Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You really haven't watched Zadorov for too long have you? I especially laughed at the bolded part. Zadorov is good skater, decent with the puck, and a great hitting machine. He also has a very poor hockey IQ. He's good doing strickly man-on-man defence, if you put him in system with zone coverage he's f***ing lost all the time. There's a reason he's a third pairing guy on most teams, and even on good teams he's a #4 at best. And at the age of 29, this is what he is. He isn't magically getting better any more.

Zadorov would be great for 3mil per. The problem is, he was making 3.75 now and is expected to get a big raise. Let's not make that mistake, please. I love the guy, but we live in a cap league.
Well we have 2 defensemen we need to upgrade form, badly, and we have zero prospects coming up, so we either need to trade for a dman or 2 or sign some free agents.

I think Zaddy would be an upgrade on Trouba ( I mean who wouldn’t be) but he’s not exactly a must get for me

Reactions: Atax and AirGut

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Well we have 2 defensemen we need to upgrade form, badly, and we have zero prospects coming up, so we either need to trade for a dman or 2 or sign some free agents.

I think Zaddy would be an upgrade on Trouba ( I mean who wouldn’t be) but he’s not exactly a must get for me
I would rather have Zadorov on the team than either Trouba or Lindgren. But this is ignoring the cap hit, talking strictly as the player. Zadorov at 6mil is not worth it, it's just not. It's like talking about replacing Goodrow (granted, he redeemed himself in the playoffs) and his cap hit of 3.6mil with another 4th liner who would be making 3mil. Yes, could be an improvement. In the grand scheme of things, not making an impact on the forward core and not a wise way to spend dollars.

Reactions: jay from jersey

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm still not seeing this massive difference between Dillon and Zadorov besides age. But Zadorov is going to get ~5 years whereas Dillon likely gets 2.

22-23
Dillon - 32 years old
82 games played
23 points
76 PIM's
198 hits
~19:35 TOI
+2.5CF rel @ 5v5

Zadorov
82 games played - 27 years old
21 points
80 PIM's
174 hits
~18:41 TOI
+3.6CF Rel @ 5v5

23-24
Dillon - 33 years old
77 games played
20 points
92 PIM's
241 hits
~18:44 TOI
-3.0CF Rel @ 5v5

Zadorov - 28 years old
75 games played
20 points
125 PIM's
177 hits
~17:26 TOI
-1.6CF Rel @ 5v5

Again, AFP has:
Dillon @ 2 years for $2.85m per season
Zadorov @ 5 years @ $5.3m per season

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I edited my post. I just don't see it. If he's here, he's playing with Fox...rinse, repeat. No thanks.

Lindgren's like Strome in my book. A great Ranger, exceeded expectations, but I don't want him back at any number even if his hometown discount was the vet minimum. Sometimes you need to know when it's time to cut bait.
A great Ranger? Can’t stand Strome. The gaping net still haunts me. I didn’t like him before it either, for that matter. We got him for nothing, good ROI - but there’s no comp to Lindgren, IMO.

To be fair, it was really only this year Lindgren wasn't an NHL player.

Trouba was still in Winnipeg by the time he became ineffective.
And the entire world revolves around the narrative that his med student fiancée dictates the domino effect of all business decisions because of her residency.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
realistically, I think it was Boyle or Mollie who said on their podcast that Drury is here to do one thing. He's on a mission to win the Cup so if he's got this Igor window, I think long term he's going to try to get a young player or two up each year to balance out how disproportionate the cap distribution is but he's also going to go out and sign players that help put this team in a position to win a Cup.

Most fans will promote the "go slow and develop the kids" route but sadly, the reality is the GM always has orders from Dolan to win now. Ideally, the signings that do get made are in the 1-2 year term like how Gus and Wheels were. I think Edstrom will be up next season simply because he is (I believe) no longer waiver exempt.

Zac Jones can get us through the season but unless he goes on a fitness binge and becomes tough like Torey Krug circa Boston was, he's not going to get us through the playoffs. Drury WILL sign players. I just hope he chooses wisely.

To be honest I think pidgeon holing Jones at this point is dumb because it's not like the guy has even got a chance to show whether or not he could handle the playoffs. I agree at times he looked overwhelmed physically but when Trouba was out I think he played extremely well and did not get caved in physically

and look, again, the big tough crease clearing defenseman that gets caved in defensively and analytically all the time because he can't actually play defense against soemone, can't actually prevent zone entries, can't actually break the puck out, and can't actually keep the offense going, isn't better than the guy who does all that other stuff but loses some board battles sometimes.

If I had my druthers then I'd punt Lindgren and Trouba to the moon, find a bigger defensive defenseman to play with Jones on the third pair, run Miller and Schneider as second pair, and find a real partner for Fox. The defense would make a huge turnaround I would guarantee it

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Never ceases to cause me to cringe watching armchair commentators saying an NHL player “sucks”

I realize for then simplicity of communication why we do it? But it’s hilarious from 10k feet.

“Here’s a Harvard biology professor. He published 10 papers last year compared to his colleagues 15. What a dipshit”

8,113,690,387 people on the planet
640 of them are in the NHL on any given night
0 of them "suck"

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Compared to Trouba who is a horrible skater, handles the puck like a grenade, and has 10 runs out of position at a guy and misses him for every 1 nice big hit. He's way better than Trouba and will come in at cheaper than him even after a raise. I don't think he has the highest hockey IQ either but Trouba is one of the dumbest players I've ever seen. I wonder if Zadorov would take a discount to come here too, he is also great friends with Panarin.... yes I know @GoAwayPanarin is going to say that worked great with Tank & Kane lol but this isn't specifically to play with Panarin, I'm just saying he would probably like to be here and may take a discount

I think the last thing we should be doing is making moves to appease a guy signed for 2 more years.

Especially one whose lack of postseason performance as a ranger has been historically bad.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
0 of them "suck"
To this day, Trevor Gillies is the closest thing I've seen to a player on NHL ice who is bad at hockey.

I honestly felt a little personally insulted that he got to play double digit NHL games.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You can cherry pick and say whatever you want, but then you ignore the 100 times you were wrong, stupid and clueless.
Yeah, but no, b'c those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I am not cherry picking anything.
It is there in print for all to see.
I called out yes Wennberg, no Rempe, etc etc etc
Did I get everything 111% correct? No.
But did I get it a lot more right than wrong, in real time, including before, not just be-atching about it after the fact? Yes.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
0 of them "suck"
I think that’s a given in any sport , compared to other NHLers, some of them suck.

It’s all relative.

And when you want to win a cup you need to minimize the number of these players on your roster, something the Rangers must have missed the memo about.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Random power play idea. Edstrom and Rempe stand in the slot to screen the goaltender and basically create a space between them. The defenders will need 2 to fight for space with them which will tire them out. The umbrella players move the puck around 3-2 to find an opening or one timer opportunity. If one of the down low defenders moves to pursue the puck, we just dump it on net and the two big boys go garbage collecting.

But the real plan is to have one of the umbrella players break into the slot at which point Edstrom and Rempe use their bodies to pick the defenders and give the one player a lane to skate into like a mini-breakaway. It'll be called the Holland Tunnel.

I'll be here all night :naughty:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I would rather have Zadorov on the team than either Trouba or Lindgren. But this is ignoring the cap hit, talking strictly as the player. Zadorov at 6mil is not worth it, it's just not. It's like talking about replacing Goodrow (granted, he redeemed himself in the playoffs) and his cap hit of 3.6mil with another 4th liner who would be making 3mil. Yes, could be an improvement. In the grand scheme of things, not making an impact on the forward core and not a wise way to spend dollars.
Whatever team ponies up a high dollar multi-year deal is going to be sorry.

Guy had an excellent playoffs but he’s a career 3rd pair guy…..
Can you imagine this place with Trouba/zags in the same top 6 D????
HF will explode every time these 2 take themselves out of position going for big hits.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Boyle was basically touching on trading Lindgren for Theodore. If that's a thing, you gotta go for it. Sign me up.

Theodore-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

I just don’t see why Vegas is trading Theodore at just over 5 mill cap hit, while statistically, he’s a top 15 D in the entire league.

I know they are in cap crunch, but I can think of 4-5 guys that would go before him, especially with Vegas doubling down and pushing all their chips in on win now mode in the next couple of years

Reactions: mrhockey193195

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Im good on Zadarov for the money he’ll get. Russian Ben Chiarot.

Whatever team ponies up a high dollar multi-year deal is going to be sorry.

Guy had an excellent playoffs but he’s a career 3rd pair guy…..
Can you imagine this place with Trouba/zags in the same top 6 D????
HF will explode every time these 2 take themselves out of position going for big hits.

It’s so funny that we just watched Trouba whiff on hits for a whole series and people want to bring in Dave Kingman on ice skates. Can we just get a guy who can play an honest defensive game and love the puck?

Vegas is in a cap crunch.

I know we’ve sniffed around Brayden McNabb before. He’s got 1 year left at 2.8. Nic Hague is RFA but that price might be too steep for us.

McNabb makes a lot of sense. Size and experience. No commitment beyond this year. Rangers have always been interested in him

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Regarding Lindgren, I am fine giving him a reasonable 3-4 year contract as long as it does not have a NTC. There will always be a trade market for a player like this. If the Rangers do move Trouba, use the money on a defenseman who can force Lindgren to the second or third pair. That gives whomever comes in and Miller a chance to take the spot next to Fox. It also buys you some stability.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Vegas is in a cap crunch.

I know we’ve sniffed around Brayden McNabb before. He’s got 1 year left at 2.8. Nic Hague is RFA but that price might be too steep for us.
Shea Theodore. $5.2M. One more year remaining. Vegas has moved Pacioretty and MAF for nothing to free up space. Acquire Theodore and ship out Lindgren.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Yeah, I like the idea of finding a taker for Trouba (minimal assets coming back, maybe a second and spare picks, but no retention), giving Lindgren a short term deal and moving him down in the lineup, and then "helping" Vegas by taking Theodore off their hands.

Miller - Fox
Theodore - Skjei
Lindgren - Jones

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad