Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Making a trade with the worse ran tram in the league doesn’t confirm anything
You got two NHL management teams going back and forth and negotiating on true value. Complete a trade that happened in the real world. That pegs his value way more than what a bunch of HF boards posters FEEL about a trade.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Part of me wonders if Buffalo is looking at Florida and is like "Oh crap, Savoie is 5'9" and the players are getting bigger now" and is doing this trade as a result. Actually, this trade isn't terrible for Buffalo. McLeod has a ton of value as a cost-controlled middle-6 center.

McLeod isn’t a mid 6 center. He’s failed to fit in as a 3c, a sheltered one behind McDavid and Draisait at that. He has speed to burn but refuses to go into high traffic areas. There’s zero physicality in his game. He’s not a matchup guy. His game is suited to the wing.

When you watch him breakout into the offensive zone, avoid attacking net front and skate the puck to the perimeter and go behind the net until the play dies you’ll see him for what he is.

If McLeod ever decides to fill out his frame and start going to the high danger areas with his speed and awareness and skill level he’s going to be a solid 2 way player. He might even be able to be that 3C everyone seems to believe he already is. Until he does that though you have a 2.1m bottom 6 winger.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
I feel like Savoie would have been a good centrepiece in a Necas trade. I hate when Edmonton does something good lol

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
There are great teams that do this, too...the Carolina Hurricanes and the Dallas Stars. If they worried so much about size, Seth Jarvis would not be a Cane today and Logan Stankoven would not be a Star today.
Lol what the hell has Stankoven done at the NHL level?

Seth Jarvis is a good pickup for the Canes, but for every Seth Jarvis there are 10 Denisenkos.

All I'm saying is there needs to be extra consideration towards these undersized guys even if they possess elite skill, they need to have some physical qualities to their game to make up for their lack of size to succeed at the NHL level.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
McLeod is a good player, much better than most of my fellow Oiler fans give him credit for, sentiment around him greatly changed in these past playoffs, I personally had his value pegged at a pick in the 20th overall range, but Savoie's value should be above that and no I don't think Tulio is a high enough quality prospect to be a real factor in balancing things.

I'll say McLeod's offensive game tends to only be unlocked when he plays the wing and he's stronger defensively at center. His defining characteristic is his speed he's just a touch off of being as fast as McDavid or Larkin and he provides good backcheck pressure that helps the D be more aggressive on the line to turnover more pucks, also a quality PKer.

While the sample size is rather small a piece of hopefulness for BUF fans is when McLeod played 5v5 with atleast one of McDavid, Draisaitl, or RNH this past season his GF was 19 and his GA was 6 which is a 76 GF% with atleast one of those 3, which is obviously some dominant numbers.

I think his toolset leans more into being a high end 3rd line center, but if forced up with the right personnel around him I wouldn't be shocked if he got 50-60 points as his career peak. I don't think the hands are there to be a star player, but maybe you can shoehorn him into a role similar to Horcoff or B. Morrison where he is the less talented 2 way center sandwiched between superior talents.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Lol what the hell has Stankoven done at the NHL level?

Seth Jarvis is a good pickup for the Canes, but for every Seth Jarvis there are 10 Denisenkos.

All I'm saying is there needs to be extra consideration towards these undersized guys even if they possess elite skill, they need to have some physical qualities to their game to make up for their lack of size to succeed at the NHL level.

Go ask a Stars fan about him.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Is Savoie the 2nd coming of Gretzky to people out west? This is so confusing to me. He’s very possibly the 3rd best winger we’ve drafted since 2022. 5th best since 2020.

He’s a good player, sure. But he’s a small winger and has durability concerns.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
And if someone had posted a 1st for Mcleod I would have said no, knowing Mcleod’s game and value.

So a recently drafted higher end 1st round prospect tracks.

Mcleod’s offence is mediocre. But his speed and 2 way game makes him a legit NHLer. The Sabres got a piece that will be with them for next decade. Oilers got a great prospect, but there’s question marks with any prospect.
Not a chance I would trade a 1st for McLeod, especially a player drafted 9th overall. McLeod at this moment is a 4th line center. His overall offensive creation is extremely bad, he wasn't good enough to stay as the Oilers 3rd line center. For a 1st I would expect a more impactful player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You got two NHL management teams going back and forth and negotiating on true value. Complete a trade that happened in the real world. That pegs his value way more than what a bunch of HF boards posters FEEL about a trade.
Just because you find one idiot doesn’t mean it makes sense or makes it market value

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
really confused as to why Oilers fans are hating on McLeod

Sabres fans...he's a great player and while it seems like an overpay, he fills your needs very well and guarantee you'll love the player and the person that he is. take good care of him
Not hating on him.. he is just better suited for wing and not C and we needed cap space.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
M
Savoie instantly becomes their 3rd best forward or what ? Funny.
Mcdavid, drai, Hyman , nuge are all far better

Skinner and Arvidsson
In the playoffs he avoided contact and was terrible to the point where he got benched. He only had 4 points in 24 games and did next to nothing. And this was his fourth time to the playoffs as well. Been awful every single playoff year. Very fast. Soft as charmin.

Won’t be a problem for Buffalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad