Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Would anyone want Kevin Labanc on a PTO or league minimum signing? He can still skate or add much needed speed?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
MacDermid was 21 years old which is the same age as Rempe was this year. He's still just a baby. If Rempe becomes reliable defensively he will play 10-12 minutes per night. The Rangers have much more swagger when he's in the lineup. He's already demonstrated a forecheck that puts the fear of God into opposition D and it tilts the momentum in our favor. The issue is can he be relied upon when he isn't forechecking because the puck is in our own end. If he can defend, win battles, and chip the puck out then we have a unicorn on our team.

Almosto no chance he plays 10-12 minutes a night. Goodrow just barely got 10 mins/game at 5v5 last year and Rempe certainly won’t be trusted as much as him and will lose lots of ice time just by penalties. Bonino and Pitlick both got less than that.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He will have no offense. He didn’t score in junior. He didn’t score in the AHL. He didn’t score as a 15 year old. He had 3 points in 25ish nhl games. He’s likely the worst offensive player in the league. His ice time will be less in the NHL than at other levels. You’re probably looking at a guy who maybe scores 10 points a year if he plays 82 games. The offense is not just as available at the NHL level as it is in weaker leagues. That’s fooling yourself. Yes he still goes to the net but the defenses are better, the goalies are better, and he’ll also spend way less time in the offensive zone in general against NHL competition than he would face in lower level leagues.

Cody McLeod had a 30 goal WHL season. Kurtis MacDermid a 40 point season (as a dman). The amount of offense he’s put up in lower levels is just unfathomaly bad.

If we must have a big guy the guy we should be trying to develop for that role is Edstrom who has shown some actual puck skills and offensive ability in addition to being physical without taking nonstop penalties.

Why not both Edstrom and Rempe? They play opposite wings.

Also he wasn’t devoid of offense last year in the AHL and his points mainly come from right around the net. If anything, those points are easier to come by at the NHL level because NHL d-men pressure the puck more all over the defensive zone. There aren’t any Harpur’s or McIlrath’s as NHL regulars so a 6’8 forward is going to be routinely matched up with smaller guys who skate better

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I’m a middle aged man that’s been posting on this board for twenty years and who constantly shits on my younger teammates who are exactly that new generation you speak of. I dislike Matt Rempe the hockey player because he sucks at hockey and is an unnecessary sideshow on an otherwise very seriously contending team.

We lost this year because our defense sucked but it would have been nice to have been trotting Edstrom out there instead of Rempe. Edstrom got such a raw deal this year.
Rempe is a valuable nhl 4th liner. Not that we needed much help in the washington series but he scored the first goal, knocked van reimsdyke out of the series and basically ensures theyd have an ahl blue line and broke oshies wrist. Thats a valuable weapon to deploy

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
He will have no offense. He didn’t score in junior. He didn’t score in the AHL. He didn’t score as a 15 year old. He had 3 points in 25ish nhl games. He’s likely the worst offensive player in the league. His ice time will be less in the NHL than at other levels. You’re probably looking at a guy who maybe scores 10 points a year if he plays 82 games. The offense is not just as available at the NHL level as it is in weaker leagues. That’s fooling yourself. Yes he still goes to the net but the defenses are better, the goalies are better, and he’ll also spend way less time in the offensive zone in general against NHL competition than he would face in lower level leagues.

Cody McLeod had a 30 goal WHL season. Kurtis MacDermid a 40 point season (as a dman). The amount of offense he’s put up in lower levels is just unfathomaly bad.

If we must have a big guy the guy we should be trying to develop for that role is Edstrom who has shown some actual puck skills and offensive ability in addition to being physical without taking nonstop penalties.
Rempe had 31 points in 47 games in junior in his draft year. Tom wilson had 27 points in 49 games in junior in his draft year. Rempe will never be gretzsky but to pretend he cant clean up net front is just dumb.

Also had 8 even strength goals in 43 games in the ahl this past season. He makes his money net front

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Also he wasn’t devoid of offense last year in the AHL and his points mainly come from right around the net. If anything, those points are easier to come by at the NHL level because NHL d-men pressure the puck more all over the defensive zone. There aren’t any Harpur’s or McIlrath’s as NHL regulars so a 6’8 forward is going to be routinely matched up with smaller guys who skate better

Because seven spots at wing are already set with Kreider/Smith/Panarin/Lafreniere/Cuylle/Kakko/Vesey and I doubt they will take Vesey out to have a 4th line consisting of 2 wings who don't PK unless it's one of the actual bigger prospects like Othmann.

Those points are not easier to come by at the NHL level. That's just fooling yourself. Even if they were he would get them less just because the amount of time spent in the offensive zone will be much less than it would against weaker competition. And it's not just smaller guys who skate better. It's guys who are much better positionally.

Just take a look at all the other bottom line type players who are 6'6" or larger in the league (Protas [who does play a bit higher in the lineup], Zohorna, Toropchenko, McCarron). 71 goals in 644 NHL games (9/season). 123 goals in 568 AHL games (18/season). Looks to me like the guys who keep up the production at that size are the ones that are actually drafted with the expectation to produce and have done it before (i.e. Rasmussen, Thompson, Greenway, Bjugstad). That's also a biased sample because it's only considering guys who have actually carved out an NHL role. If you look at drafted AHL big guys the overall result will be even worse since many of them never even make it to the NHL or just get very minimal time for example Klapka, Tufte, Buddy Robinson, Gettinger are/were all decent to very good AHL scorers and it doesn't translate at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I'm sure he's going to work on EVERYTHING. Not sure why him spending a little time with Georges in early July learning how not to get hit in the face so much is making people think that's all he's working on...
The good thing is that he is working on his game . He is going to help us in the long run as the D know he is out there and will be coming hard forcing mistakes /bad passes . He will be working on his skills constantly over the next couple of seasons between Ranger practices and the AHL assignments as long as he is waiver safe .

I would love to see him get a few seconds on PP2 in the crease . Besides being a great screen he might even draw a Dman into taking a stupid penalty if he can maintain his cool and he might also entice a top 4 Dman to drop the gloves and the opposition loses a good defender or a 3rd man jumps in and they get two extra minutes .

He has uses other than strictly fighting . I would like to see him avoid the staged bouts and play hard nosed physical hockey . I'm hoping for the best from him this season.....40-50 games 5 goals and 10 assists & 400penalty minutes LOL. Law & Order NY !

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He's not a bad player, he wasn't kept off the ice because he can't play hockey it's because the league had a hard on for him because he's big and skates well enough to seriously hurt someone on the forecheck. His ability to play a 4th line game isn't the issue, so no he doesn't suck. He unfortunately and stupidly has to slow his hits down because the nhl has different rules for different sizes, nobody complains when someone much smaller than him goes for a heavy skate on the forecheck, with him it's an issue, either the league f's off or he has to adjust.
Bennett seemed to be oblivious to NHL refs in most of his massive runs and hits and misses . If he was 7 inches taller would he have got the same luxury ? I think not . I agree Rempe was on their radar .

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m a middle aged man that’s been posting on this board for twenty years and who constantly shits on my younger teammates who are exactly that new generation you speak of. I dislike Matt Rempe the hockey player because he sucks at hockey and is an unnecessary sideshow on an otherwise very seriously contending team.

We lost this year because our defense sucked but it would have been nice to have been trotting Edstrom out there instead of Rempe. Edstrom got such a raw deal this year.
I could be wrong but believe Eds was injured out.

bingo

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I will be furious if he plays that many games. I might be furious if he plays 7 games.

Yes! if only he can learn to play actual hockey will he be useful. Who knew?
Hahahaha. Time for anger management!

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The Twin Towers will soon need contract renewals......what will the Rangers offer and for how long ? Every 100grand will be needed to run this club over the next few years . A 1/4 million/ annually in savings will always be significant . Both likely long term gambles but if you get them cheap ...how long is a good # ?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Because seven spots at wing are already set with Kreider/Smith/Panarin/Lafreniere/Cuylle/Kakko/Vesey and I doubt they will take Vesey out to have a 4th line consisting of 2 wings who don't PK unless it's one of the actual bigger prospects like Othmann.

Those points are not easier to come by at the NHL level. That's just fooling yourself. Even if they were he would get them less just because the amount of time spent in the offensive zone will be much less than it would against weaker competition. And it's not just smaller guys who skate better. It's guys who are much better positionally.

Just take a look at all the other bottom line type players who are 6'6" or larger in the league (Protas [who does play a bit higher in the lineup], Zohorna, Toropchenko, McCarron). 71 goals in 644 NHL games (9/season). 123 goals in 568 AHL games (18/season). Looks to me like the guys who keep up the production at that size are the ones that are actually drafted with the expectation to produce and have done it before (i.e. Rasmussen, Thompson, Greenway, Bjugstad). That's also a biased sample because it's only considering guys who have actually carved out an NHL role. If you look at drafted AHL big guys the overall result will be even worse since many of them never even make it to the NHL or just get very minimal time for example Klapka, Tufte, Buddy Robinson, Gettinger are/were all decent to very good AHL scorers and it doesn't translate at all.

In terms of the PK, Kakko and Edstrom should be full time PKer's this season. Problem solved there.

What is your opinion of Adam Edstrom?

16 points in 40 games in the AHL last year at 23 years old for Edstrom
12 points in 43 games in the AHL last year at 21 years old for Rempe

Let's compare to Garnet Hathaway at 21 who was playing his junior season at Brown in NCAA and put up 21 points in 33 games. At 22 he went back to college and scored 15 points in 31 games. Not exactly eye-popping numbers.

Lets look at McCarron who you mention. At 21 years old he had 5 points in 31 games in the NHL (averaged ~10 minutes of ice time per game, double what Rempe did last year). At 22 years old he had 24 points in 54 games in the AHL and 1 point in 18 games in the NHL. Also, this past year in 70 games and with 12:46 average TOI he had 142 hits. Rempe would have that many hits in that ice time in about 30-35 games.

You're making comparisons of just 'big guys', some of whom don't translate to 3rd/4th line guys or who don't skate well.

Gettinger's reason for not making the NHL was not his lack of scoring, it was his lack of speed. He couldn't get to the spots he needed to and his physical game wasn't consistent enough. He was more of a guy who used his size to protect pucks than someone delivering hits.

Tufte was supposed to be an offensive player, not exactly a bottom-6 energy guy.

What's ironic here is that I am not even saying that I think Rempe plays above a 4th line role in the NHL. I think people forget that kids his size very often don't sniff the NHL until 23, 24 or even 25 years old because their skating isn't up to snuff. That's really not the case here. His straight line skating and speed, along with his playing style don't really need much improvement or changing. Yes he has things to work on and he clearly is based on reports on how he works on and off the ice but I foresee him being a guy who hits everything that moves and likely scores 15-20 points every season. At his size, along with his ability to stand up for teammates or invigorate energy into his teammates is a valuable asset.

I keep using Hathaway as an example here, but he had 17 points in 82 games last year playing ~12:30 a night. He was just extended for another two years and he has been a very effective forward for both the Caps and Flyers.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Would Montreal trade Matheson? Great skating dmen with a great shot. Always played well under Sullivan’s system in PIT, and he has 2 years left at $4.875M. His numbers skyrocketed last year because he got PP time, but he’s normally been good for 30 points a year.

Depending what Lindgren wants, it could be worth it as a short-term upgrade. I think Key could learn a bit to model his game after him too

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Who cares about offense from Rempe? He's a 4th liner. If he plays consistently he'll get 5-10 goals, what more do people want? A smart team would put him netfront on PP2 and make opposing goalies and D deal with him in a situation where we have the upper hand.

I care about offense from Rempe. Production is one thing, but being able to generate chances and not just sweep in the odd rebound or just being a big body where pucks go in off your ass is not really what we should be looking for from the 4th line.

Every line we have should be able to at least generate chances. That is offense. For 4th liners, wether or not those chances turn into production is a separate matter, but just being a 30-40 breather for the other three lines is never a good recipe for success.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I care about offense from Rempe. Production is one thing, but being able to generate chances and not just sweep in the odd rebound or just being a big body where pucks go in off your ass is not really what we should be looking for from the 4th line.

Every line we have should be able to at least generate chances. That is offense. For 4th liners, wether or not those chances turn into production is a separate matter, but just being a 30-40 breather for the other three lines is never a good recipe for success.

Thats exactly the type of offense we need from the fourth line. We dont get that type of offense from any of the other lines. Dump it in, hit a defenseman, go to the net. I think rempe is capable of that.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Cuyle was the best 5 on 5 player for the Rangers this past season. He did not get any PP or PK time. All of his goals were even strength I believe. Hopefully he gets some PK and PP time in preseason and a legit chance in the regular season. He would be another good option to have to screen the goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad