Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Disagree. Barkov's 8x80 was exactly where he should've been in 2021 if not a little high. Let's keep in mind this was a post covid contract. Both of the contracts you're referencing above are pre covid.

I'll give you Tkachuk but that's a wash with Fox who is also signed below market. Darnell Nurse comes to mind.
I think when it comes to "market value", we tend to look at few of the examples where teams have handed out bigger contracts and say "that's the new market value for a player of that caliber", when in fact they are mostly outliers.

Not so much that Tkachuk and Barkov are under value, but Panarin and Tavares were overvalue.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
He will sign 12.5x8, be the first 100m goalie, people will complain and then sorta move on.
12.5 x8 would make me vomit, post on here 5 mins after that this is insane, give me nightmares of the Hank years, and imo will seal the deal on the Rangers NOT winning a cup for another decade.

But yeah, we'll all eat that shit sammy in one way or another.

Not a penny over 10.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Drury will have the same important negotiating factor of having ability to offer that 8th year that other teams won’t. Let’s say other teams will be able to go $12.5m for a max 7-year contract. That’s $88m rounded. The Rangers can give him this amount for $11m AAV over 8 years. This would reminisce of how Yzerman got Stamkos to return after exploring UFA market options the last time (minus state tax advantage).

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
To be completely fair, even though Shesh contract will start 1 year earlier (age wise), he should not get much more then Hellebuyck (7 years $8.5M). Hellebuyck arguably has the better resume with 2 Vezina trophies.

Reactions: Circus86

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
And we won’t win a Cup for at least another 8 years.
1-2 guys who exceed expectations or clutch role players will be the determining factor if the Rangers can win a Cup during Shesterkin's next contract.

We're going to start finding out this year about Drury's picks. I didn't like this draft, but it means nothing if 2/4 of those guys become important role players. Case in point the NY football Giants 2007 draft (Smith, Bradshaw, Boss, Ross, Deossie, Alford, etc.).

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You can't cherry pick what's irrelevant or revenant

There is a 3rd option which is Detroit wanted him if they could also cap dump and player or players, hence the multiple reports that NYR would have to take back holl and planned to buy him out as part of the trade

What is interesting now is that with lindgren filing for arb nyr "could" buyout trouba, although I highly doubt they do it at this point. There aren't options out there for them to sign at this point and but trade assets are extremely thin
That’s not cherry picking. It’s universal. As far as a contract goes, what becomes convenient or inconvenient to either party is irrelevant to the the other party. It’s the very reason a contract is signed. And it goes both ways. What has become inconvenient to NYR, the fact that Trouba is underperforming, is irrelevant to Trouba and his desire to stay. It’s the very antithesis of cherry picking.
As far as Detroit, COULD BE. But since NYR primary goal is to free cap, why would they even be exploring that deal if it’s a cap dump for DET? Doesn’t make sense to me. Trouba is still an NHL Dman, he’s just too expensive for 3rd pair like he would be here. But who knows? Sometimes teams make deals that baffle me. Hahaha.
I’d agree a buyout is unlikely. If they can’t trade him, it’s less painful to just restrict his minutes and hope his injury is what made him look like trash in the playoffs. But it’s one of six options: trade, waive and claimed, waive and Hartford, waive and reinstate with NYR, just keep him on roster, buy out. I think two most likely are trade or just keep him on roster. But as I said above, sometimes teams baffle me. Hahahaha.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Rangers tax, perception, and playing in The Peg vs. New York.
I don't buy this. Winnipeg should be the ones overpaying to keep guys from leaving. That market is the least popular with all NHL players in every poll I've read when players are asked about it. Plus Canadian taxes are higher than NYC taxes, without mentioning how NYC is among the most desirable places to play.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don't buy this. Winnipeg should be the ones overpaying to keep guys from leaving. That market is the least popular with all NHL players in every poll I've read when players are asked about it. Plus Canadian taxes are higher than NYC taxes, without mentioning how NYC is among the most desirable places to play.
Why do the Rangers always pay more for less then? Other than Panarin.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Drury will have the same important negotiating factor of having ability to offer that 8th year that other teams won’t. Let’s say other teams will be able to go $12.5m for a max 7-year contract. That’s $88m rounded. The Rangers can give him this amount for $11m AAV over 8 years. This would reminisce of how Yzerman got Stamkos to return after exploring UFA market options the last time (minus state tax advantage).
Looking at total value is kind of pointless. He can invest that 1.5 extra over 7 years and have a hell of a lot more $ than 11m in the 8th year

Reactions: kovazub94

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Trouba’s personal preferences are absolutely NOT the Rangers problem and I have never suggested that NYR do anything that was not within their contractual rights. And neither has anyone else. So I’m not sure what your issue is there. As far as moving Trouba, it is within their rights to trade him to any team not on his 15 team no trade list, or waive him/assign him to Hartford. How easy or hard this would be on his family is NOT the NYR’s problem. And obviously Trouba feels that him exercising HIS contractual rights making things hard for NYRs is not HIS problem… Goes both ways buddy.
You can question what any of us would do in Trouba’s shoes but it’s irrelevant as to what rights he has or what rights the NYRs have.
Honestly, I have no issue with what either "side" has done or anyone on the boards who takes one side. It is a business; players, management, and fans know that. I just felt the need to defend Trouba for being a family man first, a hockey player second, and a Ranger third. As fans, we tend to put our own loyalties first. Players come and go, yet we fans stick around, year after year, decade after decade. This is an unfortunate situation for everyone involved. In an odd way, during the season, players become part of my "extended family." I care about them not just as players but as people. Players might be genetically gifted in ways that we mere "mortals" can only fantasize about. But when it comes to emotions and "everyday life" they are no different than any of us. Sure I understand that the Rangers must do what they think is best for the team. It is when fans criticize players for doing the same, that I have an issue. The whole Trouba saga, of a hockey player having a wife who is a doctor, of doing her residency in NYC, of structuring his career in a way that takes into account his wife's career is fascinating and has been a joy to watch. So again, no issue or problem with you or anyone else: we are all passionate about the team we love and want the best for them. I just felt that the conversation was one-sided and needed someone to defend Trouba who, despite his deteriorating play and the weight of his contract, is a player that I like.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I keep coming back here hoping for a move like a 7D or depth piece. The truth is the rest of Drury's summer is in this order:

1. Lindgren contract
2. Schneider contract
3. Trade market
4. Name a new day to day goalie coach
5. PTO for whoever is still out there

I wouldn't be surprised if Ruewedhl or Klingberg are in camp.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Rangers tax, perception, and playing in The Peg vs. New York.

You would think the Jets would have to pay more to keep him in there seeing almost no one wants to and the high Canadian taxes.

Another comparable is Sorokin. Sorokins is 1 year younger then Shesh when looking at when their new deals will kick in (29 vs 30). 8 years $8.25M AAV. Same taxes, crappier team.

When looking at those two deals, both signed recently, Shesh should not get more than $10M AAV. He's not $3M per year better then either Helly or Sorokin.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
You would think the Jets would have to pay more to keep him in there seeing almost no one wants to and the high Canadian taxes.

Another comparable is Sorokin. Sorokins is 1 year younger then Shesh when looking at when their new deals will kick in (29 vs 30). 8 years $8.25M AAV. Same taxes, crappier team.

When looking at those two deals, both signed recently, She's should not get more than $10M AAV. He's not $3M per year better then either Helly or Sorokin.
It's all about the timing, how close to UFA those guts were, and he's using Lundqvist as a measuring stick.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
When looking at those two deals, both signed recently, Shesh should not get more than $10M AAV. He's not $3M per year better then either Helly or Sorokin.
You can throw Saros into that mix as well. 7.75M, starting at the same time Shesty's new contract should kick in. Both born in 1995. And I think Saros belongs to that elite tier of NHL goalies, which includes like 6 or 7 goalies.

Shesty should not get above 10M, that's just not how the goalie market works. Bobrovsky is really an outlier, and how many years did people shit on that contract until the last two playoff runs?

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
It's all about the timing, how close to UFA those guts were, and he's using Lundqvist as a measuring stick.

Helly signed his extension during the last season of his final contract (will be same situation for Shesh). Sorokin signed his deal last summer ( same time period that Shesh is in now, Sorokin had 1 year left before his current contract ended).

I'm not comparing to Lundqvist or any deals signed 5 or more years ago. The goalie landscape has completely changed. Those two deals and a much lesser extent Saros should be the measuring stick.

8 years $10M AAV, Front load the deal for him so he gets most of his money if he doesn't make it to the end of the contract (age 38 season).

Anymore then that and the Rangers are hamstringing themselves moving forward.

You can throw Saros into that mix as well. 7.75M, starting at the same time Shesty's new contract should kick in. Both born in 1995. And I think Saros belongs to that elite tier of NHL goalies, which includes like 6 or 7 goalies.

Shesty should not get above 10M, that's just not how the goalie market works. Bobrovsky is really an outlier, and how many years did people shit on that contract until the last two playoff runs?

Agreed and Bob's contract was signed 5 years ago. As I stated in my post before this, the goalie landscape and how they are used/valued has changed dramatically since then.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Helly signed his extension during the last season of his final contract (will be same situation for Shesh). Sorokin signed his deal last summer ( same time period that Shesh is in now, Sorokin had 1 year left before his current contract ended).

I'm not comparing to Lundqvist or any deals signed 5 or more years ago. The goalie landscape has completely changed. Those two deals and a much lesser extent Saros should be the measuring stick.

8 years $10M AAV, Front load the deal for him so he gets most of his money if he doesn't make it to the end of the contract (age 38 season).

Anymore then that and the Rangers are hamstringing themselves moving forward.
Both Hellebucyk and Sorkin signed deals during the Covid-Cap Era. We're out of that now. That's why the Rangers are in the situation they're in.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Both Hellebucyk and Sorkin signed deals during the Covid-Cap Era. We're out of that now. That's why the Rangers are in the situation they're in.

Sorry thats not correct. Both Sorokin and Hellys extensions start this coming season. Sorokin signed his deal last summer and Helly signed his in October last year. Everyone new the flat cap was over starting this coming season

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Sorry thats not correct. Both Sorokin and Hellys extensions start this coming season. Sorokin signed his deal last summer and Helly signed his in October last year. Everyone new the flat cap was over starting this coming season
They still signed it before the flat cap ended which was this June. The timing. In the words of the great Thunderbolt Patterson, "if I only had the time, if I only....ooooooooh"

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
At some point you have to consider the city and cost of living. Other than Craig Patrick, what GM didn't overpay?
The cost of living is certainly an issue, but playing for a marquis franchise balances that out somewhat. Especially in the comparison of a market such as Winnipeg.

But bringing Redden & Holik, plus the MSL trade into your argument is proving my point, not yours.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad