Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So one in about every 8 players works? Pull them apart. Better odds elsewhere.

Kakko worked with the kid line, did not work with the country club line.

That wasn't the point. The point was they're putting circles into square holes.

Honestly, if I'm Laviolette I reunite Smith with Trocheck.

Kreider - Zibanejad - Lafreniere
Panarin - Trocheck - Smith
Othmann/Berard - Chytil - Kakko
Cuylle - Carrick - Rempe/Edstrom

If this is our roster as it stands on opening night.

(Edit) and Kakko didn't work ANYWHERE last season.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

Cuylee - Carrick - Rempe/Edstrom

I like it

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Cuylle - Carrick - Rempe/Edstrom

(Edit) and Kakko didn't work ANYWHERE last season.

Exactly, so putting anyone with Kreider/Mika is not going to work, so we are we forcing pieces that don't fit? Putting Laf there will do nothing but hinder his offensive game. That's a big no from me. I wouldnt be touching our 1st line at all(your 2nd line), they were the best line on the team by far last season.

NJRangers35

Apr 11, 2011
where is this all coming from on kreider? reading that he is difficult to play with and will cry and whine if removed from playing with mika? when did he become this type of player and where did it come from? this is the first im hearing of it.

would be absolutely shocking if this is the case when he came up with teammates like ryan callahan, ryan mcdonagh, dan girardi, marc staal, derek stepan, mats zuccarello, rick nash, carl hagelin, dominic moore, henrik lundqivst, etc. those teams were known for their team first and hard work mentality.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Vatrano didn't really work with Krieder and Zibanejad either.

He went on a shooting bender and people just kind of assumed that meant they were good together. The reality is that they actually got their asses handed to them once they started playing good teams in the playoffs. I guess that was true for most of the team as well, but especially that one.

I don't think you can realistically check every box for what K-Z would need but if you're hell bent on keeping them together, at least try to check 2 boxes that exist of the 4 and maybe stop using them as your matchup line? I don't think Trocheck's line is really a matchup line either, but they can offense enough at ES to push back.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The negativity is astounding. Especially for a Team that has been to the ECF twice in the last 3 years having been 2 wins away from the SCF twice. You would think this team has been the Buffalo Sabres. I get there are frustrations and not every move, or lack of move, has been agreed with, but the dramatic doomsday rhetoric spun around here is exhausting. I wonder why some of you even bother watching and again cant imagine how you would function if this were the Buffalo Sabres or a number of other disappointing teams that other fans have to actually suffer following.

Even after the team blew up after the letter I found reason for optimism even though I knew it was going to take a while to get back into the playoffs and that there were going to be missteps and setbacks along the way to that goal. The Rangers got back to being a playoff team in pretty quick time. We have a load of young talented players and a lot of very good prospects. The team dynamic is completely changed for the better even from 2014 when we made it to the SC finals. Winning a Cup ain't easy....there aren't any guarantees but we have a very good team right now that has a shot but also there are areas we need to focus on getting better.....but we're not an old team so we have time.

Some of the doom and gloom here I don't know. It makes me laugh sometimes. If someone is getting down that much it tells me he/she should give themselves a break and do something else for a while and maybe come back when their head is in a better place......hockey isn't the only thing that matters. Either that or they should schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Whats the definition of insanity? How many RWers do you need to march to their death to realize that it's the pairing that needs to change. They can kill penalties together, but for the love of god, can we please never see them on a line together again? It is common sense at this point.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Whats the definition of insanity? How many RWers do you need to march to their death to realize that it's the pairing that needs to change. They can kill penalties together, but for the love of god, can we please never see them on a line together again? It is common sense at this point.

The definition of insanity is breaking up a combination that has had a GF% well over 50% for six consecutive years because of not liking how they look.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne

From the dictionary:

dated
: a severely disordered state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder
law : unsoundness of mind or lack of the ability to understand that prevents someone from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or that releases someone from criminal or civil responsibility

a
: extreme folly or unreasonableness
the insanity of violence
His comments were pure insanity.

b
: something utterly foolish or unreasonable
the insanities of modern life

There's also a legal definition but probably isn't too relevant to this

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The definition of insanity is breaking up a combination that has had a GF% well over 50% for six consecutive years because of not liking how they look.
So what’s everyone complaining about? I’d there just nothing to see here?
IMG_8156.jpeg

Also, what am I missing here? These are the 5v5 stats over the last three playoffs.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Lafreniere Zibanejad Smith
Panarin Chytil Cuylle
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Edstrom Carrick Vesey/Rempe

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
Players upset about Goodrow. Great. Do these players know about the cap? Its funny they want max dollars and term but no one of their buddies should be traded. Drury did the right move with Goody. I liked the player but this is business. Concerning players don't know that.

We can't trade Lindy because Fox would be upset. We can't break up Mika-Kreids bromance. Team upset about Trouba.

This all sounds just great.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
How it's gonna play out... same as it always does.
Kakko if he's here will play with zib and Kreider, staff will say they are gonna do what's best for Kakko. Kreider and Zibanejad will look bad to start the year so instead of splitting them up they blame it on Kakko and put smith in his place. Nothing changes, but they're happy because they put the kids in his place and made an example, as well, as soon as things start to slide in playoffs they'll bench Kakko, because it's obvious it's the 3rd line guys fault, for a half hurt player for a game.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Players upset about Goodrow. Great. Do these players know about the cap? Its funny they want max dollars and term but no one of their buddies should be traded. Drury did the right move with Goody. I liked the player but this is business. Concerning players don't know that.
I don't blame the players for having an issue with it. What the Rangers did was within the rules of the CBA, but obviously not with the spirit of the contract. Players felt that Goodrow got screwed, which he did.

Not going to feel that sorry for Goodrow though. It's not like they are sending him to a gulag. He gets to play hockey in the Bay Area, making millions of dollars doing it. Drury did the right thing for the club, and for a club like New York Rangers, it really shouldn't have that big of a ramification coming out of it. If it was Columbus doing this stuff with Goodrow and Trouba, that might make them unattractive for free agents in the future. Should not be the case with NYR.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think the 4th line is going to be Rempe Carrick and Edstrom at times. Which would be a horror show for opposing Dmen retrieving the puck in their end.
NYR are going to have some options.

Hahahaha. Who knows? He's at that age where large improvements can start happening just from him growing into his body and becoming less awkward. On top of that, if he works on his game that way he seems to be committed to, you never know.
The kid WILL be an NHL regular, if not this year then next, if not here, then somewhere else. The NYR seem to have plans for him, so I will not be surprised if he DOES make the team out of camp or if he ends up playing close to 70 games.
He won't/should not have to fight very often...just a few well placed headlocks/squeezes will deter the average asshole out there . Once he fills out we will have a real force on the roster and if he plays 60 games it will be a win for the club . What he will need to be wary of is suspensions by the league and foolish stuff and of course the late hits . He will be watched because of his size without a doubt so we might see fewer big hits from him but even simple hits will hurt if they happen often enough . He hopefully can carve out a 6-10 yr career in the NHL if he hones his overall skills.

Reactions: bhamill

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Calgary needs to bottom out, probably means they would wanna trade weeghar since he’s good. Could definitely see something there
Flames want to align themselves for a shot at # 1 OA IN 2026 DRAFT for Gavin McKenna the consensus next one ! He looks like the real deal at this stage .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Hearing these guys are upset about Goodrow and Trouba is music to my ears. They want a pat on the head and to be told everything is OK because they went to the ECF and lost again? I mean come on. I just hope Laviolette and Drury have the sack to go further.

The personal stats, the regular season success, Prez Trophy. That stuff is all well and good and its fun during the regular season, but the Rangers have turned into the Yankees. Everyone knows they are a good team, will be in the playoffs yada yada. But no one believes this group can win because of how they crumble in the playoffs against mentally tougher teams. And all this in the room stuff is more of a sign of mental weakness. Kreider and Mika can't be apart? Ok then waive your no trade clauses and we can send you to some team where you can coast by playing paddy cake with each other. It's all so tiresome.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The Ryane Clowe saga was a doozy.

—Sather trades a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th (wonder where Drury gets his habit of throwing away draft picks like candy) for him when he had zero goals on the season
—He scores two goals against Pitt in the game where Brass and John Moore also scored after getting traded here
—He plays 12 games here then gets concussed and misses the rest of the season + playoffs
—After losing to Boston, Torts gives the presser where he says it was hard for the team to compete against them when we were missing our Lucic (Clowe) and our Chara (Staal) (lol…)
—Dagoon allegedly runs into Sather at the draft and asks about Clowe to which Sather laughs and calls him damaged goods
—He signs a 5 year contract with NJ, plays 56 games over two seasons, and is forced to retire due to concussion issue ,
There was also the drug probe back in NFLD at the time with family members . 3-year sentence in Operation Battalion cocaine probe

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
  1. I don't blame the players for having an issue with it. What the Rangers did was within the rules of the CBA, but obviously not with the spirit of the contract. Players felt that Goodrow got screwed, which he did.

Not going to feel that sorry for Goodrow though. It's not like they are sending him to a gulag. He gets to play hockey in the Bay Area, making millions of dollars doing it. Drury did the right thing for the club, and for a club like New York Rangers, it really shouldn't have that big of a ramification coming out of it. If it was Columbus doing this stuff with Goodrow and Trouba, that might make them unattractive for free agents in the future. Should not be the case with NYR.
    How was it not in the spirit of the contract? His contract said he could not be traded to certain teams that he chose. Period. He knows the difference between a NMC and a M-NTC. His agent knows and the team knows. This was perfectly within the team’s rights and screwed no one. He just didn’t like it and it’s a ding to his pride that NYR felt hey were better off without him, even with getting zero in return. Sure I wouldn’t like the feeling that moving me was addition by subtraction but he should look in the mirror, because he HAD to know his play wasn’t worth 3.6 mil a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad