Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Trouba not wanting to leave is fine, but it’s also just another piece of evidence for why this team never wins. Life is too damned good in NYC for rich athletes. We should expect them to prioritize the team winning given their massive paychecks, but it’s a place where it’s very easy to worry about life first.

Yes, these are human beings. Yes, it’s natural to prioritize your own life and well being. Yes, I would hope that most “normal” people can find a way to do this.

But, when you are a fan of a team that you hope will win something someday, it’s important to recognize that this is yet another obstacle between you and that.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
It’s one thing to respect a person as a human being. Especially if we want to assume that he and his agent have abstained from doing any of the underhanded or bad faith shit in the rumors.
It’s another thing to think that that mitigates in the slightest a massive underperformance of a contract.
He could be Albert f***ing Schweitzer and I’ll sit here and say that at his cap hit he is hurting the team, and needs to go. He is prioritizing his family. That’s great. For him and his family. It’s selfish by definition, but we all are. And the team is just as entitled to act in IT’S best interest as Jacob is. I don’t fault him for wanting the situation that is best and most convenient for his family. But that isn’t the NYR’s problem. They have their OWN priorities, and they are entitled to act on them over Jacob’s priorities, just as he puts his family first, NYR are obligated to put THE TEAM first. And doing that does not shit on Trouba’s integrity at all. They are separate things.
It is the Rangers' problem when there is a collective bargaining agreement and when there is an agreed-upon contract. It is a business on both ends. Trouba sells his skills to the highest bidder or makes a decision based on his family's needs. He is entitled to do what he did. He did so for the best of reasons. I question whether any of us would have done differently. I was talking to someone with knowledge about how residency works and he said it is almost impossible to change residency when it is in its final year.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
The plan is to let their Norris winner be on a pair that's a net negative at every aspect of the game and tell themselves "this is great" because the organization is run by actual stupid people.

They actually think being in your own zone a lot indicates good defensive play. They've thought it for a generation.
Slow down there Flash before you hurt someone with all that optimism!

super short: Rs

wut?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The fact that people are complaining about nicknames that other teams fans give our team is quite literally, the softest thing I have ever heard.

It is all apart of the sport. Just like "Piles", and "$hitsburgh"

Literally the last thing that needs to worried about.
Even worse they’re complaining about nicknames that WE gave the team. Rongos is our word

Reactions: TheDirtyH

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Reading the updated depth chart the Athletic just put out was pretty sobering. Not a lot of depth to be found.

I’m sure the plan is to just trade more assets at the deadline to fill holes. But the cupboard is getting so bare. They are already down to just 2 of 9 round 2-4 picks over the next 3 drafts.

It is the Rangers' problem when there is a collective bargaining agreement and when there is an agreed-upon contract. It is a business on both ends. Trouba sells his skills to the highest bidder or makes a decision based on his family's needs. He is entitled to do what he did. He did so for the best of reasons. I question whether any of us would have done differently. I was talking to someone with knowledge about how residency works and he said it is almost impossible to change residency when it is in its final year.

You’re completely neglecting the rumor that he is poisoning the waters to turn his 15 team NTC into a full NTC. That is what people are taking issue with, if true. This is not his “contractual right.”

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Reading the updated depth chart the Athletic just put out was pretty sobering. Not a lot of depth to be found.

I’m sure the plan is to just trade more assets at the deadline to fill holes. But the cupboard is getting so bare. They are already down to just 2 of 9 round 2-4 picks over the next 3 drafts.

You’re completely neglecting the rumor that he is poisoning the waters to turn his 15 team NTC into a full NTC. That is what people are taking issue with, if true. This is not his “contractual right.”
Yeah can’t wait to trade our remaining picks for the next Wennberg

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
The fact that people are complaining about nicknames that other teams fans give our team is quite literally, the softest thing I have ever heard.

Frankly the use of those names towards other teams is as soft and weak as it comes. Have a point and make it. Being a child is pretty low.

R*gs (does that work for that other guy?) is a stupid insult created by other fanbases. R*ng*s (does that work for that other guy?) is even worse. It's an insult to our team created by self-loathing fans who whine about every thing we do. There's so much good info and good discussion here. How about picking your game up and not make up ridiculously bad trade ideas then claim the would be so R*ng*s (hope that's ok with the other guy)

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007

The Rangers are definitely, squarely in a window. The only certainty when you’re in a window is that assets will dwindle. If a Stanley cup manifests, none of it matters. If the window begins to shut and you’re not left with much, that’s the scary part. They can’t start collecting assets - I was more hoping we were trending towards an all in season. I suppose we still could be but no one can make the argument that this roster is materially better than last season. They’re just banking on young guys being better. Maybe I’m crazy but I’ll still be shocked if there’s not a big trade this summer. The defense just simply isn’t up to Stanley cup caliber.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Well that's the thing, my frustration is limited to the use on HF. And that's because things like Shitsburgh and Laughs and Debbies were always forbidden and yet Rags was okay. Just feels like a double standard.

On Twitter? In real life? I don't f***ing care. But I spend a lot of time posting here and it pisses me off that things aren't "equal" with respect to the pejorative nicknames.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

Kudos to Trouba for putting family first. Kudos to Trouba for saying his wife's career is just as important, if not more so, than his. Kudos to Trouba for recognizing that his career is finite while his wife's career is lifelong. From day 1 here, Trouba has been forthright in telling everyone where his priorities are. Kudos to Trouba for sticking to his contractual rights.

In any labor dispute, I always (always) side with the workers, even though those workers might be millionaires. Many would say that team loyalty should come first. But we all know that management, as is their right, will trade or dump players without regard to the fact that they are dealing with human beings. Management has no loyalty.

Of course, as a Rangers fan, I recognize that the team would be better served with an upgrade on defense. Of course, I know that he is not worth the money we pay him (though, if he were gone guaranteed at the trading deadline we would be moaning the fact that we need to be more physical. Of course, I know that his contract prevented us from being more active in pursuing free agents.

But, to me, those concerns are secondary to knowing that Trouba has integrity and values that put his family and his wife first. Those are values I live my life by (BTW, I met my future wife going to a Ranger playoff game in 1970).

So more kudos to Trouba. Though I might criticize his on-ice play, my respect for him as a human being has increased over the last week.
I respect this take and in the employee employee / employer relationship I explicitly preach that number 1 concern to mind is the family, and employer is second at best because they don’t care about you. This situation is an example where as a Rangers fan I’m not happy but have no problem with what Trouba did on a personal level.

What Drury has to do is to move forward - think through and execute plan B, if he didn’t have it already. What could it be?

1. Simplest option is to stay put and just switch roles on D (Miller to 1LD, Lindgren - Trouba are 3rd pair). IMO it’s not enough but maybe good to wait and see if something can shake up by next 2025 TDL
2. Drury still has other cards in Lindgren (IMO we should wait until his contract is signed for more trade certainty) and Kakko to upgrade 1LD. At the moment Kakko is 3RW at $2.4m. Let’s say they can budget Lindgren at $4.6m. Drury can get a few depth options around $1m or under to compete with Berard and Othmann for this spot. This gives Drury a budget of about $6m to fill this spot with those assets in a trade

Maybe there are more options but these are the most obvious.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is an unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

Kudos to Trouba for putting family first. Kudos to Trouba for saying his wife's career is just as important, if not more so, than his. Kudos to Trouba for recognizing that his career is finite while his wife's career is lifelong. From day 1 here, Trouba has been forthright in telling everyone where his priorities are. Kudos to Trouba for sticking to his contractual rights.

In any labor dispute, I always (always) side with the workers, even though those workers might be millionaires. Many would say that team loyalty should come first. But we all know that management, as is their right, will trade or dump players without regard to the fact that they are dealing with human beings. Management has no loyalty.

Of course, as a Rangers fan, I recognize that the team would be better served with an upgrade on defense. Of course, I know that he is not worth the money we pay him (though, if he were gone guaranteed at the trading deadline we would be moaning the fact that we need to be more physical. Of course, I know that his contract prevented us from being more active in pursuing free agents.

But, to me, those concerns are secondary to knowing that Trouba has integrity and values that put his family and his wife first. Those are values I live my life by (BTW, I met my future wife going to a Ranger playoff game in 1970).

So more kudos to Trouba. Though I might criticize his on-ice play, my respect for him as a human being has increased over the last week.
Yeah, I want him off the team for hockey reasons, but I have no issue with Trouba. He has negotiated clauses in his contract that he's using.

If the team doesn't like it, that's their fault. Smart people warned them that this guy wasn't it when he was on the Jets.

Having money makes uprooting your life easiER, but by no means easy.

I have respect for his wife too. He has enough money where she could lie on the couch the rest of her life. If anything ever happens to me, I want a doctor passionate about medicine, not somebody who got into it to make the most money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad