Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't think it's an empty threat from a player who has already made ~60M in his career. Especially one like Trouba who has already held out once before into November when he was an RFA.
I understand your points but that 60 is probably closer to 30 after fees and taxes. I don't think for a second Trouba is walking away from $16 mill especially if it could be his last big money. The chances are very slim imo. Wade Redden made a lot. Still played in the minors while making his $$$

Reactions: majordomo

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
People are holding on to hope with the shreds of their fingernails because bringing back the same defense caps the ceiling for this roster. Playing Lingrden and Trouba 20 min a night each means this team is going to be average to below average at 5 on 5, which means they are highly likely to encounter a handful of teams in the post season that are straight up top to bottom better than them.
This is the reality.

Reactions: tiggles and Profet

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I understand your points but that 60 is probably closer to 30 after fees and taxes. I don't think for a second Trouba is walking away from $16 mill especially if it could be his last big money. The chances are very slim imo. Wade Redden made a lot. Still played in the minors while making his $$$

You cannot simultaneously say the 60 is closer to 30 due to taxes/fees and then that he is walking away from 16 (which is actually 12M salary, not 16.) and not include the taxes and fees on that. In that case the 12 is closer to 6. And it wouldn't even be that much since even if he then takes this whole year off he'd get a new contract the year after (for less, but it would recoup some of it). We had guys like Joel Edmundson sign for ~4x4 so it's safe to say Trouba would get a decent deal as a UFA.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You cannot simultaneously say the 60 is closer to 30 due to taxes/fees and then that he is walking away from 16 (which is actually 12M salary, not 16.) and not include the taxes and fees on that. In that case the 12 is closer to 6. And it wouldn't even be that much since even if he then takes this whole year off he'd get a new contract the year after (for less, but it would recoup some of it). We had guys like Joel Edmundson sign for ~4x4 so it's safe to say Trouba would get a decent deal as a UFA.
I dont think Trouba is walking away from 12 or 16 by refusing to report. If he refuses to report he isnt getting another deal for 1,2,3,4 or 16 mill.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Agree with your general stance, that trades are highly unlikely at the point and UFA is obviously over. There were decent options to replace either player (Sean Walker for Trouba would have been a massive upgrade).

People are holding on to hope with the shreds of their fingernails because bringing back the same defense caps the ceiling for this roster. Playing Lingrden and Trouba 20 min a night each means this team is going to be average to below average at 5 on 5, which means they are highly likely to encounter a handful of teams in the post season that are straight up top to bottom better than them.

Then layer on that it is likely going to be harder to win from here...potentially with this being the last season this team can realistically aspire to contend...and people's desparation makes sense. Both because the most productive forwards are unlikely to be MORE able to win any given playoff series and because Igor inevitably being on the books at $12-13M is going to limit the NYR ability to add around them.
You've summed up the situation pretty well here. I was hoping with Trouba contract move they could invest in the RW via UFA/Trade and possibly upgrade the defense with a more mobile defenseman.

I am dreading Igor's next contract, because it's going to be Lundqvist 2.0 for probably 8+ yrs.

I'll wait and see what Drury does here, because the moves he makes/doesn't make will likely set this team up for the next 8-10 yrs. Is he is own man? Or is just going to pander to Dolan and the M$G machine?

This current core needs support around them, to go further in the post season. Reilly and Carrick are not that...

Always the bridesmaid and never the bride... for the next 8-10yrs.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I dont think Trouba is walking away from 12 or 16 by refusing to report. If he refuses to report he isnt getting another deal for 1,2,3,4 or 16 mill.

I completely disagree given that we just saw Edmundson get a 4x15.4M deal and that there appears to be actual trade interest at positive values from teams around the league when he has a 2x8 cap hit remaining (some of which was reported at ~30% retention which is still about a 2x5 cap hit). The big physical defenseman getting overpaid in UFA is something we see all the time.

If you want to include taxes I would bet if Trouba sat out this year, had his contract terminated, and signed as a UFA with someon else next offseason, that he would be giving up something like 4M in real dollars.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I completely disagree given that we just saw Edmundson get a 4x15.4M deal and that there appears to be actual trade interest at positive values from teams around the league when he has a 2x8 cap hit remaining (some of which was reported at ~30% retention which is still about a 2x5 cap hit)
You cant just refuse to report after a trade. He is still under contract. He cant just say no thank you and sign elsewhere.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Of course you can. Something very similar has happened before. Patrik Berglund did it in 2018.
You can not just refuse a trade and declare yourself a free agent. That is not how it works. You may be able to convince a team to cut you but that is not the same thing. Buffalo cut Bergland. Bergland went to play in Sweden. He did not get a NHL contract.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
Of course you can. Something very similar has happened before. Patrik Berglund did it in 2018.
No no... I think @NickyFotiu is saying he can't fail to report AND also sign a new contract elsewhere.

Trouba is free to not play and not get paid. I'm just not sure his rights revert to UFA status before the contract expires.

And before you bring up Perry, I believe that was a mutual termination so that the cause wouldn't be public.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
By the way Bergland did play for Buffalo after he was traded. It was a month or two in to the season he said he was sick or something and then Buffalo cut him.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mean if Trouba is telling teams not on his list he won’t report, then you have to send him to Hartford because you can’t let players hold you hostage.

That’s a really bad precedent to let Trouba set. If they only tried to move him to teams he could block, that’s fair play by Trouba. If he is scaring teams that aren’t on his list, you cannot have that as an organization
That’s exactly what he’s doing. And you’re right. Waive his ass and call his bluff.
When camp comes around, let Trouba tell whatever team claims him that he’ll be forfeiting his 12 million dollars

• Love
Reactions: skipmowerman

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Just buy him out once Lindgren files for arbitration. Worrying about a 2 million dollar cap hit for 2 years in 2026 and 2027 when the cap will be at 100 million isn’t worth him playing 20 minutes a night this year, and being a slug out there.

Also, he would then sign with the Islanders or Devils this year making them worse.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Just buy him out once Lindgren files for arbitration. Worrying about a 2 million dollar cap hit for 2 years in 2026 and 2027 when the cap will be at 100 million isn’t worth him playing 20 minutes a night this year, and being a slug out there.

Also, he would then sign with the Islanders or Devils this year making them worse.
It’s not necessarily the 2M that’s an issue, it’s the 4M for next offseason that would be a big problem. Unless the Rangers plan on taking a step back and moving out some other contracts they won’t have room to even re-sign Laf, Miller, and Shesterkin if they have a 4M cap hit on the books.

Reactions: Ail

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
It’s not necessarily the 2M that’s an issue, it’s the 4M for next offseason that would be a big problem. Unless the Rangers plan on taking a step back and moving out some other contracts they won’t have room to even re-sign Laf, Miller, and Shesterkin if they have a 4M cap hit on the books.

Good, don’t give Igor 12 million dollars.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Im genuinely confused why people are rushing Lindgren and Trouba out the door with almost zero ability to add replacements?

The July 1st FA thread was filled to the brim with 'glad we didnt sign any of those contracts' - yet now the same people are wanting to spend assets (that the team doesnt have) on players who wont be retained on until the trade deadline

Choosing to stay out of UFA means theyre running it back - holding out hope they have plans to replace two defenseman, and with better options, is fruitless

This isnt a video game - you arent moving Lindgren and Trouba for better talents nor do you have the assets to get better talents. Then Drury is going to also make a trade for a forward with the cap savings?

View attachment 892620

Lindgren, whatever. But shoot me that I want a team cancer that is circumventing his contract and also sucks off this team. The fact that he's getting what he wants means players will just take advantage of this organization because they'll just get what they want. Trouba is a f***ing cancer, on and off the ice. I hope he gets booed every minute of next season. I legit hate him more than Georgiev and I had no idea that was possible.

Reactions: tiggles

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You can not just refuse a trade and declare yourself a free agent. That is not how it works. You may be able to convince a team to cut you but that is not the same thing. Buffalo cut Bergland. Bergland went to play in Sweden. He did not get a NHL contract.

Yes that is the point. If he doesn't report they will first suspend him and then terminate his deal for breaching the contract. Why is this so complicated? Of course he doesn't instantly become a FA because he says he wants to.
Lindgren, whatever. But shoot me that I want a team cancer that is circumventing his contract and also sucks off this team. The fact that he's getting what he wants means players will just take advantage of this organization because they'll just get what they want. Trouba is a f***ing cancer, on and off the ice. I hope he gets booed every minute of next season. I legit hate him more than Georgiev and I had no idea that was possible.

How is he a cancer on and off the ice when all the players say he is a great leader?

Buying him out is an absolutely horrible idea that is just something angry irrational fans want. Having a 4M dead cap hit in two years is absurd especially when it appears other teams are interested in him. Just trade him next offseason.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
How is he a cancer on and off the ice when all the players say he is a great leader?
Yeah from all accounts the players and coaches like him, the media likes him. The league has no issue with his play that's for sure. This beef is between Trouba and management.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
If he's staying lets hope he has a monster season and turns everything directed at him into playing. I'm going into this season with the hope that they mimic (and some) the "This is a bad hockey team" thread year.

Reactions: UnSandvich

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yes that is the point. If he doesn't report they will first suspend him and then terminate his deal for breaching the contract. Why is this so complicated? Of course he doesn't instantly become a FA because he says he wants to.

Buying him out is an absolutely horrible idea that is just something angry irrational fans want. Having a 4M dead cap hit in two years is absurd especially when it appears other teams are interested in him. Just trade him next offseason.

A player is a cancer off the ice if he's keeping the team from improving by circumventing his contract. That's more important than him giving a ra ra speech before a game.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
A player is a cancer off the ice if he's keeping the team from improving by circumventing his contract. That's more important than him giving a ra ra speech before a game.

Maybe to the fans. I highly doubt the players and coaching staff care about it at all. And I don't think the team should be making decisions based on what the fans want.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad