Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
No I agree, but what if the price is prohibitive for him? It’s another option for a similar style player

Do you have a sense of their ceiling for Lindgren?
Much higher than people here think. If the Rangers were inclined to trade him (which I don’t think they are) it’s probably a 2nd and a player. He’s likely going to be in jeopardy of being demoted from the top pair next year but that’s dependent on the Rangers bringing in another LHD. A 3-4 year contract at $4.25-4.5MM is very realistic as long as it doesn’t have a full NTC. Lindgren couldn’t get any trade protection for first year under any circumstances.

The player to trade is Trouba. Buffalo…Anaheim are two good possibilities. Possibly Toronto or Detroit. Utah will be on his no trade list along with most of Canada.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Bringing in Lindgren, and maybe Kakko(totally my speculation cause Vegas wants players not picks), for Theodore and them sending out McNabb somewhere else, likely Utah, would still give them a good left side with Hanifin, Hague and Lindgren. It will save them money to be able to keep their forward group together and be able to go into the FA pool at RD which is stronger than LD. Of course, it's all speculation.

Edit: Damn. Forgot to quote again. Sorry @jay from jersey
No worries…. But that wouldn’t cut too much cap for them..
even though neither will break the bank, they are still both going to get raises….

Vegas has 2 main priorities.
1. Resigning JAM
2. Keeping their current line up together by cutting the absolute least important pieces. They have absolutely no help coming from their farm system, unless it’s an unexpected player coming out of the blue in camp…

TBH, I was shocked they made the move for Hanifin and then extended him.
They are going to do their best to keep all of hanifin, Hague, Pietro, Theo imo.
That’s the backbone of their D…….
McNabb is an interesting one…….. solid player but also on a 1 year deal.
He has a bigger chance to move imo over theo. Theo is like top 10 top 15 in a lot of defensive categories ( stat wise)

You don’t trade that at 5.3 mill unless you absolutely have to. I think they rather take 1 more kick at the can with him, then what he potentially could return in trade

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm fine with Lindgren sticking around if it's on the 3rd pair and Trouba is gone.

but the Rangers have to f***ing stop running this team like a goddamn charity case. The goal is to win the goddamn cup not coddle Fox's feelings. You don't win by sticking a bad player with your best player because "they're friends" and "they have chemistry" and then you check the stats and the only thing keeping them barely adequate is your top playing dragging the rotting corpse of his friend around the ice

Get.Your.Shit.Together.

Win the cup, not play games trying to chase some chemistry that was barely there in the first place

e: I mean if Lindgren and Trouba are around then we're pretty much just running this shit back and hoping the puck bounces the Rangers way next year a little bit more.

I guess they could get wild and trade Miller instead but woooo boy if they go that route it's going to get even uglier.
I think Lindgren and Jones would be the ideal scenario if they can move Trouba out……
Play whoever is more comfortable on RD.

Yes, Trouba is captain. Rangers have never been shy about trading their Captains before. He’s also older and more expensive.

People talk about team chemistry like it’s not a thing. They just say, these guys are Pros, play for $$$….
Yes that’s absolutely part of it, but Lindgren also came up with Fox and that 2nd corp emerging from the rebuild/retool to make the team competitive again… up until last season, he was absolutely not a defensive liability.
Yes he gets banged up, yes he probably won’t put up a lot of points, but he plays a hard game, is mobile, solid on PK, and well like by team and org.
Signing him to a 3-4 year deal with no clauses and decreasing his usage to 2nd/3rd pair is not repeating staal/Girardi 30 year old contract extensions.

They are also not sending out the entire teams leadership in 1 offseason or half the D corps that got the to the ECF…
Keeping him as a parter/mentor for jones to get thru his first year hurdles is fine.
He also knows the team and system and can cover for an injury/play up in the line up if need be.
It just makes sense not to deal him unless you get exactly what you want in return for a trade….
You’re not going to find a replacement at his age,$$, etc all of the above.

I think miller would only be available if they want to trade for a Brady Tkachuk type guy.

Otherwise, I expect he’s here for the long haul.
It’s pretty clear that they absolutely see/want a top 4 of Fox/Miller/Schneider/and TBD as a long term top 4….
Imo best we can hope for at start of camp is

??-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones/Lindgren or Lindgren/Jones

UFA vet from bargain bin and Scanlin as extras/call ups

We are way better served trying to figure out the best possible choice for the ?? Instead of trying to trade/replace 50% of the D corps.

Reactions: McRanger92

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Much higher than people here think. If the Rangers were inclined to trade him (which I don’t think they are) it’s probably a 2nd and a player. He’s likely going to be in jeopardy of being demoted from the top pair next year but that’s dependent on the Rangers bringing in another LHD. A 3-4 year contract at $4.25-4.5MM is very realistic as long as it doesn’t have a full NTC. Lindgren couldn’t get any trade protection for first year under any circumstances.

The player to trade is Trouba. Buffalo…Anaheim are two good possibilities. Possibly Toronto or Detroit. Utah will be on his no trade list along with most of Canada.
Wouldn’t Toronto be on his list? Wasn’t part of the reason he wanted out of the jets was because his wife couldn’t practice in Canada?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bringing in Lindgren, and maybe Kakko(totally my speculation cause Vegas wants players not picks), for Theodore and them sending out McNabb somewhere else, likely Utah, would still give them a good left side with Hanifin, Hague and Lindgren. It will save them money to be able to keep their forward group together and be able to go into the FA pool at RD which is stronger than LD. Of course, it's all speculation.

Edit: Damn. Forgot to quote again. Sorry @jay from jersey
Vegas needs to free up cap space after adding $14.1M in cap commitments for Hanifin and Hertl. Marchessault had 42 goals this past season. They need to create room to keep him or replace him.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
It’s not a popular thought but recouping draft picks for Kakko and Lindgren then signing a ufa makes more sense than a player trade no ?

If they plan to rent at deadlines they have only 1sts left and they should keep those

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbop and Atax

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
It’s not a popular thought but recouping FREDY picks for Kakko and Lindgren then signing a ufa makes more sense than a player trade no ?

If they plan to rent at deadlines they have only 1sts left and they should keep those
This rental shit never works. Trading 1st round picks for rentals is idiotic and dumb. Drury traded a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick to rent Wennberg and he was useless. The puck hit his stick in game 3. Roslovic was a bust. No surprise. Tarasenko had seen his better days but Drury traded a 1st round pick for him. Tarasenko had trouble getting a contract last summer.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
This rental shit never works. Trading 1st round picks for rentals is idiotic and dumb. Drury traded a 2nd round pick and a 4th round pick to rent Wennberg and he was useless. The puck hit his stick in game 3. Roslovic was a bust. No surprise. Tarasenko had seen his better days but Drury traded a 1st round pick for him. Tarasenko had trouble getting a contract last summer.

Sure but it’s gonna happen
Oilers just did for Henrique and Florida for Tarasenko. Only 1 team wins and that’s why it feels like a waste

All I’m saying is signup the right ufa then recouping picks may be a strategy .

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sure but it’s gonna happen
Oilers just did for Henrique and Florida for Tarasenko. Only 1 team wins and that’s why it feels like a waste

All I’m saying is signup the right ufa then recouping picks may be a strategy .
Henrique was barely played for Edmonton. Florida traded a 3rd and a 4th to rent Tarasenko who playing on the 3rd line.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
EF reported Carolina is looking to trade Guentzel's negotiating rights for a mid-round pick. Guentzel was quiet at the end of the Rangers series. Carolina doesn't want to pay him $9M AAV. EF said Chicago could be his next stop. The Hawks are looking to speed things up. Necas is available but the Canes want a similar player in return. EF also reported the cap for this season could be higher than $87.675M. A few high revenue teams had deep playoff runs and the number could be $88M. The players have paid off their Covid debt. When the NHL and NHLPA get together to discuss the cap, the number could be higher than $87.675M. It won't be much higher. $88M. The 25-26 cap is supposed to be $92M. It could be higher. It will help the Rangers with Igor and Lafreniere starting new contracts that season. Buffalo wants a top 6 forward for their pick at #11.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I'm still not seeing this massive difference between Dillon and Zadorov besides age. But Zadorov is going to get ~5 years whereas Dillon likely gets 2.

22-23
Dillon - 32 years old
82 games played
23 points
76 PIM's
198 hits
~19:35 TOI
+2.5CF rel @ 5v5

Zadorov
82 games played - 27 years old
21 points
80 PIM's
174 hits
~18:41 TOI
+3.6CF Rel @ 5v5

23-24
Dillon - 33 years old
77 games played
20 points
92 PIM's
241 hits
~18:44 TOI
-3.0CF Rel @ 5v5

Zadorov - 28 years old
75 games played
20 points
125 PIM's
177 hits
~17:26 TOI
-1.6CF Rel @ 5v5

Again, AFP has:
Dillon @ 2 years for $2.85m per season
Zadorov @ 5 years @ $5.3m per season
That works for me and probably the type of moves we see . No way in heck do we see any major moves as the deals are seemingly impossible to make on account of contract limitations . The on;y guy we could move is Kreider and that won't happen .

So for now we have Panarin and CK and Othmann /Cuylle & Edstrom unless he becomes 4th line C . I think it is OK for LW's . At C....we have Tro/Mika/Chytil maybe . On the right side it gets messy .after Laf-and I will take a chance on KK at #2 for now and then we have Goodrow/Rempe/Vesey . It needs some work . A hard working robust winger with some stones and hands would be nice for the Mika line .....Kakko maybe as the trade bait ? I think that will be about all we can do ......and maybe we can't even do them deals ?

Anyways....I figure a couple of tweaks on the physical side [thinking playoffs ] , allowing Edstrom-Othmann-Rempe time to mature and find their way and a year older KK and Cuylle and we likely will be not too bad all in all and go from there . Laf will also be better and soon taking on some leadership roles as will Schneider . It is not all that bad . I hope Drury can find a nugget or two over the Summer .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't know what Minnesota is trying to do or what their D situation looks like but could that be a landing spot for Lindgren?

If the Rangers really want to do right by him, sending him home would do that. What would they need to add to pry Brodin out of there?

Jacob Middleton would probably be a more realistic target

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trouba is gonna have a bee in his bonnet next season. I’d give him another shot.

Less painting, more training this summer. But you are right. Cleary he doesn't appreciate how he is being trolled publicly, evidenced by him going out of his way to respond to the Chiclets guy. I still would move him if they can but its a significant change.

I really thought he was playing fine until the Florida series where they switch to man on man, that was disastrous. In the Caps and Canes series he wasnt a liability, just the whipping boy. The thing that disappoints me is how parts of the fanbase can't put aside the fact that he's overpaid. For his warts he's the captain and has been a selfless Ranger and great leader his entire time here. Yet we play into it when other fanbases act like he's satan. Idk maybe, Ive gone soft in my old age but with all the shit talk coming the Rangers way recently I feel like the collective should be circling the wagons instead. He's our guy for better or worse, and I saw how ungrateful people were toward great Rangers Girardi and Staal because they had the audacity to accept contracts the Rangers offered them lol.

Long story short, Im not trading him for locker room shakeup reasons, because that's completely unwarranted after the season the team just had. I just know they can't come back with the same D and expect a different result. Something has to give.

Reactions: egelband

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I was thinking that too just don’t know how much better he can be, if at all, and how much will has to do with that. If there’s a taker I’d send him out.

These guys are human. Trouba had a rough year. Lots of talking head chatter about him being dirty (he is, which is ok and encouraged in my book) after some unfortunate incidents with Frederic and Dorofeyev. Broken ankle. Had a child mid-season(my sister in law just had her first and its no joke lol despite how it get's handwaved by the tough guys on the board). I think if they can add a true #1 on left defense who can play all situations, it will take a lot of pressure off the rest of the D. Fox playing too much, Lindgren and Trouba laying above their station. Miller in his own head. They need another dude. I'd really be after Chychrun. He's young and skilled and if they get him to NYC after being in Arizona and Ottawa i think his upside is sky high. They can deal Trouba more easily next summer with 1 year left to give them space to extend Chychrun (and Laf).

Reactions: leetch99

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't see Trouba's problems as effort based, I see them as judgement based. So motivation is only a small part of the issue.
I see his entire problems as skating based. I think he wasn’t as fast as he expects to be, and so he would make the wrong moves because he’s instinctively making the right play, way too late and the play is gone so he’s just reacting.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Henrique was barely played for Edmonton. Florida traded a 3rd and a 4th to rent Tarasenko who playing on the 3rd line.

Or you could say one team will win after getting rentals . Henrique was hurt and Tarasenko has been top 6 too .

It’s easy in hindsight to criticize
Vegas had Barbashev and always trade picks and prospects

mti79

May 11, 2007
Well, a lot of people are fans of teams. Fans spend a lot of time watching & thinking about players. We have opinions, well-founded or not. It's natural.

Not many people are devoted fans of Harvard Biology professors.

Maybe you're unaware but Colleen Cavanagh is a solid all around professor but you can't discount Stephen Blacklow. He may not be the prototypical professor but brings the intangibles you need to excel at this level.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
I think calling Ros a bust is harsh. He was good in the first two series and he only cost a 4th. He was garbage against Florida though, did absolutely nothing.

Trouba is gonna have a bee in his bonnet next season. I’d give him another shot.
Trouba is bad more than he's good. His only truly good season here was 21-22. It's not like he's going to get faster or less stupid with age.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Let’s say Lindgren agreed to 3 yrs x4.5
I’d sign that for NYR

Kakko I think you just recoup multiple picks sadly.

Then the question is can they fit in a ufa RW

Play cheap kids like Othmaan, Berard , Rempe and Edstrom in the bottom 6 and revisit at the trade deadline

Let Gus go and play Jones
Sign a cheap 7th like Reuwedhl
Plenty of depth D call ups in Hartford so don’t overspend on a ufa

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad