Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
The more I look at the list and look at their careers and numbers, the more I really want Blueger. He is a prototypical non-ranger player. That is to say, fast and plays pretty hard. Haha

I think we can recreate the Joshua-Blueger-Garland line with Cuylle-Blueger-Berard. The wingers remind me of those players quite a lot. And are younger and perhaps faster.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'll catch up on 40 odd posts when I get a chance
Just dropped by to note this:

vindication
peeps can agree/disagree in good faith but specifically calling out coach playing Wennberg + not Rempe, which I called out in real time before, during and after, is why I get to say bern >>>> R braintrust

You can cherry pick and say whatever you want, but then you ignore the 100 times you were wrong, stupid and clueless.

Reactions: haohmaru

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Just gonna leave this right here
Screenshot_20240606_120301_Facebook.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I thought about Kakko for Perfetti. The latter is a smaller player. Both players need a change of scenery.

Detroit is looking for a right-handed shooting D. Which contract without retaining money? Chiarot at $4.75M per remaining for two more years. Wallman? $3.4M per for two more years?

I mentioned Perfetti a few months back. Bowness refused to put him in a position to succeed all year and had him either on the 4th line or scratched. Whenever he got time in the top-6, he produced and looked great. Whether this will continue with Arniel remains to be seen, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Andrew Brunette treated Phil Tomasino in a similar fashion. Horrible usage all year and then instantly produces in a better role. Drury should be targeting both since they both fit in perfectly to add skill sets that we’re lacking in the organization.

As an aside, I keep seeing all of these suggestions to waste a ton of money on these UFA dmen. Most of those names are all players that will be instantly hated here and people will be calling Drury an idiot and counting the days until they’re gone.

Be smarter about how you want to upgrade the defense. Who knows what Utah is doing, but I’d see want they want for JJ Moser. He’s not flashy, but he’s a fantastic skater and makes the simple, high-efficiency plays. He’d complement Fox fantastically.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The bigger lesson from this run, and the one in 2022, is that relying on a goalie and hot special teams can work when winning a Cup, but if it doesnt come through you get ugly series like this. Lavi and Drury need to get to work because I think there is an effective 5v5 team somewhere in there with a few solid additions. I think a lot of it starts on D more than at forward
I think it starts on D and on 93 showing up 5v5...

Reactions: UnSandvich

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Dude. It didn’t struggle in a “small sample.” It struggled the entire second half of the playoff run. It was sitting at ~35% half-way through IIRC.
Aaron Judge might be the MVP and he struggled in March/April and picked it up in May/June.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
If there is truth to Cirelli on the block, package Chytil and Kakko for him. Probably wouldn't even need to add any picks.
Cirelli just had a career high of 45 points in 79 games and we are going to trade Kakko and Chytil for him? Big overpay, IMO. He also has a cap hit higher than Trocheck (he'd cost slightly less than Fil and KK COMBINED) and a non modified NTC (so I'm not sure how he is on the block) for the next three seasons... he is signed through age 33.
He's a nice player but I think that would be a BAD move.

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Get a top 6 winger and Mika will do better 5v5. Significant changes in personnel and usage needed on D

I think at this point it's not the winger that's the problem , the Kreider and Mika romance has to end. Both those guys need to be better 5 on 5 for us to have a chance. Might just be as simple as swapping centers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To be clear, this was the first year he’d been actively bad.
Previous year he was mediocre, but this year he fell off a cliff

Yeah the nose dive this year is not just a red flag, but an entire building filled with flashing red lights.

He was never a guy who should have been playing with Fox to begin with (even at his best.) Get Fox a real partner capable of playing top pair minutes and watch him rip off consecutive Norris trophies. If he had a competent partner in 2022-23 he would have closed enough of the production gap to Karlsson to win IMO.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Cirelli just had a career high of 45 points in 79 games and we are going to trade Kakko and Chytil for him? Big overpay, IMO. He also has a cap hit higher than Trocheck (he'd cost slightly less than Fil and KK COMBINED) and a non modified NTC (so I'm not sure how he is on the block) for the next three seasons... he is signed through age 33.
He's a nice player but I think that would be a BAD move.
Tampa is trading cirelli to clear cap space not for players. Draft picks. Hes a cap dump

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Goodrow 2.0 on the contract side

Ehhh sort of.

He doesn't have the miles Goodrow had before he was signed and he's better than Goodrow.

He shot 20392093203% last year and had a strong playoff so theres going to be some level of overpay there but he's a pretty good player aside from that. Can 10000% see the Rangers being in on him but he's also a guy I can see the Leafs or Devils overpaying for.

Reactions: McRanger92

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Get a top 6 winger and Mika will do better 5v5. Significant changes in personnel and usage needed on D
You have more faith in Zibs than I do. No one but Kreids has clicked with him for years and even with Chris Mika was unacceptable at 5v5 scoring. how about trying our 1RW, Laf, on the line... put Chytil with Pan and Troch?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ehhh sort of.

He doesn't have the miles Goodrow had before he was signed and he's better than Goodrow.

He shot 20392093203% last year and had a strong playoff so theres going to be some level of overpay there but he's a pretty good player aside from that. Can 10000% see the Rangers being in on him but he's also a guy I can see the Leafs or Devils overpaying for.

I think he definitely fits the mold of what we need in the middle 6. A guy who can play physical and put the puck in the net. But as you said hes a guy who gets overpaid on the UFA market. Matt Belesky and Micheal Ferland are 2 prime examples. I think there are guys available in trades that would cost less. They can probably get Jeannott from Tampa for a bag of pucks at this point.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Is the rangers 2020 draft their best ever?

Laff
Schneider
Cuylle
Rempe
Berard
Garand

Should be 6 guys who play 100+ nhl games imo
Going to be pretty close.
Especially if Laf continues his accent to being a star and Cuylle/schneider keep developing.
Berard could turn into an important impact player as well

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think at this point it's not the winger that's the problem , the Kreider and Mika romance has to end. Both those guys need to be better 5 on 5 for us to have a chance. Might just be as simple as swapping centers.

I'm open to all usage options but we can't ignore the top 6 RW spot year in and year out and expect the best. If we are looking for a "guy to play with Mika and Kreider" next year at the trade deadline, it's a failure by Drury.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think he definitely fits the mold of what we need in the middle 6. A guy who can play physical and put the puck in the net. But as you said hes a guy who gets overpaid on the UFA market. Matt Belesky and Micheal Ferland are 2 prime examples. I think there are guys available in trades that would cost less. They can probably get Jeannott from Tampa for a bag of pucks at this point.

Yeah but thats because Jeannott is not good.

I think Belesky is a good comp if you're worried about him going belly up. Ferland was good until he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad