Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Xhekaj was passed over twice in the draft. If a redraft was done...where would he be drafted? He is an NHLer and most after the first round never play in the NHL. Would he be a first round pick? 2nd round?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Players with his skill set don't come around very often. I am still blown away that he went undrafted two straight drafts.
I am thinking scouts said he was injured quite a bit, and kind sorta just got missed......
This was a nice find by MB or Timmins

Hughes once again let him down and failed to fufilled his whish of getting size and toughness.

Arber will, once again, have to do it alone.
As others have mentioned, it's mid July......the season is almost 3 months away.

Hard to be patient, I get it....

Reactions: windycity and Tyson

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
My guess is he gets the Harris bridge with a little inflation added. 2 years x $1.85M.

How many more RFA years does he have?
I think the time that it has taken with a fired agent and a new agent is, that they may have 2-3 different options and offers to mull over.
Thinking RFA status takes kids to the age of 27-28

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I think the time that it has taken with a fired agent and a new agent is, that they may have 2-3 different options and offers to mull over.
UFA status is 7 seasons (40+ NHL games in a season) or 27 years old and older by june 30th. So there's 4 more years of RFA status for Xhekaj. A 2-3 years contract would be perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
He’s in a Dach situation except his upside is 5-6 D + goon, not 2C.

Until he proves himself he’s a fringe nhl goon with busted shoulders.

I hope he signs a “show us” deal, rocks it and becomes a permanent 3rd LD, I love his type.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Xhekaj was passed over twice in the draft. If a redraft was done...where would he be drafted? He is an NHLer and most after the first round never play in the NHL. Would he be a first round pick? 2nd round?
he is ainec a 1st RD pick.

Rare are the players who can body check the best player of any teams like he does and the opposite team simply does not have any answer for it.

The hockey skills, although limited, is not bad but the intangibles here is extremely, extremely valuable. Its prime Lucic-like.

Reactions: Zilo44 and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
he is ainec a 1st RD pick.

Rare are the players who can body check the best player of any teams like he does and the opposite team simply does not have any answer for it.

The hockey skills, although limited, is not bad but the intangibles here is extremely, extremely valuable. Its prime Lucic-like.
Every GM in the league would trade a first round pick for him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Perhaps but just about every GM in the league would trade a first round pick for him.

A good comparable would be Romanov being traded for the 13th pick.

There's no doubt to me that Xhekaj is worth a first rounder.

Don't be surprised if his younger brother has the same kind of upwards trajectory. He's looked better than many of our past first rounders.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Some people want to trade Xhekaj, but if Habs trade him, in 2 years, the same some people will ask to acquire that type of guy lol
Not many people want to trade Arber....they want to trade the much better Kaiden Guhle lol :)

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think it was 7 years of RFA service (40 games kick starting it) or age 27. Whichever comes first.

But not sure if the latest CBA agreement changed any of that.

Xhekaj will end up having a better career than many of the touted defencemen taken in the first two rounds of the 2024 draft.

Xhekaj’s unexpected development proves the old adage that sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

He's a clear case of proving that it's difficult to draft kids at age 17/18 and know where they are at age 19-21.

* Some are on rocket upward development
* Some stall and never get better.
* Some mature later with their potential (like Xhekaj who went undrafted).

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think it was 7 years of RFA service (40 games kick starting it) or age 27. Whichever comes first.

But not sure if the latest CBA agreement changed any of that.

He's a clear case of proving that it's difficult to draft kids at age 17/18 and know where they are at age 19-21.

* Some are on rocket upward development
* Some stall and never get better.
* Some mature later with their potential (like Xhekaj who went undrafted).
As one of the senior managers of my organization once said ( I manage a large sport organization who’s mandate includes selecting, training and fielding elite level U18 teams in a range of team sports) the only thing certain in high level youth sport is the uncertainty of these athletes’ pace and level of development. If that wasn’t so, no professional team would ever ‘miss’ on a draft choice.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As one of the senior managers of my organization once said ( I manage a large sport organization who’s mandate includes selecting, training and fielding elite level U18 teams in a range of team sports) the only thing certain in high level youth sport is the uncertainty of these athletes’ pace and level of development. If that wasn’t so, no professional team would ever ‘miss’ on a draft choice.

Yup. I'm surprised at how many fans don't realize this. Scouts are like weathermen... 50% or more accuracy and they get a raise. Some are better at it than others yes, and that's why you see so many interviews and tough questions. They want to know as much information as possible.... beyond the stats/points.

What I do know is the ones who shine, are the ones who are obsessive at improving. Some kids think they are on par with others because they "train hard". While others who train hard don't have to be told to do it. They love it/enjoy it and it doesn't feel like a job.

Look at Slaf and Suzuki. Rink and gym rats and they show up well before practice and leave well after it. It's an obsession to them and they want to be among the best. I'm sure McDavid, Crosby, etc was like that too. Ask Sid's mom about her washer/dryer. haha.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yup. I'm surprised at how many fans don't realize this. Scouts are like weathermen... 50% or more accuracy and they get a raise. Some are better at it than others yes, and that's why you see so many interviews and tough questions. They want to know as much information as possible.... beyond the stats/points.

What I do know is the ones who shine, are the ones who are obsessive at improving. Some kids think they are on par with others because they "train hard". While others who train hard don't have to be told to do it. They love it/enjoy it and it doesn't feel like a job.

Look at Slaf and Suzuki. Rink and gym rats and they show up well before practice and leave well after it. It's an obsession to them and they want to be among the best. I'm sure McDavid, Crosby, etc was like that too. Ask Sid's mom about her washer/dryer. haha.
Guy Lafleur use to sleep with his skates on so he could skate as soon as the sun came up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad