KHL implementing new OT rule regarding skating puck back into own zone, Should NHL Follow Suit?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Can they pass it back into their own zone?

I think the rule only makes sense if you have already gained the offensive zone. If you pick the puck up between the blue line and red line you should be allowed to carry it back to your side of the ice.
Just no this is why I personally hate 3 on 3 OT it's not "real" hockey to me.

There should be an over and back rule like in basketball to encourage pace, if they insist on keeping the 3 on 3 action.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I agree with this.

There's some nuance to this that I think makes it difficult. It will have to be at the referee's discretion just like icing and faceoff violations.

If a dman is retreating with the puck because of active pressure...what's the expectation there? Are they allowed the cross the red line or do they have to dump or give it up or...?

And if you make a pass from the far blueline to just past the redline but you have no play and are under pressure...what then? Or you're in your offensive zone, you throw it up the boards hoping for the pointman but he misses and it trickles down the ice past the blue line and red line. I mean, I think the idea is "the player can't casually carry the puck back over the red line" but when you start thinking through some scenarios, again, you discover a lot of nuance.

I get the idea and what they are trying to eliminate, though. We all know the issue, we've all been frustrated at some point, but developing strict rules that have to apply over a broad spectrum of fluid gameplay is tough. Unless you want to implement a VERY strict rule - once past the red line, you can't carry or pass it or "possess" it back over. Otherwise, it's a whistle and then a DoG penalty. Then you throw every nuance into the bag of "well tough shit". That would also be fine, lol.
The point is that it creates more pressure for the carrying team so that turnovers happen more. Everything you're discussing isn't a flaw of the rule... it's a feature.

If someone is getting hounded near the redline while they have the puck, it will likely result in a turnover or a high risk pass.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The point is that it creates more pressure for the carrying team so that turnovers happen more. Everything you're discussing isn't a flaw of the rule... it's a feature.

If someone is getting hounded near the redline while they have the puck, it will likely result in a turnover or a high risk pass.
I think that's what I was questioning - is this a hard and fast rule, or is this a discretionary rule? Off-sides is hard and fast, high-sticking is a discretionary rule, and icing is generally hard and fast, but when there are races to the puck between two opposing players, it becomes a discretionary rule.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
1000% yes. Absolutely, no question about it.

The constant over-and back in the neutral zone to recycle possession is horribly boring and frustrating to watch. 3 on 3 is a gimmick and the merits of gimmicks deciding games are entirely up for debate. But if games are going to be decided by gimmicks, make those gimmicks FUN TO WATCH. Turnovers and the back-and-forth insanity of 3 on 3 are great fun, so emphasize that. Watching NHL stars play keep away with an entire ice surface is beyond boring.
All of this whining about "gimmicks" again. Are 5 on 3's gimmicks too ?

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Defensive coaches are going to be all over this. I give it a short shelf life before the next problem arises like as a defensive zone trap.

The solution should be that once you cross the blue line you are not allowed to line change until there is a change of possession. A team can circle back as much as they want but all it will do is make them vulnerable to an attack as their legs fade.

If one player fades due to a burst of energy, the whole line is taken down with him and all of a sudden what was a nearly unlimited offensive possession becomes a transition to a defensive strategy and an evening out of possession time in OT.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
Yes please.

It seems like if 3v3 OT doesnt end right away on some miscue, teams just cycle cycle cycle to try and setup the perfect play for 4 minutes and that's not really what OT is meant for. Just please end it so we can go to bed. Yay my loser team gets a point anyway...

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The new coaching strategy…

They’ll just do a regroup in their own zone for 4 minutes then go on a attack for the last minute of the OT

• Love
Reactions: missionAvs

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's obviously an experiment, if it works it will be implemented in the big league. And I doubt NHL will follow the rule, because it hates to use ideas invented in other leagues let alone KHL...
I would not be so strict. Look, the NHL copied the puck and player tracking technology from the KHL, like the other European leagues did.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
The new coaching strategy…

They’ll just do a regroup in their own zone for 4 minutes then go on a attack for the last minute of the OT

I propose a rule change to 3v3 OT that they can only move the puck laterally or behind them similar to rugby. A pass forward results in a 2 minute minor and it goes to 3v2. Thoughts?

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I propose a rule change to 3v3 OT that they can only move the puck laterally or behind them similar to rugby. A pass forward results in a 2 minute minor and it goes to 3v2. Thoughts?
Better yet, make a rule change where they’re only allowed to do the Flying V in OT
IMG_2944.gif

Reactions: missionAvs

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I wonder how much of a change we'd really see. There would certainly be a bit of a change, but they will still be able to "regroup" like they currently do, just don't go past the red line. So a bit of the extra space is taken away, but concept can still exist.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Fans of teams with bad puck possession: yayyyyyy

Fans of teams with great puck possession: booooooo
Team wins faceoff.

Team passes it for 40 seconds
Team leaves zone
Team slowly replaces players
Team continues to pass 40 seconds
Team slowly replaces players.

As a viewer I watch sports for fun. They are selling entertainment. OT makes me sleep.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Team wins faceoff.

Team passes it for 40 seconds
Team leaves zone
Team slowly replaces players
Team continues to pass 40 seconds
Team slowly replaces players.

As a viewer I watch sports for fun. They are selling entertainment. OT makes me sleep.
Ok but I was just joking around

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah I would really like this rule to happen. Would be alot harder to get to a shootout. Also, another thing i would like them to change is, when your on a penalty kill you can't bring or pass the puck back behind your own blueline, just too beer league to me. You take possession, and then softly dump it into a corner, not pass/pass/pass back to your d-man who skates around his own goalie, then fires it all the way back down the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad