Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

Mollie discussed how Kreider and Zibanejad are not easy players to play with. Breaking them up is not easy,

Cerny mentioned how Panarin and Mika continue to disappear in the playoffs(Florida series). The Rangers are trying to win with their two highest paid forwards belonging on milk cartons when the playoffs arrive. Good luck.

Igor contract. $10.5M-$12M.

Lindgren. Fox's buddy. Help us. It's a priority. Term is the issue.

Rangers aren't sold on Jones.

No depth on D in the organization

Big moves are coming at the trade deadline. Oh boy. So stupid.

This team is doomed. Players get upset over Goodrow. Cap issues. No depth. No draft picks. NMC/ NTC. Players who disappear in the playoffs and can't be moved. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup. Let's be realistic.

This can’t be the team we go to camp with…..
I don’t know who’s most miffed about the Goodrow situation. Likely vets Kreider/zibby/panarin/trochek/vesey and probably even younger players. Goodrow wore an A, was well liked in the room and had a big playoff after an injury riddled abysmal regular season………
They will get over that…. They have to see those numbers don’t work for a 4th liner……
We have a disgruntled captain who already cancelled a trade to Det, he’s at odds with the GM. He’s been difficult to deal with in the past in Winnipeg, now we’re getting a taste of it.
If you think that doesn’t have a negative affect on everyone else in the room you’re kidding yourselves…..
It’s just sitting there like a bad hot dog on a plate with flies circling it……
Panarin knows he’s likely on his farewell tour here. If he didn’t have NMC, I suspect Drury would like to move him early. Same thing with Zibby tbh.
I doubt they move lindgren. He’s well liked and still on 26….. hes still a solid D in a reduced role. I’d wager he bounces back into form.
He stays for at least a couple more years imo.
Kakko is also not a happy camper. I don’t see his situation getting any better with time either. It’s not like he’s going to get any increased opportunity or larger role/more minutes next season….
Splitting up kreids n Mika should have happened already, I’m sure that probably won’t go over well either.
Drury and Lavi are going to have their hands full…
If we go into the year like this, I’m not expecting great results….
Moves eventually need to be made

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

Mollie discussed how Kreider and Zibanejad are not easy players to play with. Breaking them up is not easy,

Cerny mentioned how Panarin and Mika continue to disappear in the playoffs(Florida series). The Rangers are trying to win with their two highest paid forwards belonging on milk cartons when the playoffs arrive. Good luck.

This team is doomed. Players get upset over Goodrow. Cap issues. No depth. No draft picks. NMC/ NTC. Players who disappear in the playoffs and can't be moved. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup. Let's be realistic.

Drury calling the league to see how many years of second round picks he can trade.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Ryane Clowe saga was a doozy.

—Sather trades a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th (wonder where Drury gets his habit of throwing away draft picks like candy) for him when he had zero goals on the season
—He scores two goals against Pitt in the game where Brass and John Moore also scored after getting traded here
—He plays 12 games here then gets concussed and misses the rest of the season + playoffs
—After losing to Boston, Torts gives the presser where he says it was hard for the team to compete against them when we were missing our Lucic (Clowe) and our Chara (Staal) (lol…)
—Dagoon allegedly runs into Sather at the draft and asks about Clowe to which Sather laughs and calls him damaged goods
—He signs a 5 year contract with NJ, plays 56 games over two seasons, and is forced to retire due to concussion issues
He also had an assist in this first game and later on he had a fight against Prust when he was playing for Montreal.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The negativity is astounding. Especially for a Team that has been to the ECF twice in the last 3 years having been 2 wins away from the SCF twice. You would think this team has been the Buffalo Sabres. I get there are frustrations and not every move, or lack of move, has been agreed with, but the dramatic doomsday rhetoric spun around here is exhausting. I wonder why some of you even bother watching and again cant imagine how you would function if this were the Buffalo Sabres or a number of other disappointing teams that other fans have to actually suffer following.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
The negativity is astounding. Especially for a Team that has been to the ECF twice in the last 3 years having been 2 wins away from the SCF twice. You would think this team has been the Buffalo Sabres. I get there are frustrations and not every move, or lack of move, has been agreed with, but the dramatic doomsday rhetoric spun around here is exhausting. I wonder why some of you even bother watching and again cant imagine how you would function if this were the Buffalo Sabres or a number of other disappointing teams that other fans have to actually suffer following.
There are some posters who have been around for a long time that just decided to go full pessimist on this team. The team by almost any definition is in a window to win a cup. That’s a fact.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I like seeing Rempe practicing with the best in Laraque. He was the best in the league for a long time and a better player than many other contemporaries of his time. Rempe needs to learn to use his size and reach to not only throw, but stop from getting hit so that will help him. Laraque is also smart and will help him know you gotta be useful in the game.

Also, by all accounts from people in the know, the kid is a worker. He did more in the last 2 off-seasons to progress as a player than many others, putting huge emphasis on his skating, puck control, and balance.(I.e. net front battles) I think we can all name a few players over the years we wish put in that work.

It's weird. A kid on our team has a good attitude, works hard, is young, is getting better, and plays how we all want, yet no one likes him cause he happens to be good at fighting? Why is it so bad if Rempe becomes good? Can low draft picks not make it? Are late bloomers impossible?

Some of these things are unlikely, but some of you act like their is finite improvement to be pulled from the aether like skill points in a game. If Rempe get 2 that only leaves 4 more for Kakko and Othmann and others to get. Haha

That's not how it works fellas. I hope he blows up. I hope Edstrom blows up. Othmann. Berard. I like them all. They were great in Hartford. You want this team to be bigger "villains" going forward? These guys can lead the way. Age doesn't matter. Attitude does.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
RB always doom signals. Did it last year too.

If the Rangers extend Lindgren for term he’ll be right though. Can’t be extending a rapidly declining bottom pair defensemen at best just because he’s friends when your best defenseman and then allowing him to drag him down. Its just stupid. Shipping him out of town should have been priority a-z.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
So when you say spread out you mean to remove them from PK? As I said - not seeing it. And I don't think managing 1PP vs 2PP will make any meaningful impact on their minutes.
I mean give them LESS PK, and whether or not you see it happening is not pertinent. I’m saying it would be wise. You can agree or disagree, but I’m not making a prediction here. Just saying we have options and it would be smart to not overburden older players during the regular season when we would like to be making a run deep into June…
And as far as powerplay, if they go from say 4 mins a game to 2mins a game along with less PK that’s a few minutes a game less wear and tear. PP isn’t as wearing as PK obviously but still it’s something and more important is hopefully developing a second functioning powerplay.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

We’re boned

Reactions: Atax

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
There are some posters who have been around for a long time that just decided to go full pessimist on this team. The team by almost any definition is in a window to win a cup. That’s a fact.
You and I have both been around quite a bit. There are plenty of others too in our same tenure group. But its just I remember those early 2000s just before I joined on here. Those were actually miserable times. Every move made was the wrong one. The team was mediocre and middling through and through. Couldn’t get out of their own way. Like that was truly hard hockey to watch.

So when I see the reactions I am witnessing across multiple threads, especially from people who have been fans a long time, its kinda shameful. Its 2024. There is more parity in this league than ever. There really is. On top of that there are now 32 damn teams. It is incredibly difficult just to be in the Final 4 let alone win it all. I am by no means celebrating falling short in 2022 and this past year, but sheesh this team is not a damn mess going into next year. You have Igor. You have the veterans. I have my concerns with the group. Kreider, who is my favorite player having grown up with him from young adult life to now, concerns me with his lackluster play at times. Zibanejad, who I defend all the time, concerns me as a guy who you may not win with. Great player but you may not win with. The list goes on. There are positives too. Lafreniere. Cuylle. Fox. Schneider. Miller. The list of young forward prospects that seem to be a plethora of guys to fill the bottom 6 perfectly in the next 1-2 years.

Offseason isn’t over yet. Let’s see what happens. This is not a bad team as is right now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
RB always doom signals. Did it last year too.

If the Rangers extend Lindgren for term he’ll be right though. Can’t be extending a rapidly declining bottom pair defensemen at best just because he’s friends when your best defenseman and then allowing him to drag him down. Its just stupid. Shipping him out of town should have been priority a-z.
He's not a bottom pair dman though. Before last season he was a great middle pair dman who was being played well above his head on the top pair with Fox. If they would just cut his ice time down and give him more favorable minutes (and not against other teams tops players) he will do fine.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I know you agree.
It’s been exactly 3 decades since I saw us last win the cup. I was 13 living out in LI. That’s the only thing I have as a sports fan. 4 straight Super Bowl losses. The Knicks have sucked. I was too young to appreciate the Mets win the World Series. 1 Stanley cup. That’s all.

Dolan cans JD and Gorts, effectively destroying the rebuild only to see Sather 2.0 piss away asset after asset on shitty players who can’t get us over the hurdle.

GAG summed it up perfectly. Pizza bitch Traded away 28 picks in 3 years while acquiring 10 mediocre picks. How’s that even possible.

Do I agree? Wholeheartedly. We’re a f***ing joke.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Dude seriously. I love frequenting the board to discuss the team but some of this rhetoric is borderline insanity.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I like seeing Rempe practicing with the best in Laraque. He was the best in the league for a long time and a better player than many other contemporaries of his time. Rempe needs to learn to use his size and reach to not only throw, but stop from getting hit so that will help him. Laraque is also smart and will help him know you gotta be useful in the game.

Also, by all accounts from people in the know, the kid is a worker. He did more in the last 2 off-seasons to progress as a player than many others, putting huge emphasis on his skating, puck control, and balance.(I.e. net front battles) I think we can all name a few players over the years we wish put in that work.

It's weird. A kid on our team has a good attitude, works hard, is young, is getting better, and plays how we all want, yet no one likes him cause he happens to be good at fighting? Why is it so bad if Rempe becomes good? Can low draft picks not make it? Are late bloomers impossible?

Some of these things are unlikely, but some of you act like their is finite improvement to be pulled from the aether like skill points in a game. If Rempe get 2 that only leaves 4 more for Kakko and Othmann and others to get. Haha

That's not how it works fellas. I hope he blows up. I hope Edstrom blows up. Othmann. Berard. I like them all. They were great in Hartford. You want this team to be bigger "villains" going forward? These guys can lead the way. Age doesn't matter. Attitude does.
I’m with this. The young guys coming up were targeted as solid middle and bottom 6ers with an edge. Let them play.

Trade Lindgren and find a D partner for Fox

Reactions: MrAlmost

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
It’s been exactly 3 decades since I saw us last win the cup. I was 13 living out in LI. That’s the only thing I have as a sports fan. 4 straight Super Bowl losses. The Knicks have sucked. I was too young to appreciate the Mets win the World Series. 1 Stanley cup. That’s all.

Dolan cans JD and Gorts, effectively destroying the rebuild only to see Sather 2.0 piss away asset after asset on shitty players who can’t get us over the hurdle.

GAG summed it up perfectly. Pizza bitch Traded away 28 picks in 3 years while acquiring 10 mediocre picks. How’s that even possible.

Do I agree? Wholeheartedly. We’re a f***ing joke.

When was the last time the Mets won the World Series?
When was the last time the Maple Leafs made a Stanley Cup Final
How many playoff series have the Blue Jackets won as an organization?
When was the last time the Knicks won a championship?
Jets?
When was the last time a Canadian team won the Cup
Islanders?
Sharks?
Buffalo?
Wild?

This is a parity driven league where everyone is in the same boat. You draft well and then you can't afford to keep the players you want. You sign the big time free agent and you can't surround them with the team you want. Every team has issues, has flaws, has to be lucky to win the Cup.

97% of teams fail every year. Some teams haven't made the playoffs in a decade.

The answer to the Blue Jackets question above is one. ONE series win in TWENTY FOUR YEARS.

The answer to the Leafs question is 1967. 57 years since they made a final much less win anything.

"Joke" is hardly the right term for a team that's made the ECF's twice in three years.

If you were 13 when the Rangers won the Cup then you survived the late 90's and early 2000's when we really, truly were a "joke".

Some of us need a little perspective.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Smith could become the 23rd player to give it a try since the beginning of the David Quinn era on Broadway.

How f***ing dumb do you have to be to not understand that THESE TWO PLAYERS DO NOT WORK WELL. Jesus, we are up to 23 players now? Only 1 worked? (Buch?).

Grow a set and put them on different lines. We know both will cry but oh well. This is even more insane now that I have seen how many fail attempts they tried.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

How f***ing dumb do you have to be to not understand that THESE TWO PLAYERS DO NOT WORK WELL. Jesus, we are up to 23 players now? Only 1 worked? (Buch?).

Grow a set and put them on different lines. We know both will cry but oh well. This is even more insane now that I have seen how many fail attempts they tried.

Vatrano worked.
Zukester worked.

The real issue here is that Kakko hasn't worked and the Rangers have been trying piecemeal players that aren't suited for the top six (Goodrow, Vesey, Roslovic, etc...) and haven't been able to afford a piece that is really suited for that role (Guentzl, Kane (yeah, I know, no thanks), hell even Tarasenko is getting 4.5M and he was on the 3rd line for the Cats, etc...

They need a possession RW'er who can pass and play behind the net. They haven't had that since Buchnevich.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Vatrano worked.
Zukester worked.

The real issue here is that Kakko hasn't worked and the Rangers have been trying piecemeal players that aren't suited for the top six (Goodrow, Vesey, Roslovic, etc...) and haven't been able to afford a piece that is really suited for that role (Guentzl, Kane (yeah, I know, no thanks), hell even Tarasenko is getting 4.5M and he was on the 3rd line for the Cats, etc...

They need a possession RW'er who can pass and play behind the net. They haven't had that since Buchnevich.
So one in about every 8 players works? Pull them apart. Better odds elsewhere.

Kakko worked with the kid line, did not work with the country club line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad