Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I like a lot of our forward prospects. I only really look at Perreault as top line material. I think Othmann has the potential to be a 2nd line forward. We have a bunch of guys who look like really possibilities to become bottom 6 NHL players--Berard, Laba, Chmelar, McConnell-Barker, Rempe, Edstrom, Sykora, Roobroeck. Some might not hit but I think the majority of them will and it's too many for one team to handle so some will probably eventually move on to other NHL teams. For the near future with a lot of these guys on ELC and second contracts it should make Drury's job of handling the cap a lot more manageable and bottom 6 players won't be huge cap hits so that we can put more cap $'s to top end players.

It's important at the same time to continue to draft and bring in other younger players in the years to come pretty much for the same purpose to siphon more cap $'s to top end players.

To me the closest two are Rempe and Edstrom. It's size, speed, willingness to use size, willingness to adapt themselves to a 4th line role. Othmann's two way game needs some work. He feasted on the power play in Hartford. He only had something like 22 points at even strength and ended the year as a -24.....the worst on his team. Some of those -'s will be for being on the wrong end of empty net goals but even so I don't think he's ready but we'll see how he does in training camp. If he does make it the likelihood of his getting much power play time is not great. Berard statistically to me was somewhat better. He also got some penalty kill time and even though a smaller player than Othmann more of his goals came in tight. Again though it's training camp and he's going to have to beat out the competition. That said both should get some NHL action next year.
The good thing is between Laf and GP, we should have two first line wings... getting a 1st line center is the trick (unless Laf pulls a Messier and is converted, then we'll need another 1W).

The rangers are most likely about to pay Igor 12 mil a year. They will need all those mid level prospects cooking in HFD to be ready as a cheap bottom 6 going forward.
yup, but if they actually MAKE the team this year, that's even BETTER for the cap...

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Someone on here said they thought Faksa was going to get bought out but I haven't seen any sources confirm this. Anyone?

The reason I ask is, a trade of Troube for Faksa + might make sense. $8m in for Dallas, $3.25m out but it's only for 1 year and the Rangers probably wouldn't mind a veteran 4C who could slide up to 3C if needed.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They need actual, not theoretical, production from that lineup spot if they want to get serious.

And Kane does exactly that. Produce. Especially now that he’s healthy and will have a full summer of training. Guy produces. Enough worrying about RW1 producing. Enough hoping kakko will do it. He can’t. 4 5 years waiting for him to do it. Has left us in a bind every year

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Our window isn't short. We had one of the youngest teams. We had like 9 guys 25 and under. The Panthers and Oilers had 2, together.

Laf, Cuylle, Chytil, Kakko, Fox, Lindgren, Schneider, Miller, Berard, Rempe, Othmann, Edstrom, Perreault.

As long as we keep our 1st round picks and make smarter acquisitions, this team can be competitive for a long time.
Maybe.....but keep in mind we likely will have to replace Kreider -Trocheck -Panarin and maybe Mika as well out of our top 6 and other than Laf there is not much to fill with Perreault MAYBE being a top 6 guy . `That will shorten any team's window .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
And of course Trouba won't help but they don't need to know that!

I’ve defended Trouba over the years but some of the stuff about him is such hyperbole. These writers saying “He’s known for his intensity” yeah because he threw his helmet once. If he played his whole career like he did around that time when he was laying everyone out and having center ice Captain fights with Brady Tkachuk, he would’ve been beloved even with the contract. But he always seemed a day late and a dollar short with the so called ”intensity ”. It’s been a problem through he and Panarin’s whole tenure. It’s why I don’t mind Kane, who has his flaws but plays every game with actual intensity and respect from his teammates. But I digress.

And really at the end of the day it’s not more simple than the fact that he’s behind Fox and Schneider and a Cup contending team can’t pay their 3rd best RD 8 mil

Last edited:

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
The rangers are most likely about to pay Igor 12 mil a year. They will need all those mid level prospects cooking in HFD to be ready as a cheap bottom 6 going forward.
If they pay him 12 mill a year, they are crazy.

10. Not a penny more.

Tired of watching epic goaltending, and not enough horses to pull the cart to the finish line

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Maybe.....but keep in mind we likely will have to replace Kreider -Trocheck -Panarin and maybe Mika as well out of our top 6 and other than Laf there is not much to fill with Perreault MAYBE being a top 6 guy . `That will shorten any team's window .
This is why it helps to be proactive. Kreider has 3 years left. He can be traded before his contract is up to get us younger assets. Panarin can be traded. Mika is a harder trade, but not impossible if he's willing to waive.

I'm not suggesting we trade all of these players any time soon, but they can all be used as assets to help extend our window to compete. Panarin and/or Kreider could also be re-signed for cheaper if they are still playing well.

Some years we may need to take a small step back in order to take two steps forward. We have to be willing to do that if we want to be competitive year over year. I'd much rather do that than go all in every year until it blows up and we have to rebuild.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
That's only 4 guys, and while they are a big 4, they are all in their early 30s. Noone on the team is older than Kreider at 33. It's a young team. There are benefits and drawbacks to that, but I think it's better to be this young and coming up just short instead of old and losing. Haha

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The good thing is between Laf and GP, we should have two first line wings... getting a 1st line center is the trick (unless Laf pulls a Messier and is converted, then we'll need another 1W).

yup, but if they actually MAKE the team this year, that's even BETTER for the cap...

When he finally signs with us we'll have to see how Perreault adapts to the NHL but just from watching him at BC and the WJC last year he seems to be quite a lot like Panarin and Fox in that it's all hockey IQ and stick and skating skills. He can finish but he's first and foremost a playmaker and the puck seems to gravitate to him and he has eyes in the back of his head and knows where everyone is all the time and he makes the best play all the time and he reacts on opening instantly.

There are wings who can be elite without a top center on their line and Panarin is one and Perreault could be another. Pastrnak in Boston. Jack Hughes has played quite a bit of wing because he's bad on face-offs. Nylander makes things happen. There are not very many.

Reactions: bhamill

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
When he finally signs with us we'll have to see how Perreault adapts to the NHL but just from watching him at BC and the WJC last year he seems to be quite a lot like Panarin and Fox in that it's all hockey IQ and stick and skating skills. He can finish but he's first and foremost a playmaker and the puck seems to gravitate to him and he has eyes in the back of his head and knows where everyone is all the time and he makes the best play all the time and he reacts on opening instantly.

There are wings who can be elite without a top center on their line and Panarin is one and Perreault could be another. Pastrnak in Boston. Jack Hughes has played quite a bit of wing because he's bad on face-offs. Nylander makes things happen. There are not very many.
I see Perreault as the perfect RW to move Laf back to LW with Trocheck in 25-26. He is similar to Panarin and style seems to work well for Laf and Tro. Should be interesting.

Reactions: McRanger92

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Berard is ready. He was among the best AHL rookies in production and his skillset entirely translates to 5v5 hockey and is what the rangers suck ass at. (Speed, puck carrying).
he's ready playing style wise. the question is, is he strong enough to play his style in the NHL? His summer should be about improving core strength and his base. But in terms of his overall game, he's the most ready of all the forward prospects in Hartford. Not counting Edstrom (who was taxi squad/black ace end of the year).

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I can’t see the rangers trading lindgren if they trade trouba
That’d probably be a bit much of a shakeup but my hope would be finding a real partner for Fox and sliding lindgren down the lineup
Why would it be such a big shakeup that it would be prohibitive? Yeah, bringing in a capable 1LD appropriate for the role is significant but replacing Trouba should be views as a 3rd pair move that happens all the time. This move is less about position improvement, but rather is about efficiency in using $8m cap to fill it - not dissimilar to why Goodrow was moved (who outside of his $3.6m cap hit was a perfectly acceptable 4th liner and PKer).

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is why it helps to be proactive. Kreider has 3 years left. He can be traded before his contract is up to get us younger assets. Panarin can be traded. Mika is a harder trade, but not impossible if he's willing to waive.

I'm not suggesting we trade all of these players any time soon, but they can all be used as assets to help extend our window to compete. Panarin and/or Kreider could also be re-signed for cheaper if they are still playing well.

Some years we may need to take a small step back in order to take two steps forward. We have to be willing to do that if we want to be competitive year over year. I'd much rather do that than go all in every year until it blows up and we have to rebuild.
full agree w/general premise about being proactive and x steps backward to then go x+ forward

Not seeing value in moving Kreider

Zib, bread, yes

Panarin to FL now should be pushed

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
we're gonna miss Trouba after he's gone you know that right? You'll hear screams of "WE NEED MUH GRIT" from the fanbase. Drury better have a solidified plan because you're not replacing that sandpaper that easily.
Problem is, this is the sandpaper that they envision Trouba is:
Trouba 1.png

And this is more accurately what he is:
Trouba 2.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad