Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
It’s not permanent, but it is silly that they feel they need more time to focus group their brand. They have been pushing for a team in Utah since 2022.

I don’t get it, we are not European soccer. Grow a set of a balls and pick a good team nam. How bout we call ourselves the ny hockey club lol. Just stupid. Have had 2 years to figure out a name.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
The Utah Hockey Club name for this year is a marketing gimmick. Gives them time to order merchandise for their real name and is a cool baked in "retro" throwback down the road for jerseys and stuff. Honestly it's pretty clever.

Reactions: Kaapo Cabana

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’d actually take a look at lafferty. Mucks it up, has some skill but can be an excellent 4th liner who can move up in a pinch and he plays all 3 forward positions, and shouldn’t cost too much.

Cant wait until he gets signed and then a look with Mika and Kreider. The new Dryden Hunt. No need for him. Another 4th liner. Makes no sense.

Reactions: pld459666

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You're giving the virtues of playing a guy who puts his team at a huge disadvantage while bad-mouthing the guy who graded out best in the series.
No, I'm sorry, but imo you are wrong about Rempe putting the team at a disadvantage.
His physical play is not easily measurable, but it passes the eye test.
You need only look.

View attachment 883019

View attachment 883020

View attachment 883021

Thoughts on this? Are the trades realistic? We might need to offer more for Theodore, a 1st instead of a 3rd. I'd be willing to do that if we intend to re-sign him.

I think Detroit might go for the Trouba trade. Holl was their least used dman last year. At the very least, Trouba should help their PK. We could drop the pick, take back one of Matta or Petry, or retain on Trouba, though I'd very much not want to do the latter. Matta and Petry both have 1 year remaining and could take Mancini's spot in the lineup. They'd have to retain a bit on Maatta, as he makes 3 mil. We could fit him in at 2.5 mil. Edvinson can take Maatta's place for Detroit.

Othmann could take the place of Berard, they could split time, or even Chmelar could get a shot. I think that top 6 gives Kakko his best chance at success. He needs a guy like Trocheck as his center. He's never going to mesh with Mika. Mika should hopefully find his game again playing with Panarin and Laf. If Kakko doesn't take the next step, or Othmann/Berard/Chmelar/etc. aren't effective, maybe Perreault can step in late and add a spark, a la Kreider in 2012.

This lineup leaves us with a bit of cap space, which will both help us at the deadline and help us going into next offseason. If Holl totally sucks and Mancini isn't ready, we can add a dman at the deadline. If we have to take back Maatta or Petry, their cap hit is off the books next summer.

In 2025, Lindgren can be traded (assuming no NMC). Holl can be bought out or demoted if we can't find a team that will take him for nothing. Goodrow could potentially be moved too or bought out (we'd save nearly 3 mil). And the cap should go up another 4 mil, if not more.

As of today, we have about 33 mil in cap space for 2025-26. With these moves, we'll have about 28 mil, if my math is correct. Is that enough to re-sign Theodore, Laf, Miller and Shesty, plus fill out the rest of the roster? Probably not, but we can create more space as I noted above. I think we can make it work.
Do not want to extend Lindy, deal w/a 2024 3rd for 2nds

Trouba, agree DET is a fit but don't want to take Holl off their hands.
JT retained down to 6.5 + a 4th
for
2 2nds

or just JT (again retained down to 6.5) for 2nd + a 3rd as a fallback

----
Shea Theo
just pls but depends on cost
we want a guy gives us 1 yr min and 3 yrs max
Fortescue + are in the system + available then

given that, if we are forced to buy and extend long term [5,6,7 yrs]
then realize now
we are setting up to have to deal in 2-3 yrs and while we may recover something this could go wrong depending on the return, even if we are not greedy and looking to b'e-ish

cost to acquire ST will be based on market, how many suitors w/cap

Am very open, but we need the situation to be a bit further developed before placing a bid.
We should expect he won't be either cheap or crazy expensive.

Jones + I don't think cuts it but if they are interested in youth, maybe BMB + could work?

I am not married to Zib, tho unfortunately he holds full nmc control.
If there was a def solution, ok.
Get a W.
Get a pivot and slide him over.

But there are too many variables and it is a lot of square into round thing.

As for the article, atm I think only real fits might be:
Oil = he plays w/Drai/McD
and
TOR he plays w/Matthews

we would want to ditch most of his contract for youth w/upside

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Throw this here but if the Knights don’t get Marner, I’d call them offering Panarin.
I am not sure bread goes west, let alone LV tho they are a quality comp esp for his 1 yr.

No, we have a good chance to move Panarin given he knows for sure he is not getting anywhere near 11+ from ny and due to cap may not get an offer, which is a better optic than an insultingly low one.

To avoid that, easy-peasy answer is bread to FL.
- famous buddies w/Bob
- will compete again if not cup camp
- no tax state
- decent chance he is extended for top $ retain
- if their top 50+ g scorer exits via ufa, they are interested

return?
they can either juggle and give us max cap relief
or Mikkola + rent us Ekblad for next season, a la A. Chapman, even if he returns to FL following season

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I'd really like to decide who our playoff core is not our core in general. Once we have our playoff core in mind then make a large trade or two trades to change the rest. In my mind our playoff core would have very few players outside of Igor, Troch, Laf, Kam, and Schneider. Possibly CK. You guys are not going to like this but I'd be open to moving any of the following because while they are core players they are not playoff core players in my view. Bread, Mika, KK, Fox, Trouba and Lindy would all be available for the right big trade. I would not give them away but I would look to package them for guys that will be better playoff performers.

Reactions: majordomo

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Vegas would have to dump a forward along with Theodore even if they don't try to resign JM. Barbashev seems nice.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
It’s not permanent, but it is silly that they feel they need more time to focus group their brand. They have been pushing for a team in Utah since 2022.
A while back, Sportsnet had a list of names they were considering -- after seeing them, they definitely need more time.....they were atrocious!!!!

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Can I just say, even though this is the wrong topic to post it on but what the actual f*** is Utah doing? Why are we naming the team the Utah hockey club? What type of fugazi crap is that?!! Literally makes the nhl worst league
Utah Hockey Club immediately became one of the better team names in the NHL. It's different, and MUCH better than the other abominations of mammoths and yetis and whatever the f***.

I hope they stick to the name, but re-design the logon and the uniforms. Those were meh.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Utah Hockey Club immediately became one of the better team names in the NHL. It's different, and MUCH better than the other abominations of mammoths and yetis and whatever the f***.

I hope they stick to the name, but re-design the logon and the uniforms. Those were meh.
It sucks but yeah much better than the proposed option . Blizzard, Freeze, Mammoth, ugh vomit worthy names

Reactions: majordomo

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I doubt the Leafs have the scrote to trade away Marner

Btw there’s an article on the Hockey News saying the Rangers handed the cup to Florida by not keeping Mikkola, Tarasenko, and …. baba booey Rodrigues??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad