do, like Faber did, then you either pay them happily or trade them at very high value. So far Guerin and his scouting team have shown pretty well in trades and talent evaluation and everyone they have wanted to lock up, has been locked up.

And again, Guerin did not have all the leverage here, Faber already did the team a favor on his ELC or we would have $2MM less cap space this season and likely next season too. Spurgeon also hasn’t been the Wild’s best defenseman ever, he’s always been second fiddle to Suter and then Brodin.

Yes i understand your points, but Wild havent won any playoff serie in last 9 seasons? and was out of the playoffs last season and basicly have to go with same roster next season too. I know you cant build Stanley winner from UFA markets (maybe NSH prove that its possible=). Signing players too early can tie your hands. Playears has only one team to negotiating after regular season or playoffs too. July 1 they can start negotiating with other teams too.

JEE contract was signed after old expired and its one of the best contracts of the NHL. Boldy contract was signed middle of season once they saw where his progress is going. Its also solid contract and didnt pay any extra to wait just like with JEE.

Yep cap is raising and some players contract is expiring, if they would not be re-signed year early xD When cap is raising, will players also ask more. Also agree that Spurgeon isnt Wild best d-man, but he is Captain and was highes pay d-man. So in that sentence he should be seen as best d-man. I am also big fan of Brodin :)

Maybe i am old type of hockey fan, because i would have waited till middle of next season before offering contract. I know that its new trend is to offer young players (players who play under rookie contract) big moneys. For me biggest concern is that he just played one season. Its too small sample size for me to give big contract yet. I just see this contract unnecasery risk. As i say, like Faber too.

Dose anyone know if this is biggest NHL contract given after one full pro-season? Kaprizov did play pro-level in KHL.

The way this kid plays defense, & if he puts up 60-70 pts on top of that. You're looking at Norris finalist(winner?). With rising cap you probably would be looking at an eight digit/max term contract.

Yes, i would love that happening, but current NHL you would have to get 90-100 points to win Norris. Its given to best offensive d-man now days. Not saying guys who have won it, havent earn it. They have earned those Norris victories. I just would love defenders to have own trophy for best two-way defender.

I just hope, Wild would use cap more wisely so they could bring Cup to Minnesota. Guerin have third coach behind bench (I know Bruce wasnt his sign), so lets see how this season go, but central just look crazy good.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Maybe i am old type of hockey fan, because i would have waited till middle of next season before offering contract. I know that its new trend is to offer young players (players who play under rookie contract) big moneys. For me biggest concern is that he just played one season. Its too small sample size for me to give big contract yet. I just see this contract unnecasery risk. As i say, like Faber too.
That's a different issue than if this contract is too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad