Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
I really think this is a fallicy.

15.27% - MacKinnon
11.35% - Rantanen
11.04% - Makar
37.66% on three players

Now add any one of the four from the below and regardless whose picked we are at 45%+ on 4 players:
07.42% - Nichushkin
08.59% - Landeskog
08.68% - Toews

It might not be 50% today, but only MacK and whoever was chosen from the above are being paid as UFAs. Rants and Makar will be asking for signficant cap percentage increases. Enough for a combined 5% between them? I'd say it's inevitable.

[edit... I'm relying on public education and cap percentages from capwages.com. Please be gentle.]
The main problem was the Leafs had 50% of the cap tied up with 4 forwards. Not 4 players the problem. 4 forwards and only one top tier C. If you're going to tie yourself to a forwards group you better have two elite centres.

I'm talking Crosy Malkin. I'm talking Point Stamkos. I'm talking McDavid RNH.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Your logic is broken.
I guess if you say so. I don't buy into the larger group think so call me an idiot if you want. There are plenty of game theory scenarios you can run through to see that NHL GMs suck at handling the top and bottom of their rosters but whatever I'm the idiot.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I guess if you say so. I don't buy into the larger group think so call me an idiot if you want. There are plenty of game theory scenarios you can run through to see that NHL GMs suck at handling the top and bottom of their rosters but whatever I'm the idiot.

Your rationalization for your whacky comments is avoiding “group think”? That’s incredibly rational.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
A Finnish crapsite is ranking the top 100 Finnish NHL players of all time. Rantanen came in 4th. Ahead are of course Kurri and Selänne, but can you guess who else? Took me a while to realize who it was.

Other current Avs on the list:
Lehkonen at #40, should be higher than Laine or Granlund, but they have the media hype.
Kiviranta at #96

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
A Finnish crapsite is ranking the top 100 Finnish NHL players of all time. Rantanen came in 4th. Ahead are of course Kurri and Selänne, but can you guess who else? Took me a while to realize who it was.

Lehkonen at #40, should be higher than Laine or Granlund, but they have the media hype.
Kiviranta at #96
I presume the Selke winner is in 3rd.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
The main problem was the Leafs had 50% of the cap tied up with 4 forwards. Not 4 players the problem. 4 forwards and only one top tier C. If you're going to tie yourself to a forwards group you better have two elite centres.

I'm talking Crosy Malkin. I'm talking Point Stamkos. I'm talking McDavid RNH.
Sakic and Forsberg would like a word with you.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

Kiviranta at #96
Lehtinen probably. Thought about Koivu simply because he was a superstar in international hockey, but his NHL accomplishments are not that impressive.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Kiviranta at #96
Yikes.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Sakic was the 1 C Forsberg 2

True, although I’d go to my death bed arguing Forsberg was the better player. His line regularly got the harder matchups intentionally because of Foppa being a 2 way beast.

I also always felt Forsberg at his best was arguably the best player in the game at that time other than a healthy Lemieux or Jagr.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Foppa was a 2C in the same way Drai is... Not actually in practice. Both played a ton and limited the need for strong bottom 6s. Foppa also played a lot of wing later in his Avs (first) tenure like Drai.

Reactions: missionAvs

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Foppa was a 2C in the same way Drai is... Not actually in practice. Both played a ton and limited the need for strong bottom 6s. Foppa also played a lot of wing later in his Avs (first) tenure like Drai.

Down by a goal? Let’s just put 2 of the top 5 players in the world together and let them figure it out.

A coach’s dream.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
True, although I’d go to my death bed arguing Forsberg was the better player. His line regularly got the harder matchups intentionally because of Foppa being a 2 way beast.

I also always felt Forsberg at his best was arguably the best player in the game at that time other than a healthy Lemieux or Jagr.
I've always felt this way also.

But then again, Sakic's performance in the 2001 playoffs after Forsberg went down? Simply awesome.

Both great top shelf players.

Last edited:

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

I've always felt this way also.

But then again, Sakic's performance in the 2001 playoffs after Forsberg went down? Simply awesome.

Both great top shelf players.
Finally a thread derailment that makes my heart all warm and tingly:heart:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Maybe if we close this thread, the extension will be announced right after.

In that case, keep it open!

477f1ca893489582_tumblr_mar6h9t0Q21ra8x1ao7_500-1414588008.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad