Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
What about a 3 team deal with Vegas and Utah.

To VGK: Chytil, 2024 2nd (UTA), 2025 2nd (TOR)
To UTA: Lindgren
To NYR: Theodore

Utah pays 2 2nds for Lindgren, Rangers pay Chytil and Lindgren for Theodore, Vegas gets a C to replace Stephenson and a couple of picks to maneuver for more help
Big yes from me.

I'm a huge fan of Theodore.

I doubt that Vegas moves him for that though. Is he even up for a trade?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Skjei fits the criteria because he can move the puck and skate but if that’s Drury’s big move on D, Lord help us. I’d take him over Lindgren by a mile in any case.

Polarizing take I’m sure, but, Zadarov is guy. Russian Beukeboom who can at handle top 4 minutes physically. Also isn’t afraid to take or give a hit like most of our D. I acknowledge he’s not a perfect player and will make mistakes but he’s what we need to complement our top guys. A Russian bear for Igor and Panarin can’t hurt either.
I've always liked Zadorov but he's apparently looking for 6x6, big pass on that.

Reactions: McRanger92

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Floating it out there to gauge the room.

Rangers are close. 2 ECF in 3 seasons. Falling 2 wins shy of the SCF. 6 wins shy of a Championship twice in 3 years.

Rangers are in it. But should they go all-in?

Can they afford Sam Reinhart?

Kreider - Zibanejad - Reinhart
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Not many top 6 groups better than that in the league.

Problem is, would they even be able to make it work financially.
Idk if they can afford it but I think you are right They have to consider it.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Some of these guys aren't going to get the $'s they think they're going to get. The longer players hold on to their hopes in free agency without putting pen to paper the less money is around. Within a week or so it usually gets to a lot of dumpster diving....more and more players signing shorter terms and on the cheap. The Rangers did a lot of dumpster diving last year....all the UFA's we brought in came in under $1 mil per one year deals. Of them Quick worked out best and Vesey is solid in what he does and wants to be here.

There is talent in free agency---looking at top 6 F options the best names IMO are Reinhart, Guentzel, Marchessault and Lindholm. Two other F's I have an eye on Joshua and Lomberg. The D's I like most are Pesce, Skjei and Montour. Tanev may seem intriguing but he's 34. Matt Roy would be interesting. Zadorov is 29.....he's a big hitter but his play sometimes goes erratic. I think 6 for $6 for him would be too much too.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Its sad because Igor is so good, but signing him to the deal that he is rumored to be asking for is one of the worst moves we can make.

Just can't see a way to build a cup contender around a goalie making so much.

It's why this year was so painful. To have Laf and Igor at their cap hits right now gives us our best chance to win and that's gone after next season.

I do wonder what the market on Igor would be. Probably not as good as we'd hope. It never is for goalies
I agree with you, but I think it's crazy to talk about a market for him and suggest but isn't going to resign him. It just does not fit with anything this org does, right or wrong.

I also think that the money isn't going to be as bad relatively as those historical big goalie contracts with the way/rate the league is growing revenues and the implications it's going to have on the cap.

I just can't see any way that NYR moves away from Igor at this point.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Floating it out there to gauge the room.

Rangers are close. 2 ECF in 3 seasons. Falling 2 wins shy of the SCF. 6 wins shy of a Championship twice in 3 years.

Rangers are in it. But should they go all-in?

Can they afford Sam Reinhart?

Kreider - Zibanejad - Reinhart
Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Not many top 6 groups better than that in the league.

Problem is, would they even be able to make it work financially.
I mean on paper this makes perfect sense but if Z & Bread are ghosts in the playoffs again I doubt it’ll matter much.

Not saying you don’t do it at all… or similar… just stating the sad fact.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Utah pays 2 2nds for Lindgren, Rangers pay Chytil and Lindgren for Theodore, Vegas gets a C to replace Stephenson and a couple of picks to maneuver for more help

Theodore comes with a lot of risk…he’s missed big chunks of the last two seasons.
yes on kicking tires on Theo
but
no on Chyi in deal
add lesser pick like a 4th + get 2 2nds for Lind directly

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Its sad because Igor is so good, but signing him to the deal that he is rumored to be asking for is one of the worst moves we can make.

Just can't see a way to build a cup contender around a goalie making so much.

It's why this year was so painful. To have Laf and Igor at their cap hits right now gives us our best chance to win and that's gone after next season.

I do wonder what the market on Igor would be. Probably not as good as we'd hope. It never is for goalies
FLA is proving there’s only one way to do it. Moneypuck your way into nearly an entire D core. Oh, and have a Barkov.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

We are giving up Chytil and Lindgren, two RFAs for one season of Theodore? No thanks.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
If they can buyout hank and trade Leetch...I dont want to hear how putting Goodrow on waivers is ruthless. The guy had a freakin brutal year last year and I'm sure he knows it. Rangers are very lucky SJ was willing to take that on.

Reactions: Riche16

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rangers need a top 6 wing badly, I think they cleared Goodrow to make room for a splash. There are obvious tiers I see.

Pipe Dream trade candidates
Brady Tkachuk - seemingly not available yet, Rangers dont have the means to be the best offer if he does
Alex Tuch - perfect fit and NYR were interested enough for it to come up at the deadline. Not sure why Sabres trade him for less than a massive overpay (Schneider++)
Martin Necas - prop not a pipe dream, but I guy i'd be all over. Long term young RW weve been waiting for our prospects to develop into. Also would be nice to pilfer him from the Canes.

Mid-30s vets who can still play
Steven Stamkos - Can still score, looked like injuries were catching up to him but hes only missed 2 games the last 3 years. We'll see if Tampa lets him hit the market but I expect the Rangers to be very involved if he does.
Jonathan Marchessault - Fits the same mold as Stammer. Vegas needs to clear cap to keep him but I think thats a higher liklihood than Stammer staying in tampa

High-priced UFAs
Jake Guentzel - The path of least resistance. Obviously skilled ES scorer and playoff performer. NYR have had interest recently. I think his style fits seamlesslu with laff and trocheck, so Im not too concerned about a long term deal.
Sam Reinhart - Great player but kinda plays Kreider's role on special teams so not sure its a seamless fit. I would let it be Florida's problem paying a guy UFA money after a 57 goal season, but hes technically an option.

The Rest
Tyler Toffoli - Dime store version of Stammer/JAM. A guy who is more of a 30 goal player than 40, but has still won and performed in the playoffs throughout his career. He can't be the only move if he's the target imo, but hes not a terrible option.
Jake DeBrusk - Meh
Tyler Bertuzzi - Maple Leafs just tried it. Meh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad