Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I don’t think there’s a chance in hell the Rangers go with 2 rookies on the 4th line. Laviolette would bench them so often and burn out his regulars before the all star break.
Probably a 3 man rotation of edstrom/rempe/brodz for 2 spots. Edstrom played 5 seasons pro in sweden and is gonna be 24 years old in early october.

Lavi aint rolling 3 lines in november lol

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He had 72 in 81 this past season and was literally PPG in the playoffs. He had as many points as games played in the 2024 playoffs, the one that just happened.

Even at his absolute worst, he can score. Trying to deny that or that he's good on the powerplay is so f***ing weird.
He just can't carry a line. He was able to for a very brief period. And honestly there aren't very many that can.

Since the 21-22 season, we've been expecting someone to take the reigns of being the RW on that line, it hasn't happened, but they've never had even 2nd line play out of that spot. It's been 3rd line type play, at best. Honestly, Vatrano and Roslovic have been the more successful options. Guess when Zibanejad was a PPG player in the playoff? With those guys.

I don't buy into Kreider and Zibanejad needing to be separated. I'm asking they get a 2nd line talent player to run with them. Regardless of what line the player is on, we need a 55-60 point player. When something like that doesn't work, I'll change my mind of them having to be on different lines. If Laviolette does it in camp, it won't bother me either.

Reactions: Machinehead

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Many people shitting on Kakko had very similar things to say about Laf exactly a year ago.

A year ago, Laf was 2 years younger than KK is today. It gets less likely that a player bursts out as he gets older.

Some people being wrong about Player A, doesn't mean all the other players will exceed their expectations also. Does Laf prove that Kravtsov and Lias are about to bloom? McIlrath? Blackburn? Malhotra? Maybe Pavel Brendl is about to hit it big? All of them were top 10 picks also. Age matters.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Probably a 3 man rotation of edstrom/rempe/brodz for 2 spots. Edstrom played 5 seasons pro in sweden and is gonna be 24 years old in early october.

Lavi aint rolling 3 lines in november lol
I get all that and I hear you but Edstrom is still new to the NHL as is Rempe even though he’s younger. My point is they’re unknown commodities and coaches don’t like taking chances especially on 2 unknowns at the same time. I know all of Brodzinski, Rempe and Edstrom have all played center at times in their careers but my gut tells me the Rangers are gonna sign someone like a Bonino as insurance.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
A year ago, Laf was 2 years younger than KK is today. It gets less likely that a player bursts out as he gets older.

Some people being wrong about Player A, doesn't mean all the other players will exceed their expectations also. Does Laf prove that Kravtsov and Lias are about to bloom? McIlrath? Blackburn? Malhotra? Maybe Pavel Brendl is about to hit it big? All of them were top 10 picks also. Age matters.
Don't sleep on Jamie Lundmark

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I think another unfortunate thing is the Rangers kind of screwed themselves with how they used Rempe once he got called up. The hype and the attention he got. It serves him or the team no good having him play 4 mins a night. He should be playing and growing in Hartford. Problem is, since the Rempe call up the Rangers started to get that goon team reputation a little bit when you have guys like Rempe, Trouba, Goodrow, Cuylle, Lindgren. Goodrow is gone, Rempe might not be on the team to start the season. Trouba might not be on the team either. Now you’ve gone and pissed off all of your rival teams like the Devils who went NYR 2010 Carcillo on Gaborik and are out for blood still. I know some will disagree but the Rangers might be in danger in rivalry games by turning over the roster so much. I’m not saying they should have kept Goodrow and keep Lindgren/Trouba I’m just saying the Rangers went and poked the bear and better be ready for retaliation next season. Just a thought.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t think there’s a chance in hell the Rangers go with 2 rookies on the 4th line. Laviolette would bench them so often and burn out his regulars before the all star break.
bold: if true, this is where they have to bend, buckle, and break and admit bern has been right, they have been wrong, and they need to develop youth by playing, even if it means growing pains.
End result is better, and ultimately cannot be denied.

comment:
your tagline MHFGA may be challenged in that HF in varying degrees has usually been great!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I get all that and I hear you but Edstrom is still new to the NHL as is Rempe even though he’s younger. My point is they’re unknown commodities and coaches don’t like taking chances especially on 2 unknowns at the same time. I know all of Brodzinski, Rempe and Edstrom have all played center at times in their careers but my gut tells me the Rangers are gonna sign someone like a Bonino as insurance.
you maybe right
but it would still be their mistake

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I think another unfortunate thing is the Rangers kind of screwed themselves with how they used Rempe once he got called up. The hype and the attention he got. It serves him or the team no good having him play 4 mins a night. He should be playing and growing in Hartford. Problem is, since the Rempe call up the Rangers started to get that goon team reputation a little bit when you have guys like Rempe, Trouba, Goodrow, Cuylle, Lindgren. Goodrow is gone, Rempe might not be on the team to start the season. Trouba might not be on the team either. Now you’ve gone and pissed off all of your rival teams like the Devils who went NYR 2010 Carcillo on Gaborik and are out for blood still. I know some will disagree but the Rangers might be in danger in rivalry games by turning over the roster so much. I’m not saying they should have kept Goodrow and keep Lindgren/Trouba I’m just saying the Rangers went and poked the bear and better be ready for retaliation next season. Just a thought.
sorry, no strong disagree
you don't give the kid 4 mins a night
you start 4, then 6, etc etc instead of bonino/Pitlick

youth = energy = mo important for POs

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It’s going to be interesting seeing what Drury does to fill the right wing position. Marchasshole is gonna cost too much because it’ll be his last big deal. Guentzel will cost too much and have too many years on the contract. Unless Trouba magically gets traded I don’t see Guentzel being signed. Toffoli isn’t bad. Stamkos will cost too much unless he goes scorned ex girlfriend mode. Kane? He said he had unfinished business here and Mika said he wants a passer on his line. It would work salary wise and it would be a shorter deal with his age. He put up 47 points in 50 games. I mean it’s the most obvious Rangers move ever.
The Rangers need another small winger.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Lindgren and Kakko as a package would be interesting

Not sure if they will aim for ufa replacements then flip

Kakko had 40 points at 22 years old, had a bad season because he sustained a bad injury.

Colton about to be 28 just hit a career high of 40 points this season.

Yea, i’m keeping the younger guy who is still developing.

I’d set Kakko free in the right deal
He needs a fresh start with new linemates

Can he be a good 3rd liner in NY sure but he’s not clicking with this top 6

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Filip Chytil. His buyout is 1/3. If the Rangers wanted to get out from the contract and they weren't sure about Chytil's health, the Rangers would save money. He doesn't have much trade value.

View attachment 885014
Without Chytil, we don't have a 3rd line center. We'd end up spending whatever we are saving, and perhaps more, to replace him. If healthy, Chytil is likely better than whomever we would replace him with.

It's in our best interest to keep Chytil for at least 1 more year. If he gets hurt again, we have LTIR to work with. If he isn't effective, we can still buy him out next year at 1/3rd. But if he stays healthy and returns to form, he can help us win or be a trade chip to get someone who can help us win.

We're more likely to need that cap space next summer than this summer, so we're better off waiting to buy him out, if that's the route we end up going.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
People forget, but Zibanejad had some awful concussion issues early in his career too, to the point where retirement was a very real possibility. He hasn't had one in years at this point. Chytil could very well end up being the same way

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Without Chytil, we don't have a 3rd line center. We'd end up spending whatever we are saving, and perhaps more, to replace him. If healthy, Chytil is likely better than whomever we would replace him with.

It's in our best interest to keep Chytil for at least 1 more year. If he gets hurt again, we have LTIR to work with. If he isn't effective, we can still buy him out next year at 1/3rd. But if he stays healthy and returns to form, he can help us win or be a trade chip to get someone who can help us win.

We're more likely to need that cap space next summer than this summer, so we're better off waiting to buy him out, if that's the route we end up going.
Waiting for him to get hurt again & it will happen, just means we'll get caught with our pants down by depending on Brodz to step in; which isn't an ideal solution. I think you need to bring someone in this offseason for the 3C & move Chytil to RW. Options like Stephenson or Colton make a lot of sense. Stephenson is an elite PKer who can replace Goodrow's PK spot & add desperately needed speed to the lineup. Colton brings a sandpaper element & would probably blossom with some talent on the wings around him. Either would be good for 40-50 points & stabilize our C depth for not too much money.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
People forget, but Zibanejad had some awful concussion issues early in his career too, to the point where retirement was a very real possibility. He hasn't had one in years at this point. Chytil could very well end up being the same way
I don't recall zib needing to sit out nearly an entire season recovering from one though.

The big issue for nyr is their lack of depth at the position. If they don't get another center here they are looking at brozinski as the 3c of chytil gets hurt, and they already need to find a capable 4c now that Goodrow is gone. They have no depth at all. It will be interesting to see where they find some for the center position

Waiting for him to get hurt again & it will happen, just means we'll get caught with our pants down by depending on Brodz to step in; which isn't an ideal solution. I think you need to bring someone in this offseason for the 3C & move Chytil to RW. Options like Stephenson or Colton make a lot of sense. Stephenson is an elite PKer who can replace Goodrow's PK spot & add desperately needed speed to the lineup. Colton brings a sandpaper element & would probably blossom with some talent on the wings around him. Either would be good for 40-50 points & stabilize our C depth for not too much money.
Selfishly I would love both. I believe Colton can play the wing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad