Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I love draft picks and prospects but having too many draft picks and prospects can be a problem. Montreal has too many picks and prospects. There isn't enough room for all of them. Players are impatient. The Habs have established players on their roster. Players lose their waiver eligibility after 3 years pro. I like keeping the first round picks and using 2nd/3rd round picks to fill holes on the team like the Avs did with Toews and Burakovsky. There are so many 2nd and 3rd round picks which barely sniff the NHL.

It's only 5 or 6 years. Trouba forced his way to NY after 6 years.
Yeah, but that's b'c they are too stupid/arrogant to strategically bundle that abundance into fewer assets of higher quality. They are apparently trying to dictate to the market and it is biting them in the ass.

The modus operandi is, while exceptions to every rule, go with acquiring quality youth or picks when possible. Minimal cap impact, max flexibility. If nec, bundle more current assets for higher quality future ones, kicking the can down the road if nec.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
And given that, I’ll place a high wager that if he’s having a decent year, a certain segment of our fan base will be demanding more PP time for him so he’s not ruined. Even if our PP is top 5 in the league.
We need two functioning power plays. Our PP1 has failed us the last two post seasons. It’s disappeared and cost us heavily. Our PP being top 5 in the league hasn’t prevented that. Regular season if it disappears for 5 games it’s no biggie. It will eventually come back. If that happens in post season it can cost a series and thus a shot at the Cup. There is no eventually. And that’s been happening in post season. We shouldn’t put all of our eggs in one basket for EITHER aspect of special teams. We have the personnel to spread it around and that way we have alternatives if any configuration goes cold in the playoffs.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We need two functioning power plays. Our PP1 has failed us the last two post seasons. It’s disappeared and cost us heavily. Our PP being top 5 in the league hasn’t prevented that. Regular season if it disappears for 5 games it’s no biggie. It will eventually come back. If that happens in post season it can cost a series and thus a shot at the Cup. There is no eventually. And that’s been happening in post season. We shouldn’t put all of our eggs in one basket for EITHER aspect of special teams. We have the personnel to spread it around and that way we have alternatives if any configuration goes cold in the playoffs.
Eh. Power plays are a lot like goaltenders. They don’t always show up exactly when you’d like them to, but all else equal you should like your odds a lot better with a good one than a bad one, because a lot of what youre looking at with the percentages is how often you’re getting a good performance vs how often you’re not

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
This prospect pool is better than most people think. Some will make the team and some will be used to replenish those 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders that people are crying Drury has traded. 4 of the top 6 guys are likely here for 3+ years IMO. Mika, Kreider, Trocheck, Laf all not going anywhere. Panarin may be gone in 2 years. Then they have 11.6 million more to work with and Perreault ready for the big club. I'm really not worried about this team remaining very competitive moving forward.
I agree that we have a long window.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What is your definition of functioning? Because if we split it more evenly, we are probably not a top 5 powerplay team, even if both powerplay units chip in time to time. You're not going to get 2 powerplay units that look top 5. The first unit is designed to give the team the best chance at scoring on the powerplay. It would be nice to have 2 powerplay units looking good, but powerplay 1 should still be given more minutes and more chances at scoring. You can argue that Zibanejad is flubbing the powerplay and maybe moving him off the 1st unit to try something else would help, but in the end, the first unit is still the main powerplay. If the unit is generating chances but not scoring, leave them on the ice, even if it's for 75% of the powerplay. If the unit can't make a zone entry, get them off.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Your second PP will never be as strong so taking time from your first PP makes no sense. Like a baseball hitter who slumps, you need to keep running them out there until they break out if they already have a history of being near top of the league.

So getting back to the original point. He’s not going to get much PP time. How long until the bitching begins?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Eh. Power plays are a lot like goaltenders. They don’t always show up exactly when you’d like them to, but all else equal you should like your odds a lot better with a good one than a bad one, because a lot of what youre looking at with the percentages is how often you’re getting a good performance vs how often you’re not
That doesn’t contradict what I said. I’m not arguing we shouldn’t have a good PP or to “break up” the PP… I’m arguing we should have an actual functioning backup in case the first shits the bed. That only happens by playing a second unit regularly enough to be a go to if we need it. We have the personnel to do this. Do we go into post season with one functioning goalie? No we have a backup. Preferably more than one.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Why is that "likely?" Again... hopes and prayers.

One would hope. But he often misses a significant amount of regular season games. His injury last season wasn't a fluke. It's a pattern of injuries.

Othmann and Berard without PP time and being relied on as two way players? eh... We'll see. This is in no way factual. You're hoping for this to be the case. I think Wennberg fit that role better than anyone you mentioned. So I see that as a downgrade.

Hope it changes.

Lavi played him with heavy minutes last year... why does everyone think that will suddenly change? Because of some trade rumors in the offseason? Lindgren will be with Fox, and Trouba will play first pair (5v5) minutes. With Fox getting all the PP time. You hope that changes... but I don't see it changing unless there are more roster moves.

may/hope
1) It's likely because he missed 2 months and is a better player than he showed. The year before he had 40 points with no PP time. So yes it's likely he has a better year.
2) He missed 70 games but was able to play in some playoff games. Yes, he has missed games because of injury but him coming back was a good sign and even if he plays 55-60 games which is his norm it makes then a much better team.
3)Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Rempe, Carrick, is a far better mix of players that add depth than the corpses of Bonino. Pitlick, and Wheeler who all played over 40 games last year AINEC. Wennberg was decent at some things but did nothing to provide offense. No big loss. Seattle can have him for 5 million. With the addition of Smith the forward group is deeper and better.
4) Lavy did move Trouba down to 3rd pairing minutes later in the season and early in the playoffs. I think we see more of him as a third pairing guy if he is still with the team when the season starts. After all that has happened I just don't see how he could be used as a top 4 guy. It makes no sense. We will see in a few months.

Reactions: Atax and bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
What is your definition of functioning? Because if we split it more evenly, we are probably not a top 5 powerplay team, even if both powerplay units chip in time to time. You're not going to get 2 powerplay units that look top 5. The first unit is designed to give the team the best chance at scoring on the powerplay. It would be nice to have 2 powerplay units looking good, but powerplay 1 should still be given more minutes and more chances at scoring. You can argue that Zibanejad is flubbing the powerplay and maybe moving him off the 1st unit to try something else would help, but in the end, the first unit is still the main powerplay. If the unit is generating chances but not scoring, leave them on the ice, even if it's for 75% of the powerplay. If the unit can't make a zone entry, get them off.
My definition of a functioning powerplay is one that doesn’t go 0 or 1 for 10-12 chances over 4 games in the playoffs…
As I tried to make clear already I'm not saying our powerplay hurts us regular season, but a powerplay that goes at 35% for one post season series then 13% (and I may be being generous there) the next f***s us in the playoffs even though it’s 24% overall… what’s the point? It is exactly akin to Zibs feasting on Wash diminishing during round two and disappearing against FL. He scored a ppg, but we lost (in part) because he couldn’t do jackshit in the semis.
Maybe a second unit can’t go 25%, but if it can go 18-20 when the 1st inevitably, it seems, goes ice cold we are still ahead of the game. It requires regular season investment though, even if it costs s a little regular season ground.
Again, I’m not saying to scrap the PP1, just have a functional backup. And Fox can play on both as far as I’m concerned. Hahaha.

Your second PP will never be as strong so taking time from your first PP makes no sense. Like a baseball hitter who slumps, you need to keep running them out there until they break out if they already have a history of being near top of the league.

So getting back to the original point. He’s not going to get much PP time. How long until the bitching begins?
See my above response

Last edited:

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Goodrow should be mad at his agent for negotiating the contract without a NMC. Vince was saying that the players will remember the Goodrow move and they won't give the Rangers a break on their next contract. Which players have given the Rangers a break on their contracts?

I think Miller is represented by the same agent as Goodrow. Ian Pulver. Staple was saying Pulver will play hard ball with the Rangers over Miller. The current contract isn't a team friendly contract so when did Pulver do the Rangers a favor? The whole situation is tiresome. Pulver used to work for the NHLPA. He does not give anyone a break. Pulver should have insisted on NMC.

Miller needs to be better. He did not take the next step last season. He needs to play better if he wants that big contract.
Miller is so stupid we might need one single assistant just focusing on training with him . So much raw skill and also so much panic to his game . If he could ever figure it out...watch out ! He might not though.....

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think we can go through camp and if we are that desperate, Ruhdwedel, 1 year league minimum will be an option. I'm curious to see if Scanlin or Mancini will be able to step up as a 7D

Jesus, Chris! I was joking!

Reactions: TGWL

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
So you’re the Rangers social media dude
1720812551935.png

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
They all help, with the exception of a cheap goalie which I am ambivalent about.

But none of them are “necessary” or “sufficient” conditions. You can win with none. You can lose with all three.
You need guys that can up their game and take one for the team to execute plays . In the playoffs the guys that throw away their pacifiers usually push their teams further . It is all about extra effort.....look at Rodriguez and how he played .

Last edited:

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019

Jesus, Chris! I was joking!
Insider confirmeddd, what else do you foresee in your crystal ball

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
My trade proposal that
most likely not to happen:
To SJS: Gabriel Perreault
To NYR: Sam Dickinson, 2025 2nd round and 2026 3rd round pick
That definitely wouldn't happen. They have a ton of forward prospects and very little on the defensive side.

Even if they needed a forward, they just selected Dickinson 11th overall. They aren't trading him for a player picked 23 overall the year before AND adding 2nd and 3rd round picks. Gabe upped his stock, but not by that much.

Reactions: kinghock

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I also see the uncomfortable conversation that a lot of people here have not brought up.

Chytil is not a viable option to be 3C, or really anything else on the roster anymore. We’re just going to hold our heads down and pray that he magically recovers from the concussion issue? If this guy gets one more he’s cooked. Even if he doesn’t, he might be cooked. I think that’s a clear spot where we should upgrade. But that’s a conversation people seem to ignore.

I don’t see anything in the recent past and especially post concussions that would point to Chytil having a “breakout” or even being a regular in the lineup. I’m not really sure where the optimism is coming from.

Zibanejad did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad