Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
A bit off topic; but with regards to Shesterkin's pending UFA next summer and his salary demands become ridiculous/unrealistic; was Mike Richter a pending UFA when the Rangers (supposedly) almost had him trade to St. Louis, but then he either tore his ACL or suffered a concussion? This would've been late 1990s-early 2000s; the package coming back was I believe Goalie Brent Johnson, Christian Backman, I think a 1st rd draft pick and I think something else, though I could be mistaken.

I do know there are differences in the Shesterkin/Richter scenario; when Richter was almost moved, there was no salary cap and the team was awful. Now; obviously, there's a Cap and the team just went to its 2nd Eastern Conference Final in 3 years and is expected to be a playoff team for the next few years.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Trouba is here for the season. If they were going to trade him they woulda done it by now. Some of you need to come to grips with that fact lol

There's lots of teams they can make a deal with, he can threaten to sit out but that's not happening. I just don't see how after them having a deal to ship him out that he walks in the dressingroom like George costanza and pretends nothing happened. Does he wanna play 3rd pair and damage his next contract, or does he finally decide that there's players all over the league living in different cities than their families. He doesn't have a full ntc, he hasn't earned the right to block anything except the teams he submitted

Trouba isn't getting bought out. Who are we putting on the right side to replace him? We've got nobody for that spot that isn't worse than Trouba.
You need a 3rd pair dman to replace him, it's not hard to find that guy.

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
They said that she was a neuroscience major in college (which just means you took a bunch of biology and psych classes). Then people just randomly decided that she is a neurosurgeon lmao
So everything I see on the internet is not true?

A bit offf topic; but with regards to Shesterkin's pending UFA next summer; was Mike Richter a pending UFA when the Rangers (supposedly) almost had him trade to St. Louis, but then he either tore his ACL or suffered a concussion? This would've been late 1990s-early 2000s; the package coming back was I believe Goalie Brent Johnson, Christian Backman, I think a 1st rd draft pick and I think something else, though I could be mistaken.
Holy shit was he awful in that half a year we had him for. I think people forget about him, when the "worst player" discussions come up

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers and Ryan Lindgren are in continued contractual negotiations ahead of the restricted free-agent defenseman’s scheduled arbitration hearing on Friday, industry sources have told The Post.

It is believed that the club is looking for a shorter-term deal in the length of two-to-three seasons while the 26-year-old Lindgren is seeking a deal for four or five seasons. It is also believed that the Blueshirts are offering between $4 million and $4.25 million per year while No. 55 is seeking up to $5M per.

Lindgren has only one year to go before becoming eligible for unrestricted free agency. We’re told that it is possible that the club and the left-matchup defenseman could reach agreement on a one-year contract ahead of arbitration. This would allow the parties to reset and resume negotiations for a long-term deal on Jan. 1, as per the collective bargaining agreement. If unfulfilled, Lindgren would go onto the open market next summer.

2 or 3 year deal is fine. $4M-$4.5M. Lindgren is a flawed player but there is no one else. The trade market is barren. The system is dry. Lindgren is 26.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

2 or 3 year deal is fine. $4M-$4.5M. Lindgren is a flawed player but there is no one else. The trade market is barren. The system is dry. Lindgren is 26.
Sign me up. Make sure there is no “NTC” attached in case we need to move him. Won’t be a shortage of teams that wouldnt love to have him on the back end.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Hold the line Drury in both term and dollar amount. No mobility restrictions at all!

Ideally it would be 2 years at $4, probably going to come in at 3 years and $4.35M AAV

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers have no replacement for Lindgren. He is a flawed player. Not a big player. Not a great skater or puck mover. Average skater. He competes hard. His defensive metrics were good a few years ago. What is the alternative? The trade market is bad. The free agent market was expensive and the players are not very good. 2 or 3 years. He will want a NTC which will start in the 2nd season of the contract. Limited no trade clause. 15 team or something like that. Unfortunately, these clauses are reality. The Rangers could trade him before the clause starts. The rental market this spring is not very appealing. Maybe Provorov. The Rangers could flip a winger for a defenseman but for who? There is a shortage of good young D and good D in the NHL.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
The real question is why does anyone think they are still interested in trading him right now?
Drury wanted to trade him before 7/1 to allow him to be more aggressive once free agency started. So he took a shot by trying to send him to a team close to home before the list was submitted. It didn't work so we got no free agents. From what we found out later, there's nothing Drury could have done differently because as others have pointed out, Trouba using strategy, could have eliminated all possible destinations with his list.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Rangers have no replacement for Lindgren. He is a flawed player. Not a big player. Not a great skater or puck mover. Average skater. He competes hard. His defensive metrics were good a few years ago. What is the alternative? The trade market is bad. The free agent market was expensive and the players are not very good. 2 or 3 years. He will want a NTC which will start in the 2nd season of the contract. Limited no trade clause. 15 team or something like that. Unfortunately, these clauses are reality. The Rangers could trade him before the clause starts. The rental market this spring is not very appealing. Maybe Provorov. The Rangers could flip a winger for a defenseman but for who? There is a shortage of good young D and good D in the NHL.

They missed their window to move him because they were hyper fixated on Trouba.

A 1 year deal and an in season upgrade/replacement is the way if he doesn't get hurt and force a move before that. Problem is if he stays healthy I doubt the FO goes that route as they've got a blind spot for him for whatever reason.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
the alternative doesn't matter. he's not good anymore. the solution is to not pay him and deal with the consequences. just like it was with Girardi and Staal.

trouba is not good + overpaid but he is truthfully way behind lindgren in the "actively tanking the team" thing. Lindgren was absolute dog shit all year and playoffs but snuck under the radar because Trouba has half a braincell and is more noticable when he's bad. really, he had one of the worse seasons out of a Rangers D since G/Staal's copper years.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
An alternative to a player 100% unfit for his role is not required.

What's the replacement going to do? Tank the team? Lindgren is doing that.

When people say that guys are "below replacement level," they mean that quite literally.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
An alternative to a player 100% unfit for his role is not required.

What's the replacement going to do? Tank the team? Lindgren is doing that.

When people say that guys are "below replacement level," they mean that quite literally.
Yes we all know this, but I don’t think the fat cats in mgmt know it.

This offseason has already been an F for Drury , if he signs Lindgren to a multi year extension it’s going to be a Z-

Reactions: ArPanet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad