Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
There's something still missing. It's like a meal without a drink or only an entree. The depth is off. They literally have no 7D right now. It's bizarre, either no one wants to come here, or they want too much money. You'd think even like a Ruewedhl or Mahura or Klingberg on a prove it come back deal.

They're also one Chytil injury from Johnny Brodz being the 3C again.
Biggest worry going into next season at this point. I know everyone is concerned about the defense but amazing no one has mentioned Chytil. This team won't go deep unless Chytil stays healthy and is a productive 2C/3C. Without him there the bottom 6 just doesn't look nearly as effective. Plus his line will have to help contribute 5 on 5 since not sure Mika can.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Okay...

Realistically, what's our cup window with the roster we have now, and if the cup never pans out, how bad is our rebuild going to look?

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
There's something still missing. It's like a meal without a drink or only an entree. The depth is off. They literally have no 7D right now. It's bizarre, either no one wants to come here, or they want too much money. You'd think even like a Ruewedhl or Mahura or Klingberg on a prove it come back deal.

They're also one Chytil injury from Johnny Brodz being the 3C again.
A legit 2 way prime age star:

Tkachuk
Eichel
Kucherov/Stamkos
McKinnon
Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Kane
Ovi
—————-
Cup winners all.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Okay...

Realistically, what's our cup window with the roster we have now, and if the cup never pans out, how bad is our rebuild going to look?
Probably one more year, but I’m skeptical that’s even true when they didn’t make any upgrades, their core skaters outside of Lafreniere, Fox, and Miller are all into their 30s and another year older and haven’t proved they are truly competitive against the best competition in the league. Rebuild would be tough because you couldn’t move Panarin and Zibanejad off for assets with their NMC, they are going to re-sign Igor who single-handedly will keep them at least mediocre, and I doubt they even have the appetite for another rebuild.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So no chance Lou takes Trouba to Long Island ?

Cizikas and retain some ?

Pageau straight up ?

Pageau for Trouba ? Isles do it ?

So you’re telling me there’s a chance ?
no x 3
JT to LI is a good idea
return is bad
add bread max retained, Oth, 1st + Troub max retained and get Dobson

Think I figured out why Lindgren is still here. The Rangers need cap space for 25/26 to sign Igor and the others. That's why Trouba has to go. He's 8 million in 25/26. But Lindgren as a RFA with arbitration rights will probably end up with a 1 year deal from the arbitrator which won't impact 25/26. If they were to trade Lindgren's rights like many have suggested, then they have to replace him with a free agent who will want multiple years which would impact 25/26. I guess they could have traded for a Dman like Smith with one year left. But then you are giving assets that were needed to get a RW. Obviously, if Trouba went to Detroit before free agency, Drury had more cards to play. So Lindgren stays 1 year and the compromise with Trouba is that he ends up dealt next summer after the wife has finished residency. Now if they sign Lindgren for multiple years, then I'm talking out my butt.
Insightful, but flawed due to false assumption.
Scanlin close enuf now if Rs finally listen to bern and stop favoring vets and do youth, accept growing pains, ugly or not, short term pain, long term gain
then we have Fortsec following season

this does not include we should have done this w/Robertson already and need to do it NOW

so it is possible to bypass expensive vet w/in house elc option, avoid $$$$ conflict

There's no way shape or form any of this is Trouba's fault. Or his family's.

This is the fault of the Rangers front office and the media.

The player doing what's been agreed upon in contract is not the player's fault.

He blocked trades? Boo hoo. You agreed upon giving the player NMC and NTC in the contract. It's his contractual right.
There is a fine line to all of this and now is not the time for deets

Okay...

Next year is basically it.
It depends...

do they finally bend, buckle and break and listn to bern and keep repurposing vets after coupla yrs and keep rolling with youth?
youth = more energy + cheaper = more roster flexibility

or will there be more of the same favoring vets

Probably one more year, but I’m skeptical that’s even true when they didn’t make any upgrades, their core skaters outside of Lafreniere, Fox, and Miller are all into their 30s and another year older and haven’t proved they are truly competitive against the best competition in the league. Rebuild would be tough because you couldn’t move Panarin and Zibanejad off for assets with their NMC, they are going to re-sign Igor who single-handedly will keep them at least mediocre, and I doubt they even have the appetite for another rebuild.
technically correct
practically:
- bread can be moved to a location he can live with and he will go there b'c he's not sniffing 11.6 from us again and it will get ugly if he insists on trying

- zib have to bundlle w/igor at half for Nylander
if he sees the core is being forced out, he may go

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
so as of now they are going to give Othmaan , Berard , Rempe , Edstrom a chance to battle it out in camp

In a perfect world Othmaan or Berard have a Cuylee type season.

With that said it’s July 3rd. I still see Kakko moved but maybe he really does have little value and in that case you play him another full year with Chytil

I’m sending Groulx, Brodzinski , Nash, Lesch, Blidh , Belzile all down to Hartford but that is a good AHL team

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
It's gonna be the same five defenseman next year with Jones in Gus' spot. Better we all just accept it now. Hope Igor pulls a .940 save % out his ass and a .960 save % in the playoffs because otherwise, we aren't winning the Cup.

This whole offseason makes me want to tune in for maybe 20ish regular season games on TV and buy 0 tickets.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Looks like Perreault will be turning pro after this season. The recent trend is the young guys aren't as patient as the players were in previous years. Gauthier got mad when the Flyers wanted Cutter to wait until the summer to sign. McGroarty got mad when the Jets told Rutger to wait and they had no spot for him last season. That player hasn't been moved. Minnesota and Winnipeg had a deal worked for Minnesota's first round pick until Buium dropped to #12. Teams know the player wants to play right away and they don't have a spot for him this season.

Will Smith was reasonable. He waited until after the season to sign with the Sharks. Perreault will give the Rangers a cheaper top 6 forward.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Just throwing it out there and I am also about 9 pages of threads behind if it has been already discussed .

What is the story on Carter Hart ? What happens if this case gets tossed or goes nowhere and they don't have any record via a court of law after it ends ? Are they all UFA players ? Can any club sign them ? Would some club take a risk ? Rangers have had reclamation projects here before as in Malone -Tibbets- and the LA King fellow I forget his name and long ago Murdoch to name some .

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So are they gonna sign Ruhwedahl back ?

Not sure I want to go into camp with all the fringe depth D even though Chad may be that too lol

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The funny thing about Truba
This guy wanted to be here.
Hes a warrior.
Everybody dumps on him.
And is 110% being disrespected.
So dont bitch when players dont want to come here.
The other funny thing is that he has massively underperformed his contract, and that is hurting the team… it’s not disrespectful to recognize that moving him is in the overwhelming interest of the team due to HIS play and cost.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Just listened to Vince’s podcast and it confirms exactly what many of us postulated in Roster Building threads over the years - these fantasy trades involving players with NMC’s are just that - fantasy. Vince confirmed that Trouba wanted to stay and his agent maneuvered his modified NTC (not even a full NMC) in such a way to make it impossible for the Rangers to move him.

The bottom line is that if the player, and it’s their right, doesn’t want to move it’s hard to do without it being really painful (buyout).

Trouba is likely here until next summer.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Players with NTCs get moved all the time, so it's not fantasy, it's just harder.

At least we know the Rangers tried and I will give them credit for that.

But too often some don't like the discussion of moving a player and so they lean on the NTC to pretend it's impossible, which it isn't. If a couple more teams had cap room this would be a very different conversation.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Gorton is a better executive than Drury. Chris has been overmatched since day one. One good trade in 3 years. Lundkvist. This is Drury's 4th offseason as Rangers GM. The same problems exist. All of the draft picks flushed down the toilet. Gorton wasn't perfect but Chris is lost. The Habs will be good. They need to wait for some of their bad contracts to come off the books and not rushing the rebuild might be the prudent thing.
The issue for me is age management: you don’t want too much concentration in a given age range. You want a good mix of veterans (33+), productive senior players (30-32), peak players (27-29), developing players (23-26) and youngsters (22 and below). This way you can keep your cap more or less steady, assuming contract values are to a large extent functions of age, with the caveat that the quality of players in each group is also a key determinant. Having all your biggest talent in one of those groups will either hurt you later (as you sign a six players to monster long-term contracts with near identical term) or impede you from competing now (with a lack of quality veterans).

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
- Shame on anyone dragging his wife
it didnt sit well with me that the Post was highlighting the wife thing. its not that i didnt know but its not exactly necessary to print it, imo. I am sure others feel it is relevant to report, but it *felt* slimey. I suppose the Post is just slimetown all around anyway so what should i have expected?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad