Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Lysell has a lot of skill - he’s not going to be just watching and trying to live off linemates

If he was a left shot he would be a potential killer with Pastrnak but I would give him reps with Coyle & Marchand

Poitras I can see down the line but not now

With Coyle & Marchand I think this could be good
Poitras would work very well with Freddy and Geekie flanking him IMO. Marchand-Coyle-Lysell would have the makings of a very good line provided he buys in, I like your thinking

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
And also injecting some youth and providing a path for their prospects to shoot for.
100% and that cannot be understated. Thats how teams stay good for a long time. Lets you keep your picks instead of trading to fill holes. Good also to not clog up spots like Detroit does with their array of horrible deals forward and defense wise.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Poitras would work very well with Freddy and Geekie flanking him IMO. Marchand-Coyle-Lysell would have the makings of a very good line provided he buys in, I like your thinking
Brazzeau I thought played very well be interesting where he goes he could be good with Poitras as well

If Poitras & Lysell are legit top 9 the league might as well just accept the demise they been waiting aint coming any time soon

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
0.0 chance there are ten teams better than Boston right now.

Ten is a stretch but it also depends if you're looking at it as paper better or real-world better. I would not object to the following teams being considered better on paper than the Bruins right now: Panthers, Oilers, Avs, Stars, Rangers and quite possibly the Preds off the back of their big free agency splash. I still really like the look of the Canucks as well and it's weird to me how big their odds are. Then I'd have the Bruins in the mix with the Knights, Devils, Canes, Leafs, Bolts and Kings. So back end of the top 10 I guess.

But Boston has outperformed their paper strength two years in a row and I see no reason why they can't do so again and be right up there battling for the top 5 spots on the league table. At present I don't see them as really serious Cup contenders, but as is usually the case they're not miles away and we wait and see how things progress over the course of the season.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Among pairings who played 300 minutes together, McAvoy-Lindholm were 6th for xGF%. And that was with a terrible offensive side. They were a ridiculous shutdown pair - 3rd in the league in xGA/60. Better than Heiskanen-Harley. Better than Forsling-Ekblad.

Yeah they're good. Even say great if you want. But the comment was 'best in league', and that's what I disagree with.

I think on the whole though they're mostly better being kept apart. In this regard I suspect Monty will carry on much as he has so far - he'll occasionally put them together when he's really looking for a change up to inject some offense and get the puck moving our way, but Lindy will mostly stick with Carlo while McAvoy sees a lot more time with Zadorov and Lohrei.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I'm expecting better things next year 100%. 3rd round playoffs would make me happy. I think our D core will thrive and chuckie realizes more potential knowing he does not have to do everything, Sway will thrive with a bigger workload, E. Lindhom will stabilize our first line and important D zone faceoffs. Most importantly we are going to a menace to play against due to added toughness which on it's on merit is worth the price of admission. I am all for giving Lysell a chance to replace JDBs production if Lysell has a good showing in camp. If not. we will find a guy ..not that concerned.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Gretzky, Lemieux and especially Howe don't have trophies named after them.

It's no big deal.
But, they have things....

Howe has a trick named after him. Mr. Hockey.

Its Wayne's office (and record book). The great one.

I'm not sure what Lemieux has named after him. All I can think about is that crazy game he scored 5 different ways which should have also been a trick of some type. Maybe there is a francophone folk reference about Mario I'm unaware of. He was Le Magnifique. Super Mario.

Orr was famous for many things but the end to end rush with a goal was the thing. And its often when his memory is evoked in broadcast today or when a D man spins 180 degrees off the blueline to keep the puck in the offensive zone and escape a checker. But he's not really immortalized, no nick name, no thing, no play and no trophy. Sinden called him The Godfather and that didn't stick. Its a Savardian Spinorama. All I've ever heard is he "pulled an Orr" and went end to end. Pulled...an Orr...and sadly, whenever a career is cut short they reference Bob.

No...it is important. If the NHL creates another award to distinguish the offensive defenseman and its not in recognition of Orr that would be a a kick in the pills despite what the purest and distractors might say. I don't care. It would just be wrong.

Reactions: sarge88 and Gordoff

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
My guess for the oct 8

Zacha Lindholm Pasta
Marchy Coyle Frederic
Jones Poitras Geekie
Beecher Kastelic Brazeau
Kuntar

Zadorov McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Lohrei Peeke
Wotherspoon

Sway
Bussi

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice to see you have a sense of humour. :thumbu: Some posters on this site take things waaaaaaay too seriously.
I would like to add here that I was mainly referring to posters from other sections on this board. I honestly find most of the people here in the Bruins section to be fairly level headed........unless we just lost a game to Montreal or Toronto. :nod:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sure - but McAvoy Grzlyeck is up around 53% too, and only Chabot/ Chychrun and Reilly/Aho had fewer defensive zone draws.

I think they're better apart than they are together, for Lindholm in particular. He's better as the guy on a pair than deferring to and backing up McAvoy. That was the role he ended up in in Anaheim where his overall game declined.
He declined in Anaheim because he had to cover for his shitty teenage D partner, I don’t think “covering” for McAvoy is quite the same. They very clearly work well together, both statistically and anecdotally from a star who actually matched up against them

Like Marchyknows says they couldn’t play together because of the Gryz conundrum. Didn’t have much to do with their actual performance together. Problem solved now, though I wouldn’t mind seeing Zadorov with McAvoy either

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
But, they have things....

Howe has a trick named after him. Mr. Hockey.

Its Wayne's office (and record book). The great one.

I'm not sure what Lemieux has named after him. All I can think about is that crazy game he scored 5 different ways which should have also been a trick of some type. Maybe there is a francophone folk reference about Mario I'm unaware of. He was Le Magnifique. Super Mario.

Orr was famous for many things but the end to end rush with a goal was the thing. And its often when his memory is evoked in broadcast today or when a D man spins 180 degrees off the blueline to keep the puck in the offensive zone and escape a checker. But he's not really immortalized, no nick name, no thing, no play and no trophy. Sinden called him The Godfather and that didn't stick. Its a Savardian Spinorama. All I've ever heard is he "pulled an Orr" and went end to end. Pulled...an Orr...and sadly, whenever a career is cut short they reference Bob.

No...it is important. If the NHL creates another award to distinguish the offensive defenseman and its not in recognition of Orr that would be a a kick in the pills despite what the purest and distractors might say. I don't care. It would just be wrong.

No, it's not important.

• Haha
Reactions: Shroud of Orrin

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I just went to have a look at our cap situation for next year and found out that capfriendly has now closed. Where the f else can we find a good website like it. Capgeek went off line a few years back

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I don't think you're wrong. But the same could be said for countless players (Hell, even defensemen) and they still manage to get jobs without managing to produce like Sprong.

I think there's more to it.
With regards to Boston it could be as simple as money.

Personally I think they value giving the opportunity to a Lysell or Merkulov more than they do signing him or anyone of a similar ilk.

At some point you have to see what you have with some of your guys. It’s honestly what I want too. There is obviously risk there, they could both be lemons, but at least you know.

If that’s the case you try and ride it out and address it at the deadline.

I don’t dislike the idea of a guy like Sprong, but if it were me I would rather give the kids a look.

Just my two cents.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Don't know if it was mentioned here but I saw on one of those Youtube shows that the Bruins were kicking tires on Kailer Yamamoto. That would be a good PTO. He's small but feisty. He's also young (25) and has a 20 goal season under his belt.

Reactions: wintersej and KOZ37

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Don't know if it was mentioned here but I saw on one of those Youtube shows that the Bruins were kicking tires on Kailer Yamamoto. That would be a good PTO. He's small but feisty. He's also young (25) and has a 20 goal season under his belt.

When I went to a game in Edmonton last year while Yamatoto was still playing for the Oilers, the fans there actively hated him. Sheer contempt. And I got it - don't really like his game either. Nimble and can skate well, but he's soft and plays tend to die on his stick a lot. I don't know about the 'feisty' bit - one of the major complaints in Edmonton was that he was too timid.

But I will say this - one of my major complaints about our roster has been that it still looks too slow, and the kid has wheels for sure. Having a look via a PTO for that reason alone might not be the worst idea. Just maybe the Bs could get his career back on track.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
When I went to a game in Edmonton last year while Yamatoto was still playing for the Oilers, the fans there actively hated him. Sheer contempt. And I got it - don't really like his game either. Nimble and can skate well, but he's soft and plays tend to die on his stick a lot. I don't know about the 'feisty' bit - one of the major complaints in Edmonton was that he was too timid.

But I will say this - one of my major complaints about our roster has been that it still looks too slow, and the kid has wheels for sure. Having a look via a PTO for that reason alone might not be the worst idea. Just maybe the Bs could get his career back on track.

I don't really buy the timid label. I've seen him hit on the forecheck, heck I've seen him throw borderline dirty hits... and he averages 93 hits and 44 takeaways per 82 games. That's a lot of contact and puck battles for someone who's supposedly not physically engaged.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think people around here underrate what nhl players think of Hampus Lindholm. Didn’t an Av just say mcavoy-Lindholm is the best pair in hockey?

And yet we have people saying they’re both slotted incorrectly and that it must be all bruins fans voting. Maybe just maybe not everything is as bad or negative as we think it is….
Stating a player is being over rated is neither bad or negative.

Charlie Mac simply not 6th in the league in top Dmen. 16th is more like it. Good but not great,

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't really buy the timid label. I've seen him hit on the forecheck, heck I've seen him throw borderline dirty hits... and he averages 93 hits and 44 takeaways per 82 games. That's a lot of contact and puck battles for someone who's supposedly not physically engaged.

I don't have a strong personal opinion on that aspect of his game. Probably never watched him closely enough. Can only report what I was told and heard by people who had. One guy I talked to really made a point of identifying him as a playoffs ghost. And 12 points and -16 in 34 games is, well it's not nothing, but it's far from great either. Just how much compete has Yamamoto got with that sort of record when it matter most?

Reality is, whatever the rights or wrongs of what fans think of him, the most telling thing is both Edmonton and Seattle lost faith in him. Something's not right there. But he's only 25 and clearly has some talent. Certainly can't write him off yet.

Last edited:

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Stating a player is being over rated is neither bad or negative.

Charlie Mac simply not 6th in the league in top Dmen. 16th is more like it. Good but not great,
Anyone of course can have their opinion on where a player should be ranked. But some of those opinions can be quite wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad