Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You have more faith in Zibs than I do. No one but Kreids has clicked with him for years and even with Chris Mika was unacceptable at 5v5 scoring. how about trying our 1RW, Laf, on the line... put Chytil with Pan and Troch?
Same, but there’s really no other recourse at this point in time with the amount he’s owed/years left and he can dead any trade talk on arrival….

stick Mika between two guys with young legs, 1 preferably a big body, 1 preferably a shooter. Both with attitude….
Mika fancies himself more of a passer now like Panarin.
Having the young kids buzzing around and make him keep up and work for a living to make his 8.5 mill a year.

Cuylle-Mika-Othmann/Berard

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Top 6 Forward. Bottom 6 forward who can grind and play sturdy. Top 4 Dman. Simple checklist for Drury and there are plenty of names out there that it should not be hard to add all 3.

Reactions: JimmyG89

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Same, but there’s really no other recourse at this point in time with the amount he’s owed/years left and he can dead any trade talk on arrival….

stick Mika between two guys with young legs, 1 preferably a big body, 1 preferably a shooter. Both with attitude….
Mika fancies himself more of a passer now like Panarin.
Having the young kids buzzing around and make him keep up and work for a living to make his 8.5 mill a year.

Cuylle-Mika-Othmann/Berard
I'm willing to try it.

Reactions: jay from jersey

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I'm willing to try it.
Sucks, but those are pretty much our only options currently.
If Mika has a hot year/on a hot streak etc

If he’s 85-90 pt mika, I think a lot would be forgiven next season. Hopefully that correlates with the rest of the team playing well.

Chytil is the real problem here….
Some might see a 3rd line or 2B line of

Kreider-Chytil-Othmann/berard/kakko/Whoever

As an asset, but it’s not…having faith or counting on chytil will be healthy is crippling to this team that counts on him to be an important top 9 mainstay.

Turning chytil and his cap hit to a
C. Stephenson/ Cirelli/Novak/ whoever etc

Someone dependable is very important.
Otherwise, next season will be like Groundhog Day

Reactions: bhamill

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Sucks, but those are pretty much our only options currently.
If Mika has a hot year/on a hot streak etc

If he’s 85-90 pt mika, I think a lot would be forgiven next season. Hopefully that correlates with the rest of the team playing well.

Chytil is the real problem here….
Some might see a 3rd line or 2B line of

Kreider-Chytil-Othmann/berard/kakko/Whoever

As an asset, but it’s not…having faith or counting on chytil will be healthy is crippling to this team that counts on him to be an important top 9 mainstay.

Turning chytil and his cap hit to a
C. Stephenson/ Cirelli/Novak/ whoever etc

Someone dependable is very important.
Otherwise, next season will be like Groundhog Day

No one is going to trade for Chytil until he shows he is past the concussions. I agree that he is not a fit for the bottom 6. I think you have to play him in a top 6 5v5 role because he doesnt play the complete game that a 3rd line role requires. Ideally, Id move him and add a name like you mentioned. Trocheck or Mika is going to have to take a "demotion" (i dont think of it that way personally but the players prob do) if they want the roster to perform to the best of its ability.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Will Drury speak with the media this week or is he too busy slinging 'zza?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Will Drury speak with the media this week or is he too busy slinging 'zza?

Probably wont hear from him until the draft or if they make a significant player move before then. I don't see much value in his speaking now tbh. He isnt going to say what people want him to say.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Igor will get $10.5 imo. Florida pays a worse goalie in Bob $10mm and is doing just fine
They are also paying $20M to Barkov and Tkachuk, not Panarin and Zibanejad. And they don’t have Trouba on the roster, and will be facing some tough decisions trying to find space to resign several UFAs.

Even if Trouba leaves, who else are you willing to let go when you pay Igor that much?

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Listened to Up in the Blueseats this morning...Larry harping on the "gotta get bigger and tougher" thing again. But I think we (fans in general) often talk past each other on that...I don't think anyone wants to just go out and get a team of no talent thugs on skates and think that will get them the cup, but people tend to come at the idea from different directions. A lot of people come from the "gotta get meaner and tougher" and other people come from "but we need more skill hits don't win games" and then there's an argument, whereas I think both sides would agree on the idea "we need more physically aggressive players who can control the game with their physicality but are also skilled enough to contribute on the scoresheet on a regular basis".

But I don't totally see how this team currently does that...Zibanejad and Kreider aren't going to flip a switch and start playing that way, Panarin certainly won't, and there's 3 of your top six already as guys who can't physically take over a game.
I think Trochek plays a gritty nasty game but not the kind that can really control play. Laf I think comes close and we might see more of that in the coming year...he's smart enough and has enough of an edge that he goes in after guys and hits to gain possession and isn't afraid to mix things up.

Still though, that leaves most of your top six in the "half of them can't play like that and 2 others are gamers but aren't gonna dominate like that", so...we're left hoping to find a unicorn of a RW somewhere and that the bottom six can do the heavy lifting of being the dominant physical side of the team, which is hard because you want your top six getting the most minutes.

So without a huge shakeup (Zibanejad and/or Kreider gone) I don't see a path towards that in the way the Panters did it.

The third line has its own issues in that it needs to contribute goals and Larry's idea of "well Cuylle, Rempe, and some 6'4 center would be an awesome third line" is out to lunch since you need your third line to contribute offensively and that's not gonna cut it. But, I can see bigger changes being made to the bottom six since that's what Drury has the most room to work with.

As for the D...Larry kills me. He goes on about how they need to be bigger and nastier and his solution is to sign a big bruising defenseman for the third pairing but also to make Lindgren a top priority to re-sign. It's just like...man if you want to remake the D in that way you basically have to start with Lindgren because he simply isn't big enough or physical enough nor does he have the skills to do all these things people are asking of him. He tries hard and we all know he goes through hell on his body but like...it's just not enough. If he was on the third pair and a reasonable contract, that's fine. The Rangers can't keep running him out there with Fox though. And if you want to change up the D you can't do it just by trying to find a "physical 3rd pairing guy".

Boyle thought maybe if you're looking to make some shakeup then Lindgren is perhaps the guy you start with in a trade.

If I'm looking at all this I'd see it this way:

Guys I'd be looking to trade in some kind of package for specific upgrades in the roster (not that I have targets just that these are guys I wouldn't be adverse to moving):

Lindgren (Rangers gotta upgrade that 1 LD and don't want to commit to giving Lindgren a long contract to try to keep filling that role)
Kakko (part of a package, not a solo trade, needs a new start)
Chytil (could be an attractive piece for some team willing to take a risk on his health if the Rangers feel they can find a 3C that will be reliable defensively and add an appropriate amount of offense)

Wildcards, guys I don't see being moved but could be part of a larger shakeup if something could be done:

Zibanejad
Kreider
Trouba

The usual suspects there...odds are low any of them could be moved but Zibanejad and Kreider represent the passivity of this current team. If you want to change the intensity and culture of the team you start there...but it'd be very hard to move them and I gues you can always worry about ripple effects in the locker room.

Trouba for obvious reasons...he's just not good and he makes a lot of money and moving him opens up a lot of space to bring in a better replacement and spend money elsewhere on upgrades. Is Drury cutthroat enough to trade a captain after a run to the ECF? One that is supposedly well liked? Dunno!

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
After watching this year's playoffs and recent past playoffs, league wide and Rangers, I have NO doubt that the Rangers will NOT have 3 undersized Dmen in the starting 6 (Fox, Lindgren & Jones).

Obviously Fox will play in all situations, but one of, if not both, of the other 2 will be traded.

Reactions: McRanger92

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
After watching this year's playoffs and recent past playoffs, league wide and Rangers, I have NO doubt that the Rangers will NOT have 3 undersized Dmen in the starting 6 (Fox, Lindgren & Jones).

Obviously Fox will play in all situations, but one of, if not both, of the other 2 will be traded.
Categorizing Lindgren as "undersized" and setting out to get bigger is dangerous thinking. Lindgren just sucks.

Reactions: UnSandvich

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Drury should be calling Vegas every day. They have a ton of size on D and no cap space to re-sign Marchessault and/or Martinez. Theodore (pipe dream, McNabb, Hague, Whitecloud. Maybe they can make it bigger trade an add a Kolesar or Nic Roy to it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
All 31 teams would beat our doors down for Kreider.

Team's are going to have interest in Trouba too. Detroit Athletic writer was talking about him as a realistic option to improve their right side. We see him every nght and we're over him but other teams see the hits, leadership and 2 year contract and that has some value to them.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
Heres a totally never going to happen offseason using UFAs.

Kakko, Lindgren traded for picks, the picks are then used to trade Goodrow and Trouba for future considerations (or whatever). We now have around 23 Million in cap space.

Sign:
Viktor Arvidisson - 4.5M - If he can stay healthy, he should be able to help the Mika line as a cheap top 6 guy.
Jordan Martinhook - 3.5M - He's one of the league’s best forecheckers, perfect for 3rd line duty.
Teddy Blueger - 2M - Save 1.5 Million on 4th line center, while getting another strong forechecker
Dlyan Demelo - 5M - Played really well with Morrissey, if he can switch sides, pair him with fox.
Alex Carrier - 4M - Really good shutdown Dman, albeit small, could be a good backstop for Miller.
Schneider - 2.75M

You end up with:
Panarian - Trocheck - Lafrenire
Kreider - Zib - Arvidisson
Edstrom - Chytil - Martinhook
Cuylle - Blueger - Vesey/Rempe

Demelo - Fox
Miller - Carrier
Jones - Schneider

Still some room for improvement at the deadline, you could upgrade the 3rd and 4th lines a bit. Also a lot of the season would hinge on Arvidisson not getting hurt and actually playing well.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
All 31 teams would beat our doors down for Kreider.
yeah honestly I'd want to keep Kreider and would rather move Zibanejad, pretty much everything about his play last year was disappointing.
I see moving Kreider only as a chance to move a top asset and change the makeup of the team in a way we can't otherwise. I guess you could look at it a bit like the Tkachuk trade for Florida...trading a good asset for another that chances how the team is made, but I don't know who out there would make that worthwhile.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
yeah honestly I'd want to keep Kreider and would rather move Zibanejad, pretty much everything about his play last year was disappointing.
I see moving Kreider only as a chance to move a top asset and change the makeup of the team in a way we can't otherwise. I guess you could look at it a bit like the Tkachuk trade for Florida...trading a good asset for another that chances how the team is made, but I don't know who out there would make that worthwhile.
Yeah, I get that Kreider offers an opportunity to change the makeup of the team, but if we change the team, I want more of what Kreider does, not less.

Kreider elevates his game in the playoffs and is fantastic at 5v5, which are the problems with Zibanejad and the team overall.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I aint buying this line of thinking. Florida is the scummiest team in hockey and has been to back to back cups. Tampa was probably the toughest team in hockey during their runs. Boston’s sustained successful was because they would basically break your face at any given moment and its not like bergeron, krejci and senguin were tough guys.
I think we're on the same page, but all I'm saying is, Domi isn't enough. Domi's been on 4 teams in a row that didn't have enough other muscle and grit and meanness to back up his playing style. Domi and Bertuzzi, these guys are decent hockey players. Jerks. But we need our bottom 6 to have a combo of speed/tenacity/meanness PLUS we need much more of that in our top 6 as well. Domi is fine, but he will only lead to Zibanejad or Panarin or Fox getting neutered and decapitated by a tougher team. We need more than Domi. Adding Domi just makes you the Leafs of the past 6 years. Every year they add one or two guys like Domi (and also Domi) and it doesn't do ANYTHING. Simmonds, Bertuzzi, Reaves, Cliford, Ritchie, Domi, etc etc etc. IT's because the top of the lineup is a bunch of perimeter players - Matthews, Knies, Nylander, Tavares, Marner.

My guess is, as the dust has settled, that the next season or two, we're going more in this Leafs route because I don't think we're moving on from Zib or Panarin or Fox. But this is going to be an ongoing issue that CD will need to address. But to repeat Domi isn't nearly enough. It's a band-aid and not a very good one.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Team's are going to have interest in Trouba too. Detroit Athletic writer was talking about him as a realistic option to improve their right side. We see him every nght and we're over him but other teams see the hits, leadership and 2 year contract and that has some value to them.
Copp for Trouba, 1 for 1. We'd be playing him on the wing, so he won't get nearly as exposed as he has for Detroit. He worked very well with Panarin and Strome, so pairing him with Panarin and Trocheck is a big upgrade on that. Allows Lafreniere to be moved with Mika-Kreider and can be the line driver.

Copp also kills penalties, so we'd be adding another forward to that group to replace Wennberg's role in the unit post deadline. Another guy that can play center in a pinch if needed. You can play him up and down the lineup too.

I do wonder if Detroit would be willing to move on. His production has dropped and has 3 years remaining. For Trouba, I think it would be a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad