Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Look, I'm fine with Trouba staying. For all the shit he gets and his contract being an overpayment, he still provides things that this team needs on the back-end. It's the exact reason people were interested in Zadorov and Dillon this off-season. My main concern is I don't see a way for this teams defense to improve on what they need to improve upon with Lindgren AND Trouba still here. If we just look at the pairings:

I think we all would like to see an extended look of Miller-Fox on the top-pairing. That just makes sense.

Miller-Fox

That leaves Lindgren, Trouba, Jones and Schneider.

Lindgren and Trouba together should NEVER be a thing apart from PK. So that leaves:

Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

This is horrendous. That Lindgren-Schneider pair will get hemmed in their zone and asking a rookie undersized d-man to cover for Trouba when he attempts hits or is aggressive, as he should be, is silly. What needs to happen, at this point, is for Drury to look for a trade that either moves out Lindgren allowing for the acquisition of another LD or trades Lindgren for that LD. Ideally someone who can move the puck.

Again, Trouba sticking around, at this point, for another season will be fine. He's a 4/5 d-man who is overpaid but he provides things teams relish and need. The issue is building defensive pairings that work with both he and Lindgren in the lineup.

I hope Schneider gets PP time this season along with Cuyle who should get special team time PP or PK. All of his goals were even strength. One reason id like to see him get a shot with Mika and Kreider. Trouba should not be on the PP in any capacity. Let Schneider get more ice time.

Reactions: leetch99

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I dont think it will hurt this organization at all. The player will go to the team that will pay them the most. They wont avoid NY because of Trouba.
So from your stance, if a player has a family situation, they can threaten to not report to prevent any trade? Fine. They can do that. They can also go on waivers.

I'm not concerned about how Trouba feels. Im not concerned about how the players on the team feel. Theyll do their job. They want to win the Stanley Cup. They arent going to give up on the season because of this.

People will forget about this nonsense a year or 2 from now.
Teams are almost never hurt by this kind of move unless their organization sucks. Successful teams are just fine. You see Tampa do this kind of stuff constantly, and you always have players lining up to sign there and leave money on the table to boot.

Also, players will never voice this, but they all have eyes. I’m sure at least some of them would be happy to see Trouba go after his performance the past couple seasons, in favor of someone who actually increases their chances of winning the cup. No one wants to waste their prime years while a guy like Trouba breaks your back every night in the playoffs.

Reactions: Atax

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Teams are almost never hurt by this kind of move unless their organization sucks. Successful teams are just fine. You see Tampa do this kind of stuff constantly, and you always have players lining up to sign there and leave money on the table to boot.

Also, players will never voice this, but they all have eyes. I’m sure at least some of them would be happy to see Trouba go after his performance the past couple seasons, in favor of someone who actually increases their chances of winning the cup. No one wants to waste their prime years while a guy like Trouba breaks your back every night in the playoffs.
Agreed. It will never be spoken out loud but you are out to lunch if you think Shesterkin is sitting there thinking "we need Trouba on this team", no matter how much of a factor in the locker room and off the ice he is.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Not that I would do it, but if you're moving anyone, Kreider always made the most sense given the position, term of his deal, and his level of play. It's the most palatable for teams to acquire, it'll yield the best return for us, and we have the internal options at W to backfill it. That being said, it also makes the most sense to keep him given his contract and level of play. He's actually living up to and outperforming his deal.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I have a very simple question that after reading everything here and in the closed Trouba thread, that I'm still unsure of. If Drury trades Trouba to a team not on his list, will he go?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not that I would do it, but if you're moving anyone, Kreider always made the most sense given the position, term of his deal, and his level of play. It's the most palatable for teams to acquire, it'll yield the best return for us, and we have the internal options at W to backfill it. That being said, it also makes the most sense to keep him given his contract and level of play. He's actually living up to and outperforming his deal.

It only makes sense if the team is entering a full rebuild. Same with Trocheck. We don't get any better trading away our players who are actually bargains.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
Panarin took less
Kreider took less to stay,
Mika and took fair value at the time.
Fox took less
Trouba was “fair value” and assume the cap goes up.
Trouba had a reasonable expectation that he could be moved this year, due to whatever reason his wife’s residency isn’t finished yet. He’s got a valid reason to not want to be moved.
Oh poor Trouba, no player has ever needed to deal with anything nearly this terrible. He doesnt want to be away from his family how about he play up to his contract and not be a below replacement level player.

Reactions: Ail and Atax

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Gorton would have definitely traded a first for Kane. Just like he traded assets for Trouba to then sign to a massive deal, and how he traded assets to get Adam Fox who was probably coming here anyway. Both guys were trained by Sather. Draft picks optional mentality. I dont really have an issue with that, its just how they both operate. Gorton traded a first rounder and a 3rd for Kirby dach like last year, I dont think we are better off with him

I think Stevie Y got screwed here too. Detroit looks like a pretty incomplete team on the backend imo. Our only hope might be Yzerman, Mr. Tyson-Trouba and Drury sitting down to hash things out.
Maybe he’ll take his balls out of her purse.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kreider has aged gracefully. He's adapted his game and is exceeding his contract. He has his flaws, but there's really no reason to move him.
I'd move Mika but theres really no one to replace him. Just treat him like a 2nd liner and hope he has a better season. (at ES)
The forwards are fine.
Its the defense that sucks.

I wish the Rangers can move Mika. He is too passive for me. Too soft. Does anyone think it’s a defensive system issue over the players on defense?. Giving up a lot 40+ shots on net, I think it’s more of a defensive system issue.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
A completely uninspiring offseason coming off a second eastern conference final embarassment is not what you would have hoped for. It would be nice if Drury could turn Lindgren into assets that could be moved for a better LD but that seems unlikely at this point. Looking forward to the retool next offseason.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
It only makes sense if the team is entering a full rebuild. Same with Trocheck. We don't get any better trading away our players who are actually bargains.
I agree with you. That being said, it would depend on the return and subsequent moves made to utilize the gained cap space. Kreider's 7th in the entire NHL in goals scored over the last 3 years, is the best PP net-front guy in the league, and has turned into a very good PKer. I'd bet you get pretty good value for him at 3x$6.5M. I don't want to trade Kreider, FWIW. I'd just understand the process behind it.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I just think that even in that scenario - there is an additional unavoidable risk to teams and that is, Trouba shows up disinterested and distracted, not wanting to be there. Teams may not be willing to risk that or the potential drama for that matter, even if they have recourse for their assets.
Always a risk. But I'm talking B or C level prospect and a 3rd or 4th. The risk is minimal. And there could be performance conditions on it. Just have to be a little creative. I dont think its likely that he reports and is a douche about it, he'd either report and go to work, or just not report. Trouba may not be worth his cap hit, but he's NEVER been a locker room problem and I doubt he ever will be. It's the OPPOSITE of his nature. If he reports, he will play his hardest.
Also they could always waive him, SOMEONE likely takes a shot at him at 5.5...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

I’ve been saying this for days. Trouba is here for the remainder of his contract, plain and simple. Lindgren stays for 2 years bc nobody left to replace him and nobody wants him. This is our team, get used to it for the next two years until we can change out this core. Good regular season, 2nd round exit in the playoffs. Actually if we play the devils, they will beat us in the first round.

This is the way

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
This notion that trying to move Trouba is going to destroy this franchises reputation and stop players from coming here is so absurd.
we kicked Leetch to the curb and survived... leafs kicked Wendell to the curb and survived... heck we kick eddie giacomin out and we're still here...

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Yes this is setting a precedent. You don’t think agents and players will notice when a player throwing a tantrum gets his way. It will render all M-NTC clauses worthless and essentially require all players agree to a trade beforehand, since they can just pull out the I won’t report card Trouba feels he has the right to use. Trouba seems to think he’s special and no player has ever has had to deal with difficult family dynamics when they are traded.

If trouba wanted to completely eliminate the possibility of being moved he should have taken less money for a full term NMC.
So you think that the rangers putting their captain on waivers and sending him to the AHL is going to set a precedent for the NHL teams and a fact how 31 other teams operate and how 600 NHL players throughout the week operate? Could people be any more delusional lincoln that this isolated move would somehow I have a positive effect? The other players in your organization have already come to you and said they disagree with how you're handling this, are you seriously suggesting that if the rest of the team pushed back against this that the organization would just put half of them on waivers and send them to the AHL? It's a flight that the team cannot win right now. Sure they can send him down and try to make a power move But the long-term effects are going to be a lot more damaging than people realize

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I’ve been saying this for days. Trouba is here for the remainder of his contract, plain and simple. Lindgren stays for 2 years bc nobody left to replace him and nobody wants him. This is our team, get used to it for the next two years until we can change out this core. Good regular season, 2nd round exit in the playoffs. Actually if we play the devils, they will beat us in the first round.

This is the way

Trouba is gone next summer at the latest.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

IMG_0510.gif

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The same team last year that had more question marks and everybody crying after they lost to the Devils had 114 point season and went to ECF. That was a season that saw them miss Kakko for 2 months, miss Chytil for all but 10 games, lose Fox for a month and have him injured in the playoffs. They also had the corpse of Bonino as 3C for 40 games, the corpse of Wheeler playing 1st line minutes before being moved down, Pitlick playing 4th line minutes, Goodrow scoring 4 goals, Lindgren having a bad year, Trouba playing top 4 minutes nearly all year etc. This years team will hopefully have a healthy Chytil, a better Kakko because he couldn't play any worse, additions of Smith and Carrick, Jones getting a real chance, Trouba relegated to 3rd pairing minutes if still here, Othmann, Berard, Rempe, and Edstrom pushing for roster spots as well. They also lost nobody of consequence aside from Gus who wasn't that great anyway. The team overall will be better and deeper than last year.
Kakko out for two months was probably a benefit, But in all seriousness I think people discount a little too much that there were a couple players that had career years and that the majority of the core of this team is actually getting older into their 30s. At some point it's not really rational to expect players at those ages to improve or even maintain their level. I'm not saying it's going to be a drop off next year, but I would caution against expecting these guys to repeat career years again

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Besides the fact that Trouba is objectively terrible and a liability both on the offensive and defensive ends and commits mind-numbingly stupid and unnecessary penalties that cost the team, we would be looking to trade Panarin if it was just about the money. Panarin is earning 3-4M more than Trouba, has way more value than Trouba (despite sucking in the playoffs, Panarin's one of the best performers during the regular season) and Panarin's absence would lead to Lafreniere playing his natural position of LW in the top-6. Also, Panarin is a bit older.

Which is more of a downgrade (if you can call it that): Schneider over Trouba on the second pair or Laf over Panarin on the second line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad