Confirmed with Link: Henry Thrun re-signed to 2 year deal 1M AAV

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It's a good deal. Thrun has said that he thinks he can be a #1 defenseman. While I hope he proves me wrong, I just don't see it; I don't think he has the offensive chops. It feels like his potential is a #3-4 defenseman who is solid defensively and can move the puck well. I hope he focuses on his defensive play and skating.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
One of our overflowing plethora of decent bottom-pairing defensemen, glad he's signed dirt cheap, he's not worth any more at this time

He's still not a lock for the roster to me, he has to beat out Mukhamadullin and Vlasic, but I think he's the most likely of those 3 to make the team, as they're all clearly under Ferraro and Walman on the left side

Reactions: landshark

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Solid deal, let's see what he can do these next 2 years and whether he's worth keeping around long-term as a bottom-4 LD
Didn't Thrun indicate to the media that he is first paring D? Or something like that...

EDIT: found it.

1721956685071.png

My bad, he wants to be a first pair d-man... That's all fine and dandy. I misremembered and thought he said that he is a first pair d-man...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Didn't Thrun indicate to the media that he is first paring D? Or something like that...

EDIT: found it.

View attachment 897123

My bad, he wants to be a first pair d-man... That's all fine and dandy. I misremembered and thought he said that he is a first pair d-man...
I've said it before, but I don't think this path is right for Thrun. I don't see the offensive chops. He'd be better off improving his defensive game and working on his skating, carving a path to a mid-pair D-man who can puck the puck.

Reactions: landshark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
2026-27 defense:

Mukhamadullin-Trade/UFA
Thrun-Emberson
Dickinson-Benning

Not great, even if the outside add is someone in the upper range of what might be realistic like Larsson, Cernak or Whitecloud.

We probably need to draft (another) defenseman with a 1st round pick or trade a 1st for a young dman with top pair potential.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
2026-27 defense:

Mukhamadullin-Trade/UFA
Thrun-Emberson
Dickinson-Benning

Not great, even if the outside add is someone in the upper range of what might be realistic like Larsson, Cernak or Whitecloud.

We probably need to draft (another) defenseman with a 1st round pick or trade a 1st for a young dman with top pair potential.
I would say it's more like Dickinson-Mukh in the top-4 on the left with Thrun-Emberson on the third pair. So they really need to add two top-4 RD over the next couple of years. Drafting one with the 2025 1st would definitely help.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
2026-27 defense:

Mukhamadullin-Trade/UFA
Thrun-Emberson
Dickinson-Benning

Benning ain’t gonna be back after his contract is up.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I would say it's more like Dickinson-Mukh in the top-4 on the left with Thrun-Emberson on the third pair. So they really need to add two top-4 RD over the next couple of years. Drafting one with the 2025 1st would definitely help.
That's how I see it. Thrun-Emberson developing into a good third pair would be nice. Easy enough to find those guys but at least we would have the spots locked down for the foreseeable future.

Mukh turning into a good partner to a true #1D we draft on the top pair.

Dickerson develops into a great #2D and we just need a partner for him on the second pair

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
They are obviously hoping dick can be a top pair in 2-3 years.

I expect that much depends on this year. The Sharks are gunna get a gooooood look at what they have. They’ll see a year of smith and Celly. They might see musty too if he can wow them. They get to see what they have in Halttunen and busted in the A. They’ll know what they have in mukh.

They will also get a final word on gushkin, card well, and Bordy as well as seeing if dyllandrea is worth anything. They will also get a look at Cagnoni and get a good look at pohlcamp in Denver. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a top 4D shark in two years. Watch out for him!!

This is a very tell tale year. We have the best farm in the league (I think) and this year is the major determination.

(P.s.: we’ll also see what we might have in graf and if Eklund has true star potential or just second liner… not to mention a sharp eye on the khl for Chernyshov ans Edstrom in Sweden.)

Basically, this year will likely determine the direction summer 2025. If the kids collectively show themselves to be the real deal even if missing the PO, then Grier will dump the ufas in granlund, kunin, sturm, vanacek and Blackwood for a 1st and a few mid rounders (likely get one more big draft haul). Then, in summer 2025, they go shopping hard for a couple D to compliment the kids.

2025-26 lineup:

Celebrini-Eklund-Zetterlund
Smith-musty-Toffoli
Wennberg-Bystedt-Halttunen
Goodrow-grundstrom-dylanndrea

Edstrom, gushkin, cardwell, and a few others could be for depth. Note: cooch Retires and this forward crew costs best to nothing. Just a total of 25M or so.

On D:
Dickinson - mukh
Walman-ferraro
Benning- thrun
Pickles

This D would cost a total of 18M.

Goalie:
???? No idea! But let’s say 8M for two solid vet goalies.

That’s a cap hit of just 53M!!

That gives Grier 35M to play with!! If we kids look ready, that should be enough to add two star D and a star forward and still have left over.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Would be nice if Dickinson can handle top 4 minutes at age 20 but we shouldn't be counting on it.

Benning ain’t gonna be back after his contract is up.
Matt Benning is a Shark for life.

• Haha
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Note: counting on 19-20 year olds for 6 of your top 9 forward spots is always tough so adding another Toffoli-like guy or two who can provide a good vet presence would be very good.

Sharks could also flip some 2025 draft capital or a few of their current abundance of forward prospects to bring in some quality D. I don’t feel great that mukh, dick, Cagnoni, Thrun, and pohlcamp are good enough to anchor a D corps. They might well be, but I would reallllly love to get a burns/boyle like clear #1 D anchor to take some pressure off dick and others. Wonder if Grier can find a way to bring one in next year.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Overall, with at least 6 of the top 100, and possibly 4 of the top 25 prospects in the whole nhl not to mention several other possibilities, it’s quite clear that we will have at least 5-7 solid ELC guys in the nhl in the next 2-3 years, possibly even more if guys like Cagnoni, pohlcamp, Edstrom, bystedt or Chernyshov make a good run. With that many major contributors paid 1m or less along with cheap 4th liners, Grier has a 1/2 of his team for practically free.

He has so much flexibility and so much most to spend on quality players that he can take a swing on a Patric laine with practically no risk.

I suppose dumping karlsson, burns, hertl, and Meier reallly hurt the team in the ice, but the haul in picks and the flexibility on the cap has made the next 3-5 years quite interesting. I’ll be very very interested to see how Grier deploys the space. I sure hope it’s not on an army of overpaid depth guys. Toffoli was a good add. Now I hope it’s on guys like that even if they do overpay some….

The D is the key!

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That's how I see it. Thrun-Emberson developing into a good third pair would be nice. Easy enough to find those guys but at least we would have the spots locked down for the foreseeable future.

Mukh turning into a good partner to a true #1D we draft on the top pair.

Dickerson develops into a great #2D and we just need a partner for him on the second pair
I said it a couple months ago, but Thrun-Emberson in a year or so is a legit playoff team 3rd pairing even at the level they were at this past year. If we get improvement from one or both, even better.

I think we need a 1st rounder on a RHD this coming year and then need to find our Dougie Hamilton contract guy on the right side like NJD did. Granted, we're not a sought after destination like NJD was for Hamilton, but we have money to toss around. Issue is that there doesn't project to be a guy of that caliber hitting the market anytime soon.

Did a quick filter on RHD 26 and under (i.e. guys that will be 27-28 when we're potentially handing out big deals in a year or two) and it's scarce. Only 26 of those played NHL games last year, and of that group Emberson was 12th in PPG (speaking to how scarce/not great that group is right now).

Guy that I would really like to acquire that hasn't been brought up is William Borgen. Think he has good 2nd pairing ability if not used in a heavy DZ start role like he has been in Seattle the last two years (which hurt some of his shot attempt numbers). 6'3, good skater, RH, and puts up 20/25 points in back to back years with a combined 8.5 mins of PP time (on a team that was 29th in goals this past year (much better in 2022-23 admittedly). Would prefer him over Fabbro if a deal was there to be made.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad