Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
What kind of ish is this? I will only play if I'm guaranteed a spot in an NHL lineup?

I'm all for playing youth. But this is awfully ballsy for a guy who's never played an NHL or AHL game. From what I can find, he's never even played a preseason game.
It's a case of be who you can afford to be. He's a top prospect that will be stuck in an organization for the next decade once he signs a contract. This is that last time he's going to have any leverage for years. Why should he accept playing for some dinosaur that thinks you need 4 years in the AHL before you deserve a shot at 10 minutes a night on the 4th line?

Reactions: molon labe

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What kind of ish is this? I will only play if I'm guaranteed a spot in an NHL lineup?

I'm all for playing youth. But this is awfully ballsy for a guy who's never played an NHL or AHL game. From what I can find, he's never even played a preseason game.

The new NHL.

I'm fine with it. I'd force my way to a positive situation too if I was in Winnnipeg.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Is it entitled to want to pick your own team and situation? If you’re a young player and want to ensure career success, you may want a guarantee that you are going into the right situation with the right resources, coaching, etc to have the best development opportunities available.
It is entitled when he doesnt have the right to pick his team yet. Want to choose your team? Okay fine, wait till you're a FA in 2 years. Hes going around telling teams he will only play for them if he only plays in the NHL.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
On the one hand I can see how it's arrogant sure. On the other hand, considering how stupid and arrogant most head coaches are, I can't feel bad about teams getting a dose of their own medicine.

Reactions: Sideline

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
It is entitled when he doesnt have the right to pick his team yet. Want to choose your team? Okay fine, wait till you're a FA in 2 years. Hes going around telling teams he will only play for them if he only plays in the NHL.

He has the ability to do that with the NCAA clause.

If you want a top talent, given them a shot instead of burying them for Jansen Harkins.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I think the question is, can he back it up? Can he actually come into the NHL and play? If a team is confident that he can and the price is reasonable, I wouldn't hate a little attitude on this team.

That might stir a little fire in our pathetically vanilla bottom 6.

Bonus: Trade for Rutger and then add Sprong. Put them on the same line together. Then, hope that Howe makes it out of camp. Howe-McGroarty-Sprong. Call it the Tude-Dudes Line.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I disagree. Good on him for being his own advocate and trying to take control of his career. People do these kinds of things all the time in other industries. Two years is a long time, and at this point in his career, the most important two years for his development. If he believes he needs to play in the NHL to continue to develop, then he should push for that.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I disagree. Good on him for being his own advocate and trying to take control of his career. People do these kinds of things all the time in other industries. Two years is a long time, and at this point in his career, the most important two years for his development. If he believes he needs to play in the NHL to continue to develop, then he should push for that.
I think it narrows the empathy if he doesn't seize the opportunity though. The tolerance for failure will be much less and you'll make yourself look like a complete and total ass if you don't deliver. So it's not like there isn't risk on his side.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
The new NHL.

I'm fine with it. I'd force my way to a positive situation too if I was in Winnipeg.
Well, yeah, generally speaking, you have to understand him there.

But I'm not fine with it. I think it's arrogant and entitled.

I think the question is, can he back it up? Can he actually come into the NHL and play? If a team is confident that he can and the price is reasonable, I wouldn't hate a little attitude on this team.
The thing is, I believe he probably can. He's just coming across like a dick, and I don't appreciate that in anyone.

If he were to come out and say, "I don't want to play for Winnipeg because I don't think they're a good fit for my development," I don't think I'd have a problem. But for him to say he'll only play for a team that guarantees him an NHL roster spot is bad PR.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It’s definitely a shitty attitude, because based on what this kid could be, he’d likely be on one of our top lines before long, if not immediately.

Making a team guarantee you’ll be in the NHL and getting ice time is kinda f***ed up when you haven’t beaten anyone out yet.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'd roll the dice with Rutger if price was reasonable.

If you are good enough you are in. I'd your not you are stuck on the 4th line with minimal minutes.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
It’s definitely a shitty attitude, because based on what this kid could be, he’d likely be on one of our top lines before long, if not immediately.

Making a team guarantee you’ll be in the NHL and getting ice time is kinda f***ed up when you haven’t beaten anyone out yet.
I disagree and I’m surprised more prospects don’t do it. We act like Sullivan is the only one who does this but in general coaches don’t like playing unknown commodities.

If I’m a young player and know I have one shot at it I’m going to put myself in the best position to succeed. And that’s not grinding out on a 4th line to “earn it”.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I think the forward group is overcrowded already, BUT at 28 years old, Kase would lower the average age of the team, which is 30.9, so that IS, TECHNICALLY, moving toward the stated goal of getting younger.

We only can issue one more standard contract. I assume that we will probably sign someone with more certainty than Kase if we add anyone else.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think a lot of us are.
Would really love to have a bottom 6C cost controlled for years.
I think Pono could be real good. Probably the guy I’m most curious to see at camp/pre-season.
Really want to see Pono and Poulin go head to head. Want to see if Koivunen is the real deal and how close he is. Want to see Broz develop over a full season with WB/S. Want to see if Pickering, with all the weight he's packed on, looks like an NHL defenseman. Those are maybe the only non goalies I see coming in and making a real impact before the core retires.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Really want to see Pono and Poulin go head to head. Want to see if Koivunen is the real deal and how close he is. Want to see Broz develop over a full season with WB/S. Want to see if Pickering, with all the weight he's packed on, looks like an NHL defenseman. Those are maybe the only non goalies I see coming in and making a real impact before the core retires.

I don't think there is a lot of question about whether or not Pickering will be an NHL defenseman.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I think the forward group is overcrowded already, BUT at 28 years old, Kase would lower the average age of the team, which is 30.9, so that IS, TECHNICALLY, moving toward the stated goal of getting younger.

And Kase sucks. It’s a match made in purgatory.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Thats prooooobably true but given the roster we have, we need a horse trader like JR to swing a couple Scuds-Daley deals to get us back in contention.
I don't see this team being a few depth trades away. Jake at 6M is gone, with only 3.5M cap space left. Sid might get 80 points or w/e, which is around median 1C level these days. Geno regressing hard. Letang might not play like a #1 anymore next year. Would be no surprise at 37. I expect Karlsson and Petts to regress defensively from last year.
No ace goalie. Most importantly... washed and satisfied coach who's not going anywhere.
The foundation is too weak. Nothing about this situation tells me they can beat top teams in a best of 7 for 4 rounds. I wish they'd just stop procrastinating and start building a new foundation properly.
I honestly don’t get it. Nothing changes by having picks.
Depends on how many you get, in what rounds, and in what timeframe. Depends on the commitment level of ownership/GM.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
All owners gms and coaches are dickheads so I'd rather side with Mcgroaty here tbh. Good for him for using his leverage. Hope it works out

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
We can't really low ball the Jets either. Cause he was a 1st round pick, I think they get a 2nd round pick as compensation if he doesn't sign?

So it's not like we can get away with offering a late round pick

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I think it narrows the empathy if he doesn't seize the opportunity though. The tolerance for failure will be much less and you'll make yourself look like a complete and total ass if you don't deliver. So it's not like there isn't risk on his side.
For sure. I think that’s part of what you have to admire about this. He’s doubling down on himself. As long as there isn’t a question with work ethic, which I haven’t seen, I don’t have any issue with it.

Well, yeah, generally speaking, you have to understand him there.

But I'm not fine with it. I think it's arrogant and entitled.

The thing is, I believe he probably can. He's just coming across like a dick, and I don't appreciate that in anyone.

If he were to come out and say, "I don't want to play for Winnipeg because I don't think they're a good fit for my development," I don't think I'd have a problem. But for him to say he'll only play for a team that guarantees him an NHL roster spot is bad PR.
Is that what he said, or is that just an attention grabbing headliner during a boring part of the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad