Barrie Colts 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
What makes the 2024 draft horrible; a gamble on Emerton? According to ranks and mocks, the colts did well.
I also ask this question of 2023? What makes these drafts so horrible? I think they came out with some good players in both.

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Thoughts on next seasons Colts....

It's going to be difficult to sway Nygaard away from Sweden this year, especially if Detroit loans Sandin-Pellikka back there. Hemming would be a huge asset but I think he will likely stay in Finland...depends what the Stars think is best for him. I beleive that he'll develop more offensive talent coming over to the Colts. We could use his big body and right handed shot.

Goaltending will be really strong, especially if draft eligible Kerkola comes over. We will be set up nicely for 2 years with Hilly (likely come back as OA) and Kerkola.

Questions...
-What are your thoughts of this years lineup?
-If Nygaard or Hemming come over (or both!) the lineup would be stacked...easily roll 4 lines. Who does that bump out?
-Currently 4 overagers, all 4 have played their entire OHL careers as colts...Who stays and who goes?

Wigle-Jelsma-York (O/A Line)
Stewart-Beaudoin-Patterson
Moses-Grisolia-Lowe
Vaughan-Newton-Morey
Jodoin (OA), Dubowsky, Derbidge
Any other forward hopefuls?

Aitcheson-Akey
Brauti-Tiller
Blair-Passmore
Handsor, Emerton(?), Smith
Any other D Hopefuls?

Hillebrandt
Hrebik / Kerkola

Any other Goalie Hopefuls?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Thoughts on next seasons Colts....

It's going to be difficult to sway Nygaard away from Sweden this year, especially if Detroit loans Sandin-Pellikka back there. Hemming would be a huge asset but I think he will likely stay in Finland...depends what the Stars think is best for him. I beleive that he'll develop more offensive talent coming over to the Colts. We could use his big body and right handed shot.

Goaltending will be really strong, especially if draft eligible Kerkola comes over. We will be set up nicely for 2 years with Hilly (likely come back as OA) and Kerkola.

Questions...
-What are your thoughts of this years lineup?
-If Nygaard or Hemming come over (or both!) the lineup would be stacked...easily roll 4 lines. Who does that bump out?
-Currently 4 overagers, all 4 have played their entire OHL careers as colts...Who stays and who goes?

Wigle-Jelsma-York (O/A Line)
Stewart-Beaudoin-Patterson
Moses-Grisolia-Lowe
Vaughan-Newton-Morey
Jodoin (OA), Dubowsky, Derbidge
Any other forward hopefuls?

Aitcheson-Akey
Brauti-Tiller
Blair-Passmore
Handsor, Emerton(?), Smith
Any other D Hopefuls?

Hillebrandt
Hrebik / Kerkola

Any other Goalie Hopefuls?

There are too many players to not expect some moved. I’d list forwards Jodoin, Bowen, Derbidge, & Morey as hopeful or alternates, and Wigle & Dubowsky as waived. Hopeful and/or alternates for defence are Blair, Handsor, Noah-Barton, Emerson, & possibly Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLColtsPuck

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
There are too many players to not expect some moved. I’d list forwards Jodoin, Bowen, Derbidge, & Morey as hopeful or alternates, and Wigle & Dubowsky as waived. Hopeful and/or alternates for defence are Blair, Handsor, Noah-Barton, Emerson, & possibly Smith.
I agree, movement will be needed. You think they will waive Wigle? I think he would be an effective OA, he has good speed and strength.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree, movement will be needed. You think they will waive Wigle? I think he would be an effective OA, he has good speed and strength.

Can’t possibly keep all the forwards. I think Jelsma and York are the two OAs that will most likely be on the team.

York-Beaudoin-Patterson
Stewart-Jelsma-Derbidge/Jodoin/import/trade
Lowe-Grisolia/Morey-Moses
Bowen-J.Newton-Vaugn

Out: Dubowsky, Wigle, N.Newton.
Morey/Grisolia/Derbidge/Jodoin as alternates?

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Just saw that! Woohoo!
1721921062291.png

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Hemming is not coming to Colts
Options are TPS or Dallas.

Kerkola is top ranked Finnish goalie 2025 NHL draft.
He's not getting SM liiga minutes in Kalpa this coming season so he probably is coming to Colts.
Boom hemming to the colts next Kerkola to have a great 1-2 punch with Hillebrandt and possibly trade for a better 3rd OA and this team is stacked

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
These would be my lines to start the year
Wigle Jelsma Hemming
York Beaudoin Patterson
Stewart Vaughan Moses
Lowe Newton Grisolia/Morey
Dubowsky Harmon Derbidge?

Aitchenson Akey
Brauti Tiller
Scott Passmore
Handsor Gaudet-Barton

Hillebrandt
Kerkola

I think this team if they plan to really go for it has to upgrade at least 1 of Wigle or York and probably add a top 4 D man if they really want to compete but will shall see what happens. Either way just as the team sits now they should be a top 4 team in the east.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
These would be my lines to start the year
Wigle Jelsma Hemming
York Beaudoin Patterson
Stewart Vaughan Moses
Lowe Newton Grisolia/Morey
Dubowsky Harmon Derbidge?

Aitchenson Akey
Brauti Tiller
Scott Passmore
Handsor Gaudet-Barton

Hillebrandt
Kerkola

I think this team if they plan to really go for it has to upgrade at least 1 of Wigle or York and probably add a top 4 D man if they really want to compete but will shall see what happens. Either way just as the team sits now they should be a top 4 team in the east.
strong at C and RW.

I assume if jelsma is back they trade York for a better LW? - then you have 2 great forward lines followed by a solid 3rd line, 2 pretty good d lines and 2 solid goalies. Looking good.

Or wonder if they trade York AND wigle and go for a good LW OA and a top 4 OA LHD

This changes a lot in the eastern conference- didn’t know if you guys would get hemming- and jelsma is up in the air but if you get jelsma back and now obviously you got hemming to commit- you’re without a doubt one of the top contending teams in the east.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
probably won't happen; Jelsma, LeBlanc, LeBlanc (3rd centre) as OAs. I think Andrew Leblanc was made for Williamson's team.
need to trim both forward and defense. With that roster, Mustard might be enticed to play on the top line.

Stewart-Jelsma-Hemming
York-Beaudoin-Patterson
Lowe/Derbidge/Wigle-Grisolia/Morey-Moses
Harmon-Newton-Vaughn

Last edited:
Reactions: Section5Petes

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Maybe not, Wigle is their best 3rd line centre option right now.
Grisolia, Derbidge, Morey out?

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Marty sure has some work to do between now and the end of camp. I'm sure they'll keep some extra bodies around at the beginning of the season though, assuming Hilly, Hemming, Beaudoin & potentially Akey will be away for the WJC (not sure why Akey was not invited to the summer skate?).

Roster looks great, I agree another top 4 right shot dman would be nice.

Just saw a post with the Sadlon Ice install 30 year logo but...tons of ads this season. What do you think? Europe here we come?
1722001667194.png

Reactions: Section5Petes

cvandenberg22

Dec 25, 2012
Finland has announced their Ivan Hlinka roster. Barrie looks like they are getting Patrik Kerkola, who is listed as playing for the Barrie Colts, their second round import pick from Finland which gets them one of the top goalies in the 2025 NHL draft and forms a great tandem with underrated Sam Hillebrandt.

Attachments

• 54E8AB12-F9CD-47C2-97E6-BCA6AE42E0D7.jpeg
    54E8AB12-F9CD-47C2-97E6-BCA6AE42E0D7.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: frontsfan67

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland has announced their Ivan Hlinka roster. Barrie looks like they are getting Patrik Kerkola, who is listed as playing for the Barrie Colts, their second round import pick from Finland which gets them one of the top goalies in the 2025 NHL draft and forms a great tandem with underrated Sam Hillebrandt.
Unfortunately Team Finland U18 team's roster paper
on Hlinka tournament is not official announcement Kerkola's
reporting to Barrie Colts so lets wait official announcement first before jumping to walls for excitement.

Jimmy582

Feb 5, 2023
Wonder if we see the colts make any big moves before the start of the year. I would like them either try to add some high end scoring in Barlow and have 2 pure snipers alongside Hemming or go after Gibson from the Soo and sure up the top 4 D with Aitchenson Akey and Brauti

Reactions: three dog night

OHLColtsPuck

Aug 31, 2022
Going to miss Brauti for sure if he is gone. Seems like Marty always has to give up players we need to get deals done...Last year Savard, this year Brauti.

This is not to say that I don't like the addition of Bertucci! lol. Huge win if we have him in the roster, just going to miss Brauti, I think he is going to be a real strong player in the league this season and next.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Going to miss Brauti for sure if he is gone. Seems like Marty always has to give up players we need to get deals done...Last year Savard, this year Brauti.

This is not to say that I don't like the addition of Bertucci! lol. Huge win if we have him in the roster, just going to miss Brauti, I think he is going to be a real strong player in the league this season and next.
You know, that's how deals are done.

Either a top player for top player or 2nd, 3 rd round picks.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

your getting him for dirt cheap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad