KHL implementing new OT rule regarding skating puck back into own zone, Should NHL Follow Suit?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Absolutely, if nothing other than a homer reasoning because the Leafs have never figured out that long possession is more important than a singular dash to the net

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Can they pass it back into their own zone?

I think the rule only makes sense if you have already gained the offensive zone. If you pick the puck up between the blue line and red line you should be allowed to carry it back to your side of the ice.
Yeah, I agree. I think not allowing a backwards motion with the puck into their zone only works if you get through the neutral zone and enter the o-zone. Their half of the ice makes it sound like ihe zones are just broken down to 2. This only works if the rule is to break the blue line with the puck.

Maybe it should be broken down that you can't pass from inside the blue line to outside the red line when you enter the zone, and you can't skate from inside the blue line to outside the redline. Because I see scenarios where you might grab a lose puck that left the blueline and then skate it out of the redline. Definitely need clarification.

Also - passing it back better not be allowed.

nofehr

Dec 17, 2012
Something should definitely be done. Happy that some other leagues are getting it implemented to see how it works out and see if there are too many unintended consequences

The one issue I see with this rule is that IMO the team will take even more time to go over the red line. They are going to make sure they have a play so it might not be as good as people think it will be.It works in the NBA because they only have 24 secs to take a shot so they need to get across center line quickly. Hockey will not have this restriction.
I agree with both of these. I'm glad it's happening in another league so they can work out the kinks. A rule like this *should* make things better, but will it?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Translation:

Teams to hold the puck behind their net and in their zone waiting for perfect breakout and throwing it back at red line when it’s not there (which is frequently).

If you’re gonna implement a rule like that you need to also force teams to gain the redline, imo.

Idk

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Let’s take the goalies stick away also. The game is fine…. time to stop tinkering with it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can they pass it back into their own zone?

I think the rule only makes sense if you have already gained the offensive zone. If you pick the puck up between the blue line and red line you should be allowed to carry it back to your side of the ice.
I'd say no. You're just going to get a ton of passes back to the goalie that accomplish the same thing.

Agree about gaining the offensive zone.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I think if you are going up ice and are presented a brick wall and now you have less than a quarter of the ice surface to wiggle through gain the offensive zone you are gonna see lots of dump and chase and what little appeal of 3 on 3 there is is gonna be lost.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
The one issue I see with this rule is that IMO the team will take even more time to go over the red line. They are going to make sure they have a play so it might not be as good as people think it will be.It works in the NBA because they only have 24 secs to take a shot so they need to get across center line quickly. Hockey will not have this restriction.
This is precisely what would happen. Guys will just stay on their side of the ice until there is a clear break.

There should just be a shot clock in overtime. That would resolve all of these issues in one simple rule. A 45-second shot clock or you lose possession.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
This is precisely what would happen. Guys will just stay on their side of the ice until there is a clear break.

There should just be a shot clock in overtime. That would resolve all of these issues in one simple rule. A 45-second shot clock or you lose possession.

How do they implement that? Have a new puck drop from above like in bubble hockey...and an official goes to retrieve the old one? ;)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Really doesn’t matter because whoever has possession controls the ot. Rule changes like this won’t change much. It’s still 3 on 3 with too much open ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad