Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Of course trading him is better but buying him out is still extremely valuable. He’s basically 8 million of dead salary cap for the next two years in cup or bust seasons. Even with just the scraps of FA left, a buyout still gives you 4 million for 1-2 players who can actually help the team
I guess that take is a bit extreme for me. I get where you are coming from. He's still an able bodied NHL defenseman. He can block and hit. He just takes up way too much cap for what he does and is generally perceived as "not what we need to win the cup." The cap is not good. The player is fine for getting us into the playoffs. He was second on the team in hits after Cuylle. 46th in the league. 19th among all defensemen. When we signed him, he had a career year with 50 points. I'm still waiting for that player to show up. Maybe this who NTC lights a fire under his ass.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Sure but what would make Trouba change his mind?
You tell him that he will be waived. Then you can choose to report to whoever picks you up, or you can report to Hartford. And if you don't, you can sit home suspended without salary.

I would think that would get him to give at least some options. But it would be an ugly look, and would probably not go down well in the locker room. But the Rangers still absolutely hold the hammer that they can drop in this saga.

He has negotiated clauses in his contract that he's using.
I would argue threatening to not report to an acquiring team (if that's what has happened behind the scenes) is not exactly a negotiated clause in his contract.

Then again, the Rangers kinda pulled the same shit on Goodrow, from the other side.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You tell him that he will be waived. Then you can choose to report to whoever picks you up, or you can report to Hartford. And if you don't, you can sit home suspended without salary.

I would think that would get him to give at least some options. But it would be an ugly look, and would probably not go down well in the locker room. But the Rangers still absolutely hold the hammer that they can drop in this saga.

I would argue threatening to not report to an acquiring team (if that's what has happened behind the scenes) is not exactly a negotiated clause in his contract.

Then again, the Rangers kinda pulled the same shit on Goodrow, from the other side.
Sure, but I have no problem with that either.

I wouldn't expect anybody to work for a company involuntarily. I'm not going to hold athletes to a different standard.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

How’s this different from him threatening teams that he won’t report if he stands by his words? What’s even worse from the Rangers perspective - they still carry about $7m of his cap as truly dead space, and I bet in this situation - Hartford is close enough to accommodate his family Trouba just bites his lip and does what’s necessary for his family playing for Wolfpack. The only real losers are Rangers FO with $7m cap hit and an egg on their collective faces.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011

I wouldn't expect anybody to work for a company involuntarily. I'm not going to hold athletes to a different standard.
True, but usually in that case those people don't get paid either.

I totally get why Trouba is doing this, and if I was him I would probably do the same. As a fan of the NYR, his personal issues are not mine though, and I can hope for a resolution that serves the NYR the best. Hypocrisy at it's finest, but it is what it is.

How’s this different from him threatening teams that he won’t report if he stands by his words? What’s even worse from the Rangers perspective - they still carry about $7m of his cap as truly dead space, and I bet in this situation - Hartford is close enough to accommodate his family Trouba just bites his lip and does what’s necessary for his family playing for Wolfpack. The only real losers are Rangers FO with $7m cap hit and an egg on their collective faces.
If Trouba would rather play in Hartford than for any NHL team, then sure. I don't really think he would go down there though.

Like I said, this is pretty much an extreme situation that I don't see happening anyway.

Reactions: Atax

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
I agree with your outlook but NHL players are like the 99.99999999999% stratosphere in the world. Things change. I know someone (not a pro athlete) that alwys thought he would feel he made it as a millionaire. Then he figured really he needed 2 mill. Now he doesn't feel 100% even at $4.2 mill. Thats probably how it is for some of these guys. Saquon Barkley got really upset over $1 mill last season despite making around $35 mill.
Oh I agree for the most part, that hyper competitiveness that drives them to be athletes also drives them to be upset over getting slightly less. There are some exceptions though, and there is a world where Trouba is one of them, especially given his strong desire to get to NY in the first place for his wife it's not the worst place to retire as a 30 year old millionaire... beats getting pucks launched at your broken ankle.

Ultimately I get the vibe that he's just going to remain on the team for the time being and perhaps evaluate a buyout next year. I'm sure the Isles, Devils or Flyers will give him a million or two to top up his buyout salary and bring some 'grit' to the room.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

It’s the same standard, ish. I expect people to do a hell of a lot more things “involuntarily” when there’s $8M/year on the table. Sports are the same but not really.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Yep, Hartford is a pipe dream. Accomplishes nothing except causing a lot of angst to everyone involved including the other players.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
We're just going to have to live with that our internal options will be the changes. Othmann, Berard, and Edstrom are the candidates to jump in. Jones full time is the other. Smith is a nice add to the middle of the lineup. Marries some of the things Wennberg and Roslovic bring.

The big thing now is do not go long term with Lindgren. Just get a 1 year deal and figure it out from there. We will need flexibility for next season when we have the big 3 contracts coming. Maybe he can still be flipped somewhere.

Jones is going to have to pass him on the depth chart. It shouldn't take long if he plays how he was when he was in there for an injured Lindgren and Trouba.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
At least I don't think Drury is going to keep Lindgren because he's a warrior. He's cut his own men Goodrow and Reaves against their wishes. I don't think he's blind to the fact that his franchise D needs a better partner. Some of this Trouba stuff is SOME improvement.

If this was 2007 Drury would be a genius but GMs have also gotten smarter. He's trying but so far, he hasn't been able to make an apple pie out of what he's got in the pantry.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
At least I don't think Drury is going to keep Lindgren because he's a warrior. He's cut his own men Goodrow and Reaves against their wishes. I don't think he's blind to the fact that his franchise D needs a better partner. Some of this Trouba stuff is SOME improvement.

If this was 2007 Drury would be a genius but GMs have also gotten smarter. He's trying but so far, he hasn't been able to make an apple pie out of what he's got in the pantry.
No, he's going to keep Lindgren because they're convinced it's the perfect pair.

Laviolette blew up the lineup before game 6 and that pair still survived. So did Kreider-Zibanejad.

The Rangers think they have gold in both cases.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
No, he's going to keep Lindgren because they're convinced it's the perfect pair.

Laviolette blew up the lineup before game 6 and that pair still survived. So did Kreider-Zibanejad.

The Rangers think they have gold in both cases.
I disagree. I think they know internally the same thing you and I know. I also think Lindgren is a gamer and his teammates(including superstar partner) just flat out love him. So it's a difficult bridge to cross, but it has to be crossed. I think honestly a smart hockey trade is probably the best path - politically in the locker room & from a hockey decision point of view.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree. I think they know internally the same thing you and I know. I also think Lindgren is a gamer and his teammates(including superstar partner) just flat out love him. So it's a difficult bridge to cross, but it has to be crossed. I think honestly a smart hockey trade is probably the best path - politically in the locker room & from a hockey decision point of view.
I hope you're right but I'm fully expecting a long-term extension at the first opportunity.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Trading Buchnevich not only created a hole that we still haven't filled, it also planted the seed in the organization's empty heads that this LW-C combination that just isn't very good sucks because the hole is there.
my god, Drury's first off season is so disastrous it's hard to fathom. Nemeth, Reaves, Goodrow, Zibanejad extension, Buchnevich, Blais. Probably missing something else as well. It set the franchise back for the next 10 years. He's tried to dig his way out of it but it's not looking great.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

eh, While they're being paid by the team, the athletes agree to be moved, because its in the CBA.
They're compensated for it.

They dont want to risk being moved during their career, then they shouldn't be playing professional sports. Its literally part of the agreement.

Now does it suck for the Trouba's that her residency was delayed? Absolutely! and I do understand their side of things. Doesn't mean they get to ignore the negatives when they've benefited from the positives.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I want him off the team for hockey reasons, but I have no issue with Trouba. He has negotiated clauses in his contract that he's using.

If the team doesn't like it, that's their fault. Smart people warned them that this guy wasn't it when he was on the Jets.

Having money makes uprooting your life easiER, but by no means easy.

I have respect for his wife too. He has enough money where she could lie on the couch the rest of her life. If anything ever happens to me, I want a doctor passionate about medicine, not somebody who got into it to make the most money.

But he didn't negotiate this clause in his contract. The clause ended before 7/1 of this year. Also, unless it's a health issue I give zero shits about his personal life. I care about winning the Stanley Cup. This may sound cold but does anyone here think Trouba or his wife give two shits about THEIR personal life. If you told me his wife was sick I would be sympathetic. This, I'm sorry I give zero shits about.

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
my god, Drury's first off season is so disastrous it's hard to fathom. Nemeth, Reaves, Goodrow, Zibanejad extension, Buchnevich, Blais. Probably missing something else as well. It set the franchise back for the next 10 years. He's tried to dig his way out of it but it's not looking great.

Traded Cup winner Brett Howden.

• Haha
Reactions: Boris Zubov and Tob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad