Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't actually hate the idea of Zegras. You always bet on talent. Easier to teach some grit to Zegras than make a grinder more skilled. I'm not sure he's what this team needs but whatever.

I'm just scared of what Drury would pay for him. Anaheim has fleeced some teams recently.

You can't teach grit, you either have it by now or never will. An old coach I had always said "it's easier to tame a tiger than to paint stripes on a house cat" truer words were never spoken

Reactions: leetch99

nyrob13

Jun 21, 2015
A Kakko for Farabee trade makes quite a bit of sense for both teams. Farabee is an offensive winger who plays with pace. I see him as a guy who will likely carve out a Reilly Smith-like career which is nothing to scoff at. Top-6 winger with skill and speed. Maybe a bit more points but hovering around that 55-60 point mark likely.

Farabee's 5v5 Corsi numbers are just okay and he his deployment leans towards offensive opportunities which makes sense. He can play both LW and RW although he prefers RW.

Farabee makes $5m for 3 more years. That's a contract that the team gave him expecting him to take the next step and he hasn't done so. In his first 2 years of his 6 year deal he had 39 points in 82 games (35 at 5v5) and 50 points in 82 games (41 at 5v5). He's 24 years old so he's nearing the point where he is what he is.

Kakko has upside and coming off an injury-plagued season but his defensive metrics are superb and he makes good plays in small areas of the ice. Something Torts would love. With Philly getting Mitchkov over, along with Konecny and Tippett, they may prefer a smaller cap hit and style of play Kakko can bring than another skilled winger.

From the Rangers perspective, Farabee would be a really nice, long term addition to that Zibanejad line and help increase depth scoring on the team. They have some younger wingers who probably top-out as 3rd line guys (Berard, Cuylle, Edstrom, Chmelar) with varying degrees of size that taking a chance on a skilled winger may make some sense.

How about a 3 teamer?

Kakko to PHI
Farabee and Lindgren to CAR
Necas to NY

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Upgrade the D first is something I think we all agree on.

People who are against guys like Kane/Skinner what do you want to do with our RW issue? Genuine question. Im not sold on Kane/Skinner, but they provide skill and ability to score at ES. I agree that I wouldnt want them if they want like 3-5 years etc.

Zegras? Will cost us. Not against it.

Do you want guys like Toffoli? Dude is going to get paid and get like 4-5 years. No thanks.
Do you trust plugging a guy like Othmann/Berard into a top 6 spot immediately? Or would you rather see them compete for the bottom 6?
Do you want them to go the route of get a fast plug and hope it solves the Kreider/Mika line? Hasnt worked for years.
I wouldnt be against trading Kakko/picks for someone. But I wouldnt want it to be for someone in their 30s.

I just dont think we have a lot of options for a top 6 RW. Unless we want to wait for the deadline and hope we catch lightning in a bottle.

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Skinner is the epitome of an uninspired move. We should be furious if that's Drury's answer to the top 6 issues.

None of this is done in a vacuum. Lets for a moment think through a scenario where the RW spot on Zibanejad's line needs to be a lower salary and look at Skinner that way.

Say Drury trades Lindgren but then they love the idea of bringing in Skjei. Well there goes $7m or so. They also, IMO, likely prioritize bringing in another center in case Chytil misses time. Say they spend $2m on Blueger. $9m down. Then they trade Kakko for Farabee, that adds $2.6m in cap hit.

Now they're looking for a top-9 RW. Perhaps Skinner, at a modest cap hit, makes sense playing with Cuylle/Berard and Chytil on the 3rd line? Or with Zibanejad and Kreider in the top-6 with Farabee playing with Chytil and Berard/Cuylle?

I guess my point is, Skinner isn't likely to command a contract where he would an 'answer' to anything. But the people calling him a bad player are missing the point. He's easily a top-9 scoring winger with a proven pedigree. Lets not forget that in the past 3 seasons, he has 92 goals (33, 35 and 24) playing Buffalo. Hell just last year he had 82 points in 79 games.

Yes he has his warts and he isn't overly physical but if the team is looking to beef up their depth scoring on that 3rd line, is Skinner really that bad of an option, say, at $2.5m?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I wouldn't mind Skinner at all if he's part of a good offseason overall. If it's just Skinner and a bunch of other dreck, that feels like a band-aid.

Rangers are a good team, but they need to jump up a level to compete with Florida. Adding a ring chaser with no playoff experience or willingness to defend/play physical/forecheck would be completely illogical to me regardless of his player card. Let him go to the Panthers so he can shirk those responsibilities and not get called out for it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
None of this is done in a vacuum. Lets for a moment think through a scenario where the RW spot on Zibanejad's line needs to be a lower salary and look at Skinner that way.

Say Drury trades Lindgren but then they love the idea of bringing in Skjei. Well there goes $7m or so. They also, IMO, likely prioritize bringing in another center in case Chytil misses time. Say they spend $2m on Blueger. $9m down. Then they trade Kakko for Farabee, that adds $2.6m in cap hit.

Now they're looking for a top-9 RW. Perhaps Skinner, at a modest cap hit, makes sense playing with Cuylle/Berard and Chytil on the 3rd line? Or with Zibanejad and Kreider in the top-6 with Farabee playing with Chytil and Berard/Cuylle?

I guess my point is, Skinner isn't likely to command a contract where he would an 'answer' to anything. But the people calling him a bad player are missing the point. He's easily a top-9 scoring winger with a proven pedigree. Lets not forget that in the past 3 seasons, he has 92 goals (33, 35 and 24) playing Buffalo. Hell just last year he had 82 points in 79 games.

Yes he has his warts and he isn't overly physical but if the team is looking to beef up their depth scoring on that 3rd line, is Skinner really that bad of an option, say, at $2.5m?

Skinner, Farabee, Skjei and Blueger feels like rearranging the furniture over actual improvement. I really like the Farabee/Kakko idea and would do that regardless, but they need to think bigger at this juncture imo.

If Drury can move Trouba, I think they will go hard at Guentzel. Otherwise get creative. I'd like to see him go after Mcgroarty as well. We signed Hayes and guaranteed him ice time coming off a Cup run and it worked out well for us. If they can add Farabee and McGroarty on the right side in the middle 6, Id love that. And it would leave some wiggle room to upgrade the defense.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers are a good team, but they need to jump up a level to compete with Florida. Adding a ring chaser with no playoff experience or willingness to defend/play physical/forecheck would be completely illogical to me regardless of his player card. Let him go to the Panthers so he can shirk those responsibilities and not get called out for it.
No, I am concerned about his inability to defend and what that says about his overall game/what holes might exist there.

All I'm saying is, if we addressed some of the issues like fixing the defense, separating some of these dumbass combos, and maybe adding a Colton, I wouldn't be against Skinner if we still had the money left.

He for sure drives 5v5 offense which we need.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
No, I am concerned about his inability to defend and what that says about his overall game/what holes might exist there.

All I'm saying is, if we addressed some of the issues like fixing the defense, separating some of these dumbass combos, and maybe adding a Colton, I wouldn't be against Skinner if we still had the money left.

Im strongly against but also pretty open minded. I guess id need to see the final roster before judging Skinner but he' low on my personal wish list.

Reactions: Machinehead

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I thought that but hes only asking for 8.5. thats pretty reasonable. i thought he'd get closer to 10. Its an option at least.
I agree $8.5M is more reasonable for Guentzel but don’t like spending big cap hits on guys who are not filling elite roles on the team. He’s a good player, and for some teams worth that hit but not this team.

I’d prefer to fill that top 6 W slot on a short term basis with a Cup winning veteran, a Kane or Stamkos, to bridge the gap until Perreault is ready while providing some will to win and leadership.

Both could be had on a 2/3 year deal and if the price is right, it’s a perfect storm. It’ll allow Drury to add a D and 1/2 bottom 6 guys with some meat

Reactions: Atax

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Skinner, Farabee, Skjei and Blueger feels like rearranging the furniture over actual improvement. I really like the Farabee/Kakko idea and would do that regardless, but they need to think bigger at this juncture imo.

If Drury can move Trouba, I think they will go hard at Guentzel. Otherwise get creative. I'd like to see him go after Mcgroarty as well. We signed Hayes and guaranteed him ice time coming off a Cup run and it worked out well for us. If they can add Farabee and McGroarty on the right side in the middle 6, Id love that. And it would leave some wiggle room to upgrade the defense.

No disagreement from me, just stating that in a vacuum Skinner may not be attractive but when we look at the picture as a whole, he isn't a bad option if the chips fall differently.

I'm not saying I hope they sign SKjie, just that is money dries up, Skinner as a top-9 RW isn't horrendous. And if it happens, it likely means other moves have been made taking up cap space

This is put more succinctly than I have been saying but this is my point also

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Considering every single ex-Sabre seems to win the Cup these days, YES! YES YES YES!
That is a good point. Some guys are looked at as losers on Buffalo and then go on to win. I had no idea Reinhardt was so good before we played him. I knew he was pretty good but I did not know he was that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad