Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I mean if the Rangers have designs on playing Rempe regularly, and Rempe is going to fight, then it stands to reason he could benefit from some on-ice instruction from one of the best out there. There are plenty of tough guys out there but some of them really suck at fighting. When guys really square up, there's definitely technique involved.

If this was all he was doing all summer it would be a problem, but I think it's silly to criticize him for spending a day or two learning how to better protect himself during the fights that you know he'll be a part of. I'm not a big Rempe guy but this is much ado about nothing.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So 95% didnt offer him a 13M contract. Seems like isles tried over overpay him, rangers also overpaid for him since most of league wasnt offering him almsot 12M.

He was overpaid. Almost 15% of our cap at the time. Crazy some doesn’t think he was overpaid. Who cares it someone tried to pay more, all they did was try to overpay him even more.

Nice spin, but it doesn't change.

Panarin is the 4th leading points producing player the last 5 seasons.

His salary is fine

Reactions: RGY and kovazub94

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
It's impossible that he's also working on other skills or for two things to occur over any period of time, you're right. Can't imagine he would play into being a tough guy on hyper-curated content-pushing social media of all places.

The difference is other skills are hockey skills that help teams win games not sideshow acts. That hour (or week with Laraque?) could be better spent doing other things. A good first step would be to work on being able to turn quicker than an 18 wheeler.

Reactions: Ail

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I mean if the Rangers have designs on playing Rempe regularly, and Rempe is going to fight, then it stands to reason he could benefit from some on-ice instruction from one of the best out there. There are plenty of tough guys out there but some of them really suck at fighting. When guys really square up, there's definitely technique involved.

If this was all he was doing all summer it would be a problem, but I think it's silly to criticize him for spending a day or two learning how to better protect himself during the fights that you know he'll be a part of. I'm not a big Rempe guy but this is much ado about nothing.

Just wait until he joins a summer softball league

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The difference is other skills are hockey skills that help teams win games not sideshow acts. That hour (or week with Laraque?) could be better spent doing other things. A good first step would be to work on being able to turn quicker than an 18 wheeler.

I really find this funny. You have no idea what he has been doing his entire summer but Laraque posts a video of a camp in which he is also helping Rempe with a skill that is still a part of the league and we're ripping him apart? By all indications, this kid works very hard and has to get to the point he has. He made the NHL as a 21 year old and clearly had an effect on most games he played in. Why so sour?

How do you know he isn't doing this ON TOP OF working on all of those other things?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
He’s right there, too in salary. 3rd or 4th among forwards. It tracks.

It's interesting that according to Front Office Sports, in terms of actual compensation, Panarin was tied for 17th in the NHL last season.

3rd highest cap hit, but barely over Karlsson and Pasta

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Yea, it's still very early in the summer. Most guys are vacationing, enjoying booze, etc right now. So I think of this as him opting to work on his fighting rather than getting drunk & partying, not working on his fighting rather than training other hockey skills. In all his interviews whenever he was asked about the fans chanting his name he just said he "doesn't want to let them down" and he said that he isn't at all satisfied with a single aspect of his game and that he has a ton of work to do on every facet of his game. He also aid he's taking pilates classes this summer, it seems like he's going to be putting in a lot of work

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I really find this funny. You have no idea what he has been doing his entire summer but Laraque posts a video of a camp in which he is also helping Rempe with a skill that is still a part of the league and we're ripping him apart? By all indications, this kid works very hard and has to get to the point he has. He made the NHL as a 21 year old and clearly had an effect on most games he played in. Why so sour?

How do you know he isn't doing this ON TOP OF working on all of those other things?

There are so many hours in a day and you cannot work on things simultaneously. He also needs rest. If he spends an hour or two working on his fighting he cannot go straight into working on skating or other skills after.

It's also irrelevant. The thing he is working on has nothing to do with playing hockey. It's essentially the same as if he were learning to play guitar. It's not a "skill" that's part of the league. Its a pointless act that is part of the league. If he wants to work on his physical play how about working with someone to learn how to give clean, hard, hits without taking a penalty and without taking himself out of the play?

Laraque also said he's training with him THIS WEEK so he's spending a whole week of his offseason in Edmonton working on his fighting?

• Haha
Reactions: kovazub94

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He’s right there, too in salary. 3rd or 4th among forwards. It tracks.
Not when the real games start.

And once again we are talking about his salary when he was signed 3-4 years ago. Not now with the cap 10-12M higher. He was overpaid then.

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Rempe should probably be working on, ya know, being an NHL player and the skills associated with that

As opposed to fighting

But at least he’s self aware that he’s a sideshow.
I'm sure he's going to work on EVERYTHING. Not sure why him spending a little time with Georges in early July learning how not to get hit in the face so much is making people think that's all he's working on...

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There are so many hours in a day and you cannot work on things simultaneously. He also needs rest. If he spends an hour or two working on his fighting he cannot go straight into working on skating or other skills after.

It's also irrelevant. The thing he is working on has nothing to do with playing hockey. It's essentially the same as if he were learning to play guitar. It's not a "skill" that's part of the league. Its a pointless act that is part of the league. If he wants to work on his physical play how about working with someone to learn how to give clean, hard, hits without taking a penalty and without taking himself out of the play?

Laraque also said he's training with him THIS WEEK so he's spending a whole week of his offseason in Edmonton working on his fighting?
"Next week" I'm going Philadelphia. Just Monday and Tuesday. "September" I'm going to Phoenix. Four days plus a travel day. Not the whole month. "This week" could mean so many things. :laugh:

Also, Rempe is not the best fighter. He leaves himself open a lot. Guys get injured fighting. Practicing with Laraque, I'm sure he'll learn how to better defend himself instead of eating punches the whole fight. Defending yourself is just as important inflicting damage on the other guy.

Again, I think the whole thing is kind of silly, but this is all really...nothing.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Why can't he be working on both? This is like saying a guy who needs to learn to skate better and use his edges better should be on the ice for 15 hours a day. Could they work on that for an hour and then hit the gym for an hour? Could they also work on their shot? What about stickhandling?

Fighting is a skill. It needs to be worked on and refined just like any other.
f***ing THANK YOU.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
He’s not an NHL player, but at least he’ll have some social media buzz.

I mean, he's a 22 year old kid. I think people overlook how decent he looked forechecking and cycling. He's a big goof, but he can definitely carve out a career on the 4th line doing what he did for us this year.

In the end I don't think he's as bad a player as people make him out to be. He's also not as good as others (I'm looking at you, Ed) make pretend he is. I'm indifferent about him. I do like how he completely pisses off the other team when he's out there doing his thing. I also think he's impact will continue to be neutered by the zebras.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Nice spin, but it doesn't change.

Panarin is the 4th leading points producing player the last 5 seasons.

His salary is fine

Yeah if we want to focus strictly on regular season production, he's right there.

Lets look at the top 10 players in RS production over the last 5 years (Panarin's time as a Ranger) and see how they've performed in the playoffs relative to their RS production. I'll save everyone (and myself) the trouble and just flat out tell you that both McDavid, Draisaitl and MacKinnon(1 2 and 3 on the RS list) produce at a higher rate in the playoffs than they do in the regular season - Those guys are the elite of the elite and it carries over even more so when the chips are down.

Panarin - 1.32 PPG to .76 ( -0.56 PPG)
Matthews - 1.27 to .98 (- 0.29 PPG)
Pastrnak - 1.25 to .92 (- 0.33 PPG)
Marner - 1.24 to .78 (- 0.46 PPG)
Kucherov - 1.48 to 1.29 (-0.19 PPG)
Rantanen - 1.23 to 1.32 (+0.09 PPG)
Tkachuk - 1.10 to .94 (-0.16 PPG)

Panarin's drop of is more drastic than everyone else and even taking the drop off out of consideration, he's been a substantially weaker producer than everyone else in the top 10 outside of Marner who is within range. The same Marner who has been getting destroyed left and right by the media/fans.

Mika has gotten way more heat than Panarin (and I'm not saying that he should be shielded from it, he shouldn't) but in the last 5 years - 1.03 to 1.00 (-.03 PPG)

We could push this exercise to the top 20 and it wouldn't change a thing. Even if we went to just raw ppg, he'd be 20th out of 20. Not something you want our of the 4th highest paid player in the league.

Big paychecks bring big expectations and playoff performance matters. He's fallen short there by a lot and is one of the biggest reasons this team hasn't been able to get over the hump.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I was talking about his playoff overall. His numbers are not great. He needs to dominate games, he does in the regular season. He’s known as a playoff ghost for a reason.
Playoffs games are harder to score in than regular season in general because of the style of play. Look at the PPG numbers for most players during regular season and playoffs. He scored at nearly a PPG rate. He had 1 bad playoffs which was last year with only 2 assists in 7 games. Take last year out and he has been productive with 59 points in 66 playoff games. He's not McDavid but It's not as bad as you and others make it seem.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Pasternak and Kucherov drew Barkov. Panarin didn't.

Draisaitl played with broken ribs and a broken hand (finger? I forget.)

Panarin was healthy and grossly outplayed by his linemates and it wasn't because he was smothered and opened up space for the other 2. It was because they were willing to go to areas that he wasn't and in lafs case, able to make things happen by himself.

If 15 in 16 is the best we can expect out of a guy who just had a 120 point season, the money was poorly spent. He's been one of the worst playoff performers ever as a Ranger. The only difference between this year and 2022 was that he had a great series against Carolina. Aside from that it was the same underwhelming act that we saw 2 years ago. Better than last year's shit show, but not enough from a guy who makes 11.6.
Dude I wouldn't expect anything less from you given your avatar. You were crying about him after 2 games in the playoffs LOL. Oh so everybody else has an excuse because the didn't score. Got it. Panarin was smothered every time he had the puck and it was quite apparent that Florida was not going to let him have much space. You will look at every reason possible to shit on the guy.

Reactions: kovazub94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Dude I wouldn't expect anything less from you given your avatar. You were crying about him after 2 games in the playoffs LOL. Oh so everybody else has an excuse because the didn't score. Got it. Panarin was smothered every time he had the puck and it was quite apparent that Florida was not going to let him have much space. You will look at every reason possible to shit on the guy.

Where did I make excuses for anyone else? LOL.

The numbers don't lie and you can f***ing miss me with the "HE WAS COVERED" bs. I watched the games, he fed into exactly what Florida was trying to get him to do because he flat out refused to do change things up. He didn't open up space for anyone else, had he done that his line mates would have done even more and he himself would have been more productive even if by accident.

The dude is the 4th highest paid player in the league and the highest paid player on the team. I'm sorry if it bothers you that I have higher expectations for him than I do for other players, you should too!

It doesn't absolve other players who also didn't perform but if you're going to cut him slack, you should be willing to cut some of those other guys slack too (especially, Mika/Kreider for Florida because you know, they actually drew Barkov who did do a number on everyone he was matched up against, including McDavid who did most of his damage against Florida away from Barkov.)

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I still don't understand why we haven't any of those 1 year, $900,000 type deals for depth. We don't have a 7D. We got a few guys in the top 6 that can be expected to miss games. Where's our depth and what are we waiting for? Every day I see a few of these types signing and we haven't done anything. This is the type of off season we expected last year but we found a way with the cheap contracts. Nothing this year.
He signed Smith and Carrick. The bottom 6 really doesn't need any more depth with a lot of internal guys on ELC's in the mix. I think we are better in that regard than last year tbh. It's also July 9 so they could still work out something to add to the D.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Where did I make excuses for anyone else? LOL.

The numbers don't lie and you can f***ing miss me with the "HE WAS COVERED" bs. I watched the games, he fed into exactly what Florida was trying to get him to do because he flat out refused to do change things up. He didn't open up space for anyone else, had he done that his line mates would have done even more and he himself would have been more productive even if by accident.

The dude is the 4th highest paid player in the league and the highest paid player on the team. I'm sorry if it bothers you that I have higher expectations for him than I do for other players, you should too!

It doesn't absolve other players who also didn't perform but if you're going to cut him slack, you should be willing to cut some of those other guys slack too (especially, Mika/Kreider for Florida because you know, they actually drew Barkov who did do a number on everyone he was matched up against, including McDavid who did most of his damage against Florida away from Barkov.)
You hate the guy admit it. It's pretty obvious. 15 points in 16 games this year and 61 in 73 in his career is not nothing and you can cry about it forever for all I care. I don't bitch about players constantly in case you haven't noticed. I understand who Mika and Kreider were playing against. I also have said that the reason they lost was mainly because of the defense and getting pinned in their own zone for long stretches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad