Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
It is statistically factual:
- they won way more w/Rempe than w'o
- generally, no other single X factors besides Rempe to any degree

As to whether or not that means "the coach is an idiot", others can go there, I will try not to, but it DOES speak for itself.
bern was right, Rs braintrust/coach was wrong

Today he is a 4th liner
3rd line in near future is not unrealistic
extreme outside chance w/development starting now he could get as far as 2nd line

but in any event, not giving this guy mo mins was a mistake

And fair enuf, in general, it may be open to further review
BUT NO ?
Rempe was antidote for physically dominant Cats team
playing him -- and God, I wish we also had Edstrom -- for mo mins WOULD have left our other 3 lines mo refreshed and effective

1718415324992.png

Rangers vs. Fla in playoffs at 5x5.

Clearly the Rangers needed more Rempe to win the series.

The constantly shit upon Panarin clearly held the Rangers back.

Fair is foul and foul is fair.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Are we all blind or is max domi the single most obvious ufa target in a long time for NYR?

- plays C and RW both of which are our biggest positions of need
- can be a C is chytil dies again or a capable top 6 RW
- good faceoff guy
- plays with an edge and not afraid to mix it up
- price is very reasonable. AFP has him at 2 X $3.65. Id have no problem signing him 3 X $4mm and getting him for his ages 29-32 seasons

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Are we all blind or is max domi the single most obvious ufa target in a long time for NYR?

- good faceoff guy
- price is very reasonable. AFP has him at 2 X $3.65. Id have no problem signing him 3 X $4mm and getting him for his ages 29-32 seasons
He is a pretender. Would be better off with Bertuzzi or Joshua. Or just playing Othmann and Berard.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
The Rangers need to stay out of the deep end in UFA, and let players come to them (if they want to be here) and see what’s left after the initial frenzy. They just don’t have the cap space to go and sign any of these guys.

Any improvement should come via trade. Brady Tkachuk. Shea Theodore. Those would be the two guys I target and if I couldn’t land them I would run it back with minor tweaks.
What in the world are you trading for Brady or theodore that either rod those GMs would actually accept?!?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
View attachment 882951

please
bread had every opportunity
he is a victim of bromide applies to nearly all sports:
"good big man usually defeats good little man"

Vs comparable size/tufness, this ^ is not a big whoop

but vs extreme physical opponent -- FL -- more Rempe was UNQUESTIONABLY necessary

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK

- good faceoff guy
I’d actually take a look at lafferty. Mucks it up, has some skill but can be an excellent 4th liner who can move up in a pinch and he plays all 3 forward positions, and shouldn’t cost too much.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
What in the world are you trading for Brady or theodore that either rod those GMs would actually accept?!?
Theodore might become available bc of Vegas’s cap situation. For Brady, I’d trade quite a bit push comes to shove. Laf, Igor, Fox off the table but anyone else would be on the table. I’d try to hold Perreault and Schneider, but would relent on one of them if I had to

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

- good faceoff guy
He screams Rangers consolation pick after losing out on someone they actually want

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
While we all love talking trade and whatever to fix our club I sometimes wonder like I did last year at this time if we might almost have everything we need in house to be better ?

We will have CK-Mika-Tro-Panarin as solids and then we have Laf who will undoubtedly be much better and the return of Chytil and possibly a last shot of Kakko in his prove it season . If 2 of the above players improve then we are dangerous once more . PLUS.....we will have Cuylle who gained some valuable playoff experience and hopefully Othmann filling out our top 9 . It ...if things gel....is pretty darn good .

Our 4th line can be fabricated from Goodrow/Rempe/Vesey/Brodz/Bedard/Sykora /Edstrom and likely a walk on or two for try outs . That is a deep and slightly more aggressive/faster/hopefully hungrier ... forward unit for an 82 game season . Maybe Perreault enters the forward scene late in the season.

Now....the elephant in the room situation on our blueline . How does the club rework our blueline such that it can sustain the rigors of playoff battle ? I don't have the answers ...many people on here have a better understanding of our D and those available around the league . I do know it needs fixing !!! Shesty eventually will be injured with that kind of workload every game .

We have possible 3-4 good guys there now in Fox and Schneider and Miller who has the tools but no toolbox and Jones knocking on the door and maybe Troubs .....where do we go with that blueline to upgrade it ? It , as of now will be fine in the regular season...but playoff games are another beast . Maybe we add one rugged mobile guy for the start of the season and another at the deadline .....but who ????

I doubt the Rangers tinker on the forwards until near the trade deadline . as some have said....fix the blueine and go from there . On this Saturday morning....that does make a lot of sense .

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

UnparalledPark

Jun 15, 2022
To get Brady would require 2 of Laf, Igor, and Schneider plus other assets. Not likely to happen unless Igor insists on 11 mil or more. Ott has been without good goal tending for so long, they would probably pay 12+ mil. The question then would be, would Igor be willing to sign long term there. Not advocating anything here, just my opinion.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

- good faceoff guy

My problem with Domi is he doesn’t shoot the puck and he isn’t THAT physical really. I’d prefer Joshua to him

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
While we all love talking trade and whatever to fix our club I sometimes wonder like I did last year at this time if we might almost have everything we need in house to be better ?

We will have CK-Mika-Tro-Panarin as solids and then we have Laf who will undoubtedly be much better and the return of Chytil and possibly a last shot of Kakko in his prove it season . If 2 of the above players improve then we are dangerous once more . PLUS.....we will have Cuylle who gained some valuable playoff experience and hopefully Othmann filling out our top 9 . It ...if things gel....is pretty darn good .

Our 4th line can be fabricated from Goodrow/Rempe/Vesey/Brodz/Bedard/Sykora /Edstrom and likely a walk on or two for try outs . That is a deep and slightly more aggressive/faster/hopefully hungrier ... forward unit for an 82 game season . Maybe Perreault enters the forward scene late in the season.

Now....the elephant in the room situation on our blueline . How does the club rework our blueline such that it can sustain the rigors of playoff battle ? I don't have the answers ...many people on here have a better understanding of our D and those available around the league . I do know it needs fixing !!! Shesty eventually will be injured with that kind of workload every game .

We have possible 3-4 good guys there now in Fox and Schneider and Miller who has the tools but no toolbox and Jones knocking on the door and maybe Troubs .....where do we go with that blueline to upgrade it ? It , as of now will be fine in the regular season...but playoff games are another beast . Maybe we add one rugged mobile guy for the start of the season and another at the deadline .....but who ????

I doubt the Rangers tinker on the forwards until near the trade deadline . as some have said....fix the blueine and go from there . On this Saturday morning....that does make a lot of sense .
Blueline definitely needs some work....however, I can't see going into next season with the same top 5 and expecting better results. I could be wrong about this, but .......

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
please
bread had every opportunity
he is a victim of bromide applies to nearly all sports:
"good big man usually defeats good little man"

Vs comparable size/tufness, this ^ is not a big whoop

but vs extreme physical opponent -- FL -- more Rempe was UNQUESTIONABLY necessary

You're giving the virtues of playing a guy who puts his team at a huge disadvantage while bad-mouthing the guy who graded out best in the series.

In case you didn't see another post of mine, none of the big names on every team that played against Florida scored a single even-strength goal against them.

If you were an Edmonton fan, you'd be bad-mouthing MCDavid and Draisaitl right now and pleading for more Corey Perry.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You're giving the virtues of playing a guy who puts his team at a huge disadvantage while bad-mouthing the guy who graded out best in the series.

In case you didn't see another post of mine, none of the big names on every team that played against Florida scored a single even-strength goal against them.

If you were an Edmonton fan, you'd be bad-mouthing MCDavid and Draisaitl right now and pleading for more Corey Perry.
Rightfully so.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
View attachment 882951

3 of our 4 lines caved. Data maybe tilted with how bad we were caved in games 3 and 4 but mostly matches eye test as well.

Also our 2 Puck moving D had the best CF.

I know guys like Larry Brooks look at the big players for Florida and want to copy paste that. We need some mobility on the back end too.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
1718461505104.png

1718461548785.png

1718461581010.png

Thoughts on this? Are the trades realistic? We might need to offer more for Theodore, a 1st instead of a 3rd. I'd be willing to do that if we intend to re-sign him.

I think Detroit might go for the Trouba trade. Holl was their least used dman last year. At the very least, Trouba should help their PK. We could drop the pick, take back one of Matta or Petry, or retain on Trouba, though I'd very much not want to do the latter. Matta and Petry both have 1 year remaining and could take Mancini's spot in the lineup. They'd have to retain a bit on Maatta, as he makes 3 mil. We could fit him in at 2.5 mil. Edvinson can take Maatta's place for Detroit.

Othmann could take the place of Berard, they could split time, or even Chmelar could get a shot. I think that top 6 gives Kakko his best chance at success. He needs a guy like Trocheck as his center. He's never going to mesh with Mika. Mika should hopefully find his game again playing with Panarin and Laf. If Kakko doesn't take the next step, or Othmann/Berard/Chmelar/etc. aren't effective, maybe Perreault can step in late and add a spark, a la Kreider in 2012.

This lineup leaves us with a bit of cap space, which will both help us at the deadline and help us going into next offseason. If Holl totally sucks and Mancini isn't ready, we can add a dman at the deadline. If we have to take back Maatta or Petry, their cap hit is off the books next summer.

In 2025, Lindgren can be traded (assuming no NMC). Holl can be bought out or demoted if we can't find a team that will take him for nothing. Goodrow could potentially be moved too or bought out (we'd save nearly 3 mil). And the cap should go up another 4 mil, if not more.

As of today, we have about 33 mil in cap space for 2025-26. With these moves, we'll have about 28 mil, if my math is correct. Is that enough to re-sign Theodore, Laf, Miller and Shesty, plus fill out the rest of the roster? Probably not, but we can create more space as I noted above. I think we can make it work.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
View attachment 883019

View attachment 883020

View attachment 883021

Thoughts on this? Are the trades realistic? We might need to offer more for Theodore, a 1st instead of a 3rd. I'd be willing to do that if we intend to re-sign him.

I think Detroit might go for the Trouba trade. Holl was their least used dman last year. At the very least, Trouba should help their PK. We could drop the pick, take back one of Matta or Petry, or retain on Trouba, though I'd very much not want to do the latter. Matta and Petry both have 1 year remaining and could take Mancini's spot in the lineup. They'd have to retain a bit on Maatta, as he makes 3 mil. We could fit him in at 2.5 mil. Edvinson can take Maatta's place for Detroit.

Othmann could take the place of Berard, they could split time, or even Chmelar could get a shot. I think that top 6 gives Kakko his best chance at success. He needs a guy like Trocheck as his center. He's never going to mesh with Mika. Mika should hopefully find his game again playing with Panarin and Laf. If Kakko doesn't take the next step, or Othmann/Berard/Chmelar/etc. aren't effective, maybe Perreault can step in late and add a spark, a la Kreider in 2012.

This lineup leaves us with a bit of cap space, which will both help us at the deadline and help us going into next offseason. If Holl totally sucks and Mancini isn't ready, we can add a dman at the deadline. If we have to take back Maatta or Petry, their cap hit is off the books next summer.

In 2025, Lindgren can be traded (assuming no NMC). Holl can be bought out or demoted if we can't find a team that will take him for nothing. Goodrow could potentially be moved too or bought out (we'd save nearly 3 mil). And the cap should go up another 4 mil, if not more.

As of today, we have about 33 mil in cap space for 2025-26. With these moves, we'll have about 28 mil, if my math is correct. Is that enough to re-sign Theodore, Laf, Miller and Shesty, plus fill out the rest of the roster? Probably not, but we can create more space as I noted above. I think we can make it work.
Vegas is talking about sending Theodore as the main piece in a trade for Marner. Jones and a 3rd ain’t gonna do it for them.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Vegas is talking about sending Theodore as the main piece in a trade for Marner. Jones and a 3rd ain’t gonna do it for them.
Maybe not, which is why I mentioned bumping it up to a 1st. The only way Marner works is if Toronto retains half. I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that. Jones replaces Theodore for cheap and Vegas can re-sign Marchessault, for probably less than Marner would cost at 50%, and not have to worry about re-signing Marner to a huge contract next summer.

It's Vegas though, so who knows.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Can I just say, even though this is the wrong topic to post it on but what the actual f*** is Utah doing? Why are we naming the team the Utah hockey club? What type of fugazi crap is that?!! Literally makes the nhl worst league

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Can I just say, even though this is the wrong topic to post it on but what the actual f*** is Utah doing? Why are we naming the team the Utah hockey club? What type of fugazi crap is that?!! Literally makes the nhl worst league
It’s not permanent, but it is silly that they feel they need more time to focus group their brand. They have been pushing for a team in Utah since 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad