Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
God I hate this guy
Dont worry, we'll keep force feeding him time on the PP and putting him out there for matchups against top C. It will surely workout next season. He may not score an ES goal for 30 games, but as long as he's happy with his game, thats what matters. Caved in for 40 minutes? They didnt score, so count it!

Reactions: tiggles

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I really like Tkachuk, but paying the price for him is not possible for a team devoid of that many high end assets. Drury and his team should be scouring the UFA pool for 2-3 key pieces that fit the need of the team. They need a few guys who are more than willing to engage physically and get to the hard areas of the ice. Dakota Joshua would be a good start.
This ^ and esp da bold

There's 1 team in the league better than us. What future are we hoarding assets for? Igor is getting 11mil+. Laf with PPG season is getting 8-9mil+. We have 1 year left before the bill comes due. I know you mean well but saying we should keep our assets and forgo a guy like Tkachuk in favor of Dakota Joshua (who i like) is essentially the "We have food at home" meme
For the purposes of intelligently maxing our window instead of repeating the stupidity of win now, which by costing assets, usually futures, shortens the window.

Once and for all, listen to bern.
As to Joshua, don't have prelim read on value v how much we give him, etc.
pass for now

I’d deal Miller before Schneider.
We need both
stop gutting youth
both stay unless there is a crazy good offer = too much to turn down

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There's 1 team in the league better than us. What future are we hoarding assets for? Igor is getting 11mil+. Laf with PPG season is getting 8-9mil+. We have 1 year left before the bill comes due. I know you mean well but saying we should keep our assets and forgo a guy like Tkachuk in favor of Dakota Joshua (who i like) is essentially the "We have food at home" meme

Probably would need to be included in any large deal strictly for cap space.

I fail to see how moving assets, prime assets really, out for Tkachuk would make the team better next year. Even a Miller + Chytil + 1st deal makes the team worse next year.

I could see an argument for adding Tkachuk LONG TERM but generally the year after a large acquisition like this, barring very impressive depth in the organization, leaves the team worse off in the short term.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I fail to see how moving assets, prime assets really, out for Tkachuk would make the team better next year. Even a Miller + Chytil + 1st deal makes the team worse next year.

I could see an argument for adding Tkachuk LONG TERM but generally the year after a large acquisition like this, barring very impressive depth in the organization, leaves the team worse off in the short term.

Tkachuk is a now and later move. He definitely makes us much better next year and beyond.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Tkachuk is a fine player,but he isn't going to get the same opportunities here as he does with the Sens.Sure,he would be in our top 6,but he isn't going to get prime pp time here unless a big piece of it is moved.His point totals here won't be as good as they are with the Sens.The cost to get him is going to be astronomical too.I don't think Drury should be giving up those kinds of pieces for a guy who won't produce as much here

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Again, I'd argue that he makes the team worse next year, but I agree, long term he would be a benefit. You would basically be sacrificing all depth for another high end piece. Could it work? Sure. It could also backfire horribly.

Is Dakota Joshua putting us over the hump. Being conservative with assets now doesnt make much sense to me. You might as well use them to do something culture changing, or else theyll be rebuilding with an 11 million dollar goalie in 2 years.

Tkachuk is a fine player,but he isn't going to get the same opportunities here as he does with the Sens.Sure,he would be in our top 6,but he isn't going to get prime pp time here unless a big piece of it is moved.His point totals here won't be as good as they are with the Sens.The cost to get him is going to be astronomical too.I don't think Drury should be giving up those kinds of pieces for a guy who won't produce as much here

Life without Panarin and Kreider is much closer than people realize. I'd rather Tkachuk replace them long term than hope Othmann becomes more than a PP merchant we are running Mika out of town for being.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I’d deal Miller, Kakko
Is Dakota Joshua putting us over the hump. Being conservative with assets now doesnt make much sense to me. You might as well use them to do something culture changing, or else theyll be rebuilding with an 11 million dollar goalie in 2 years.

Life without Panarin and Kreider is much closer than people realize. I'd rather Tkachuk replace them long term than hope Othmann becomes more than a PP merchant we are running Mika out of town for being.

Didnt Dolan say he wants to make a splash at the draft. A Tkachuk trade would be that splash.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'd argue that this current team, as it is, could make some tweaks including adding Joshua and put it over the hump, yes. Getting (2) d-men and adding Joshua and this team is cooking with gas for next year.

Not to be forgotten, Carolina and Florida are going to lose pieces after this season. Skjei, Terreveinen, ADA, Pesce, Guentzel, Martinook, Noesen, maybe Necas. Montour, Kulikov, Reinhardt, Okposo, Lomberg, Cousins, Stenlund, Tarasenko, OEL.

I mean some of these guys may be back but many will leave for greener pastures. Those teams will not be the same and if Drury is smart, he can create cap space and improve what was probably a top-4 team this season without detonating a large bomb in the middle of the roster

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Team we just went 2-4 against is going to walk their way to home plate in the Stanley Cup Finals, so one wonders if Drury might think 4-5 major moves is overkill this offseason.

I thought calling to send out Lindgren and Trouba and signing a top 6 forward was a major shakeup, but some of you all are pulling for an honest to goodness star-acquisition blockbuster. Not sure we have the assets for that without mortaging the team's future under Fox and Laf later in the decade.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Brady Tkachuk is an elite 5v5 player why all the talk about the PP? He's not even that good on the PP. He's not available anyway,

Reactions: Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
A whole lot of worthless conversation around here. Don’t see why Ottawa is trading their centerpiece.

Because he clearly doesnt want to be there and his brother just pulled the same stunt with resounding success? Its an offseason thread in June, let us live. Tkachuk rumors have been acknowledged by multiple media sources including Sportsnet. Its more interesting than talking about breaking up a top 2 powerplay because we dared lose to the team about to sweep Connor Mcdavid in the Cup Final.

Reactions: leetch99

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Because he clearly doesnt want to be there and his brother just pulled the same stunt with resounding success? Its an offseason thread in June, let us live. Tkachuk rumors have been acknowledged by multiple media sources including Sportsnet. Its more interesting than talking about breaking up a top 2 powerplay because we dared lose to the team about to sweep Connor Mcdavid in the Cup Final.
Tough shit, he has a contract and they are not obliged to trade him. Comparing him to his brother is asinine, Matthew Tkachuck had Calgary by the balls because of his contract situation. This is not the case with Brady.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I'm in the same boat as a few posters from the last pages. If they can unload Tuba and Goodrow's money somewhere I'd offer Chytil/Kakko, Othmann, Jones and a 1st for Tkachuk. But it's only realistic if they can unload some money. Aside from that the Senators denied that they're shopping him, if he wants out that's a different story... so it's all just speculation at this point

Reactions: leetch99

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Again, a team that adds:

Joshua
Dillon
Roy
Jones

for

Lindgren
Trouba
Gustafsson
Wennberg/Roslovic

Is going to improve. By actually quite a bit. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that guys like Schneider, Miller, Cuylle, Kakko, Chytil should have better seasons AND the fact that the team with those players would still have cap space to sign a couple of good depth pieces.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm not sure what Zibanejad is supposed to do there. He's up against a superior opponent who is at the tip top of his game this year in Barkov and the coaching staff clearly was matching them. He noticed that offense wasn't coming easily for him or his line so he did what he could to mitigate any losses, hoping that others would pick up the slack offensively. I mean he didn't do that well but literally no one is doing well against Barkov.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm not sure what Zibanejad is supposed to do there. He's up against a superior opponent who is at the tip top of his game this year in Barkov and the coaching staff clearly was matching them. He noticed that offense wasn't coming easily for him or his line so he did what he could to mitigate any losses, hoping that others would pick up the slack offensively. I mean he didn't do that well but literally no one is doing well against Barkov.
Zib didn't do well against anyone this past season, not just Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad