Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Make a deal for Ehlers, replace Gus with Jones, add Othmann, Berard and Enstrom, give Robertson a chance and let's go and stop with the man on man D. Evaluate at the half way point.
(Essentially) 5 rookies on a team with Cup aspirations?

e05b4cb8-3825-4533-88e0-610bfad1d636_text.gif

Reactions: CLW

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Happy Trails Slats, never reached the pinnacle here with a Cup but he was pretty instrumental in rebuilding the organization's reputation post lockout/Dark Ages. He certainly had his misses, but the franchise was a model of consistency under him, whether some fans want to accept it or not.

My antenna is up given the news out of MSG over the last 8 hours. Knicks make a massive move sacrificing futures for a guy who is a perfect fit, thrilling their fans and players. Longtime Rangers Imperator retires the next morning. The runway seems pretty clear for Drury to make a splash, it's his show now. he needs to put his stamp on the team and be aggressive now, imo.

Oh yeah and the draft is in 2 days at the Dolan owned Sphere. Seems relevant.
Screenshot_20240626-090151.png

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
That is a good point. Some guys are looked at as losers on Buffalo and then go on to win. I had no idea Reinhardt was so good before we played him. I knew he was pretty good but I did not know he was that good.
It was pretty telling, that Casey Mittelstadt talked after the trade to Colorado like "this was the hardest I have ever practised, all the guys set a standard here". And on the other hand, Byram, who was like a bottom pairing defenceman when he left Colorado, was constantly just directing other Buffalo players on the ice, telling them where to go and what to do.

That team has just had such a loser mentality, and they have lacked good coaching for so long that it's dysfunctional beyond belief. They don't know how to practice like NHL players should, and they don't know what to do on the ice. But I guess Granato was a nice guy for the players...

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
None of this is done in a vacuum. Lets for a moment think through a scenario where the RW spot on Zibanejad's line needs to be a lower salary and look at Skinner that way.

Say Drury trades Lindgren but then they love the idea of bringing in Skjei. Well there goes $7m or so. They also, IMO, likely prioritize bringing in another center in case Chytil misses time. Say they spend $2m on Blueger. $9m down. Then they trade Kakko for Farabee, that adds $2.6m in cap hit.

Now they're looking for a top-9 RW. Perhaps Skinner, at a modest cap hit, makes sense playing with Cuylle/Berard and Chytil on the 3rd line? Or with Zibanejad and Kreider in the top-6 with Farabee playing with Chytil and Berard/Cuylle?

I guess my point is, Skinner isn't likely to command a contract where he would an 'answer' to anything. But the people calling him a bad player are missing the point. He's easily a top-9 scoring winger with a proven pedigree. Lets not forget that in the past 3 seasons, he has 92 goals (33, 35 and 24) playing Buffalo. Hell just last year he had 82 points in 79 games.

Yes he has his warts and he isn't overly physical but if the team is looking to beef up their depth scoring on that 3rd line, is Skinner really that bad of an option, say, at $2.5m?

I'm not saying he can't do it but I think you should keep in mind that Skinner is not a RW and when the entire FA market is available I think it makes more sense to sign a guy that we know is comfortable there rather than one we hope is comfortable there. Now, they do need a 3rd line LW but 3M spent there is 3M that can't be spent improving the top six RW or D.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One thing I think we need to keep in mind as far as point production for any new incoming players is that the Rangers 1st power play unit was pretty close to the top of the league last year and that unit is likely to stay together. I don't think it's likely that the Rangers are going to be able to improve much in that direction. Comparatively for a league wide mean it was pretty close to an expected maximum production last year.....so bringing in a Kane, Zegras, Farabee, Skinner or whoever this player(s) might help to form a better second power play unit but any one of them might not be putting up a lot of power play points. Like Lafreniere last year they're most likely going to need to produce most of their offense 5v5.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You can't give Tanev a retirement contract.

Not sure you can Roy 6 either.

Bertuzzi is an interesting one. Domi is very not interesting.

I don't think Roy gets $6m. Maybe in Canada that's needed but I think he's more likely to fall in that $5.5m range than $6m. He'd be a good get for the Rangers if they could make it work. He's a solid top-4 defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad